Tiara

I just saw the 16 minute preview tonight. It's the same stuff I saw at Comic-Con, but truncated. I think it looks absolutely amazing. But today was incredibly disappointing because this is what they showed at Comic-Con, and it was in 3-D at Comic-Con. And I saw this at the IMAX screen at Universal and it wasn't presented in IMAX!!!!

I went with someone from AICN and the second it started we turned to each other and said, this isn't IMAX. It was a 35mm size print presented on the IMAX screen. So it was big, but I thought the whole point of AVATAR DAY being on IMAX screens was to present it in IMAX 3-D.

Had I know that it wasn't IMAX and I had already seen all of it, I may not have spent so much of my day focused on 16 minutes of a movie. Only for Cameron.

Seriously, no matter what you think of the trailer, who isn't going to go watch this (short of it getting Brett Ratner like reviews)

You know, I can't seem to really be able to care about this all that much.

Though I will say, it's cool that Dileep Rao is going to be in this, as he was just great in Drag Me to Hell.

I watched the trailer in 3D and wasn't impressed. I will not be watching Avatar. 300 million dollars is too much of a budget for a movie that reminds me of Delgo and stars Sam Worthington. Since it's by James Cameron, people are going to want to see it. So, Cameron doesn't need my ticket money.

This is James Cameron, ladies and gentlemen. He's always delivered pictures with solid story and character, even though they keep getting bigger in scope. Do you really think after 12 years he's going to disappoint?

Okay, so I was wrong. I'm an adult. I can admit that. Cameron did disappoint on story and character. And casting for that matter. I usually love the cast that he assembles.

But he sure did deliver an amazing spectacle with a handful of excellent performances. The ONLY way to see this is IMAX 3-D.

Saw it last night in 3D. I had a GREAT time! Visually incredible, even though the story was lifted from a dozen different sources and pretty much seen numerous times in various forms. Linda thought it was the most "beautiful" looking movie she had ever seen and her 17 year old son couldn't stop talking about it afterward. As a fantasy artist I found myself just drinking in the depth of the visuals throughout the film. and after the first 30 minutes I didn't even notice the 3D anymore because I got so engrossed in the story itself. I give it 4 stars as a movie going experience and intend to see it again.

Saw it last night in 3D. I had a GREAT time! Visually incredible, even though the story was lifted from a dozen different sources and pretty much seen numerous times in various forms. Linda thought it was the most "beautiful" movie she had ever seen and her 17 year old son couldn't stop talking about it afterward. As a fantasy artist I found myself just drinking in the depth of the visuals throughout the film. and after the first 30 minutes I didn't even notice the 3D anymore because I got so engrossed in the story itself. I give it 4 stars as a movie going experience and intend to see it again.

I was going to avoid this movie, but based on your review Joe, I'm heading out to see it.

Thanks!

Uh oh. So much responsibility! lol

See it in 3D. Worth it.

I was going to avoid this movie, but based on your review Joe, I'm heading out to see it.

Thanks!

I heard good things about this movie but watching Smurfs in the jungle doesn't look like something I wanna spend 7 dollars on. I can wait

Saw it in 3D on Thursday. The 3D is fantastic and it really does draw you into the film. The film itself is good, not great. Its too long and the plot is very predictable. Still the performances are great (Stephen Lang in particular), the design work is amazing and its a film clearly made with a lot of passion.

As the first film I've seen in 3D its convinced me that its a good thing.

I heard good things about this movie but watching Smurfs in the jungle doesn't look like something I wanna spend 7 dollars on. I can wait

There is absolutely no point in seeing this any other way than 3-D. This is a cinematic experience, not a home video one. I spent $18 for IMAX 3-D and it was worth every penny. Watching it at home on video is pointless. The effects are incredible and are hardly Smurfs.

In fact Sigourney's Avatar and Zoe's character are pretty damn sexy. (I know that sounds creepy. But it's true.)

I can not wait to see this in 3D! It's been a long time since I've seen any new releases, let alone a movie at the theater. It's going to be amazing!

Like i said...this movie rules!

especially in 3D so Aly you got to see this monumental epic movie ;)

Like i said...this movie rules!

especially in 3D so Aly you got to see this monumental epic movie ;)

Oh I plan on going to see it in the next couple of days. I would have checked it out earlier but after 8 months in Kuwait, the whole family is just wearing me down wanting every single minute of my time. LOL so when I can break away for an hour or 3 I'll go check it out, and let you know what I think! :P

i am sure you will like the movie...^^

I saw it last weekend in 3D and I can only recommend it!

Visually fantastic, the animated characters are very convincing as is the environment of Pandora - beautiful, dangerous and mysterious at the same time. The setting shows a lot of attention to detail and especially the exterior scenes have a great atmosphere (for example, through the bioluminescence of the creatures and plants). There is a good balance between the action and the quite scenes, the showdown in the last 30 minutes or so is pretty spectacular.

The story is pretty simple, without feeling hollow or boring. Maybe the message, which is praiseworthy, is delivered a bit too blatantly and the characters and the dialogue could have used a bit more drive here and there, but that doesn't hurt the movie too much, because of it's strengths.

Jake Sully works pretty well as the protagonist, because you discover Pandora along with him and you can feel with him more strongly, because he especially enjoys the new freedom and ability to walk/run again through his Avatar. Stephen Lang is very cool as the tough Colonel Quaritch and Sigourney Weaver did a great job as well. James Horner's score is very solid.

It's an absolute successful comeback for James Cameron and I'm looking forward to the sequel. "Avatar" is not just a movie, it's an adventure :P

The movie of the year for me, together with "Inglorious Basterds" and "Star Trek". But I haven't seen Moon, The Road, The Hurt Locker, District 9 and Sherlock Holmes yet...

8.5/10

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I saw this over Christmas break up north with my brother Harry. Harry is the person who introduced me to much of Cameron's work when I was a kid. I saw Aliens, and The Abyss the first time with Harry, so it was fitting that we saw this one together. It was just in a shitty little 2D theater in Cheboygan Michigan. Maybe that killed the film for me.

I did enjoy a lot of the visuals (how do you not dig floating mountains?) and I felt it was great to see a new James Cameron flick. But, I just hated the bio-luminescent world. It did not leave me in awe, it did nothing for me. I rolled my eyes when the floating fishing lures showed up and were indeed, as I feared, forest spirits. I rolled my eyes when every step was lit up under their feet. I rolled my eyes a lot, so to speak. It was a corny flick in a lot of ways.

I'm going to touch on a few spoilers, so if you haven't seen it, don't read the rest of my post.

I had a very hard time feeling any sympathy for the Na'vi, especially when the giant gunships showed up at the big sacred tree and they shot arrows at them, after being totally surprised. I've said it elsewhere, but if you shoot arrows at gunships you deserve to lose your big tree. Stephen Lang's character was not only a man of his word, but he didn't betray the human race. He had a job to do, and he did it as best he could. Jake Sully on the other hand not only betrayed his own people, he did it for "local tail" and he was unable to properly prepare the Na'vi for the first attack because he was too busy being in love to figure out what would happen when diplomacy failed. How the hell am I supposed to like this guy? had he stopped being doe eyed in love long enough to think about what was to come, and get his new chosen tribe ready for battle, I may have ended up liking him a lot more.

And, I really did not enjoy the ending. Was I really supposed to root for the non humans to win? I'm HUMAN. ;)

All that said, I did enjoy a lot of the setup of the story, and I liked the hardware a whole lot. I'm a hardware guy. And seeing it with Harry certainly made it special, especially since he's been very sick recently, and I've been quite worried about him, and my brother Mike. We had coffee after the film and got to discuss a lot of it, and spend some one on one time together.

I doubt very seriously I'll see the sequel, but you never know.

I got to see this in 3D, and I was impressed. The film it's self was pretty good. Mostly what I expected and a little more. I'm not sure how it played in 2D, but this is what I've been hoping for in a 3D film, espessically folling Tom and Tim with Dark Country. Now I'm more pissed than ever as to what that would have looked like. They didn't pull the gimic crap, it was just a film in 3D so you felt as if you where part of it.

Avatar is deffinatly a summer type film with more brains to it than the rest in that catagory. It does deliver on what it set out to, and that was a hell of a ride with amazing visuals and an in-depth world. There was way too much to take in at one time. I'm glad to see this is making it's way well past the 1 billion world wide mark in three weeks, maybe now studios will wake up that the dawn of 3D film is here.

I have to say that, yes this movie was good...but I have to shake my head at everyone else giving it so much praise. I liked that the 3D wasn't all in your face like the other movies (it was more subtle) and the visuals were pretty cool, but damn, the story line was boring as shit! I felt like I was re-living history class again...ummm...what did the Amercians do to the Indians oh so long ago? Same damn thing...and it was pretty obvious as to what ol' boy was gonna do in the end....I woulda done the same thing. LOL.....

But, all n all...it was a good movie! I kept taking my 3D glasses off during the movie, flippin 'em on and off...a lot of the time during the movie...you really didn't need 'em...because the 3D is so subtle, there probably isn't much of a difference between the 3D and 2D. But I think I'm gonna have to agree with Raffi when he said he could wait for the DVD...I coulda too....but glad I did see it in 3D (probably cuz I haven't been to the theather in 8 months, LOL!)

-Aly

Plot spoilers below -

Can't imagine what this would have been like in 2D.

Like Dark Country you're really missing the entire effect/sensation/full sensory experience when viewed in 2D. I can certainly imagine how seeing this film in 2D kills the magic.

Listen, I used to be a cannibal, and when the missionaries started praising the new technology my inclination was to eat their livers (and I don't even like liver).

But I have been converted and baptized. I now know first hand what all the fuss is about and let me tell you, it can make all the difference in the world.

Having said that . . . I have just returned from seeing it in Imax 3D and you can call me a dope, you can call me a sap, but you'd get whacked in the chops if you said it to my face ;)

Seriously, the experience I just had was fuck-all grade A absolute incredible. I can count on one, OK maybe one and a half hands the times I felt altered and zapped to the core by a film, and Avatar has joined the ranks. I went in knowing next to nothing about the film. I purposefully shied away from absorbing anything promotional prior to seeing this.

What I DID hear is what we've all heard, the animation/FX/3D/concept etc, etc . . . are over the top off the chart but the story is derivative of a lot we've seen before. We've seen it all before. Nothing original.

Those criticisms mean absolutely nothing to this viewer. The sheer amount of eye candy practically demanded that the story be exactly the kind of thing it was. Simple? Easy? Predictable? That's for you to decide.

Lemme tell ya, even if it has a Pocahontas , Dances With Wolves, Captain Jack goes native type of plot you've NEVER seen it like this.

Star Wars is derivative, Raiders Of The Lost Ark is derivative, lots of our favorite films ARE. Personally I loved the spin.

I'm bummed I say, BUMMED that my buddy-pal Noeland did not dig the bio-luminessence. I'm really bummed he was rolling his eyeballs ;) through the film. Maybe that's fallout from a less than it deserves 2D viewing.

I for one was with the tribe. To me it wasn't the Na'vi VS the Humans, it was siding with a culture against pure unadulterated greed. Remember Noeland, it wasn't one or two humans siding with the Na'vi, it was mostly non military personnel (and cheers for Michelle Rodriguez!). As was mentioned in the film, most of the military were bloody-minded mercenaries anyway, and mercenaries generally offer their services to whomever is paying the right price, so I had little invested with them as they weren't fighting to protect their home and their loved ones. And when I looked into Giovanni Rabisi's (character's) eyes/face before the final order to destroy I saw a guy who kinda hated himself. At that point, in his soul, he knew better, but that couldn't stop him from being a coward. I get the military aspect . . . You don't question orders. As a soldier you do what you're ordered to do or it becomes chaos, when the machine breaks down, WE break down. But I've always been a big fan of soldiers in the field who defied or deviated from orders because they have a brain and a conscience.

Call me a tree hugger but when I read a book like The Last Of The Mohicans and I learn about how the Natives of this country lived in harmony and WITH the environment (to put it mildly), worshipped it even, well I'll take that over the throw-away, selfish, slacker, every man for himself ideal that is so prevalent in today's society. In our race to industrialization and technology we've lost something as a culture.

Anyway, I don't mean to preach. I'm just saying I believe the good guys won and I'll leave it at that.

It would take all night to go down the list of little details that impressed the shit out of me, I'm talking everything from flying dragon beasts (courtesy of the incredible Wayne Barlowe) to two computer generated characters locked in a kiss that actually looked real for the fist time. The softness and suppleness of the textures and skins, muscle movement, etc . . . One of my favorite moments in the film was seeing the Banshee flying down over a gigantic cliffside and out over the breakers, swooping down and into our faces. It was a uh . . . wow, moment. And there were more than a few. To me THAT'S the problem with the film, I couldn't take it all in during one sitting. But that's not a bad thing ;)

Hey, I don't want to elevate this film to mythical status, sure it wasn't perfect, what ever is? I just went with it and had an unforgettable ride.

I'm glad it's raking in dough and playing to packed houses everywhere. Seriously. And not just because I personally enjoyed it.

If the film bombed, tanked and died then that would mean the end of a blank check for a pioneer/innovator like James Cameron, and that would truly be unfortunate. For us more than him.

Without autuers like Cameron (like him or no) the technology of films and filmmaking would suffer a lot more atrophy. He's pushing the envelope in the best possible way.

We need creators like him to help set the standard of excellence. It doesn't matter that he's not making the next Chinatown or Last Emperor.

To Raffi, I say dude, buddy. . . Forget waiting for video or skipping the smurf show. That's just silly. These ain't cute little smurfs.

Get thee to an Imax 3D theater post-haste and see this now while it's on the big screen.

Anything less is an injustice, and you may never have the opportunity again.

Video/DVD/Blu-Ray is just dandy for darn near anything these days, but NOT for this.

I can confidently state that you will not regret it.

Must . . . s l e e p

- TB

That's a very passionate post there, Bradstreet. A fun read.

I gotta say, the other week when hubby and I went to see Sherlock Holmes in the theater, there were folks in front of us going to see Avatar. They had the option of 2D or 3D. It's $10 just to get into the theater and an extra $3.50 for the 3D. Both groups chose 2D. We're talking small screen here, but I thought, man, if I was going to see Avatar and could see it in 3D, that is what I would spring for. Although, I'm sure IMAX would be the best place to spend the money for the experience. But with the economy the way it is, $13.50 is a lot to drop on one seat in a movie theater.

The visuals sound stunning. That they wrap around a time worn story is secondary. Most stories about the human condition are time worn.

I thought the $10.50 (regular tickets here are $7.50) to see this was a bit much too, (that's when you overlook the fan-boy stuff though ;) ), but I gotta say, it's worth it. Part of the experience of seeing this film in 3D is that it's one of the first of it's kind and it is now a part of film-making history. I know that seems a bit silly to say, but you need to look at the facts. It'll only be a matter of weeks before this becomes the biggest film of all time, and studios will want more fully 3D films.

Also, because of Avatar, and not taking away from other films that are 3D, this year we will be seeing 3D players and TV's in the home. A lot of the front runners in 3D tech worked with Cameron to perfect the technology (Panisonic seems to be leading the pack, but I could be wrong). I'm glad this "hokey gimic" is getting attention and I'm even more happy that it was a Sci-Fi film to be the front runner.

Bottom line, if you're waiting to see this on video when you have a chance to see it in 3D on the big screen, see it on the big screen. Will it be your favorite film? Maybe, maybe not, but you will have one hell of a ride. With Avatar, I was excited by the prospect of Cameron doing Sci-Fi again. Then the 3D thing happened and everything escalated. I can honestly say that for the first time in a really long time, we had an event film that actually felt like an event. Every summer we are bombarded by $200 million action films, and that's all good and fine, but the event film has kind of dissapeared.

Avatar, for me at least made that "event film" feeling come back, and not just fall be the way-side as another big budget actioner.