sidewaysgaze

The Punisher

Hey all - I'm just going to be adding threads for all Tom's movies, so we can talk about them, even the older or more rare ones.

I know that there are threads about The Punisher elsewhere on the Forum, but none present to you, The Punisher:

TJPunisher.jpg

I thought Tom was amazing - his acting, his dedication to the role, his ummm...physique... ;)

Jen

loved Tom as the Punisher, it is the film that turned me into a Thomas Jane fan. After seeing how well he did as Frank I went and found every movie with him in it I could find. He is truly an amazing actor. I am not sure why he is not far more well known that some other ..how shall I politely say this....far less talented "superstar" Actors ...I am sure some that fit the bill will come to your mind. I can also say a long time Punisher fan I am very proud of Tom leaving the Punisher sequel since he didn't believe in the direction they were going with it. After having read a review of the newest script I am even more sure he was right to do so! If you wish to read about the awful script go here. Tom if you should happen to read this Thanks for giving the fans a great performance as Frank Castle.

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/revi...aid/5553/tcid/1

Aaron

Seeing what Tom did and what he put himself through into becoming the Punisher and knowing what Tom wanted to do for Punisher 2, the ideas he had and how long he tried to make that happen... Tom became one of my favorite actors.

The Punisher has been drawn by different artist over the years and to me Tom has the John Romita Jr. look. Man... look at that face and those eyes...

http://www.punisher-art.com/misc_art/2004_...ie_still_10.jpg

http://www.punisher-art.com/artists/romita...romita_jr_1.jpg

The Tim Bradstreet look ;). Just slick his hair back, add a little more shdow to the eyes and I would not be able to tell Tom and the model they use for the covers.

http://www.punisher-art.com/misc_art/2004_...street_1of5.jpg

The Steven Dillon look. He's got that look like he's just going to blow you away.

http://www.thepunisher.com/past_news/febru...ne-graphic1.png

http://www.punisher-art.com/artists/dillon..._punisher_7.jpg

There are a few more Punisher's that Tom looks like but I can't remember them right now. And lets not forget the voice acting Tom did in the Punisher video game.

What I like about how Tom played The Punisher is that he had such an emotionally stony exterior, but you could see through his eyes, speech, and gestures how internally tortured he was. I mean, it must have been so tiring to portray this kind of person for long hours of filming...

Jen

One of the many great things about this movie is that the actors they got looked very much like there characters. One of course was Tom Jane as Frank Castle. Another one was Samantha Mathis as Maria Castle. We only know so much about Maria Castle, but from what we do know from flashbacks is that she was a very loving and supporting wife and Samantha looked and acted just like the character she was playing.

I would like to see Tom Jane and Samantha Mathis together again in another movie. I thought they had great chemistry together in the Punisher.

samantha_mathis7.jpg

trailer_01.jpg

I believe he finished Stander while he was training and researching the Frank Castle role. I remember on the first dvd commentary that Hensleigh pointed out the Otto Grieg disguise was Tom's idea to reference Stander. The irony being that Tom is really blonde, died his hair black, and had to wear a blonde wig.

Its only natural for me to pay my respects to Frank Castle in this thread. I understand that many people knew about Frank, long before this film hit the theatres. But what I came to notice after havin seen this film and havin multiple conversations about it with others, is that never before this film, was Frank ever truly alive. Sure the guy had 30 years of comics mileage to differ, but none of the books could really do what a film could do. This film did it and more. It made him a living, breathing, menacing presence. A figure that ain't like any other. At least not that I can think of. I don't know if Jonathan Hensleigh or the traitors over at LGF that made it and our now makin Disaster Zone, know WHAT they made 4 years ago. Perhaps in time they'll figure it out. Sometimes, what you think will be a journey, ends up being a couple of minutes. I was ready to follow Frank wherever he went. Wherever he had to go. I was ready. Before 2004, Frank was just a couple of minutes I'd read here and there. No biggie. Not alive enough for me to follow. I hate having to accept it's all over and done. And I know that many of you in a quest for hope will try to follow whatever deformed version of Frank is out there. I can't do that. I can't watch him embarass himself. I'm fuckin loyal to Frank, the same way I am to any other friend. I say this to all those that witnessed Frank's glory on-screen and felt it, felt when he picked up those Colts and waged war on the Saints: Somewhere in time, Castle is still out there on that bridge, wearing that skull of fury on his chest and announcing "Those who do evil to others, the killers, rapists, psychos, sadists - will come to know me well. Frank Castle is dead. Call me, the Punisher." Farewell soldier,

Thomas Jane is Francis Castle Jr.

thomasjaneisfrankcastlepa0.jpg

-TL

That's alot of fuckin weight dude! I'm doin 150 right now, and 45s on each arm about 12 times. TJ's got money though, so I wouldn't be shocked if his trainers introduced him to strength gaining exercises I wouldn't know about and couldn't afford. From what I hear, he went from 165 lbs (Dreamcatcher) to 185 lbs. for Punisher. That's 20 pounds of lean muscle in a 6 month period (February '03 - August '03). Its taken me 3 years in the gym to gain that! I was 162 lbs during my boxing period at 7% bf, and when I dieted this year in May I ended up at 183 lbs. at 8%. TJ and Hugh Jackman have had the overall greatest training results for their films. Fuckin badasses.

-TL

Ryan Reynolds ranks up there. He gained 25lbs of muscle in a little over 5 months for Blade Trinity. And he went down to 2% body fat. Crazy.

I gain and lose weight easy. Once, I went from an average build of 170lbs to 200lbs in less than 4 months. Gained 30lbs of muscle at 8-9% bodyfat. Weird.

-JO

Haha, I got down to strict intake. No booze. Only chicken and fish. I don't really like red meat or pork anyway. Veggies. I drink about 6 gallons of water a day, and that's when now working out. Worked out 4 days a week, cardio 4 days a week after workout is complete and that's it.

I began to experiment and once I lost 30 lbs in 2 weeks. It's crazy the stuff I've done on simple diet, etc.

Plus, my mother is a nutritionist so I know alot about food. I cook too.

-JO

I need to get into another weight training routine that has great results..

See I was friggin fat like pilsbury dogh boy fat ya know a while back. one day I was like screw this, and I began to train, exercising like crazy everyday, eatin only what I needed and nothing more. It worked perfectly, so now i'm all nice and lean heh heh.

But other than that, The Punisher is one of my favorite characters, reason why he makes my list of 3 favorite characters cuz he reminds me a lot of my personality almost to a point where its kind of scary whatchin him on screen. that goes for my other two favorite characters.. Wolverine and Spiderman. All three of em are my top 3 favorites cuz if they were mixed together, that would exactly be my personality.

But still Tom did a friggin awesome job at being the punisher, musta been fun playin with the butterfly knives heh heh.

Alright my only conclusion to your evolutionary technique Mr. O'Brian, is that you are a distant relative of Lou Ferrigno. jk Are you taller than 6 ft? I'm 5'11" so naturally, without doing shit in the gym - my base weight is 200 (14 % body fat). I know that TJ (well according to Premiere magazine) drank alotta Myoplex. Myoplex DLX is a way better version of it - or maybe Premiere left out "DLX" from the article. Thing is, ya can't use Myoplex to diet, cause its got too much sodium and too much sugar. I use Pro-Complex, which got me down to 8%. Most liquid proteins won't let ya get below 11%. Maybe TJ used it to build muscle and then dropped it when he started dieting. Possible.

thomasjanethepunisher2tr1.jpg

He looks 8%. Magazines (Muscle & Fitness, Men's Health) said he was 10. His face looks 8. I'm 11 in the pic I left at the welcome thread.

-TL

Alright my only conclusion to your evolutionary technique Mr. O'Brian, is that you are a distant relative of Lou Ferrigno. jk Are you taller than 6 ft? I'm 5'11" so naturally, without doing shit in the gym - my base weight is 200 (14 % body fat). I know that TJ (well according to Premiere magazine) drank alotta Myoplex. Myoplex DLX is a way better version of it - or maybe Premiere left out "DLX" from the article. Thing is, ya can't use Myoplex to diet, cause its got too much sodium and too much sugar. I use Pro-Complex, which got me down to 8%. Most liquid proteins won't let ya get below 11%. Maybe TJ used it to build muscle and then dropped it when he started dieting. Possible.

thomasjanethepunisher2tr1.jpg

He looks 8%. Magazines (Muscle & Fitness, Men's Health) said he was 10. His face looks 8. I'm 11 in the pic I left at the welcome thread.

-TL

Myoplex DLX is basically protein right? Hmm dunno if it's at the food store.. Health food store might have it...

So you drink it before or after you work out?

You're supposed to get 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. If you weigh 150, then ya oughtta be gettin 225 grams of protein a day. I don't recommend to do all of it in Myoplex (which yeah is just high-quality protein), you should get a quarter of your protein from solid food. I recommend lean ground turkey breast. You can make turkey burgers on the foreman grill. Two 10 ounce burgers will get ya 70 grams of protein. The remainder of protein you need, drink it (myoplex). Drink it every 2 hours as you should be eating every two hours. And take it IMMEDIATELY after you've hit the gym or done cardio.

-TL

You're supposed to get 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. If ya weigh 150, then ya oughtta be gettin 225 grams of protein a day. I don't recommend to do all of it in Myoplex (which yeah is just high-quality protein), you should get a quarter of your protein from solid food. I recommend lean ground turkey breast. You can make turkey burgers on the foreman grill. Two 10 ounce burgers will get ya 70 grams of protein. The remainder of protein you need, drink it (myoplex). Drink it every 2 hours as you should be eating every two hours. And take it IMMEDIATELY after you've hit the gym or done cardio.

-TL

True true. Yet I would need ta get a foreman grill heh heh, but I think the old gas grill will do not unless I figure out the oven.

I don't go to the gym, so thats why I need a good schedule for myself to know cuz im kinda clueless, but I have a weightset in my room.. tkaes up half my room but it's alright. plus I got a bunch of exersise machines.

How much does the Myoplex DLX cost?

And now the reason why most people don't buy Myoplex:

-1 box of 36 servings/53 grams per serving (1 week supply) = $70

*that's about $300 a month dude. I get Pro-Complex which is $200 a month, but it tastes like mudd. YOU GOTTA join a gym. The atmosphere will get you big.

-TL

And now the reason why most people don't buy Myoplex:

-1 box of 36 servings/53 grams per serving (1 week supply) = $70

*that's about $300 a month dude. I get Pro-Complex which is $200 a month, but it tastes like mudd. YOU GOTTA join a gym. The atmosphere will get you big.

-TL

Dang thats pretty expensive.. though there are regualr protein drinks out there.. not as good as the expensive stuff though.

I'll think bout joinin a gym, Though Got school all the time... though I might be able to use the weightroom at my school I dunno. Gym might be better, but you got those contracts and stuff like that which might be a pain in the ass...

J, 80% of gyms in America have month-to-month memberships. The problem with that kind of membership is that essentially its a rip-off. Contracts save you money, but require you to spend a big chunk at one time. I'd stick to doing it monthly (no credit card required). Just stay away from big cockheaded gyms like 24 and L.A. Fitness. Find a smaller gym, and make sure the dumbells surpass 100 lbs. Within 6 months, any steady gym freak (like myself) can achieve shoulder-pressing or kick-backing 100 pound dumbells. These Laguna Beach pansie gyms, have light weights for light people. Forget about saunas and hd tvs in a gym. Look for heavy and old iron.

-TL

J, 80% of gyms in America have month-to-month memberships. The problem with that kind of membership is that essentially its a rip-off. Contracts save you money, but require you to spend a big chunk at one time. I'd stick to doing it monthly (no credit card required). Just stay away from big cockheaded gyms like 24 and L.A. Fitness. Find a smaller gym, and make sure the dumbells surpass 100 lbs. Within 6 months, any steady gym freak (like myself) can achieve shoulder-pressing or kick-backing 100 pound dumbells. These Laguna Beach pansie gyms, have light weights for light people. Forget about saunas and hd tvs in a gym. Look for heavy and old iron.

-TL

True that man. I'd go for the real stuff anytime. well said too.

Reminded me of the movie dodgeball heh.

I'll defiently look into the gyms round here. See if any of my buddies wanna sign up with me.

I'm just glad that actors these days are willing to turn themselves into fuckin body-builders for their roles. Ed Norton in American History X. Ryan Reynolds in Blade: Suckass. Chris Evans in Fantastic 4. TJ in the Punisher. Now the one guy that took that idea to the extreme is Hugh Jackman. He made body-building part of his lifestyle. The guy hits the gym every day and swims miles in a world pool or at the beach. When he got cast for X1, He was 180 at 6'3". That blows. I weigh more than that and I'm not even 6 ft.

hughjackmaniswolverine6kv9.jpg

For X2 (2003) the guy transformed himself. He came back weighing 200 at 8%. Perfect timing, cause they brought out the wife beater.

hughjackmanx2cd3.jpg

Then for X3 (2006), the man went all the way to massiveness. He weighed 220 in The Last Stand at 7% body fat. A BIG fuckin guy.

hughjackmaniswolverine2lm8.jpg

Hugh Jackman broke the barrier. He became the preparation. Now for X-Men Origins: Wolverine (summer 2009), how big can the guy get???

Here's a shot of him last month, they start shooting the film in January...

jackmantrainingum2.jpg

I'm sure if TJ had been given the chance to play Frank Castle again, he woulda reached 200 lbs solid. No FUCKING doubt.

-TL

I'm just glad that actors these days are willing to turn themselves into fuckin body-builders for their roles. Ed Norton in American History X. Ryan Reynolds in Blade: Suckass. Chris Evans in Fantastic 4. TJ in the Punisher. Now the one guy that took that idea to the extreme is Hugh Jackman. He made body-building part of his lifestyle. The guy hits the gym every day and swims miles in a world pool or at the beach. When he got cast for X1, He was 180 at 6'3". That blows. I weigh more than that and I'm not even 6 ft.

hughjackmaniswolverine6kv9.jpg

For X2 (2003) the guy transformed himself. He came back weighing 200 at 8%. Perfect timing, cause they brought out the wife beater.

hughjackmanx2cd3.jpg

Then for X3 (2006), the man went all the way to massiveness. He weighed 220 in the Last Stand at 7% body fat. A BIG fuckin guy.

hughjackmaniswolverine2lm8.jpg

Hugh Jackman broke the barrier. He became the preparation. Now for Wolverine (fall 2008), how big can the guy get???

Here's a shot of him last month, they start shooting the film next month...

jackmantrainingum2.jpg

I'm sure if TJ had been given the chance to play Frank Castle again, he woulda reached 200 lbs solid. No FUCKING doubt.

-TL

Damn hes pretty buff. Wish I could train like that everyday heh heh.

Anyways man I gotta go

Catch ya later

-Jason