Guest AdminGuyX

Music: what are you currently infatuated with?

Guest AdminGuyX

I've been playing "The Pretender" by the Foo Fighters over and over, and I liked the video so much I bought it on I-Tunes. I have a feeling I'll be listening to this a lot.

I just heard yesterday that Alice In Chains has new CD coming out with a new singer.

I was in Target today and saw the new Down III CD, had no idea it was out. I was there to buy the new Foo, they were sold out!

I also saw the new Korn CD and thought "Did that come out already?"

It occured to me I am behind in what new shit has hit the stands, so I figured I'd see if any of the other cretins and hooligans who hang out here might have some suggestions of new music worth listening to.

wink.gif

You know already that I love these guys... Within Temptation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH3WK6shdEQ

And Alter bridge has a new cd coming out on Oct. 9th

Here is a cut from the 1st cd.

And my personal , can't ever get enough of band, The Irish punk band from Boston, Dropkick Murphys, they got a new one coming out on Oct. 18th.

Here is a classic Murphy tune..

ok 2 from them!

Man, I'm such a big fan of music that I've got different artists and songs constantly goin' through my head.

I'm listening to alot of Bob Dylan right now along with some old Rolling Stones.

I've been listening to the Gang Of Four album, Return The Gift. It's really good. The song, "Natural's Not In It" has a killer Bass and Guitar opening.

This song called, "Baby, It's You" by a band by the name of Smith.

Alot of Rob Zombie along with White Zombie. That song, "More Human Than Human" and "Feed The Gods" get me pretty hyped up to do what I gotta do.

Different songs by Nirvana and The Misfits.

Man, I've got alot goin' on.

-JO

Well, I was into the so called "Nu-Metal" during it's hay-day... But, I still like some those bands.

Been into these guys for a couple of years now...

Stonegard- From Dusk Till Doom.

Since I first heard this song lasy year I've loved it. Great original, great cover.

Nonpoint- In The Air Tonight.

Black Light Burns is pretty good and I liked KoRn's new album.

Also Breaking Benjamin has been played in house, car and MP3 player. :D

A guilty pleasure the last month or so has been Paramore.

Listening to a classic right now... Limp Bizkit- Counterfeit. :P

Shit. Almost forgot Seether and Snow Patrol!

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESHHHHH!

These guys are good!

Just checked out SPACE LORD, and SEE YOU in HELL on you tube. very, very good. kinda Frank Zappa-ish, only making some sense. if that makes any sense?...no yellow snow or pigmy ponies

Ok, I'm off to pick up a Monster Magnet CD. I needed to pick up the new one from those 90 year old metal heads SAXON anyway, so Ill grab em at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl0Q3tyXEmA

Space Lord is just a damn, damn, damn fine tune, check it out you'l love it.

Oh, by the way, they got a new CD due out in November

Guest AdminGuyX

Yep, I dig Monster Magnet too, but I've never heard of that record before. Looks like I have a new CD to add to the library.

I like that Is Is EP by Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I haven't really heard that much by them before, just the Gold Lion song, so I was impressed by this EP, at least for it's guitar 'n' drum energy and yowling by Karen O.

I'm also currently on a Scottish-band (or Scottish singer-in-band)-loving jag (well, it's probably permanent!), so I'm listening to Sons And Daughters, The Twilight Sad, Prolapse, and Jesus And Mary Chain.

Jen

I've been listening to Monster Magnet's first album over and over again all week.

Spine Of God baby.

Goodness, well this takes me back! :lol: I remember seeing the Monster Magnet video "Negasonic Teenage Warhead" in the mid-90s, I think...good times...

Jen

I'm listening to Kill Hannah right now. It's in a testing phase for me. I'll listen to it for a few days then let it sit for a week and check it out again. See if it grows on me. It's not too bad.

Daily though, it's The Clash: London Calling and David Bowie: Hunky Dory. Every day, just like clock work.

I'm listening to Kill Hannah right now. It's in a testing phase for me. I'll listen to it for a few days then let it sit for a week and check it out again. See if it grows on me.

That's funny - I've been in a testing phase with Kill Hannah for a while now, but on 'n' off, so I'm still not sure if I'm "totally" into them. I know I LOVE the song Lips Like Morphine. It has almost everything I like in a song...but then I heard some of their MySpace tunes and wasn't that bowled over. Then I heard Unwanted, and was like, it's catchy, it's not bad... I'm still not ready to plunk down a whole lot of money for an album of theirs though.

Jen

Those are all good. I checked out Dropkick Murphys on Youtube and they're really good. I'll be doing some more research into their work. I'm probably dating myself, but I prefer something a little more mellow.

Right now, I'm into The Feeling, Corinne Bailey Rae, Tegan & Sara, KT Tunstall, Natasha Bedingfield, Lifehouse, John Mayer, The Fray, Nickelback and Marc Broussard. I really like a wide variety of stuff. I also have Deep Purple, The Cars, The New Radicals, Papa Roach, Chris Isaak, Tom Waits, Southern Culture on the Skids, David Garza, Keb 'Mo, The Rolling Stones, Peter Gabriel. Lots of 80's stuff (Toto, Genesis, Springsteen, The Pretenders) and a mix of 60's and 70's too. Also lots of Southern Rock, of course. (The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Charlie Daniels Band.) Lots of jazz too from Nat King Cole, Nina Simone, and Ella Fitzgerald to Diana Krall.

That's my playlist right now.

mediumfan

Those are all good. I checked out Dropkick Murphys on Youtube and they're really good. I'll be doing some more research into their work. I'm probably dating myself, but I prefer something a little more mellow.

Right now, I'm into The Feeling, Corinne Bailey Rae, Tegan & Sara, KT Tunstall, Natasha Bedingfield, Lifehouse, John Mayer, The Fray, Nickelback and Marc Broussard. I really like a wide variety of stuff. I also have Deep Purple, The Cars, The New Radicals, Papa Roach, Chris Isaak, Tom Waits, Southern Culture on the Skids, David Garza, Keb 'Mo, The Rolling Stones, Peter Gabriel. Lots of 80's stuff (Toto, Genesis, Springsteen, The Pretenders) and a mix of 60's and 70's too. Also lots of Southern Rock, of course. (The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Charlie Daniels Band.) Lots of jazz too from Nat King Cole, Nina Simone, and Ella Fitzgerald to Diana Krall.

That's my playlist right now.

mediumfan

Wow, some great stuff, I've got 2 lifehouse cds and i enjoy them.

TOM WAITS! besides being a cheesy actor he is a great song writer and performer 1st and foremost. He is just awesome.

Southern rock, Skynard, Allmans, OZARK MOUNTAIN DAREDEVILS! You probably like Marshall Tucker too don't cha! I love Marshall Tucker! And BLACKFOOT, WET WILLIE, KENTUCKY HEADHUNTERS....could go on for awhile there, southern rock is just beyond damn good!

How about some of the new southern rock bands coming out? Shinedown, Blackstone Cherry just to name two of my favorites, I really think that southern rock is making a strong come back, I'm hoping it will end the radio GRUNDGE-fest and replace it, pretty much how grundge replaced the Hair metal bands.

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, picked up the Foo, and have to say it's not that rockin', has too many slow songs for me, and kind of boring slow songs too. Maybe it'll grow on me. I'll be picking up DownIII this weekend, though my love for Dimebag really gives me some guilt over supporting anything Anselmo does now. But at the same time, Pepper Keenan.

Also going to check out Operator (chris cornell anybody? sounds just like old soundgarden!) and a band I'm new to called Massive Attack.

Wow, some great stuff, I've got 2 lifehouse cds and i enjoy them.

TOM WAITS! besides being a cheesy actor he is a great song writer and performer 1st and foremost. He is just awesome.

Southern rock, Skynard, Allmans, OZARK MOUNTAIN DAREDEVILS! You probably like Marshall Tucker too don't cha! I love Marshall Tucker! And BLACKFOOT, WET WILLIE, KENTUCKY HEADHUNTERS....could go on for awhile there, southern rock is just beyond damn good!

How about some of the new southern rock bands coming out? Shinedown, Blackstone Cherry just to name two of my favorites, I really think that southern rock is making a strong come back, I'm hoping it will end the radio GRUNDGE-fest and replace it, pretty much how grundge replaced the Hair metal bands.

All of these are great, irish. I forgot about Marshall Tucker and Kentucky Headhunters. Both are fantastic. I agree totally about Southern rock. I would love to see more of that kind of music. I think grunge is on its way out (at least I hope it is, lol).

And what can you say about Tom Waits? He's freakin' awesome! I love "Black Market Baby". That is classic!

mediumfan

Also going to check out Operator (chris cornell anybody? sounds just like old soundgarden!) and a band I'm new to called Massive Attack.

Man, I loved Soundgarden and all the old grunge bands from Seattle. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, they all kicked ass. Have you heard the song Hungerstrike by Temple Of The Dog? It's Soundgarden and Pearl Jam combined and the song kicks ass.

And as for Massive Attack, I like them, especially their songs called, Angel and Dissolved Girl. Good stuff.

-JO

Guest FADoss

At this moment in time...Disturbed drives my world, though I am a big fan of Seether,Breaking Benjamin,Chevelle, [Three Days Grace [/b]and others.

I've also been known to enjoy Hank Williams Sr, Counting Crows and Madeleine Peyroux.

I'm fairly musically eclectic...

But for now, I'm dropping plates on your ass.

Frederic Doss

That's funny - I've been in a testing phase with Kill Hannah for a while now, but on 'n' off, so I'm still not sure if I'm "totally" into them. I know I LOVE the song Lips Like Morphine. It has almost everything I like in a song...but then I heard some of their MySpace tunes and wasn't that bowled over. Then I heard Unwanted, and was like, it's catchy, it's not bad... I'm still not ready to plunk down a whole lot of money for an album of theirs though.

Jen

I've decided that they are okay. Didn't knock my socks off. Too bad, they were good live.

I do agree with Irish. Love me some Tom Waits. That guy could read out of an encyclopedia and make it sound great. Oh, wait, he did do that. :D

Right now, I've been getting the old Pixies albums out. My girl love them, great to dance to. Spent many of restless nights dancing to the Pixies with my two year old.

-The Rolling Stones

-Rites Of Spring

-White Zombie

-Rob Zombie

-Alice Cooper

-The Misfits

-Nine Inch Nails

-Kiss

-Black Sabbath

-Iggy & The Stooges

-The Clash

-Gang Of Four

-Jesus And Mary Chain

-Led Zeppelin

-Johnny Cash

-Bob Dylan

-Jimi Hendrix

-The Doors

-U2

-The Velvet Underground

-Radiohead

-Soundgarden

-Nirvana

-Alice In Chains

-Pink Floyd

-Lynyrd Skynyrd

-Creedence Clearwater Revival

-The Allman Brothers

-The Doobie Brothers

-The Black Keys

-Rage Against The Machine

-Neil Young

-Cream

-Massive Attack

-New Order

-David Bowie

-Guns 'N' Roses

-Dead Kennedys

-Black Flag

-T-Rex

-Murder City Devils

-Eric Clapton

-13th Floor Elevators

-Tom Waits

-Otis Redding

-Depeche Mode

-The Cure

-Willie Nelson

-Waylon Jennings

-Hank Williams

-Burl Ives

This List Will Go On For Days

-JO

And as for Massive Attack, I like them, especially their songs called, Angel and Dissolved Girl. Good stuff.

-JO

I like Massive Attack too, in general, but especially their Mezzanine album, because of Liz Fraser of Cocteau Twins vocals on 3 of the tracks. One is called Teardrop (possibly the song used in credits of House TV series, but without Liz's vocals) and the other Black Milk, and I forget the third...

Are Angel and Dissolved Girl off that album? I forget now...

I've also heard their albums Protection and latest (I think) 10000 Windows (maybe more, maybe less windows - :lol: ) - Protection is sooo mellow and laid-back all around. Love Tracey Thorn's guest vocals on the song Protection. Sinead O'Connor guests on that ...Windows album. Good stuff, but not "classic", like their older material.

I'm assuming you know that Tricky is one of the main vocalists of band, at least for most of the albums?

Ok, sorry, going on way too long about the band. They're not even one of my most fave bands...and their name totally doesn't coincide with their sound!! :lol:

Jen

-Nine Inch Nails

-Jesus And Mary Chain

-Radiohead

-Nirvana

-Massive Attack

-New Order

-David Bowie

-Guns 'N' Roses

-Depeche Mode

-The Cure

This List Will Go On For Days

-JO

Oh, awesome JO - I love lists, and I loved reading yours here of fave music artists! :D I just narrowed down your list in my reply to the artists that I really dig too.

I'm a HUGE music fan, and I hope no one minds this, but I want to mention that not only am I running a Yahoo Group, or 2, or 4, on Tom - but I also have a music Yahoo Group that is near 'n' dear to my heart (or close to it) - and it covers a lot of the artists mentioned above, as well as tons o' others.

Here's the link and I'm also including the description, so you can read about it here and decide if you want to peruse and/or join:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stratosphere_Fanzine/

Focus is on: alternative, indie, rock, pop, shoegazer, guitar, dreampop, new wave, goth, electronica, punk, metal, alt country, twee, riot grrl

My Music Fanzine with exclusive Band and Singer Interviews, Photos, Reviews, News, Sound

AUDIO: The Church, PJ Harvey, Bikini Kill, Air, Garbage, Muse, Sonic Youth, much more

INTERVIEWS: Scott of Sons And Daughters, Secret Shine, Inger Lorre of The Nymphs, Prolapse, Michael of Therapy?, Marijne of Cowboy Racer (Salad, Boredoms, Swallow), Amy Duncan, Lovespirals, Collide, Jucifer, Mira, Emma (Lush) and Lisa of Sing-Sing, Simon Raymonde (Cocteau Twins, Bella Union label), Cousteau, Devics, Malory, Monster Movie (Slowdive), Tom of Thursday, Camera Obscura, Trembling Blue Stars (The Field Mice), Kim of The Muffs, Duke Spirit, Aberdeen, Client, Dean (Galaxie 500) & Britta Phillips (Luna), Kristy Thirsk, KMFDM, Rickey of Scarling, Dean Garcia (Curve), The Faint,

Miki of Lush, Cranes, Kathleen Hanna (Bikini Kill, Le Tigre), The Church, Catherine Wheel, Hydroplane, Heavenly, Alison's Halo, Sloan, Bis, Skinned Teen, loveliescrushing, cub, Geir of Biosphere (Bel Canto), Fretblanket, Seana of Swirlies, The Belltower, Some Velvet Sidewalk, Cursive

PHOTOS: Miki and Lush, Steve Kilbey and The Church, Bjork of The Sugarcubes, Depeche Mode, Sonic Youth, Morrissey of The Smiths, Tori Amos, Kurt Cobain of Nirvana, Morten Harket of a-ha, My Bloody Valentine, Ian McCulloch, Muse, Brett Anderson and Suede, Alison Shaw and Cranes, Portishead, Jesus and Mary Chain, Siouxsie Sioux, Robert Smith of The Cure, PJ Harvey, Babes in Toyland, Therapy?, Shirley Manson of Garbage, Trent Reznor ie Nine Inch Nails, Kate Bush, Duran Duran, Bono of U2, Damon Albarn of Blur, Jarvis Cocker of Pulp, Saint Etienne, Toni of Curve, Katie-Jane Garside and Queen Adreena, Geoff Rickly and Thursday, Prolapse, The Gossip, The White Stripes, Interpol, Placebo, Charlotte Gainsbourg

Album and Candy Reviews, Fan Concert experiences, much more...

Jen

By the way JO (and anyone else into music), you said your list could go on for days...keep it going! :D I'd love to "see" more of what you like to listen to.

Which reminds me, here's my, once again, short and incomplete list of most fave music artists:

Lush

The Smiths

Cranes

The Church

Curve

Suede

Cocteau Twins

QueenAdreena

Muse

The Cure

Depeche Mode

Sonic Youth

Jesus And Mary Chain

Secret Shine

Therapy?

Sons And Daughters

The Sugarcubes

Radiohead

PJ Harvey

Jeff Buckley

Prolapse

Jucifer

Nirvana

Siouxsie And The Banshees

Kate Bush

My Bloody Valentine

Portishead

Slowdive

Babes In Toyland

Placebo

The Gossip

Thursday

Bikini Kill

Hydroplane

Saint Etienne

and so many more...

Those bands and singers above I can basically listen to anything by them, and I'll be happy. There are tons of other artists I love, where I only love their early work, or vice versa. Maybe that I list for another time. :lol:

Jen

By the way JO (and anyone else into music), you said your list could go on for days...keep it going! :D I'd love to "see" more of what you like to listen to.

Sonic Youth

AC/DC

Lou Reed

John Lennon

Warpaint

Dead Man's Bones

Heartless Bastards

Elliott Smith

Clint Mansell

Paul Giovanni

Ennio Morricone

Angelo Badalamenti

Nino Rota

Sex Pistols

Circle Jerks

Minor Threat

Dead Milkmen

MDC

The Beatles

Kris Kristofferson

Guest AdminGuyX

Just heard a band called Paramore that I like. Turns out the band is all 17 or 18 year old kids. Have to respect that kind of talent at that age. And I used to print shirts for the Fueled By Ramen guys a LONG time ago, before any of thier artists were famous, so I support them still.

Flyleaf has also been blasting from the I-tunes, and the more I listen, the more I like it.

And Satan help me Black Sabbath: The Dio Years has been playing in the CD player, bringing me back to days of getting in small town trouble, and running with the "bad crowd" in high school. ;)

A few of those old songs hold up pretty well. My girlfriend will not listen to Dio even a single second. She just hates him. I'm certainly not playing it often, but every now and then, Heaven and Hell needs to play. Just does.

And for anyone who likes, I don't know what to call it, oddball Jazz, Need New Body is both cinematic, and trippy, and wierd, and even a little creepy some times. Yes, it's both of those things. My buddy Frede from Punk Rock Payroll turned me on to these guys, and I used them in the opening credits of my first film PAIN.