Sign in to follow this  
Tiara

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

legerparnassus.jpg

/Film reader David D sent over this new photo of Heath Ledger in his last movie, Terry Gilliam’s The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is a fantastical morality tale, set in the present day. It tells the story of Dr Parnassus and his extraordinary ‘Imaginarium’, a traveling show where members of the audience get an irresistible opportunity to choose between light and joy or darkness and gloom. Blessed with the extraordinary gift of guiding the imaginations of others, Dr Parnassus is cursed with a dark secret. Long ago he made a bet with the devil, Mr Nick, in which he won immortality. Many centuries later, on meeting his one true love, Dr Parnassus made another deal with the devil, trading his immortality for youth, on condition that when his first-born reached its 16th birthday he or she would become the property of Mr Nick.

Valentina is now rapidly approaching this ‘coming of age’ milestone and Dr Parnassus is desperate to protect her from her impending fate. Mr Nick arrives to collect but, always keen to make a bet, renegotiates the wager. Now the winner of Valentina will be determined by whoever seduces the first five souls. Enlisting a series of wild, comical and compelling characters in his journey, Dr Parnassus promises his daughter’s hand in marriage to the man that helps him win. In this captivating, explosive and wonderfully imaginative race against time, Dr Parnassus must fight to save his daughter in a never-ending landscape of surreal obstacles - and undo the mistakes of his past once and for all.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/10/21/heath-...ctor-parnassus/

I have been anticipating this movie for awhile. I know many people will want to see it in order to say goodbye to Heath Ledger, such a gifted actor. I want to see it cause it has Heath Ledger, and the fact that Terry Gilliam is such a genius. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus opens in New York and Los Angeles Christmas day. Then, it will open nationwide on January 8, 2010.

I can hardly wait!!! :)

I keep missing screenings of this! Terry Gilliam did a Q & A screening while I was in San Francisco. Film Independent screened it last week, but I chose to see the 50th Anniversary screening of ON THE BEACH instead. And American Cinemateque showed it last weekend while I was hosting a poker tournament.

Here's a great example of how great and how frustrating it is to live in L.A. Wednesday night, these were my options:

ON THE BEACH 50th anniversary screening with Q & A ($7.50 admission)

THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR. PARNASSUS (free with Film Independent membership)

CRAZY HEART Q & A screening with Scott Cooper, Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Thomas Cobb (free)

BIG FAN Q & A with Patton Oswalt at the New Beverly ($7.00 admission)

Luckily I had already seen CRAZY HEART at a Q & A screening. And I saw BIG FAN opening night at the Nuart followed by a Q & A with the writer/director, Patton Oswalt, and most of the cast. So all I had to do was give up seeing PARNASSUS again.

I keep missing screenings of this! Terry Gilliam did a Q & A screening while I was in San Francisco. Film Independent screened it last week, but I chose to see the 50th Anniversary screening of ON THE BEACH instead. And American Cinemateque showed it last weekend while I was hosting a poker tournament.

Here's a great example of how great and how frustrating it is to live in L.A. Wednesday night, these were my options:

ON THE BEACH 50th anniversary screening with Q & A ($7.50 admission)

THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR. PARNASSUS (free with Film Independent membership)

CRAZY HEART Q & A screening with Scott Cooper, Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Thomas Cobb (free)

BIG FAN Q & A with Patton Oswalt at the New Beverly ($7.00 admission)

Luckily I had already seen CRAZY HEART at a Q & A screening. And I saw BIG FAN opening night at the Nuart followed by a Q & A with the writer/director, Patton Oswalt, and most of the cast. So all I had to do was give up seeing PARNASSUS again.

Oh it must be so difficult to be you... LOL :P

I saw this a couple a weeks ago and while i liked the idea i found the film as a whole very uneven and it just didnt work as good as it should have done.

So the film has opened more widely now and I just noticed it's playing at my local.

Have plans to see another film Sunday night but I'm thinking I'll get out of the house during the day Monday and go check this out. No way I miss a Gilliam film.

One thing I was very happy to hear was that Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell have donated their fee for completing Heath Ledger's final film role to the late star's daughter Matilda, because the star left behind only an old will which did not include the little girl.

Gilliam was quoted as saying . . . "That's extraordinary! And wonderful... and when you're part of that, you think, 'Ah, this is maybe why I went into the movies in the beginning. I thought it would be full of wonderful people.' And we've got a movie full of wonderful people who did extraordinary things to help."

Pretty warming to hear, and pretty amazing.

We all know this will be a visual slice of heaven from Gilliam and that's mainly why I see his films.

He was doing pioneering and drop dead fantastic visual and make-up FX since before practically anyone.

This is supposed to be heavy CG and that's fine with me.

Like most CG and digital art these days if you really want to see it done right then look at the guys who did great art before the advent of the technology.

That's where you'll find the true masters. With a guy like Gilliam pulling the strings it's sure to look incredible and totally original to this auteur director extraordinaire.

But it's not just about the look. I've always been fascinated by Terry Gilliam's mind and story-telling.

This one looks like it won't disappoint.

- TB

I hope it's good, because Gilliam's last two films weren't anything to really write home about. That said I don't think there was a better bit of casting than Tom Waits as the Devil, that is a role Waits was born to play.

I want to see it so bad. I'm still waiting for it to play somewhere around my area.

I finally got to see it yesterday. It was amazing. There were moments when I would think of The Joker when Heath was on the screen, like his character's stance. It was weird watching it and knowing that parts of the movie had to be changed, so Depp, Law, and Farrell could play the character. I kind of expected Ledger to have a smaller part, but then I remembered that he was almost done with it before he died.

Tom Waits really made a great devil. ( I guess that's a compliment)

The movie really had a lot of awesome sequences. (It was a Terry Gilliam movie, so I wasn't surprised.)

If you love Heath Ledger, go see it.

If you love Christopher Plummer, go see it.

If you love Terry Gilliam, go see it.

If you love excellent entertainment, go see it.

I know I'll be buying this one on DVD. I hope it has great features. I would love to see shots of Ledger filming it. I don't even know if he had the chance to give his take on the film.