Tim Bradstreet

Robert E. Howard's - Desert Adventures

Unsure of the books dimensions yet.

Though I am going to impress upon Paradox that at some point I'd like to do an oversized edition that has all the black and white stuff I did plus a cover and color plates by me. This current edition will have a cover and color plates by Jim and Ruth Keegan. They are awesome, but I'd like to go this one totally alone at some point, and in large format.

Discussing with Paradox.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I'm really looking forward to this edition, but an oversized edition with a color cover done by you Tim would be much preferred. Your present style of color work is the 2 dimensional equivalent of crack cocaine. Itching for the next fix!

Your love for this subject matter shines through. In black and white, color, whatever medium you choose (film would be awesome Jweb, wouldn't it be?) I'm sure we're all going to be there to geek out with you! :)

I can't wait to see more!

Unsure of the books dimensions yet.

Though I am going to impress upon Paradox that at some point I'd like to do an oversized edition that has all the black and white stuff I did plus a cover and color plates by me. This current edition will have a cover and color plates by Jim and Ruth Keegan. They are awesome, but I'd like to go this one totally alone at some point, and in large format.

Discussing with Paradox.

- TB

That would be great. I've never really had a reason to get into the oversized editions, but they're fan-fucking-tastic. I love the way the art just pops out at you.

Noeland, glad your with me. I wish they could put out films that had half the style Tim's work has.

Passed along the idea of me doing a definitive version of the Desert Adventures, more illustration in black and white, me doing all the color plates and the cover. Paradox like the idea but we don't want to compete with the current version since they are pals and publishing partners.

Could happen though it would likely be next year. Possible that RAW could publish it - Oversized, natch.

Also. I put this gig to bed this morning at 7:30AM after a long 15 hour session at the table.

The Desert Adventures as it stands now is COMPLETED!

Now I want to do 60 more ;)

- TB

Way to go Tim! Can't wait to see what you have in store. The teasers you've shown have got me waiting in anticipation. Paradox did a great job matching subject matter with artisic style. Now get some rest!

Good to know this project is finally under your belt. And even better news to know it may continue, especially if it comes from RAW. Sign me up for the next photo shoots.

Mike

Guest AdminGuyX

Dude, 15 hours at the table. OUCH. Hello muscle relaxers . . .

I'm happy for you! I really can't wait to see this, whatever format it's published in.

Can't wait to see the finished work! Congrats on maybe a continuation?...it would be so very cool!

Been a long hiatus on this thread since last we talked of the Desert Adventures . . . But the wait is all but over.

The title has been changed but the book, Robert E. Howard: El Borak and other Desert Adventures hit's bookstores everywhere in the hemisphere on February 9th, 2010.

You've seen one of the spot illustrations and I revealed one of the header illustrations way back on 4, September 09, but finally I have been given the green light to show off more.

Jane and my pal, stunt man extraordinaire Con Schell posed for much of the character stuff. Additional models were Tim Daly, Rene Musseaux, and a mystery guest or two ;)

Here's a sample -

Title page illustration -

REHTitlepage2F.jpg

Frontispiece -

REHTitlepage1F.jpg

Vignette from The Daughter Of Erlik Khan -

Vig3.jpg

And a special surprise awaits you if you check out the Hot off the boards thread.

Hope you dig, will be posting more art from El Borak and other Desert Adventures as we tick down to release date.

Cheers - Tim

I'm really loving the illustrations. They're incredible.

Those last three are killer. Makes me want to watch Gunga Din. Always a fan of Howard, Kull's introspective, quasi-cosmic dealings with time travel and the ethereal afterlife always stood out more to me than Conan, Brak or Solomon.

Awesome work, Tim! I especially like the Daughter Of Erlik Khan image. The scimitar, the feeling of movement from the horse and the ferocity of Gordon... great spirit.

Thanks all, kindly.

Here's a few behind the scenes shots. I'll be adding more.

Jane and Con Schell galloping with an intent to do harm ;)

ElBorak_1549.jpg

Con Schell getting his Kirby O'Donnell beard applied -

con_1951.jpg

Fun shit - And shooting at the Burbank Stables was a tough afternoon with 106 degree temperatures and no shade.

Big giant thanks to Mike Hess for assisting on that shoot, brutal ;)

- TB

These are really great. My favorite is The Daughter of Erlik Khan -- those two brush strokes for BG and the twisting horse head do it for me. TJ's howl aint too shabby either ; -).

The top photo makes me sad, only in the fact that there is a kick ass film waiting to be made (but probably won't happen).

I like checking these photos out and seeing where the art comes from. Looks like it was a blast, besides the heat.

there is a kick ass film waiting to be made (but probably won't happen).

I would definitely go see the movie.

I've been posting these to Facebook Album first, attempting to raise awareness, updating daily.

Here's today's preview -

Header illustration for Gold From Tartary, featuring Kirby O'Donnell -

Header8GoldFromTartaryF.jpg

And a special preview just for you guys which has not been posted to FB yet.

Full page illustration for Son Of The White Wolf, featuring El Borak -

SonoftheWhiteWolfFullF.jpg

Hope ya dig.

- TB

Thought you guys might enjoy this -

janebreakelborak.jpg

This is after shooting in 106 degree temps on horseback for 4 hours.

TJ was beat, and then we started all over again for another 4 hours shooting inside with controlled light.

We actually finished up without him because as we were shooting he started to break out in a sweat, then he got real pale . . .

Then he got really sick, sick as a dog. The fucker KEPT going even when we KNEW he was in real discomfort.

Finally he had to take a bow and go to bed. We shot for about another hour with Con Schell.

And a big giant thanks and a big hug and kiss to Patricia for putting up with us heathens ;)

- TB

Thought you guys might enjoy this -

janebreakelborak.jpg

El Borak, the swift eh? :P

Hehe nice. Thanks for sharing, Tim.

Full page illustration for Son Of The White Wolf, featuring El Borak -

SonoftheWhiteWolfFullF.jpg

Hope ya dig.

- TB

I can almost see faces in that cliff behind him, kinda anguish to angry. Was that intentional, happy accident, or am I just going nuts? I suppose it could be like seeing faces in clouds or woodgrain.

These all look damn slick, and the addition of Jane just ups the cool factor.

Buyers of Desert adventures are going to be getting a tremendous dose of QUINTESSENTIAL BRADSTREET. I really hope Paradox decides to continue to have you illustrate more novels for them like this.

The heat at the stables was something else; likely all of us suffered a little heat exhaustion. Con said the desert nomad garb actually helped keep him cool, even the black stuff.

It was every bit my pleasure to assist with that shoot. It gave me a great perspective on how much passion, dedication, patience, and professionalism it requires to execute an event like this. I'd be happy to help do it again in a heartbeat, besides I get to provide assistance by following my motto, "I may not be smart, but I can lift heavy things."

Mike

Mike Hess rocks like a HURRICANE.

I just wanted to say it outloud.

- TB

Mike Hess rocks like a HURRICANE.

I just wanted to say it outloud.

- TB

ROFLMAO, many thanks, Big Bro!!