Guest AdminGuyX

Music: what are you currently infatuated with?

If you're into Nick Cave, Mark Lanegan, Greg Dulli, and the like, check out the striking singer Rykarda Parasol. She has one of those instantly recognizable voices, in the range of Mark L. and Inger Lorre for tone and delivery. Tinges of Polly Jean Harvey and Siouxsie Sioux as well...

Stark arrangements with bleak lyrics. Great good dark stuff.

Check it out here: http://www.myspace.com/rykardaparasol

Songs to focus on: "A Drinking Song", "One for Joy!", "Covenant", and "Hannah Leah".

Jen

Listening to some Sevendust lately. Yuupp.

While I was so fortunate to be stationed in Vegas (2000-2004) I stumbled across a concert "battle of the bands" at Sam Boyd Stadium. I was then introduced to a band called Taproot and some how I was lucky enough to party with this guys after the concert until the next day. Let me just say that WAS A FUN WEEKEND!!! I've been a fan ever since! When I was making my move from NJ back to Indy I was cleaning out my closets and came across some music I had and found some Taproot, and I fell in love all over again...

http://popup.lala.com/popup/360569479528743560

These are my favorites and I can't seem to get enough right now!!

i'm currently listening to

Lady Gaga. :P

as well as Richy Nix, Five Finger Death Punch, Sick Puppys, Finger Eleven, Stone Sour,

as usuall the list goes on and on.

When I went to the gym I was listening to my fair share of rock, film scores, epic classical, and such.... however.... i finally am getting around to cardio. i usually don't do it. it bored me. BUT there is one song that gets me through it and puts pictures in my head to motivate me. E.S. Posthumus - Arise.

Guest AdminGuyX

Been listening to "The Heavy" a whole lot. If you've seen the commercial with the kids toys driving the SUV and riding a mechanical bull then you've heard the chorus for "How do you like me now" but my personal favorite is "Short Change Hero". I can't get the damn song out of my head. Takes about a minute to get going.

They had to grow on me a bit though. The other songs on the CD are a wide mix of sounds from jazzy stuff to R&B and some rock songs.

Also been into Rev Theory. I'm not going to post any video because the singer is a moron, and their videos all suck. But, the music all by itself is pretty damn good. If you dig Godsmack (the new stuff for the Expendables sounds pretty good), you'll probably like them. Sample them on I-tunes, avoid the fucking videos. At all costs. (I know, you're all gonna look them up now anyway now. Hahaha.)

Been listening to "The Heavy" a whole lot. If you've seen the commercial with the kids toys driving the SUV and riding a mechanical bull then you've heard the chorus for "How do you like me now" but my personal favorite is "Short Change Hero". I can't get the damn song out of my head. Takes about a minute to get going.

They had to grow on me a bit though. The other songs on the CD are a wide mix of sounds from jazzy stuff to R&B and some rock songs.

I didn't even know who they were until I heard "How You Like Me Now?," which constantly plays in my head, in that commercial. Then, I looked up The Heavy.

"Short Change Hero" is catchy, as well. I could see it making a great theme song for a TV show's preview. Is it just me or does the rhythm sound like "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye"?

I bought the new single by STP and I must say upon the first few spins I'm largely unimpressed.

The Riff is kind of predictable for them and when is Weiland going to get over himself. We all know you were on drugs, you struggle with your addiction, you get bitchy about it when the press bring it up in interviews and there it is in the chorus of your first single in 6 (ish ?) years?

I really enjoy Scott's voice. I thought Happy in Galoshes was better than this tune though. Hopefully the rest of the disc has something better on it.

STP's reunion has been frought with trouble within the group, I think Scott should go solo but I guess STP makes good business sense since his solo disc's, which I really enjoy, don't sell as well.

I think STP is a dynamite band, talented as hell, especially the drummer, but this tune left me nowhere.

What I've been really enjoying has been the Twilight Singers. Gearing for a new disc and I can't wait.

I've been listening to the new STP album all day. Got up a 4 this morning to make sure I had it for the ride into work. Excelent album. What I love about STP is that they keep evolving, but keep their key sound.

Esco, Between the Lines is the predictable front runner for the first single. Personally, I really liked it, though I would have went with Huckelberry Crumble for the first single.

Still listening to Richy Nix, but squeez'n in some , We are the Fallen, as well.

Guest AdminGuyX

Florence and the The Machine.

I heard them on "so you think you can dance" of all shows. My wife watches it, and I was walking through the living room and heard a very emo, but cool, version of "addicted to love" playing. Thankfully they list the songs so I looked up the band on Itunes and found that I like "drumming song" and "blinding" and even "howl" a whole lot.

Hate their videos though. So, I ain't posting them.

Florence and the The Machine.

I like "drumming song" and "blinding" and even "howl" a whole lot.

Good one, Noeland. I saw the band play on Jools Holland and was captivated by Florence Welsh's 'heaving in a storm at sea' vocals; powerful and emotive.

Here's the link for "Drumming Song" live on Jools:

For some reason people generally either really like Florence and her music or dislike her. I'm not quite sure what the dislike is all about, unless they think she's gotten noticed too quickly without paying her dues, or they think she's a diva or something?? Not exactly sure what's up with that, but it tends to be a U.K. thing since she's from the U.K.

The U.S. press is loving her ever since her showcase at SXSW and probably even before then...

I'm actually just starting to write a review up for the album Lungs, but I'm having difficulty trying to describe the music style and singing...

Jen

Guest AdminGuyX

I liked that performance! Thanks for the link. She sounds pretty good live. I might have to see if they are doing any shows near me.

Lungs is a good CD overall, but it does have a range of sounds and I can imagine it's hard to define. Post a link once your review is done, I'd love to read it.

I wasn't going to get the whole thing at first, but I need some driving music for my trip to Indiana in a few weeks so I decided I would go ahead and get it. I always make like 10 new CD's for road trips, especially when I'm traveling alone. I tend to turn up the radio very loud and just get lost in the music (you know, not like without watching the road or anything) and it helps make the trip go by a little faster for me.

I have a bunch of old friends who go to SXSW every year. One of these years I'm going to go with them! ;)

I'm really loving The Moody Blues right now.

My favorite song--"The Other Side Of Life"

Went to a Moody Blues concert last night.

After all these years, they still perform really well together and love their fans.

I really enjoyed myself. Especially, when they played my favorite song. :D

The Moody Blues have a lot of hit songs. I don't know if you can say that about the bands of today. I do love current music, but I don't think it holds up as well compared to the classic songs.

Like Metal? Like Tuvan throat singers? How about Tuvan Throat Metal woven throughout traditional western score? Have I got the soundtrack to you...

I'm LOVING the motion picture score to "Mongol". Score by Thomas Kantellenan with assist by Mongolian folk metal group Altan Urag. It's nothing if not very unique. If you want to sample most of the tracks are up on youtube.

Great movie too by the way.

Like Metal? Like Tuvan throat singers? How about Tuvan Throat Metal woven throughout traditional western score? Have I got the soundtrack to you...

I'm LOVING the motion picture score to "Mongol". Score by Thomas Kantellenan with assist by Mongolian folk metal group Altan Urag. It's nothing if not very unique. If you want to sample most of the tracks are up on youtube.

Great movie too by the way.

AWESOME!

Back in '94 I saw

in an incredibly intimate performance (I think 20 people were there). It blew my mind. Altan Urag updates that style beautifully.

Thanks Dubu, I've got my soundtrack for the day!

I'm really loving The Moody Blues right now.

My favorite song--"The Other Side Of Life"

I have always loved the Moody Blues. Toss up for me on a favorite.

The story in your eyes...

And Question

I have always loved the Moody Blues. Toss up for me on a favorite.

The story in your eyes...

And Question

The Moody Blues played both of your favorites at the concert.

I really love "Question." That's another one of my favorites.