sidewaysgaze

The Punisher

The guy had good size.

Ray Stevenson is half his size and 6 inches taller.

-TL

Half his size? since you seem to think ray is so much smaller and you LOVE to post pictures that only prove your point, ill post this

DoingtheNubian.jpg

man, stevenson is so small! I guess you were right tom

Well, Stevenson was kinda of out of shape towards the end of Rome, and only had about 4 months of training. So he looks as good as you can expect in War Zone: Punisher all things considered.

Take a look (well, a read...) at this article that compares all 3 Punisher movies. The reviewer has some interesting points about the one Tom starred in, as well as the others:

"...this is the most polished of the Punisher films, and arguably the best movie of the three."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-mendel...l_b_149500.html

Jen

Take a look (well, a read...) at this article that compares all 3 Punisher movies. The reviewer has some interesting points about the one Tom starred in, as well as the others:

"...this is the most polished of the Punisher films, and arguably the best movie of the three."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-mendel...l_b_149500.html

Jen

Interesting article Jen. Although, I think the author missed a few things about Howard Saint's character. I can't agree with him about that.

Also he has Levi Alexander listed as the director for PWZ. Perhaps he just assumed it was a guy, considering the alleged gore level.

Thanks for posting that article Jen.

i went to LGF with a BAG of dvd's. thirty or forty. big meeting with everyone from marvel and LG there. and i laid them on the table. all gritty urban crime dramas and action films. you all know the ones. and i said this is what we want to see with P2. i even outlined a simple story where we had a female FBI agent working on bringing down a mob family for three years, doing wiretaps and collecting evidence, and on the big night of the bust, FC walks in and kills every one of them in three minutes. job done. and this chick, she's like who the FUCK is this asshole? Three years down the drain in three minutes by some joker with a skull on his chest? no fucking way. and she goes to her boss and says I WANT FRANK CASTLE. he's an affront to the System. this is a girl who had to do everything by the book just to get where she is, loves her job and believes in it, but is kinda feeling that 'glass ceiling' that women sometimes hit in a man's world. she's had to have all the T's crossed and I's dotted to make it, and FC just pisses her off to no end. she goes after him, and she CATCHES him. Locks him up. job done. but at the same time, the MOB goes after her, and kidnaps her kid. (this was Jigsaw and his men.) they are gonna kill the kid. no time for 'by the book.' so she goes to castle in lock up. she looks at him and he looks at her. and she leaves the key on the floor and walks out. and castle destroys every last one of them.

Actually got a chance to read this over in the Punisher War Zone thread. Gave me chills when I played it out in my head, especially the part with Castle and the FBI Agent in the lockup scenario.

Actually got a chance to read this over in the Punisher War Zone thread. Gave me chills when I played it out in my head, especially the part with Castle and the FBI Agent in the lockup scenario.

That was kinda in the Hensleigh first draft, but it's Castle turning himself in to the police so he could get to a pedophile. It was pretty good scene.

That was kinda in the Hensleigh first draft, but it's Castle turning himself in to the police so he could get to a pedophile. It was pretty good scene.

Yeah I guess it mentioned that was part of the pitch that TJ was using when negotiations were going on. Is that draft still available? I'd like to give it a read, if it is.

I thought this reviewer in The Daily Californian said some cool stuff about Tom's The Punisher, in light of the War Zone one being out now...

"I rented the 2004 version, which starred Thomas Jane as “The Punisher” Frank Castle and John Travolta as the villain Howard Saint, and I probably watched it four times before I had to return it. It was awesome. It had it all: murder, revenge, action, romance, drama, comedy. There were touching family scenes and real moments of friendship alongside the charring explosions and loud action scenes. The villains were all one-dimensional, but the heroes had depth, which was nice."

http://blog.dailycal.org/arts/2008/12/post-391/

Jen

...and another reviewer who covers the extended cut version has this to say:

"I loved how these characters were played out. I figured the rest of the film would be your usual here comes the Punisher in Terminate mode, as he leaves a trail of death everywhere he goes, but it wasn’t, It was better. Frank uses the paranoid mood swings of Howard Saint against him, as the final battle was very satisfying."

http://www.movieguys.org/movie-reviews/act...ed-cut-re-view/

Jen

Hi Guys,

I had a chance to see "Punisher Warzone" although there was a lot of action in the film and the character seemed intact from the comics. The

film seemed a little "rushed" and put together and the story was a little too easy to see what was gonna happen. I can see why Thomas Jane

did not want to do it; it was missing a good script and if you like/love the Punisher like I am sure Thomas does he had no choice. The new guy Ray Stevenson (Rome) does try but it just has too many flaws; one big one the acting. The Punisher 04' had much better actors especially with Thomas of course but the whole cast was better.

I think it was rushed, because of Tom holding out for a better script Lionsgate's option on the character was going run out around the beginning of 2008. And once he left they fast tracked the fucking thing.

I just found a truly bizarre 2004 review of Tom's PUNISHER film, acusing it of being "unamerican"! Apologies if this has been posted before.

http://tinyurl.com/6u3qcr

That was one of the most horrifying "reviews" i have ever read--complete right-wing drivel, seeming to come from the same minds that spewed forth the war in the first place. Inexcusable...thank you for posting it. It's always a good idea to read what the other side is up to. i hope people will get and stay informed.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents here…

This is my favorite Punisher film of all the three. Is it perfect? Oh hell no.

The pacing could have been better… but I liked the build up anyways

The origin though flawed still kept some of the key essence: A man loses his family to those who can avoid repercussions from the law and decides to pursue his own more primal form of justice.

The action was just fine even with the absurdity of the Russian fight… I’ve never been able to explain it but it worked for me (I find it both humorous and fitting that the crew called it the ‘Horrific Clown Show’). I just loved that manic grin on Kevin Nash’s as he tossed Jane all over the apartment.

The way they had Frank get revenge upon the Saints… I don’t know it just struck a cord with me and I liked how it played out.

The final shootout was perfect to me.

(Note: I never did need a high body count in order to enjoy revenge or action films – the story of the main character is always the most important part)

Nonetheless I felt that this movie was a good stepping stone introduction for the character and I was really looking forward to Tom Jane taking the character to the next level. You know, really start making Frank the Punisher that most of the fans know and enjoy.

In the end this one gave me just about everything I enjoyed about the character.

I also liked that Jane looked like some of the classic drawings from the 80’s and early 90’s. That’s the Punisher I grew up with and remember the best.

It was a good film. It could have been better, but it was still fun.

It’s one of my standard 'toss in films' when I want some background entertainment as I work on other things.

That was one of the most horrifying "reviews" i have ever read--complete right-wing drivel, seeming to come from the same minds that spewed forth the war in the first place. Inexcusable...thank you for posting it. It's always a good idea to read what the other side is up to. i hope people will get and stay informed.

I can’t believe some Ass would say unAmerican?????

I know and believe in the 1st amendment. But GOD SOME PEOPLE ARE SO FUCKING DUMB!

It’s about a man that take a loss more than most could ever handle and takes the matters in his own hands! I love this movie!!!! One of my top 3 easy!

My wish is that Mr. Jane well return as the Punisher in a new movie with his pick of Director and writer. I’m not sure the chances of that happening are. But that would be so damn cool

Just wanted to say that I made an effort last night to try and catch up with everyone else a little bit with the back catalogue, and bought The Punisher on my way home from work to watch for the very first time. Ever.....

...and I loved it, loved it, LOVED IT!!!! I'm big on my action films generally anyway, but I was so thrilled to find (as has been said by so many on the forum already) that this was just in a totally different league to your "standard" action thriller - gritty, real, and utterly absorbing. I didn't think it was possible that I'd ever shed a tear watching a "revenge" genre pic, but the shot when Frank walks back into the house on the beach for the first time after everything's kicked off, and the look in his eyes...... total goosebumps, and I'm not ashamed to say that I bawled like the girl I am. He just looked like such a completely broken man, and it was heartbreaking. Awesome.

Also, the "torture" scene with the little fella from Ocean's 11 - absolute class. If it's interpreted as Frank having too much fun messing with the guy as I read on one of the earlier posts, then I must have a twisted sense of humour, because I was wetting myself laughing. Funniest thing I've watched in ages, and completely unexpected - I hadn't realised how much humour (dark, my favourite) the story was going to have. Jane's deadpan delivery and timing rocks. :D

Loved Ben Foster as well - he didn't have all that much screen time, but I thought what he did with it was brilliant - really brought his character alive. Was predisposed to like him anyway as I thought he was cracking in 30 Days of Night and Alpha Dog. I've never read the comics, so am I right to assume that those three characters in Frank's building were originally in them?

Found the score a little distracting at a couple of points, and didn't love John Travolta as much as I'd hoped - matter of opinion I know, but he just seemed to me to be playing the same character from Face/Off except dialled back down from 11 to about 6 - but definitely can see myself wearing this DVD out!!

Was it just me by the way, or did anyone else watch the scene on the pier with the wife and son - and again, not having read the comics, I don't know if the scene was lifted directly from them or not, so 'scuse me if I'm being thick - and think...... Mad Max?

Just wanted to say that I made an effort last night to try and catch up with everyone else a little bit with the back catalogue, and bought The Punisher on my way home from work to watch for the very first time. Ever.....

...and I loved it, loved it, LOVED IT!!!! I'm big on my action films generally anyway, but I was so thrilled to find (as has been said by so many on the forum already) that this was just in a totally different league to your "standard" action thriller - gritty, real, and utterly absorbing. I didn't think it was possible that I'd ever shed a tear watching a "revenge" genre pic, but the shot when Frank walks back into the house on the beach for the first time after everything's kicked off, and the look in his eyes...... total goosebumps, and I'm not ashamed to say that I bawled like the girl I am. He just looked like such a completely broken man, and it was heartbreaking. Awesome.

Also, the "torture" scene with the little fella from Ocean's 11 - absolute class. If it's interpreted as Frank having too much fun messing with the guy as I read on one of the earlier posts, then I must have a twisted sense of humour, because I was wetting myself laughing. Funniest thing I've watched in ages, and completely unexpected - I hadn't realised how much humour (dark, my favourite) the story was going to have. Jane's deadpan delivery and timing rocks. :D

Loved Ben Foster as well - he didn't have all that much screen time, but I thought what he did with it was brilliant - really brought his character alive. Was predisposed to like him anyway as I thought he was cracking in 30 Days of Night and Alpha Dog. I've never read the comics, so am I right to assume that those three characters in Frank's building were originally in them?

Found the score a little distracting at a couple of points, and didn't love John Travolta as much as I'd hoped - matter of opinion I know, but he just seemed to me to be playing the same character from Face/Off except dialled back down from 11 to about 6 - but definitely can see myself wearing this DVD out!!

Was it just me by the way, or did anyone else watch the scene on the pier with the wife and son - and again, not having read the comics, I don't know if the scene was lifted directly from them or not, so 'scuse me if I'm being thick - and think...... Mad Max?

Yeah it was lifted from Mad Max.

regards

Andrew

Just out of curiosity, does the Blu Ray version of "The Punisher" starring Thomas Jane contain all the special features from the original DVD, or any at all? I've got the theatrical version and the extended cut, and just wanted to support the product and buy the Blu Ray.

I'm pretty sure it's just the movie on the Blu-ray.

Thomas Jane is THE Punisher! And he will always be....

Everything about that film with him is pure perfection. I hope the makers of the second one are biting their a**es for the big mistake they made by letting Thomas go....

Although I'm sad he didn't return as The Punisher, I'm glad he didn't make such a crap film!