sidewaysgaze

The Punisher

Alright guys the thing about me is this -

I'm 19, 6'2" 1/2, have always been able to maintain, gain, lose weight, and have alot of knowledge about health and fitness.

The key is to not get mixed up in diet fads and celebrity diets. Everyone is different. You need to find out what works for you, because what works for Tom, Ryan, Ed, etc. may not work for you.

Look at Brad Pitt, in Fight Club he weighed at an all time low for him, weighing in lest than 20 lbs what he normally weighed. He is naturally very skinny so to gain muscle was hard but to lose fat was easy.

Me, when I started weight training I was not fat but not thin, I was about 170-180 depending on what I was eating at the time. I never drink sodas, only water, and if I drink alcohol it's only Guinness or Heineken but I don't get wasted. I have one or two a night sometimes, that's about it. I don't like getting drunk, fucks with my mornings.

First, thing, I got my meal plan together for 2 weeks, with one day each week being a cheat day where I had a meal or two of whatever I wanted. Then I began weight training. My workouts are about like Tom's. I workout first four days of week, monday, chest biceps, tuesday, legs, weds, back triceps, thursday, shoulders hamstrings, with 30 minutes on elliptical machine after each workout. Then rest 3 days and start over.

If you want more info, ask.

-JO

Alright guys the thing about me is this -

I'm 19, 6'2" 1/2, have always been able to maintain, gain, lose weight, and have alot of knowledge about health and fitness.

The key is to not get mixed up in diet fads and celebrity diets. Everyone is different. You need to find out what works for you, because what works for Tom, Ryan, Ed, etc. may not work for you.

Look at Brad Pitt, in Fight Club he weighed at an all time low for him, weighing in lest than 20 lbs what he normally weighed. He is naturally very skinny so to gain muscle was hard but to lose fat was easy.

Me, when I started weight training I was not fat but not thin, I was about 170-180 depending on what I was eating at the time. I never drink sodas, only water, and if I drink alcohol it's only Guinness or Heineken but I don't get wasted. I have one or two a night sometimes, that's about it. I don't like getting drunk, fucks with my mornings.

First, thing, I got my meal plan together for 2 weeks, with one day each week being a cheat day where I had a meal or two of whatever I wanted. Then I began weight training. My workouts are about like Tom's. I workout first four days of week, monday, chest biceps, tuesday, legs, weds, back triceps, thursday, shoulders hamstrings, with 30 minutes on elliptical machine after each workout. Then rest 3 days and start over.

If you want more info, ask.

-JO

Cool man, everyoners info is helpful to me.

Impressive techniques JO. Gotta hand it to ya. I prefer 1 bodypart a day, hitting the weights 6 days a week. It keeps me focused, and I can't even remember goin 3 days without training. I'm also an INSANE runner. 4:00 am, about 5 miles at a steady pace. I love a good run. One thing I despise: spinning. I like to control my own cardio, not have a machine do it for me. Fuckin old school.

-TL

Impressive techniques JO. Gotta hand it to ya. I prefer 1 bodypart a day, hitting the weights 6 days a week. It keeps me focused, and I can't even remember goin 3 days without training. I'm also an INSANE runner. 4:00 am, about 5 miles at a steady pace. I love a good run. One thing I despise: spinning. I like to control my own cardio, not have a machine do it for me. Fuckin old school.

-TL

Yeah, the elliptical machine is the only cardio machine I'll use. Because it's like running except on air. It helped me out alot with my short and long distance running.

I have very good endurance now and can run over 1.5 miles without getting out of breath. Also, I can see how many strides I do a minute. Sometimes I get up to 240 strides a minute. Crazy.

I used to do the one body part thing but it messed up my going to work routine and so on so I switched it to 4 days. The three days is because I don't want to work my body to much. Muscle is built in the kitchen and on down time not in the gym. The more protein you eat to help your muscles build. But, I don't gorge myself with food like people do on bulks. I hate that shit. I eat very balanced. 6 times a day. 3 main meals, 3 snacks. The last being right when I go to bed.

See when you're sleeping your body shuts down. No food but muscle and what's in your stomach to feed on. If stomach is empty then your body eats you. Simple.

So you need something that is slow digesting. I drink a casein protein shake, just casein and water, before I go to bed. The casein will ball up in your stomach and take around 7-8 hours to be finally digested. So your body burns calories eating this yet it also gets the protein, doesn't eat your muscles and helps you sleep. A good casein is Optimum Nutrition Casein. You can find it at a health food store like GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. Or on internet for probably cheaper. I order mine off Amazon.com

Water, lots of water. Your body is fueled by water, if you don't drink at least 3 to 6 liters a day the body holds on to water and gives you a bloated look. No cuts are shown. If you drink water and use it, then it has no reason to hold on to it. So the water leaves the body and begins to show results. Plus drinking water burns calories.

More info later. Questions? Just ask.

-JO

100% Agreement on your water policy/stats. I think Frank Castle had some kinda cantine that we just never got to see. All we saw was Wild Turkey and some milk in the fridge. I don't drink milk.

Thomas Jane is Francis Castle Jr.

thomasjanepunisher7pp2.jpg

-TL

Naw, I don't drink milk either. Not that I don't like it, it's just I like water more. With me, when it comes down to drinks it goes like this:

-Water

-Guinness

-Coffee

-Heineken

-Orange Juice

-Apple Juice

Pretty much.

-JO

Let me put this out there, my top 3 favorite scenes in The Punisher:

#1: The Battle of the Beefcakes (stole that from Premiere magazine), TJ vs. Kevin the "JACKNIFE POWERBOMBER" Nash. Perfect testosterone driven battle royale.

#2: "Good business? Murder? Does Saint Pay ya for each one, or does he get a group-rate discount?" First blood for Frank as the Punisher. Bring out the Colts.

#3: "I'm gonna go smoke some cigarettes". Claymore mine extravaganza!!! No gunfighting required. John or somebody shoulda gotten blown to pieces in that boat though.

The girl I was watchin it with the first day it came out, covered her eyes when Big Daddy Cool made TJ stab himself...

kevinnashistherussian2ji2.jpg

-TL

I must say that the fight scene is my favorite scene. Especially when they go down the stairs, then we see Tom standing there saying, "I'm ok, he's not" then passes out cold.

Other scenes would have to be when he smacks the boyfriend in the nose with the butterfly knife.

-JO

The Punisher DVD commentray is one of the best I have ever heard at this point in time. It's a commentray that just about talks about everything that happen with this film, what they did, what could do and what they were not able to do. It's too bad Tom wasn't there for the commentray.

I was surprised to see that FX (basic cable) is playing the Punisher extended cut. I think its a great move because people watching it for the first time [on TV] can get the complete tale of Frank Castle Thomas and Jonathan Hensleigh wanted them to see. The channel has also been playing Spider Man 2.1 and now that they're premiering Fantastic 4, I'm expecting to see Tim Story's extended cut on there as well.

-TL

Yeah, I was watching that on FX last night, too. I only have the theatrical release cut on DVD, so I pay more attention to the scenes on FX that I don't have on my DVD. I guess thay don't mind spreading it out over the three hour time slot with commercials.

In the new issue of Wizard Magazine (#196 February) with Iron Man on the cover, there's a small interview with Ray Stevenson, where he reveals to have watched The Punisher purely out of "curiosity". What he fails to do is provide his opinion on it.

I'm thinkin he was blown the fuck away by it and felt really nervous about following in the footsteps of THE JANE. He shoulda watched it before taking the role.

Talk about fitting the part...

thomasjanethepunisherwht9.jpg

-TL

In the new issue of Wizard Magazine (#196 February) with Iron Man on the cover, there's a small interview with Ray Stevenson, where he reveals to have watched The Punisher purely out of "curiosity". What he fails to do is provide his opinion on it.

I'm thinkin he was blown the fuck away by it and felt really nervous about following in the footsteps of THE JANE. He shoulda watched it before taking the role.

Hahahahahaha!!! :lol: Yeah, I bet.

Talk about fitting the part...

-TL

The movie as a whole, I doubt it. While I found it entertaining, it has some serious flaws.

The Punisher comes on today at 4:30 PM EST on FX. Check your listings.

I just watched The Punisher on FX, and I was surprised by how little I knew about the making of this movie. I always loved it, but I never really looked into the behind the scenes stuff about this film. So as I was watching it on FX and they were showing all the "making of" stuff about filming it and how they staged the stunts, I was really fascinated by it. So I got out my dvds and watched the featurettes on both dvds and was again impressed by just how amazing of a job these guys did on this movie, with such a small budget, and severe time constraints. That just makes the movie that much more impressive to me, and Thomas that much more incredible in my mind, that he did such a great job while having to work so hard and deal with all that stuff. The part that I laughed about (because I've lived there and experienced it myself) was the Florida heat and the daily thunderstorms ( and I do mean DAILY. They roll in like clockwork every afternoon in the summer. )

And the amount of time that Thomas spent preparing for the role was amazing, and everything that he put into getting ready for that role just blows me away. The featurettes on both the first edition and the extended cut are very interesting and cool. I love all the behind the scenes stuff, so that was like candy for my sweet tooth, lol.

Let me just say now that if I hadn't been impressed with Thomas before, that I would be now for sure. The man really puts his heart and soul into what he does and cares about what he does. That is the trademark of a true professional.

Mediumfan

I realize this might be sacriligous here but I didn't like the Punisher film. That said I do like Jane as Frank. Once the character finally goes down the chosen path his voice and presence have the right tone of blunt menace. He isn't just angry, he has a purpose. Jane gave that to us. Physically he's a great pick. Not perfect but I don't know of an actor that would be. Which is strange since Frank's basic appearance is one of the most simplistic of all the comic lead characters. Maybe that's the problem. But I'm rambling.

The story was boring. It took a handful of elements from Ennis' Welcome Back Frank series but didn't do much with them. Ennis has always made a point of having extremely interesting villains, and the ones in the movie were so bland. John travolta is a good actor, but there was no character for him to explore. Add in a wordless Russian and a singing hitman who dies after a chase scene (a punisher chase scene?) and you just don't have any bad guys you enjoy watching him kill.

Another piece missing which is a staple of the Punisher is the narration. Throughout the comics he says very little out loud but always tells the reader what he is thinking. And we know Jane could do it (and a great job at that) because that's most of his dialog from the video game. Anyway, I could go on but I'll stop now. I was hoping that Tom's involvement in the comic industry and his efforts on the sequel would help to make it more like the comics, but after he had to step away from the project my hopes are all but dead.

Just as an answer for possible questions. I saw the movie before I started reading the comics and hated it. I picked up comics in 2005 after 10 years of not reading them and the TPB of Welcome Back Frank was one of the first things I read. I immediately went looking for any Punisher (Ennis writing) trades I could find. And after reading the books I feel even more strongly about my dislike for the film.

I'm looking forward to the fuck load of flaws Warzone will have. I'm predicting 2 hours worth of flaws. Or just plain old shit.

-TL

I agree; I found something interesting from ComicUS.it. As I choked on my Kraft mac and cheese reading this, I try to never quote from any movie, BUT...there can be only one Punisher: THOMAS JANE

Actor Doug Hutchinson appears in the upcoming 'Punisher: War Zone' as Looney Bin Jim, a character created for the screen by director Lexi Alexander. Comicus.it sat down with the actor for an in-depth Q & A (presented in both Italian and English).

English version: Interview by Carlo Coratelli

Translation by Andrea Cassola

2/24/08

Welcome to Comicus. First of all, who is Looney Bin Jim?

Looney Bin Jim is described by another character in the movie as a cross between "Hannibal Lecter and Hitler". He's the only character in the film that does not exist in the graphic novel. LBJ is an invention of Lexi Alexander, the director/writer.

What is your relationship with Jigsaw and the Punisher, the two main characters of the film?

Looney Bin Jim is Jigsaw's brother and Frank Castle's worst nightmare.

Recently, on your official website, you said that for this role director Lexi Alexander let you free you instincts. How would describe your preparation to do this?

I changed physically. LBJ resided in an asylum for the criminally insane for 10 years. So, I shaved my head and worked diligently with our make-up artist to add a pale pallor, dark circles under my eyes, and a gaunt "craziness" to my appearance. I worked with our dialect coach to hone a Brooklyn accent. Also, LBJ disintegrates both mentally and physically throughout the film as his medication wears off and he grows increasingly violent. I "scored" the script (and my character arc) with Lexi in order to keep track of the gradual transformations. Other than that, I just had a hell of a lot of fun playing a deranged psycho!

Let’s talk about Lexi Alexander. Many people describe her as a fighter. How would you describe her approach to a film like Punisher War Zone?

Lexi's a visionary. She's also a "fighter". Indeed! She fought for me, she fought for Ray Stevenson, and she fought for every single aspect of her vision. We had extensive rehearsals. She and Steve Gainer (our DP) came up with a mind-blowing lighting scheme. I completely trusted Lexi's direction and she, in turn, totally trusted us to bring her characters to life.

What kind of movie-style do you think Punisher War Zone draw up? Is it a sort of urban western, as the previous movie, or is it nearer to classics like The French Connection?

This movie will be nothing like any of the previous Punisher films. In fact, it's not a sequel. It's its own entity. "Punisher: War Zone" is going to blow you away visually. It will be very close to the "look" of the graphic novel. The lighting, the sets, the costumes, the style: all of it is going to have a dynamic gothic gritty urban timeless feel. I think it's going to look as stunning as something like "Blade Runner".

Can you talk about Dominic West, alias Jigsaw?

Dominic and I had a virtual blast together. A lot of laughs! We also worked to find moments of "brotherly love" in our scenes whenever we could. Hopefully, our "tenderness" to one another is gonna come off disturbing as Hell because our characters are such monsters.

You shot some scenes together with the protagonist, Ray Stevenson. What can you tell us about him?

Ray was an absolute pro and a delight to work with. I saw some rough-cut scenes and Ray delivers a poignant stoic heart-felt performance. Ray IS The Punisher.

I suppose that in the movie there will be a confrontation between your character and Stevenson’s. I think this encounter, besides being a physical fight, also has psychological sides. Is there a dialogue, some lines, according you, that underscore this aspect? If so, can you give us a sample, or describe it, without spoiling too much?

LBJ promises Jigsaw that he will "kill Castle, slowly and painfully". Ray and I have a fight scene in the movie that is gonna knock your socks off! It's violent, vicious, and relentless. I'm not gonna tell ya who wins, though!

During these weeks we’ve heard many cast members talking about a very strong resemblance between cast and crew on the set. Can you tell us some funny backstage stories?

Dominic hated his Jigsaw prosthetics. Absolutely HATED it! The poor guy had to sit in the FX make-up chair for approximately 3 hours every day. So, I was constantly ribbing him about it. Saying: "I'm glad I'm playing LBJ and not Jigsaw, you poor bastard". Dom would look at me with that disgusting Jigsaw face and say (in his dry English accent): "Fuck you".

An unusual question: I know you fell in love with Montreal... have you plans of getting back there?

As a matter of fact, I just returned to Montreal for 2 weeks and I'm going back in March for another week. I adore Montreal. It's a clean, safe, gorgeous, exciting city. I'm actually looking into buying property there. Next to New York City, Montreal has my heart.

What are your future projects?

I'm producing an internet-based webisodic series called "Vampire Killers". It's like "Cops" meets "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". We're shooting the Pilot in Spring '08. I'm also hoping to direct my screenplay, "The Damned", in the not so distant future. "Punisher: War Zone" opens in September. Another Lion's Gate film I starred in, "The Burrowers", will hopefully be opening soon as well. Other than that, I'm planning to resume my Art of Stillness acting workshops/classes sometime this Summer. I like to teach.

I went over to IMDb to look up this guy, and the correct spelling is Hutchison, just in case anybody else goes looking for info.

Thanks for the article.

Although, reading anything about this flick is pretty much depressing to me. :(

I just watched The Punisher on FX, and I was surprised by how little I knew about the making of this movie. I always loved it, but I never really looked into the behind the scenes stuff about this film. ... The featurettes on both the first edition and the extended cut are very interesting and cool. I love all the behind the scenes stuff, so that was like candy for my sweet tooth, lol.

Let me just say now that if I hadn't been impressed with Thomas before, that I would be now for sure. The man really puts his heart and soul into what he does and cares about what he does. That is the trademark of a true professional.

Mediumfan

Hi Mediumfan - I've got a question for you - do you recall if FX Channel was showing the featurettes of the first edition of The Punisher, or also the extended cut edition?

Thanks for any info about that. :)

Jen

I saw that movie as well on FX Jen. When I saw it on FX, it was the extended cut, because there were scenes I did not see originally.

Hi Mediumfan - I've got a question for you - do you recall if FX Channel was showing the featurettes of the first edition of The Punisher, or also the extended cut edition?

Thanks for any info about that. :)

Jen

It was the ones off of the first edition, Jen, the ones that talked about doing the covers for the comics and the stunts and the ones that showed the training that Thomas went through before the movie was shot.

The only featurette on the extended cut was about the animated sequence and how it was shot, and I don't think that was shown on FX. The only ones I saw were on the first edition.

I saw that movie as well on FX Jen. When I saw it on FX, it was the extended cut, because there were scenes I did not see originally.

I didn't see any scenes in that one that weren't in the original version. According to the featurette on the extended cut, the main part of the story that was cut was the Kuwait animated sequence, (which wasn't shown on FX, to my knowledge) and the storyline with Jimmy Weeks, which was touched on briefly in the original version featurette, but was not shown on FX.

mediumfan