Guest AdminGuyX

Music: what are you currently infatuated with?

Thanks Rosella!

Here's another one I grabbed off the euro charts this past summer...

http://youtu.be/9CoclbThsd4

This jam got my head bobbing back-and-forth. :).

http://youtu.be/2aRWBHEIzNA

Sade ...

It's really a shame that I never ever got to see her in concert (wish I had)... I hope one day that I will still get to...always loved her and always will! She's got a striking voice like no other and all class...

Thanks rosella!

If you need an Interpol fix, try out this NJ band who sound very much like Interpol, in the best ways:

"Are We the Dining Dead?" is faster and "Sail Away" is slower and dreamier, especially at its end:

http://newpoliticiansmusic.bandcamp.com/

"Sail Away" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LAqOQDpzs8

Friend the guys at

https://www.facebook.com/NewPoliticiansMusic?hc_location=timeline

and here's my interview w/ the band:

http://www.adequacy.net/2013/12/interview-with-new-politicians/

Jen

If fast 'n' furiously fun, wild tunes that sound cartoon-like (as in Road Runner colliding with a speed metal guitarist who collides with a cheerfully demented Japanese female shouter), look no further than the long-running, much-lauded (now a duo) Melt-Banana:

"The Hive" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcqC8LSoBws

and my review of Yako and Agata's album fetch:

http://rebelnoise.com/reviews/melt-banana-fetch

Jen

Black Angels! I'm hooked! That HBO show True Detectives got me hooked on them.

Super-heavy sludge/metal/noise duo Jucifer (Amber Valentine and Ed Livengood) has a new album out with a Russian title that's translated as There Is No Land Beyond The Volga. The most, uhhhh, 'accessible' song may be "Fight Hard Live Free" - Here's the link to audio:

http://jucifer-official.bandcamp.com/track/fight-hard-live-free

and here's a link to my review of the album:

"Bad-ass duo Amber and Ed release a super-heavy beast of an album."

http://rebelnoise.com/reviews/jucifer-there-is-no-land-beyond-the-volga

Jen

Pretty cool Jen!

I went old school and started my day with a soundtrack to a old french film whose name I cant recall but the soundtrack features Miles Davis. It's loose and tastefull playing. Then moved into some 80's metal with some classic Judas Priest, then some Austraila Rock by a band called Powderfinger, returned to the 80's for Tora Tora's debut album and rounded the day out with Wasp- The Headless Children.

Then I was too sick to stay at work and came home, poured some cough medicine down my throat and passed out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p-BfRFPGR0

Bastille - Pompeii

This song has a way of making me feel better no matter what kind of day I'm having. :)

I watched a music video called Turn out the lights when you leave by Elton John. It had our very own Thomas Jane in it I was totally floored. B)

I watched a music video called Turn out the lights when you leave by Elton John. It had our very own Thomas Jane in it I was totally floored. B)

I love that video! :) I think it's been posted on here somewhere....Oh well...Here it is, again in case anyone missed it:

A buddy of mine has a band called More Than Enough. If you like pop/punk you will dig them. Here is a link to their reverbnation page: http://www.reverbnation.com/morethanenough/song/22087006-so-long-and-thanks-for-all-dick#!/morethanenough

They have opened for Real Big Fish and Motion City Soundtrack.

"So long and thanks for all the dick pictures" is about a former band mate who never showed for practice or shows, and then sent dick pics to the rest of the bands girlfriends.

"Yay for coozie" is my favorite. Just a good song and there's a Grain Belt shout out. If you see their logo, it is a spin on the Grain Belt logo. That's how Josh and I really bonded. If you are not from Minnesota or the Midwest you probably have not heard of Grain Belt or Schell's beer. His grandpa worked for Grain Belt in Minneapolis until they were bought and moved to Wisconson. Eventually, Schell's brewing bought it and brought it back to Minnestoa. My grandpa worked for Schell's. If you ever get the chance, swing by the Schell's garden in New Ulm. It's a neat little place that's tucked away. We took the kids last year and they loved it. Schell's also produces 1919 Root Beer, not sure if that's big outside of Minnesota.

Anyway, More Than Enough, check them out. You can find them on itunes and Spotify as well.

A buddy of mine has a band called More Than Enough. If you like pop/punk you will dig them. Here is a link to their reverbnation page: http://www.reverbnation.com/morethanenough/song/22087006-so-long-and-thanks-for-all-dick#!/morethanenough

They have opened for Real Big Fish and Motion City Soundtrack.

"So long and thanks for all the dick pictures" is about a former band mate who never showed for practice or shows, and then sent dick pics to the rest of the bands girlfriends.

"Yay for coozie" is my favorite. Just a good song and there's a Grain Belt shout out. If you see their logo, it is a spin on the Grain Belt logo. That's how Josh and I really bonded. If you are not from Minnesota or the Midwest you probably have not heard of Grain Belt or Schell's beer. His grandpa worked for Grain Belt in Minneapolis until they were bought and moved to Wisconson. Eventually, Schell's brewing bought it and brought it back to Minnestoa. My grandpa worked for Schell's. If you ever get the chance, swing by the Schell's garden in New Ulm. It's a neat little place that's tucked away. We took the kids last year and they loved it. Schell's also produces 1919 Root Beer, not sure if that's big outside of Minnesota.

Anyway, More Than Enough, check them out. You can find them on itunes and Spotify as well.

Cool! Listening to More Than Enough's "Yay For Coozy" as I type this right now. :P So far, I like what I'm hearing.

Noeland and I were talking about this band the other night. If you have not heard of Lucero, you need to fix that, ASAP. One of the cool things about this band is that they can't really be pegged for a genre, and that's the beauty. Punk, Country, Blues? Who cares, it's just good.

Guest AdminGuyX

Yes indeed. Lucero is favorite of mine. And the singer Ben Nichols put out a great solo CD too, written after reading Blood Meridian from Cormac McCarthy.

I hadn't have heard of Lucero or Ben Nichols, but I enjoyed both songs just now. :)

Infatuated? Ummmmm…..More like hardcore in love with…

Let me tell you a story…
On Sunday night, I saw Kiefer Sutherland in concert (trying to remain calm because the insanely, incredibly awesome parts are coming). :D I found out that Kiefer was going on tour just last month. He has an album coming out this summer (I CAN’T WAIT!). Anyways, I found out he was coming to Indy. Needless to say, but I’m gonna, I flipped out. O-MOTHER-OF-ALL-GOODNESSES, I flipped out!!! I went Ka-razy. After taking a few breaths, though, I tried to play it cool. Honest. And for me this wasn’t a question of going or not. I was gonna go. Done deal. No matter what. If I was sick with the flu, I would’ve gone (luckily I was perfectly healthy but for stomach butterflies). Tickets went on sale the following day, & I got tickets that very day. Only $17.50 (plus fees) per ticket to see Kiefer? Well-worth it. Trust me.
Okay…..Now, you know me. Whenever I meet someone, I know it’s my one chance to make that person feel as special as he or she always been to me. Kiefer’s no exception (in fact, he set the bar highest than anyone has ever). So I painted some shirts for me & my mom to wear to the show. Hers read “KIEFER SUTHERLAND DOWN IN A HOLE“ & mine read “KIEFER SUTHERLAND ROCKS MY WORLD.” Then, of course, I made him a gift. Just in case. Because this is a concert not a convention. There’s no guarantee you’re going to meet the musician or band at these types of shows. I know that. I’m not delusional. In the past, whenever I’ve attended concerts, I’ve only met the opening acts never the main attraction. But that all changed on Sunday.
And as much as it is for his character Jack Bauer, timing really is everything.
Kiefer was playing at The Vogue in Indy. A venue I’ve never been to before. Doors opened at 7pm. Show started at 8pm. Kiefer’s opener was an artist named Austin Plaine. He’s pretty good. Nice guy. Saw him leave after the show out in the parking lot. He had to carry his own guitar. I almost offered to help, but ya never know how stars interpret that kind of thing.
So even though we knew that the doors opened at 7pm, we wanted to get there early. We were standing in line a little after 3pm. Actually, we were 2nd in line for awhile. Actually, there wasn’t a line for awhile. It was just 5 people for the first hour and a half. But the cool thing about it was we were so close to the entry that we could hear Kiefer doing his soundcheck. Very cool in itself.
But then….something amazing happened. Kiefer was spotted outside near the back of the building. So me & my family & a few others went over to meet him. He could not have been sweeter. Talk about down-to-earth. This guy has no idea how famous he is. He doesn’t look at himself as a big deal even though he’s THE biggest deal. He’s the REAL deal. He even tells you his own name. Like we don’t even know it by heart. And when we were in line, we even saw him walk across the street & down a sidewalk by himself to the restaurant on the corner. And inside, they actually made him wait. :blink:
So…..I shook his hand. Yes, I was shaking. But I powered through it, & I gave him his gift. He said, “Thank You.” He opened the little gift box. Awwwww…..I made him a guitar pick necklace (his initials on one side, mine on the other). I also included a quarter (a reference to Truth or Consequences: NM (my favorite Kiefer film) & told him why. He laughed that laugh of his. He was so appreciative. He pulled me in for a hug. :wub: And he told me that he’d wear the necklace that night. Still melting. He asked what my name was. Then he said my name back to me. It’s amazing that I was still standing after all of this.
His tour manager complimented my shirt design. Kiefer looked at it & smiled at me. *fanning myself*
Somehow I managed to ask him to sign my Truth or Consequences: NM booklet & requested him to take a picture with me (we were cheek to cheek). I’m a puddle on the ground by now. And you wanna know how polite Kiefer is? Before we took the photo (mind you, it was a very sunny day), I remembered to take off my sunglasses. I just don’t want to have my eyes covered in a once-in-a-lifetime photo op, y’know. Now Kiefer was wearing his sunglasses, which was cool. No big deal. He looks great in them. But because I took off my sunglasses, Kiefer said that he’d do the same & take off his sunglasses, too. So that just made the picture even more special. I mean, the fact that he noticed that I did that. Everything happened so fast, but the little in between details didn’t go unnoticed by him or me. Or unappreciated. B)
And, man, I love Kiefer’s eyes.
So then we went back up front and got back in our places in line. I was still shaking. And not quite sure that what had happed was real or a hallucination from the heat. So the show hadn’t even begun, & already we got to get up close & personal with Kiefer. I was excited already, now I was pumped & grinning from ear to ear. He made the whole long wait worth it.
Doors opened at 7pm. It was a hassle to get in with a wheelchair, but I don’t really feel like going in to detail about that here. This is a happy story. And I haven’t even gotten to the part that made me cry, yet (a good kind of cry, I promise).
Austin Plaine came on right at 8pm. He went straight in to playing his set. He’s got some good songs. He even played one he wrote five days before, so that was impressive. He talked to the crowd a bit. Not too many people were paying attention, though. A lot of people kept talking. Some were just tired from waiting outside for so long.
Kiefer already made my day, but when he took to the stage he made my night, too………
………………He was wearing the necklace!!!!!!!!!!!…………… :wub: :wub: :wub:
That was overwhelming for me to see. I got pretty teary-eyed.
So I’m filming his performance & wiping away tears of bliss & astonishment. I can’t believe he wore the necklace. I know he said he would but that was four hours ago. And even when he said it I thought he was just being kind, again. Or that he would intend to wear it but it would slip his mind or get lost backstage, but there it was……around his neck. He kept his promise, even though he didn't owe me anything. I’m crying right now as I type this.
It’s just that I always go above and beyond for a person, & it’s just always nice & unexpected when my level of appreciation is returned & surpassed.
Then after he performed a few songs, he pointed out how he received a couple of gifts. He mentioned a card he got from someone. And then he pointed out the guitar pick necklace that a “young girl” gave him. Okay. That’s definitely the first time anyone has ever showed off my gift that I made for them. To an audience that big, no less. I was truly moved. Speechless. :wub:
All of his songs are great & his covers are perfect (better than originals), but my favorite original songs of his are:
Can’t Stay Away
I’ll Do Anything
All She Wrote
Not Enough Whiskey
Calling Out Your Name
Going Home
My Best Friend
You can YouTube those songs or just wait for the album, but I strongly encourage each & every single one of you to buy it when it comes out. If you like Americana, folk-tinged rock, then Kiefer is your man.
After the show was over, we hollered for an encore. He didn’t keep us waiting for long. He was soon back out with 3 more songs. Then, it was time to go. Almost. I had to go over & buy some merchandise. I thought the prices would be higher, but actually I was able to buy a t-shirt, poster, & sampler CD all for $45. A bargain! My brother bought a shirt, then we were good to go.
Great day. Awesome night.
I think the only thing that would’ve made this night more perfect would’ve been for Kiefer to have had Rusty Blades as his opener. Because I’m now realizing that my only chance of meeting Tom…er….I mean Rusty Blades is at a small intimate concert. Track him down & get him on the road, boys! ;)
But basically to sum up, Kiefer has ruined everyone else for me. It’s true. He set the bar high earlier & topped his own high bar that same day. His kind gestures caught me off guard, & I’ll never forget what he did for me. The man sang his heart out with a part of me onstage with him……Okay…..Here come the waterworks, again.
(trying to pull myself together over here)
He doesn’t take one moment of his new musical path for granted. And there were several moments of the show where I looked up & just saw Kiefer as not the actor I grew up watching but the rock star he has really become. Just a very gentle, down-to-earth rock star who loves his fans as much as we all love him back.
4/24 -- One INCREDIBLE day! B)
(pictures soon to follow)

If you made it through reading my long journal post above, THANK YOU!! :D I appreciate your time & energy.

Here's an article about the concert in Indy: http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/2016/04/25/whiskey-and-honesty-kiefer-sutherlands-country-music-debut/83514218/ (it mentions the necklace & contains great pics of Kiefer wearing it)

Here's a slideshow for your viewing pleasure (you can even see the reverse side of the necklace in detail): http://m.nuvo.net/indianapolis/slideshow-kiefer-sutherland-at-the-vogue/Content?oid=3949585#PhotoSwipe1462226867976

& just in case you don't track my every move on Twitter.....

......I proudly present to you...........my pic of Kiefer & me..... :wub:

KS_RW_BestMomentEver.jpg

(that's our car reflected onto Kiefer's tour bus)

If Kiefer & his band play anywhere near you, please go out & see them. I strongly advise it. They are tremendous!

Guest AdminGuyX

Holy shit, that is great story! You look like you're about to burst in that photo. :)

I'm really glad he was so open and friendly with you, and that he wore that necklace. I have been a fan of his for a very long time. Now, even bigger fan.

I'll be picking up his album for sure.

Thank you for sharing that. Very, very cool!

Holy shit, that is great story! You look like you're about to burst in that photo. :)

I'm really glad he was so open and friendly with you, and that he wore that necklace. I have been a fan of his for a very long time. Now, even bigger fan.

I'll be picking up his album for sure.

Thank you for sharing that. Very, very cool!

Thanks, Noeland!! Ha! That might be a bit of an understatement, but I yeah....I could barely contain my excitement/nerves. ^_^

I've been a fan of Kiefer's for half my life & counting. I was taken aback by his kindness, that's for sure. :wub:

Awesome!! It should be coming out sometime this month.

He & his band are heading off to Canada soon, so if any of you fine folks up north have the time, I strongly encourage you to go see them. They'll be in Toronto on June 27th.........so.....y'know......if TJ can get away from The Expanse set that day & wants to see an awesome band LIVE......there ya go. ;)

I recently got back from a work trip to Naples, Italy and London, England. I was very busy during the day with work, so I was very limited in what I could do for personal time. So I decided to do something way outside my norm and went to the oldest active opera house in the world in Naples and saw a Mozart Concerto, then when I was in London I went to the Royal Opera House and saw my first opera. The opera was contemporary and was a story about Oedipus. They were both very different and incredible at the same time. The opera houses them selves are absolutely gorgeous works of architecture.

Mike

I recently got back from a work trip to Naples, Italy and London, England. I was very busy during the day with work, so I was very limited in what I could do for personal time. So I decided to do something way outside my norm and went to the oldest active opera house in the world in Naples and saw a Mozart Concerto, then when I was in London I went to the Royal Opera House and saw my first opera. The opera was contemporary and was a story about Oedipus. They were both very different and incredible at the same time. The opera houses them selves are absolutely gorgeous works of architecture.

Mike

Wow, Mike! What a wonderful experience! :D I've always wanted to go to London. I'm glad you got the chance to enjoy it.

Back on August 18th, my family & I had the pleasure of enjoying Kiefer Sutherland & his band in concert, again. It was a FREE show, & we got to experience all of the magic from the front row!! ? It was BEYOND AMAZING! Even better than before. Plus, Kiefer performed some new songs from an album he's currently working on. We even got to watch his soundcheck. ? We bought more KSB goodies (hoodie, handkerchief, shot glass, hat, t-shirt). It was my first time going to my state fair, & it was also extra special for Kiefer & co. because it was their first state fair concert. How cool! It was such a memorable day. ???

https://www.indystar.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/2017/08/19/kiefer-sutherland-at-2017-indiana-state-fair/104747570/

See if ya can spot us in these pics! ?