relias33

Mr. Struzan retires

According to a website I regularly keep up with, artist Drew Struzan is retiring. One of the greatest artists in the fucking universe!

http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_mi...eous.php?id=908

Check it out.

Poster_Indy_CrystalSkull02.jpg

Struzan-hellboy-med.jpg

big_trouble_in_little_china.jpg

gm0807021656092451.jpg

Star_Wars_Trilogy_850.jpg

THE MAN....nuff said

-Raffi

It's heartbreaking. Hopefully he'll still do the occasional job for Darabont or del Toro.

Guest AdminGuyX

That's probably why he's decided to retire. The occasional job.

Good for him though, that he's happy and content with his lifes work. That HAS to be a wonderful feeling.

You could always tell a Struzan poster apart in a theater lobby. Maybe some other painter who previously didn't have a shot doing this will take his place. Maybe we'll meet a new iconic movie poster artists soon.

Still, I expect photoshopped giant heads and boring photos will grace our theater lobbies.

I cast my vote for a certain cover artist known fairly well around these parts.

Totally agree with you there, only it seems Tim is always busy. I could never figure out why Hollywood was not knocking down his door to do poster art. The Dark Country teaser he did was amazing, same with Devil's Commandos and the mock-up for Amature Kind. I'd love to see more Bradstreet film posters out there.

Totally agree with you there, only it seems Tim is always busy. I could never figure out why Hollywood was not knocking down his door to do poster art. The Dark Country teaser he did was amazing, same with Devil's Commandos and the mock-up for Amature Kind. I'd love to see more Bradstreet film posters out there.

Yeah that Bradstreet guy is pretty damn cool. I wonder what he has up his sleeve...

I wonder...

Could it be...

Nah, you'll have to wait...

Soon, soon.

(Sorry Tim couldn't resist).

Andrew

haha

Yeah that Bradstreet guy is pretty damn cool. I wonder what he has up his sleeve...

I wonder...

Could it be...

Nah, you'll have to wait...

Soon, soon.

(Sorry Tim couldn't resist).

Andrew

haha

Damn-it you two :angry:

Just kidding. Can't wait to see what you have in store, but I guess I have no choice ;)

Damn-it you two :angry:

Just kidding. Can't wait to see what you have in store, but I guess I have no choice ;)

Am dying to tell you guys but everything is under tight lock and key. You know you tell one person, they tell another person, and pretty soon google indexes you.

Be patient.

Andrew

I'm the proud owner of a The Empire Strike Back cinema poster. Its been happily stuck up on my bedroom wall for about 13 years. He always had the ability to capture the spirit of a film with his posters, and on top of that they're just great pieces of art. I really lament the quality of a lot of film posters today. Most of them are just photoshop hack jobs with little to no passion or imagination put into them.

Drew's work is truely to be admired.

As an illustrator, I was greatly inspired by him.

He fascinates me.

Was going to mention that he announced this a few years back, then saw the first post was from a few years back.

I think every fan of film posters tried their hand at his style at some point.

I hope his retirement is going as well if not better than he hoped.

~Richard

I was at Barnes & Noble picking up a copy of The Night of the Hunter Criterion DVD, and I came across the Art of Drew Struzan book. Reading through it, especially regarding his last few posters was sort of depressing, putting all that work into some really great pieces only to have the studio not use them because they look too much like "art".

It's a funny thing this art business . . .

I got to know Drew about 8 years ago through our mutual friend, Frank Darabont.

Drew is a wonderful guy, all about the art, the technique, and he has a serious eye for quality in terms of reproduction with his books.

Sadly, that is a difficult thing to control. Printers. You just never know what you're gonna get, even if your sitting on the press overseeing the first printing.

Honestly, I've been loving Drew's work for 30 years but I'm here to tell you that seeing his paintings standing in front of you, all the lush color and raised gesso, the true original . . . Well, there is NO substitute.

I know it's probably hard to imagine but Drew, yes Drew Struzan, the King of the Hill in this business is no stranger to being fucked by clients.

Hell, read his new book! . . . Which by the way is co-authored by another long-time pal, David J. Schow -

You'll love Darabont's forward - He goes OFF on the lack of creativity in today's Hollywood marketing.

I've heard that rant straight from Frank's lips many times but it's great to see it unfold as a preface to Drew's new book ;)

Drew got out of the Hollywood Marketing game because frankly it was just a hair-pulling and very stressful experience for a LONG time.

Even with champions such as Lucas, Spielberg, del Toro, and the aforementioned Mr. Darabont protecting their asset it was a grueling process.

Just like Mike V says above - All that art that gets created and NEVER sees the lobby of a movie theater. For a guy like Drew it's just heartbreaking.

Hell, for any of us it would be.

It's a Catch 22 because if you're not working for the film industry then you lose that massively high exposure to your work - All the high profile gigs that legions of fans fall in love with.

Now that he's out of that game (though he still does stuff for specific private clients) he cannot enjoy that exposure anymore. Though he knew what he was giving up.

So yeah, his new art book is out and it's sold very well but not nearly so well as it should, because the truth is, publishers just cannot give this type of thing the exposure it needs to have, costs too much.

Subsequently, Drew has seen almost no return on this effort. It's an old story. I have seen not dollar one for Archetype since it hit the market in 2009, except for what I've sold myself.

What should be bringing in a decent revenue does anything but. How? I wish I had the answer. In my case the publisher got fucked by the rest of his line of books which didn't sell and to stay afloat he had to use revenue from my book to offset his losses. Long story. I don't hate the guy. He's a good dude and not out to fuck me. He just got into a situation where there was no other alternative. Not sure what the case is in Drew's situation but I can guess.

It's really kind of hard to believe that if you put out a delicious volume of collected art like The Art Of Drew Struzan, that the artist themselves would not reap much of the benefit.

Sadly that's just the state of the publishing world. At least that's the answer I'm getting.

I'm trying to get Drew involved in a self publishing project and hopefully we can report good news on that front very soon.

So Drew is hard at work doing private commissions and putting energy into his own personal artwork.

I've seen a few things he's turned out in the last year and by God, it's just gorgeous and amazing.

Hopefully we'll get this self publishing thing worked out so that everyone can enjoy that stuff.

Until then I recommend you pick up the new book from Titan -

- tb

You sold me on it, 'Street, I'm ordering it as soon as I can. Not that it would've been a hard sell anyways...