sidewaysgaze

VOTE ONLINE FOR TOM for SPIKE TV SCREAM 2008!!

Yeah, what a bummer! :(

The Dark Knight and Sweeny Todd bulldozed the categories and won everything. I guess that's what happens when it's a "popularity contest"! <_<

Here's a cool link to a LiveJournal.com blogger who posted about everyone who won, and pix from Getty from the event, if you want to check it all out anyway. Hmmm, I wonder if Ron Perlman gave a shout out to "Mutant Chronicles" when he was at the podium... :P :

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/28953624.html

Jen

I'm willing to bet Jane completely concurs with The Dark Knight taking all the prizes.

Its the best movie so far this year and probably the best comic book movie ever made.

Its a revolutionary movie for the genre and a revival piece for crime dramas.

Just because The Mist got passed over, doesn't validate negative and pointless criticism towards a potential Best Picture Academy Award Nominee.

-TL

I don't care.

I still don't think The Dark Knight is a great film, or that Heath Ledger was some god amongst men in regards to acting.

Apparently so.

The Dark Knight is a good movie, you shave off about 30 minutes, cut out some of the retarded shit and have Nolan either learn to shoot a fight scene or have someone else do it.

Ledger was a good actor just hitting stride, then I he fucked up and died. End of story.

How does that correlate to anything I said?

Ledger was a good actor, but just because I'm not putting him on some fucking pedestal and fellating his corpse, all of a sudden I think that all actors are shitty?

No, you didn't say he was a terrible actor.

But you also didn't say he was a great one.

That puts you in the greater of two evils ;)

Just please don't go on a rant if Heath wins the Oscar in February.

-TL

Just please don't go on a rant if Heath wins the Oscar in February.

-TL

And don't you go on a rant when he doesn't win.

There is NO WAY IN HELL The Dark Knight or Heath Ledger are going to win anything at the Oscars in February. Period. It's a comic book/action movie and the AMPAS rarely, if ever, recognizes those types of genre movies as Oscar-worthy, no matter how good they may be, or how many billions of dollars they make, or how many rabid fans they have. That is why there are things like the SCREAM Awards, because those movies would get no recogntion otherwise.

I'll even be surprised if TDK or Ledger even get nominated. You're dreamin', Logan.

p.s. I agree with those who think that the movie is TOTALLY overrated, as is Ledger's performance. I'm sorry, but it just ain't all that. That's JMO.

Mediumfan,

You are part of a select few that lacks the power to recognize great films and legendary actors.

This February, you will see how Ledger's performance WAS "all that".

At least to the eyes of those that have common sense.

-TL

I'm not here to be a prick or anything, but I agree with Mr. Logan with TDK being the best this year.

I won't go into detail, since everyone has seen it. But it's executed perfectly and reminds me of something Michael Mann would have made. It's all these things melting together, the acting, cinematography, editing and the haunting music/sound effects, making it a high quality movie. I'm convinced that this movie will kill at the Oscars as well, because this one has "ingredients" that such a committee looks for. Also, it helps having $180 million and full(?) artistic freedom. I could care less if TDK wins anything at all though, because that's a big behemoth of a movie in any way you look at it, maybe not the best, but certainly among the top 100 of all time.

Also, regarding Spike Awards. I think 'The Orphanage' should have won something as well, but since it's a popularity contest (as someone mentioned before me) it's a given that TDK "clears the table" at such an internet poll award show.

Nolan need to get that Tom Jane a gig or something... That would have made a helluva movie! :)

I tried clicking on that list of Scream winners posted earlier and I guess the site is having difficulty loading, so I found this listing:

By Peter Sciretta, /film

SpikeTV won’t air the Scream 2008 Awards until Tuesday night (at 9:00pm et/pt), but the award show has already been filmed. We have a listing of the complete winners for those who are interested. I’ve organized the results into Dark Knight Award winners and Non Dark Knight Award Winners… you’ll see why.

Dark Knight Award Winners

The Ultimate Scream Movie: The Dark Knight

Best Comic Book Movie: The Dark Knight

Best Sequel: The Dark Knight

Best Superhero: Christian Bale as Batman in The Dark Knight

Best Villain: Heath Ledger as The Joker in The Dark Knight

Best Actor in a Fantasy Movie or TV Show: Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight

Best Supporting Performance: Gary Oldman in The Dark Knight

The Holy Shit! Scene of the Year: The Big Rig Flips Over in The Dark Knight

Best Director: Christopher Nolan, The Dark Knight

Best Screamplay: The Dark Knight by Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan and David Goyer

Best F/X: The Dark Knight

Best Line: “I believe whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stranger” by The Joker in The Dark Knight

Non Dark Knight Award Winners

Best Science Fiction Movie: Iron Man

Best Actor in a Science Fiction Movie or TV Show: Robert Downey Jr. in Iron Man

Best Fantasy Movie: Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Best Horror Movie: Sweeney Todd

Best Remake: Halloween

Best Screen to Comic Adaptation: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season Eight

Best Actor in a Horror Movie or TV Show: Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd

Best Actress in a Fantasy Movie or TV Show: Angelina Jolie in Wanted

Best Actress in a Horror Movie or TV Show: Liv Tyler in The Strangers

Best Actress in a Science Fiction Movie or TV Show: Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil: Extinction

Breakout Performance: WALL-E in Wall-E

Most Memorable Mutilation: Bitten by Vagina with Teeth in Teeth

Best TV Show: Dexter

Best Comic Book: Y: The Last Man

Best Comic Book Artist: Gabriel Ba, The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite

Best Comic Book Writer: Grant Morrison, Batman, Final Crisis

Most Shocking Comic Book Twist: The X-Men Disband After Professor X is Shot in the Head by Bishop

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/10/20/2008-s...-award-winners/

Breakout Performance: WALL-E in Wall-E

I never did quite get that nomination. How can a character from someone's imagination have a breakout performance?

Mediumfan,

You are part of a select few that lacks the power to recognize great films and legendary actors.

This February, you will see how Ledger's performance WAS "all that".

At least to the eyes of those that have common sense.

-TL

Just because I don't happen to agree that The Dark Knight was a great movie, or that Heath Ledger's performance was Oscar-worthy, does not mean that I don't have the ability to recognize great films or legendary actors. My tastes may run different to yours, but I still know an Oscar caliber movie and performance when I see them, and this movie provided neither of those. Do not insult my intelligence by insinuating that this movie ranks with the greatest movies ever made. I've said before that I thought Heath Ledger was a very good actor, but this performance in this movie is not indicative of his best work. Please go jump on your soapbox somewhere else. Just because you think the movie is "all that" doesn't mean that it is, or that anyone who doesn't share your view is an idiot. There is no reason to insult someone else just because their opinions are contrary to yours.

I'm just glad that the AMPAS is made up of people who are able to fairly judge a movie and a performance with an unbiased eye, or else we'd have God only knows what winning Oscars in February. Movies should be judged on all of their merits, not just one performer. And in the annals of Oscar filmdom, I challenge you to show me another comic book movie that has been nominated for, or won, an Oscar. The Academy simply does not recognize them as cinematic achievements to compare to the likes of West Side Story, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Titanic, The Departed, No Country for Old Men, and so on. If the awards were based on a movie making a gazillion dollars, then The Dark Knight would have it sewn up. But it isn't, and they do not. Give it up.

When The Dark Knight CONSUMES the Oscars this February, what will you say then?

Suggestion: "You were right Thomas. I underestimated the picture because it was technically a "comic book movie". I should have recognized the crime film elements it shared with HEAT and The French Connection along with Heath Ledger's critically acclaimed performance, but chose not to for some unknown reason."

4 months to think of something else to say ;)

-TL

don't forget, Heath has got the dead actor card, and i think that may be enough to push him over the top. i thought he was great in the film, a timeless perf. one can imagine that kind of character anarchy as far back as the Greek stage. as far as i know he's only the second actor to be nominated in a comic book movie. anybody know who was first?

as far as i know he's only the second actor to be nominated in a comic book movie. anybody know who was first?

Would that person be William Hurt for A History of Violence?