sidewaysgaze

The Amateur Kind

Sorry, I just had to post a thread on this! :lol: I actually don't recall the details of when this will get made and the specific details of the film. Can someone fill us in?

Jen

This is the official RAW Studios blurb about it:

"THE AMATEUR KIND (crime/adventure) - In development

A couple of small time criminals try to outwit a couple of call girls out of a million bucks they stole from their pimp ­ who stole it from the Mob..."

http://www.raw-studios.com/about.html

Jen

Sorry, I just had to post a thread on this! :lol: I actually don't recall the details of when this will get made and the specific details of the film. Can someone fill us in?

Jen

Isn't this a heist movie?

-JO

Tom and RAW Studios have so many things going on that I'm getting them all confused! :lol:

This one is supposed to be an "action noir" that Tom will direct, and supposedly Tom wrote it (the screenplay?) with David James Kelly...

Not sure if my info is correct - it's what I have scribbled down on paper from past online interviews, I think.

Jen

Guest AdminGuyX

I love that Tom is directing and writing films on his own terms, and without trying to make some kind of gazillion dollar suckfest.

I absolutely love this title for a low budget noir about small time crooks. Really cool. Rolls right off the tonque.

Tom is doing what I've always dreamed of doing. Hopefully my dream will come true. I'm still young. ;)

Make films that mean something to people, not pieces of shit that people will forget and move onto the next big thing.

THE AMATEUR KIND is a damn good title.

-JO

I love that Tom is directing and writing films on his own terms, and without trying to make some kind of gazillion dollar suckfest.

I absolutely love this title for a low budget noir about small time crooks. Really cool. Rolls right off the tonque.

Damn, that's probably why they didn't accept my script for "Gazillion Dollar Suckfest: The Search for Curly's Gold."

Heheh,

Amateur Kind is going to be fucking straight up cool.

It IS an urban crime noir with a very original script by David and Tom.

I spent a lot of time doing prliminary production design on this.

Tom came up with a great concept that will blend live action with digital plates for most of the exteriors.

The city is a nondescript "every city" type of setting that will have a mish mash of architecture.

Designing the look for that is one of the things I'm very much looking forward to.

I don't want to divulge too much about the plot but some of our own blurb reads inaccurate.

The screenplay has changed somewhat since that was written, and suffice it to say, it's way cooler.

We know the color palette, we know what we want it to look like, and we have a nice list of actors in mind for the key parts.

If all goes well with "Dark Country", which we start shooting in a month, Amateur will be next in line.

Sony/Hyde Park have major interest in it and Tom and I hope to start up our preproduction while he's editing Dark Country.

That's the official update for now.

And because I just love to get people all antsy for more, here is a look at an UN-OFFICIAL poster design I worked up for The Amateur Kind.

Please keep in mind that this is really just a "poster style" piece of preproduction art. The presence of actor Tcheky Karyo is only wishful thinking on my part.

He is in no way associated with The Amateur Kind. So, apologies to Mr. Karyo ;)

- TB

amateurposter.1b.jpg

Heheh,

Amateur Kind is going to be fucking straight up cool.

It IS an urban crime noir with a very original script by David and Tom.

I spent a lot of time doing prliminary production design on this.

Tom came up with a great concept that will blend live action with digital plates for most of the exteriors.

The city is a nondescript "every city" type of setting that will have a mish mash of architecture.

Designing the look for that is one of the things I'm very much looking forward to.

I don't want to divulge too much about the plot but some of our own blurb reads inaccurate.

The screenplay has changed somewhat since that was written, and suffice it to say, it's way cooler.

We know the color palette, we know what we want it to look like, and we have a nice list of actors in mind for the key parts.

If all goes well with "Dark Country", which we start shooting in a month, Amateur will be next in line.

Sony/Hyde Park have major interest in it and Tom and I hope to start up our preproduction while he's editing Dark Country.

That's the official update for now.

And because I just love to get people all antsy for more, here is a look at an UN-OFFICIAL poster design I worked up for The Amateur Kind.

Please keep in mind that this is really just a "poster style" piece of preproduction art. The presence of actor Tcheky Karyo is only wishful thinking on my part.

He is in no way associated with The Amateur Kind. So, apologies to Mr. Karyo ;)

- TB

amateurposter.1b.jpg

Man, I didn't know that Dark Country started filming that soon. Good luck with production.

That is one sweet ass poster. Even if it is wishful thinking it works, very nice design. I really like the gun above The Amateur Kind. Very cool.

-JO

Very cool. Can't wait to see this. People tend to forget that movie posters are a great way to sell a film. Tim, you've sold me on this one.

Any chance of a Dark Country poster ala Bradstreet?

Doing posters for Dark Country has been the plan from the start.

That solidified the moment Tom walked into the Executive Producer's office at Sony and he had one of my Punisher poster's hanging on the wall.

The Exec Producer is a big fan . . . How cool!! Tom said , "Hey, that's Bradstreet's work, that's the guy I want to do the movie posters."

The guy said yeah, I know his work and we'de love if he did the posters. So that pretty much wrote it in stone. We have some very cool concepts for the "A" style theatrical, and some even cooler ideas for the "B" style stuff and hopefully a teaser, which I'm sure I'll be starting on after I return home from the set in November.

I'm planting this post in the "Dark Country thread as well so we don't get too off topic here.

If you want to respond to this please pop over there and continue.

Cheers - TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Good Golly Miss Molly. Awesome poster! That sumbitch pops right off the monitor. And how cool is it that the executive producer is a fan of your work? Congrats Tim. The future looks bright, doesn't it?

Well this certainly sounds like a great project. So, we can expect a sin city type of production with this one? Shot on green screen with digital environments, or did I misunderstand?

Nope, yer real close.

Lots of background plates for exteriors.

We have to do major design for the city stuff.

One of the movies that is inspiring us with some of the interiors is "Oldboy", and we've got some great ideas on how we want to execute the strip club stuff.

There are seedy motels, gritty urban street fare, cars, and poetic scenes of gunfire. It's going to be a bitchtastic.

- tb

hahaha, Old boy was going to be my next post on the DISTURBED THE HELL OUT OF ME thread. But it is a great visually moody piece to draw inspiration from. I can't wait to see some of the stuff once you get it solidified. I hope you can give us a sneak peek every now and then?

Guest AdminGuyX

Anything new moving on this one, or has it been pushed back in favor of Devil's Commando's?

Jane said The Devil's Commandos is next and I think it has alot to do with Todd Farmer's cred.

I'm assuming SONY is more willing to finance something with Farmer's name on it than this.

-TL

Sounds like another good Raw project to keep an eye on.

Would love to see Tom and Harvey Keitel appear together in this, that would be too much talent in one place though. ;)