sidewaysgaze

The Punisher

I wouldnt pick up the blu ray until it gets a better transfer. I bought it for like 12 bucks and its TERRIBLE picture quality and the audio is decent with no extras. Maybe when Warzone comes out on blu Lionsgate will try and release the extended cut of the 04 version on blu or something.

My hubby's a huge comic book fan, so he introduced me to all the comics and films I otherwise wouldn't even had know about.

From all the comic/superhero film my top three are:

1. The Punisher (it was my favourite from the first time I've seen it - I like the gritty stuff!)

2. Batman Begins

3. Iron Man

Although I DO have a soft spot for Daredevil.... ;)

I HATED Superman Returns and I don't like all the Fantastic Four films.

Superman Returns was such a mess, with a total miscast of characters, except Brandon Routh.

Fantastic Four is too much of a soup thing for my taste.

X-Men and Spider-Man are alright. The third Spider-Man is my favourite, simply because of Sandman and Venom.

Not to keen on the Hulk film either (can't beat the charm of the TV series!), although the second one is definitely much better.

Thanks for listening! :rolleyes:

I was going thru my photobucket account. found this one :P

Punisher2posteredit2.jpg

Hope Tim can forgive me for ruining his picture!

At the Dallas Comic Con conference in January, someone asks Tom about the Punisher movies, and if he's seen the latest one, and he basically replied "time is precious"...meaning he's got plenty of other stuff he's got to do and see than see the War Zone one... :lol:

Jen

Here's the link to a funn-ee review of The Punisher called ""The Punisher Movie Is Unrecognized Genius".

Here's a blurb about the set-up of the article; read the follow-through at the

link, but go into it without a Punisher-sized chip on your shoulder, or you'll

be more PO'd than laughing... ;)

"After watching the film though, I realize that everyone simply missed the

point. Folks were expecting to see a well-planned, insightful comic book movie,

an adult take on an excellent tell of payback. In reality, The Punisher is an

80s action film.

Look, feel, writing, directing, acting, every single frame fits perfectly with

the decade."

http://videogameblog.tuscaloosanews.com/de...sp?item=2390503

Jen

Meaning no disrespect...somewhere TL is smiling at this review. I believe this was one of the things he used to say about it.

I'm not ususally a comic book fan and the only films based on comic books I ever liked were the Batman movies {And Still, I don't like all of the Batman movies, Christian Bale's & Michael Keaton's Only}.

But when I saw "The Punisher", I realized immediately this was something special & totally different from the regular mainstream movies based on comic books.

The way Frank Castle is written is so unique and rarely represented in films {i.e. The antihero} and I was hooked.

Of course, Tom's performance did the whole job. He gave the character just the right touch of both humanity and harshness alike to be as mesmerizing as it appeared; a pretentious apathic attitude hiding a deep seated wound of loss, sorrow, grief, hurt and anger. He was so tormented yet refused utterly to show it as he's a self sufficient man.

I also loved the subtle comedic bits he showed in various scenes. It added immense reality and believabilty to the character {That underneath all that, Castle was a human being, not a killing machine and not a completely desperate sad person, the circumstances he passed through forced him to appear harsh & vindictive, but in the end, he had an undeniable sense of humour as all humans do and showed every now and then as we all do}.

To mention a few, when he was robbing the bank and threw the soup in the accountant's face and then hit him with the pan, the famous Russian fight scene and when he hit Joan's boyfriend with the knife on his forehead, warning him that; he shouldn't play with knives! Absolutely hilarious!

I now know why TJ was Jonathan Hensleigh first and only choice to play Frank Castle, and he constantly sought Tom each time he declined the role till he approved. No one else could.

No one else could have played Frank Castle the way Thomas Jane has done.

Aaaah... Max Payne 1&2 is amazing. I'm not holding my breath for the third one by Rockstar Vancouver though... Alan Wake next spring on the other hand!! :)

I think there were some miscasting in the movie. I would rather have had Jason Patric as Max and Famke Janssen as Mona.

The extended cut is finally coming out... Not on Blu Ray though :(

So this will be my third Punisher DVD (Region 1, region 2 and now the extended cut) :P

With all this Dark Country custom DVD sleeves, I figured why the fuck not and decided to post the one I did for The Punisher. It's nothing too original or amazing, just simple.

nqf60.jpg

Just finished the extended cut... Loved it. The scene with Castle and Weeks in his apartment was awesome.

I WANT A SEQUEL! ... :(

Yeah, I thought the scene worked great even without the Kuwait scene opening. They really should trimmed the film in other areas to include all those scenes theatrically.

Agreed Mikey. Agreed

Tom talks about what the 'perfect" Punisher movie would be like to MTV News:

"...on 2004's "The Punisher," Thomas Jane's portrayal of Marvel's gun-toting vigilante Frank Castle is widely regarded as one of the high points in the film..."

and

""My interest has always been based more in reality than in superhero fiction, and with the original 'Punisher' I very much pushed them to try to make a movie that was more like 'Death Wish' or 'Taxi Driver' than 'Spider-Man,'" Jane told MTV News."

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/10/07/exclu...ess-spider-man/

Jen

Here's link to review of BluRay DVD that has combined Tom's The Punisher and the WarZone one (if that's what it's called; I haven't paid attention to that one, :lol: ):

"Ruggedly handsome Thomas Jane wears the character's trademark skull logo and leather trenchcoat and does a good job in the role."

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeek...unisher-co.html

Jen

When I first saw that they were making a Punisher flick I thought "ehh they'll screw it up.". And Tom Jane was announced and at the time I didn't know who he was, so I still didn't care. When the pics of Tom drawing back the bow came out I thought "Holy Shit, this guy went for it." and I got interested. It was in a article that mentioned they were going more for Deathwish than Spiderman that put me over the edge. I was excited. I still enjoy the flick for that reason and from that angle, and would like to see them go back to it.

I eventually gave the second one a try and I don't think I got more that 20 minutes in.

Just watched this for the 3rd time yesterday in a week since I brought it. Love it!

I may be female but I love my action packed crime fighting films!

Great Work Tom!! B)

The Punisher Review in retrospect:

" Jane makes a great Punisher too. His performance isn't particularly showy or

layered(God forbid!) but he's just icy and ruthless enough to convince as a man

who has nothing to lose, while retaining a small fragment of his humanity."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ror...s/news/?a=22497

Jen

Blogger posts Top 10 "Get Even" Movies. The Punisher makes the cut:

"The film is driven by Jane's intense performance and it amounts to a thoroughly satisfying conclusion."

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-top-te...-1-10-6-a284829

Jen