Guest AdminGuyX

Music: what are you currently infatuated with?

I've had a long-running love of the seminal, influential U.K. band Prolapse from the 1990s. The band was compared to the likes of Sonic Youth, The Fall, and Stereolab (while sounding like none of them) -

Jen

Too funny, was listening to Sonic Youth last night and Stereolab this morning. I'll be checking your links pronto!

Thanks to Mike V who turned me onto o'death today.

In my searching about them I got turned onto another Kemado label band The Sword. Seems that there is a serious re-birth to a particular metal sound & it's iconography (Sabbath, Zepplin, Motorhead, etc.) They've even got Frazetta Art! Scroll down for Wolfmother.

For those of us who were around the first time, this is pretty zany - it was Stoner Metal then too! From the bits I've heard I'm heartened - like "yeah - that was good s**t". But I can't tell if these are true homages or just vatgrown flesh that tastes like the real thing? My brain's been a bit twisted between Spinal Tap, GWAR and other experiences, to quote Hendrix. Clearly, I'm on a querulous quest for quality.

Listen for yourself:

Wolfmother-Dimension

The Sword-Freya

My friends, The Dumps, are full of metal!:

http://www.myspace.com/thedumps

Too funny, was listening to Sonic Youth last night and Stereolab this morning. I'll be checking your links pronto!

That is really coincidental! I have to add that Prolapse is an acquired listening "taste", and it may not appeal to you, and I see a bit of the Stereolab reference to the vocals of Linda that are cool and unruffled, as well as in some of the repetitive droning song structures, but I'm not sure about the Sonic Youth relation, except in use of guitars maybe. Well, I hope you could at least have a listen... :)

Jen

That is really coincidental! I have to add that Prolapse is an acquired listening "taste", and it may not appeal to you, and I see a bit of the Stereolab reference to the vocals of Linda that are cool and unruffled, as well as in some of the repetitive droning song structures, but I'm not sure about the Sonic Youth relation, except in use of guitars maybe. Well, I hope you could at least have a listen... :)

Jen

I listened to all their top picks on Rhapsody. I totally got your two connections and they made sense when I listened. Some of their work is truly sonrous - collages of noise that sound interesting together. Others were lyrical and quite beautiful. I love bands that can do that. Yo La Tengo is a much mellower version of these guys - from feedback noise to quiet, sweet, and intimate pieces.

Did you try Mike V's o'death - they're nicely noisy too.

STILL listening to RED and have added some CHEVELLE and an old favorite EDGUY's VAINGLORY OPERA :P

Guided By Voices - Game Of Pricks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTdPn60lcB0 (lyrics in description)

this song brings back memories, good and bad.

Ooh, cutting lyrics there (It seems like everyone's involved in that type of "game" at some point or another...)! :unsure: I like Robert Pollard's casual way with catchy melodies...

Jen

Thanks to Mike V who turned me onto o'death today.

In my searching about them I got turned onto another Kemado label band The Sword. Seems that there is a serious re-birth to a particular metal sound & it's iconography (Sabbath, Zepplin, Motorhead, etc.) They've even got Frazetta Art! Scroll down for Wolfmother.

For those of us who were around the first time, this is pretty zany - it was Stoner Metal then too! From the bits I've heard I'm heartened - like "yeah - that was good s**t". But I can't tell if these are true homages or just vatgrown flesh that tastes like the real thing? My brain's been a bit twisted between Spinal Tap, GWAR and other experiences, to quote Hendrix. Clearly, I'm on a querulous quest for quality.

Listen for yourself:

Wolfmother-Dimension

The Sword-Freya

If you like The Sword you will probably love this band Swedish band Witchcraft.

Just picked up BLACKSTONE CHERRY'S new one FOLKLORE and SUPERSTION...

EXCELLENT, if you are a fan of hard driving southern rock, you'll love this one. Every bit as good as SHINEDOWNS last release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmr8D3JBsvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73j8pHaAhwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpq5Pvl6Wok...feature=related

This will be playing in the car all the way to my nieces house today...hehheeheheheh, it'll drive the wife nuts, she likes Celine Dion...

Okay, I know Bjork has become one of those "love 'em/loathe 'em" figures in pop culture for some reason (due to way too much, and snarky, media exposure, I guess?), so I want to go back to her roots here, musically, when she was inthe band The Sugarcubes.

I was blown away by the band when I saw them on MTV in the late 1980s (so long ago...!), and they had a little news article that showed Bjork in a neon green outfit, with sparkly clip in her hair, belting out her vocals, even though she was sick with fever - and then I saw the Live in Auburn, Alabama concert, some time late at night on MTV, and was hooked.

There's not that much at YouTube for the band, but here goes -

This is the "intro" video "Cold Sweat" - it's got a menacing, darker vibe than later songs by the band; I love the end of the song where Bjork really belts it out:

and

The band's "hit", "Birthday", a slower number, but with Bjork really emoting on the chorus:

and

"Motorcrash", which is more upbeat, with story-telling lyrics:

and

"Traitor" (no video, just song), with Einar on talking vocals and backing singing by Bjork:

and

and a bit of silliness/cuteness of Bjork talking about the possible dangers of watching TV and then her finding out the "scientifical" truth...:

As for her solo work, I feel it's a bit hit 'n' miss, with only some songs living up to Bjork's intensity and exuberance, like:

The orchestral and vocal sweep of "Bachelorette":

and

"Joga":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYP9lA-g1_I

and

"Pagan Poetry" (viewer caution: Bjork is topless in this one; not for the kiddies):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kErskB8s16M

Jen

The Sugarcubes deserve tons of respect and Bjork's solo career continues to impress me. Birthday is a beautiful song.

Bjork was in a really fantastic movie with Catherine Deneuve called Dancer in the Dark. My roommate was watching it, and I was just passing through the room to get a glass of water. I stopped to look for a moment, and before I knew it I had been standing there for 45 minutes and had tears running down my face. This movie is really good and very very emotional.

The Sugarcubes deserve tons of respect and Bjork's solo career continues to impress me. Birthday is a beautiful song.

Hey Amy -

I definitely love Bjork's vocals and delivery, I just feel that sometimes the music doesn't match her voice...and what I like about The Sugarcubes is that it's a mix of musicians and the focus is not just on Bjork. "Birthday" sends tingly shivers down the spine, and speaking of which, I found some good live The Sugarcubes vids at YouTube.

Here are the songs Birthday and Deus, from 1988, interspersed with interview footage. This is why I am entranced by the band (and Bjork's vocals which sound just as beautiful and powerful live):

and, wow, Motorcrash live, from 1987!:

and whole song Deus live at Bizarre Fest:

and whole song Birthday in London in 1988:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH54A61VC0s

and another live perf of Deus; not sure when or where!:

Jen

Bjork was in a really fantastic movie with Catherine Deneuve called Dancer in the Dark. My roommate was watching it, and I was just passing through the room to get a glass of water. I stopped to look for a moment, and before I knew it I had been standing there for 45 minutes and had tears running down my face. This movie is really good and very very emotional.

Hi again Amy. :)

I just wanted to do a separate reply here about Dancer In the Dark. I saw the film a few years ago, and at first I was like, "oh, come on", by the innocence and naivete of Bjork's character, but then I kinda realized that anyone can be a victim of circumstances and do stupid/crazy things in the moment that seem right, or the best thing to do, and then only afterwards you realize the repercussions... Of course director Lars Von Trier takes it to extremes here, but because Bjork is so in her character or is her character, you go along to the emotional, tear-running ending, and boy, is it ever, at least for me too! :(

From what I've read after that film came out, Bjork was emotionally spent/bowled over by her performance and didn't feel like she could do another film again... I'm not sure how she feels about it all now.

Oh, and I saw her in The Juniper Tree (trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCXQFVHNe8) a long while ago and she and the story was very affecting. I don't know the year of this film, but it was when Bjork was younger. If you want to read people's reviews of film, you can go to Amazon Canada site here: http://www.amazon.ca/Juniper-Tree-Nietzcha...e/dp/6303990746, just FYI. :)

Jen

Oh, and quick one, here's an excerpt of Dancer In the Dark, where Bjork and Peter Stormare (love him!) sing "I've Seen It All", a spot of fanciful brightness in and the character's escape from a grim, realistic story...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62pLY5zFTtc

There are other clips and songs from the film on YouTube, but most of them give away too much of the story, so I don't want to post them...

Jen

I heard this song on the radio this morning while I was cleaning up dog puke...long story...

So anyway the guy on the radio, 89X, here in the Detroit area recommended the video, I shoulda known it was from SNL ... it's funny!

Yea, the song is funny as hell. The video just add's to that :P

I heard this song on the radio this morning while I was cleaning up dog puke...long story...

So anyway the guy on the radio, 89X, here in the Detroit area recommended the video, I shoulda known it was from SNL ... it's funny!

Too funny! My only problem is it's now a embeded song worm and I can't sing it out loud at work! Thanks for making me forget that it's monday!

Rise Up by Third Day was on the Pandora station I put on this morning. I hadn't heard it in a while, but it was a big encouragement to me today. For some folks the holiday season isn't all goodness and light and happy memories. So if you're feeling a bit weighed down by baggage from the past or present, maybe it will be an encouragement to you as well.

Guest AdminGuyX

Sorry you're having a sad holiday KS.

I get terribly homesick this time of year, but I really do try and stay positive and enjoy the holidays as much as possible.

Right now, I'm rediscovering The Beatles' "White Album" on CD. I've owned albums and cassettes of this LP since 1976, and I still hear different sounds in "Revolution 9."

As for modern stuff, I like The White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army."

hey...a guy who sounds like Stevie Nicks...um...does that still make him a guy? be warned this is a crappy video...

I'm slowly converting some of my old cassette albums to CD (as in buying new ones) and lately I've been listening to IRIS DEMENT a lot. Her voice isn't for most people, but I really love her lyrics. She sings the kind of music that really strikes a chord with me, because it brings back fond memories of my childhood. Her songs are also a lot about life, and they're easy to relate to.