Sign in to follow this  
Guest AdminGuyX

The Phaedon Warrior and some other stuff

Guest AdminGuyX

SO, laid up for the long weekend with back troubles isn't always a bad thing. I did get some drawings done this weekend.

;)

I don't draw a lot of known characters, or comic book characters. Most of the time I'm working on freelance stuff. Lots of sports themed work. Football players, etc. I do have a couple cool airsoft clients though, and I always enjoy that.

ANYWAY, I thought it might be fun (and it was) to give the convict a go. Here's my very first crack at him:

convict1.jpg

It should be noted I hate most everything I draw, and this was no exception.

I don't feel like I really captured the character. I felt the drawing was too static, and just not dynamic enough. The spider on the right looks only OK, and the Dave Kendall inspired bug on the left isn't quite there. I dig the background, but I love drawing biomechanical stuff like that. I could do it all day. :)

I told myself I'd share whatever I came up with on the boards good/bad or whatever. So here it is.

Like I said, I wanted to do something more dynamic and interesting, less static that conveyed motion, and really showed some combat. So I thought I'd take a shot at this:

convict2.jpg

I like this one a lot more. Still a study on the Phaedon Warrior, and I don't feel I've got him down just yet. Closer than #1 though. The motion is there, it's more dynamic and flowing. I'm a lot closer to where I want to be with the spiders too, and they were a lot of fun to draw. I'm very happy with the way the ax looks too. I know it's a lot different than the books, but hey, creative license. :)

Here's just a couple more images. I'll start with my favorite Mignola creation, Lobster Johnson.

lobster%20inked.jpg

This was just for kicks, and I loved doing it. I think it turned out pretty good. I'm considering turning it into a propaganda poster (also a big influence and love of mine).

OK, up next is a work in progress. Sport themed, but in a rollerball kind of way. It's a concept piece for a film. This is going to get the digital treatment soon, with a fully rendered sports arena blurring away from them, and the lightning rendered out 3 dimensionally. I'll post continued progress as it goes along.

shockball.jpg

I have a lot more concept work being done for the film too, and can hopefully share more as things keep moving forward on it.

Last for the night, a color piece done for one of my airsoft clients. Created the logo, and all the elements here. Needs some more layers to give the clothing more texture and add some patterns, but she's coming along nicely. I'm redesigning their website and it's illustration heavy, so I get to draw lots of weapons and tactical gear.

tower%20s8%20color2.jpg

I thought this might be a good place as well for any other of the RAW faithful to post any drawings they've done of the convict or deathspiders, or any other of the kind and giving characters Tom's creating for our entertainment.

;)

Thanks!

Noeland------------------

Dude! I love the second pick of the convict the most, but I love them all. What the hell ever a lobster johnson is he looks pretty cool. Specially the claw on his shirt, and I dig the aviator looking outfit you gave him.

Damn that sport looks rough! Can't wait to see the finished work though, cause your section 8 piece is kickin' some mighty ass man! Awesome stuff.

Gonna hae to pop a couple of drawings in here!

Guest FADoss

I still like Andy's work better. Something about his subject matter...the model perhaps...I don't know.

Amazing work Noeland. I'm also digging the second drawing of the convict!

Fred

So do I. :)

Wait, I take it back!

;)

Jobster Johnson is a character created by Mike Mignola. He's awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster_Johnson

I really hope we see him in HB3.

Njc--------

Thanks, now I know who and what Lobster Johnson is, but yours looks way better than Mike Mignola's...I think it's the shoulder thing, never been a fan of his limp shoulder look. Works for hellboy though, love those damn books. Cept I still havn't read any with Lobster Johnson in them... :blink:

Guest AdminGuyX

I know. Sounds all kinds of penis related dirty, doesn't it?

"I'm sorry sir, you have lobster johnson, we'll have to get you a salve for that."

Still love the character though.

:)

MERRY CHRISTMAS RAW!!!!!

x-mas-convictcolor.jpg

LOL!

AWESOME!!

Thanks Andy!!

- TB

Thanks Tim, glad you got a laugh out of it! He is a fun character to draw.

I needed to get some coloring practice. It's no fun to color something I already colored...so I drew something new! That solved that!

The new year is almost on us, so I thought I'd work with that...Then I thought, "ahhh...something TACKY, something WORLD NEWS/ENQUIRE-ISH..."

so here it is...

CON-VS-JESUS.jpg

I also thought Jesus should have one of those ginormous manga swords...but it somehow came out looking very PENIS-ish...and sorta medium sized, not ginormous at all...didn't mean for that to happen...but it works I guess...I mean, it would be just like THE WORLD NEWS to have a picture of Jesus with a medium sized penis sword in his hand...wouldn't it?

Ok, here is a little more serious take on the big guy...

convict-sitting-a-color.jpg

Even a deathspider killin' convict has got to sit and catch his breath once in awhile...

Guest AdminGuyX

Dude, those are just cool. Love 'em both.

Your digital color work gets better with every piece I see.

Thanks Noeland!

While on vacation at Camp Crystal Lake, our hero mingles with the locals...

jason-vs-convict-color.jpg

Now there's an idea, Irish! Match the big guy against the worst villains in folklore and see who'd come out on top! :D

My money's on him!

Excellent work, btw!

Now there's an idea, Irish! Match the big guy against the worst villains in folklore and see who'd come out on top! :D

My money's on him!

Excellent work, btw!

Thanks bunches M-Fan, I have a lot of fun drawing the big lug, and it gives me great practice with coloring in photoshop. I've got a few more ideas yet...

Originally I wanted this piece to be darker, I'm happy with it, but I messed with the colr settings and I think I like the feel of this one better...

jason-vs-convict-bduotone.jpg

Although it is not well known, there were successful pockets of resistance to the deathspider invasion...

tony-vs-dethspiders.jpg

wow, I've been sick as a dog for almost 3 weeks, just one damned thing after another. I hadn't picked up a pencil in all that time so I did this as a warm up piece...it was fun!

That IS fun!!! I dig it!

Thanks, I love the Scareface movie and it was fun to tie the two together.

I've been working on Blackfeather and I got stuck on a couple of panels that are just kicking my ass, so it was time to step away for a bit. I hadn't done anything fun with the big fella in awhile so here is the pencils of a piece I call...

"You never know who the fuck will show up in Cynosure"...or a shortened title "Looking for The Dancer"

I still want to color it but I had a load of fun drawing it so I wanted to put it up. Some of the minor fun details get lost because of the lo-res quality. I'll try and bring them all out with the coloring.

cynosure.jpg

Guest AdminGuyX

That's really cool Andy. She should be smoking too!! ;)

I look forward to seeing her inked and colored.