• 3 months later...
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there a story mapped out for Tom and Walter Hill's version of The Punisher 2? I vaguely remember hearing it was about Frank and a female FBI agent going after Jigsaw when he kidnaps the agent's daughter.

If there was a story then maybe it would be nice to see it become a comic itself, or maybe an animated movie. At least that way we'd get to see what could have been.

That was basically it. Here's Tom's post about it from the thread that shall not be named.

well this thread is damn entertaining. question is, what will we do with ourselves once the damn film comes and goes?

the problem is how things get out of hand and blown around and facts get distorted to support whatever argument some one is trying to make.

i didn't leave over walter hill. i left because i saw in castle a true tragic figure in fiction, and i loved the guy and i wanted HIS STORY to be told in a realistic manner that is fitting the tale. like taxi driver. like dog day afternoon. like fuckin SERPICO, with some death wish mixed in and yeah it's an action film and yeah it's a comic book but i think the way to keep comic book films alive is to treat them with the respect that the stories deserve. and look out! a guy named Nolan does just that a year later and look what happens.

i went to LGF with a BAG of dvd's. thirty or forty. big meeting with everyone from marvel and LG there. and i laid them on the table. all gritty urban crime dramas and action films. you all know the ones. and i said this is what we want to see with P2. i even outlined a simple story where we had a female FBI agent working on bringing down a mob family for three years, doing wiretaps and collecting evidence, and on the big night of the bust, FC walks in and kills every one of them in three minutes. job done. and this chick, she's like who the FUCK is this asshole? Three years down the drain in three minutes by some joker with a skull on his chest? no fucking way. and she goes to her boss and says I WANT FRANK CASTLE. he's an affront to the System. this is a girl who had to do everything by the book just to get where she is, loves her job and believes in it, but is kinda feeling that 'glass ceiling' that women sometimes hit in a man's world. she's had to have all the T's crossed and I's dotted to make it, and FC just pisses her off to no end. she goes after him, and she CATCHES him. Locks him up. job done. but at the same time, the MOB goes after her, and kidnaps her kid. (this was Jigsaw and his men.) they are gonna kill the kid. no time for 'by the book.' so she goes to castle in lock up. she looks at him and he looks at her. and she leaves the key on the floor and walks out. and castle destroys every last one of them.

that was the story in a nutshell. i wasn't hung up on that story in particular, just something with some emotion and balls and speaks to the fact that love him or hate him Frank Castle does what he does so we don't have to. he's a necessary evil, because he's the only guy in town who's willing to live with the heinous fucking shit that sometimes has got to be done. everyone nodded their heads and we talked for an hour about bringing back the Great Urban Crime Film. problem was, no one could write it. we went through so many drafts. i even worked with Ennis on an outline. but LG could not get away from the Comic Book Film. it was very light and the characters were just superficial. Sutter did professional work. great guy, trying to give the studio what they wanted. like him a lot. but when it became obvious that LG wasn't interested in developing that KIND of story, and frankly weren't interested in spending the cash on a good script. i said guys, i just can't do this to the character i love. can't live with it. can't make the 'would have been great if' movie of frank one more time. this is me speaking from the heart, and not trying to be PC here. so i walked away and i sent an open letter to Quint at ain't it cool outlining my feelings on the thing. i'm sure you can look it up. THEN LG got another director. THEN the 'reboot' stuff. makes sense to reboot after the actor walks, right?

Bradstreet is right - when i say 'piece of crap' that's just me talking. Hey, might be a masterpiece from someone else's POV. i guess if i wanted to be polite i could say 'not my cup 'o tea.' but then that wouldn't be me talking, would it.

Christ! That's exactly the flick I wanted to see! After the first one that would have been awesome. And it sounds like, for the most part it was written for them already just needed to be threaded together. Thanks for posting this. Would still love to see this flick.

• 6 months later...

New review of The Punisher here:

"...the acting in The Punisher is mostly solid. Thomas Jane (who many believe to be the best Frank Castle we've had yet) is seriously perfect in the title role, and I honestly wouldn't mind if they brought him back to reprise the role (whether it's in a TV show or Marvel Studios' pending reboot). "

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Pau...s/news/?a=46195

Jen

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This was the very first movie I had ever seen him in. And I thought it was really good and what he had to go through to make this movie I have to give him credit for it. This is when I became a fan of him.

That's the first time I've heard anyone refer to the hair on someone's chest as a mane.

I don't think I have enough Wild Turkey in the house to keep up, which is good, because I don't feel like dying. haha

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I got something on my facebook page today called Thomas Jane as the punisher in reboot. Now there saying that fox is going to have a punisher tv series. Now I don't know if they think he is going to be in it or what but I don't think he is or I maybe wrong. They also said Marvel Comics got the rights back to punisher. Maybe I'm not understanding this has anyone else heard anything about it?

Considering the direction they are going with the show (cop moonlighting as a vigilante at night), if he didn't do PWZ because of the direction, even though it's the closet to the comic book canon (which still doesn't make it a good movie), this is pretty doubtful.

The rights to Punisher are back at Marvel and they are trying to get a show on Fox. As for Tom, nothing there. At this point it's just fanboy speculation who will don the black shirt and skull.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember hearing about Kevin Nash getting stabbed, but I have never heard this story about Tom getting stitched up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgmAdpAUEF0

Holy crap that had to of hurt.

I remember hearing about Kevin Nash getting stabbed, but I have never heard this story about Tom getting stitched up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgmAdpAUEF0

I remember it. Every time I see the scene when Tom’s Frank is getting sewed up, I always think of the real pain behind it. Ouch!

• 1 month later...

Okay why is it that people on his facebook pages keep begging him to do another punisher movie? I don't think he wants to do another one but I may be wrong. But as for the movie I thought he was great in it. And his body looked totally awsome very well muscled. ;)

I'm pretty sure he would, well that is if it was under the right circumstances - director, script, etc...

Yeah your probably right. He would under the right circumstances.
  • 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.