Preacher

Mike V

I am stunned right now.

Yeah, they will have to totally butcher this to get it down to a one shot movie...a cable tv show would have the best by far.

Guest AdminGuyX

Sam Mendes did well with Road to Perdition, but I'm not sold on him for Preacher.

It's an interesting choice, certainly better than Johnson.

I'm expecting a franchise with this, and they'll probably cast names in the lead roles, so I don't think they'll try and tell the whole story with the first film.

In fact, it'll probably be an origin story where he meets Cassidy and Tulip at the end to hit the road.

Yeah, but there's so much vulgarity and blasphemy that even if the first movie is a great adaptation, I seriously am doubting it to be a big enough hit for a sequel.

I was very happy with the prospect of a HBO Preacher series, I think that is the best we could have possibly hoped for as far as doing the Preacher justice goes.

While I am thrilled about Sam Mendes directing, I do have two major concerns reltated to the movie format, regardless of director.

1. No way you can cram the entire Preacher saga into a two hour a movie, you need at least a trilogy do it somewhat justice, and even that is cutting short.

I hope Sam Mendes is already aware of this, and planning to shoot three movies at once, LOTR style.

2. Controversial content. I love it to bits, but I suspect the Christian Taliban are going to go even more nuts than they did with The Golden Compass once they learn what the movie is really about.

I fear it will be watered down immensely to satisfy the fundamentalist protestors. The previous movie adapation, set to be directed by Rachel Talalay and star James Marsden, was heavily rumoured to be PG-13 nan d have anything that could offend taken out…thank god that abomination never saw the light of day.

Now bring one Lance Henriksen for The Saint of Killers!

2. Controversial content. I love it to bits, but I suspect the Christian Taliban are going to go even more nuts than they did with The Golden Compass once they learn what the movie is really about.

I fear it will be watered down immensely to satisfy the fundamentalist protestors. The previous movie adapation, set to be directed by Rachel Talalay and star James Marsden, was heavily rumoured to be PG-13 nan d have anything that could offend taken out…thank god that abomination never saw the light of day.

From what I've read, some folks had a problem with Golden Compass because it was (and very strongly so) marketed to children. If they made Preacher with a PG-13 rating they would be stupid for two reasons - 1) They would be marketing to youngsters again, which would make the same people angry and 2) They would displease the folks who like the comic's storyline. If they have any sense at all, they'll make it a hard R. It's readers will be happy, it won't be marketed to children, and the folks who don't like this sort of thing won't even bother to go see it to complain about it.

And as an aside, the term "Christian Taliban" is highly offensive. Or did I miss a beheading when the Golden Compass was released?

I'm guessing they're going to go all 'Constantine' on it and just amalgamate a few bits together to make a new, but similar story. Can't see Sam Mendes signing up for any Trilogy, not to mind one that isn't that well known outside of the comic book crowd.

Love the idea of Mendes having a crack though, he brings a lot of intelligence to what he does and most people tend to forget just how funny American Beauty was!

Considering the material, I'd say one movie is planned. And unless it does amazing box office, a sequel is doubtful. I mean it's the story of one mans literal search for God, so he could kick his ass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Back in November we were a bit confused about Vertigo's adaptation of Preacher, due in no small part to Variety's occasional quick-draw reporting wherein they claimed Sam Mendes was, in fact, directing the upcoming project. The truth is, a big-screen version of the tale of Jesse Custer, a preacher possessed by the offspring of an angel and demon, is still very much in development, and Sam Mendes is still very much in decision mode. MTV recently caught up with the Revolutionary Road director at the Golden Globes to set the record straight. In the interview, Mendes tells them, "Whether or not I have the skill to make it into a movie, I don't know… as soon as the script is there, I'll know whether I want to do it or not."

Hopefully the next bit of reporting we do on Preacher will be to say that the script is finished. At that point, we should get a feel for how the 75-issue Vertigo comic book series will be adapted and whether Mendes will helm the project (or not). As of now, no writer has even been hired just yet, which is part of the problem. What's not in question, however, is Mendes' enthusiasm for Preacher. He commented: "It's a gripping story, fantastic characters, great visual landscape… it mixes supernatural and real worlds brilliantly… it's funny, and it's absolutely, completely blasphemous, possibly even sacrilegious." Definitely right up my alley, so I'm anxious to see how this all shapes up. Hopefully Columbia finds a writer for this soon. Interested?

Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/01/13/dir...ed-to-preacher/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived