Give 'em Hell Malone

"In my mind, Hosack spits out the gag and goes tear-assing around town until he finds the bastards that tied him up to the merry-go-round, then, like a scene out of Monty Python And The The Holy Grail, he shouts obscenities at them and kicks at his attackers with venomous fury since his hands are still tied."

That's actually the set up for the sequel...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In my mind, Hosack spits out the gag and goes tear-assing around town until he finds the bastards that tied him up to the merry-go-round, then, like a scene out of Monty Python And The The Holy Grail, he shouts obscenities at them and kicks at his attackers with venomous fury since his hands are still tied."

That's actually the set up for the sequel...

"And your mother smells of elderberrys!"

As for the Thorogood - I thought it was cliched as well. But I think it's cause I'm from that time period. As the young'uns on this thread are showing - not everyone is jaded by those opening chords.

But i will say, I preferred watching the trailer with Queen's Stone Cold Crazy in the background. The Metallica version also worked.

But i will say, I preferred watching the trailer with Queen's Stone Cold Crazy in the background. The Metallica version also worked.

I mentioned earlier that I had this punk/bluegrass song by this band o'death playing, like the structure of the song synced up with the editing pretty good, it was pretty weird.

Always loved Metallica from way back, cranking Kill 'Em All after I'd get home from high school, doing questionable things my parents never knew about, and hanging out with the crew . . . But I'll go Queen on Stone Cold Crazy every time.

Speaking of one of the greatest bands EVER, how about Queen's Dragon Attack over the reel?

The Roger Taylor staccato percussion is like a battle song, Brian May's guitar is guttural, powerful crush groove.

John Deacon's bass-line is punch-pace delicious, and Freddie can sound great over any era/genre.

I think this lyric is especially applicable -

Take me to the room where the red's all red

Take me out of my head-'s what I said yeah

Hey take me to the room where the green's all green

And from what I've seen it's hot it's mean

-She don't take no prisoners

-Gonna give me the business

-Got a dragon on my back

-It's a dragon attack

I'm sure we could all come up with thousands of such suggestions ;)

Mike- Is "This Band Of Death" the name of the band?

- TB

Mike- Is "This Band Of Death" the name of the band?

- TB

No, it's just o'death, like the old folk song. Here's an mp3 of the song Low Tide I that I had playing,

It was kinda just coincidence how it all qued up, the guy comes flying out the wind with the lyric "Were headed down, some sacred place" it seemed to fit so well.

They are a really great band, I got to see them live last Thursday. And while talking to them after the show I found out they are fans Frank Henenlotter's Basket Case, which automatically makes them good people in my book.

No, it's just o'death, like the old folk song. Here's an mp3 of the song Low Tide I that I had playing,
It was kinda just coincidence how it all qued up, the guy comes flying out the wind with the lyric "Were headed down, some sacred place" it seemed to fit so well.

They are a really great band, I got to see them live last Thursday. And while talking to them after the show I found out they are fans Frank Henenlotter's Basket Case, which automatically makes them good people in my book.

'Oh God my hate could fill the air' - it all makes sense now!

I think I just found my new obsession. Mike, I can't thank you enough for turning me onto these guys. I love the garage sound with the fiddle. Punkgrass has been a long time coming. As a college kid in the mid-80's I'd always wear combat boots, tie-dyes, ankle bells and my trusty black bomber jacket. I'd get weird looks when I went to Dead shows, bluegrass jams and DC punk shows. There were only a few of us who crossed the sub-cultures (then some started imitating it and it looked like grunge - yuck!).

So now I have to check out Basket Case - whoopee I've got some new music to explore!!!!!

Speaking of one of the greatest bands EVER, how about Queen's Dragon Attack over the reel?

- TB

Oooo - that works too! It's a mellow counterpoint to the crazy action. And the drum roll is extra sweet.

I've been a Queen fan for forever too, even when it wasn't cool. It was painful working at a record store (Kemp Mill in College Park MD) during the years they were fighting with their label. You couldn't get ANYTHING of theirs. So we were stuck with our scratched up vinyl from Jr. High.

Yes, we could play this game forever!

But please, no GT in the final reel - it has a Cheez-Whiz bouquet without the oaky finish. Also, one can't choose the funky/blues of early 70's Stax 'cause then it becomes Tarantino-ish.

'Oh God my hate could fill the air' - it all makes sense now!

I think I just found my new obsession. Mike, I can't thank you enough for turning me onto these guys. I love the garage sound with the fiddle. Punkgrass has been a long time coming. As a college kid in the mid-80's I'd always wear combat boots, tie-dyes, ankle bells and my trusty black bomber jacket. I'd get weird looks when I went to Dead shows, bluegrass jams and DC punk shows. There were only a few of us who crossed the sub-cultures (then some started imitating it and it looked like grunge - yuck!).

So now I have to check out Basket Case - whoopee I've got some new music to explore!!!!!

Yeah, they put on a good live show. The drummer has a rusted out gas can in place of a high hat and a tambourine duct taped to his boot, not to mention he'll whip out some chains and and start whacking them drums.

A big WELCOME to our newest member, Mr. Con Schell, stunt man extraordinaire, who stunt doubled Tom on Dark Country and Give 'Em Hell Malone.

When you see Tom jump onto that building, that's Con's life at risk. Well, normally his life would be at risk but with great stunt performers comes great safety, and Con's a pro through and through. However, that doesn't mean he doesn't bark the occasional shin or tear the occasional rotator cuff or worse, in the line of duty.

Also, for any of you who care, Con was gracious enough to lend me his talents as a model for my current book illustration gig, The Desert Adventures Of Robert E. Howard.

He portrays pulp adventure Icon's Kirby O'Donnell and Steve Clarney. He also helped out a ton with hooking me up with some stables where I was able to rent horses for the first leg of our shoot. And did I mention our own Thomas Jane will portray El Borak?

Sorry to steal the thread for a moment. If you are interested in learning more about this project check this thread ---> Robert E. Howard's - Desert Adventures, Featuring El Borak, and Kirby O'Donnell

- TB

That sizzle has started making the rounds on a few movie website, and so far the consensus on it is it looks awesome.

This is good -- we've got to get this thing a theatrical release -- The more buzz the better!

I have a thinly veiled man-crush on Frank Darabont -- He's right up there with the Coen Bros as my favorite writer / director -- The fact that he liked the trailer for something I wrote... even watched the trailer... is very, very, very surreal to me........

BTW: Tim - Thanks for the cool "Malone" insignia by name. Makes me look like I had something to do with this thing...!

Mark

I was finally able to see the unofficial sizzle reel online and, wowza!, it packs more than one punch! :D It's looking and feeling really good (or bad, depending if you're on the receiving end of those bullets, etc...).

I love seeing Tom in this type of role, but I thought it was amusing that, when they listed who was in it, for Ving Rhames they had a big old van plowing down the street and no image of Ving himsef. :lol: Where's Ving? I want to see him too!

Jen

I was finally able to see the unofficial sizzle reel online and, wowza!, it packs more than one punch! :D It's looking and feeling really good (or bad, depending if you're on the receiving end of those bullets, etc...).

I love seeing Tom in this type of role, but I thought it was amusing that, when they listed who was in it, for Ving Rhames they had a big old van plowing down the street and no image of Ving himsef. :lol: Where's Ving? I want to see him too!

Jen

I don't think they shot the Ving stuff when this was put together, but I felt the same way, I want to see VING!

I don't think they shot the Ving stuff when this was put together, but I felt the same way, I want to see VING!

I got the image a bit wrong for Ving's bit in the teaser. His name pops up when a big old (but cool-looking) *car* is plowing around a corner, then the van comes in the picture... :lol:

I'm loving that preview and how the images are timed to the music, and that it's not all way-too-fast-edited-action mayhem, but has a cool swing to it... (well, I mean, there's a ton o' mayhem, but it's parceled out at a good pace in the teaser)

Jen

Hopefully we'll hear from Tom soon, I'd love for him to share more of the experience of shooting this film with you all.

Yeah, Ving only worked on the film the last few weeks and the footage used in the buzz reel was culled together prior to his availability.

I though the car was an ample stand-in ;)

I was talking with Con Schell the other night and he said he had a grand 'ol time driving that thing.

Said he taught Tom how to do some tricks in it so I think maybe Tom did some serious driving stuff in this too.

Or maybe they were just goofing off. Tom will have to let us know for sure.

@ Hosack - Yeah man, I know what you mean about the Darabont thing.

He really did love the reel. Hopefully you can swing down to Comicon next year, perhaps Hannibal or some other studio will want to do a comic book adaptation of Malone that Tom and I can publish. I'll do the cover! Anyway, if you can get down to the show I'll make you my date for the Annual Darabont dinner. Then you can share your thoughts with him in person ;) Or better yet, at Tom's next Birthday party.

We should do some serious checking about rights to Malone. Tom mentioned doing a comic series based on the character. That would be fucking phenomenal.

You and Tom could write it. I'll find the perfect artist and I'll do the covers meself. I have some pals who can give you some pointers in terms of writing script for comics.

It's a little different from screenwriting but it's easy to wrap your mind around. Todd Farmer may be a big help. We should seriously talk about this.

And now, some more eye candy from Give 'Em Hell Malone. Hopefully we'll have some images of Ving to show you all soon.

Malone unleashes the Mateba Autorevolver at the Amusement Park Locale.

MaloneGuntb.jpg

More masterful melee from the Otis Hotel interior.

018tb.jpg

More soon.

- TB

Count me in for the comic. Tom had some great ideas that we talked about briefly before the shoot -- If you couldn't tell from reading the script, I grew up on Batman and Dr. Strange.

And I would love to be your date--! Going to the Darabont dinner would be awesome. Just don't tell my wife, or if you do, hook her up with someone too.

Mark

Posted by Rob Hunter

Thomas Jane deserves more respect. He’s always a fun and interesting actor to watch. He’s charming and funny in person, and he always has a slightly dangerous glint in his eyes, no matter the role. He’s played both the bad guy in Under Suspicion and the hero in Deep Blue Sea, he’s double-dipped into Stephen King with the crappy Dreamcatcher and excellent The Mist, he made a valiant attempt at comedy in the atrocious Sweetest Thing, and will soon present his directorial debut (I’m not counting Johnni Nitro since no one has ever seen the damn thing…) with the balls to the wall, 3-D horror film, The Dark Country. And yet he still manages to find his way into movies that never quite make it to theaters… The Mutant Chronicles… Killshot…

Continue reading:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/thom...hell-malone.php

Rob's a sweetheart.

That's some nice coverage.

I just dropped him a line though to let him know that the trailer in question is more of a sizzle reel in the form of a trailer..

Rob says -

But also from the looks of the trailer I’d guess the movie probably won’t be screening in a theater near you anytime soon. It looks like a potentially awesome piece of 70’s style action, but it also looks to be lacking a bit of polish (and the budget to support a worthwhile marketing campaign.)

Which is a fair assumption. Obviously we're already aware that there has been no polish applied yet, that this is pretty much just raw footage from the first 2 weeks of shooting cut together over the course of a few days. Given that, it's awfully impressive.

And he's right about the budget/worthwhile marketing campaign, at least as it is now.

Hannibal is looking to sell Malone (hopefully at Cannes), and it's ripe for acquisition.

The real marketing campaign would come from the buyer.

Malone is only a week into post so it'll be a little while before anything truly gets rolling.

Still, Hannibal plans to hawk it pretty heavily and to my knowledge there will be a nice round of new poster images on the horizon from their end.

- TB

looking for more cool pics to push on ya. Russel the DP and I just shot the last scene of the film in downtown LA ourselves, no crew, no trailer, no permits, nothing. just a camera a director and a guy in a bad suit. it was AWESOME. i want to shoot a whole film like that. people often comment about something looking 'unpolished' or cheap. i think we've all been spoiled and pussified by expensive studio fodder.

someday someone will make a dirty, gritty film for 2.50 and knock peoples socks off. intensity. realism. creative drive. these are what movies with balls are made of. it's good we're all being lulled to sleep by slick Hollywood fakery and B.S. posturing. me, i'm ready for a damn rude awakening.

The wake-up call is long overdue; I am looking forward to it. Something needs to be done to make peeps leave their home entertainment system and GO OUT to the theaters to be rocked. Just bring it.

looking for more cool pics to push on ya. Russel the DP and I just shot the last scene of the film in downtown LA ourselves, no crew, no trailer, no permits, nothing. just a camera a director and a guy in a bad suit. it was AWESOME. i want to shoot a whole film like that. people often comment about something looking 'unpolished' or cheap. i think we've all been spoiled and pussified by expensive studio fodder.

someday someone will make a dirty, gritty film for 2.50 and knock peoples socks off. intensity. realism. creative drive. these are what movies with balls are made of. it's good we're all being lulled to sleep by slick Hollywood fakery and B.S. posturing. me, i'm ready for a damn rude awakening.

Well said.

Personally I love the way the film looks as is.

A lot of the interior stuff already has a great color pallette reminiscent of 70's films like The Seven Ups.

I think the only polish it needs is synching things up color-wise from scene to scene, maybe punch up some blacks too.

But yeah, I agree that the rougher look is perfect for a film like this. It feels street dirty and genuine.

The hall of mirrors stuff looks amazing.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

HA! That's cool man. Love that.

It's the way I've made all my films. ;) It ain't for everybody, that's for sure. It does take balls.

The last one I shot here in Atlanta had no crew at all (Fred can attest). I ran my own camera (which I prefer to do anyway) and setup my own lights, and my buddy Ryan ran a second camera, and that was pretty much our crew.

Mind you, we didn't do it that way by choice. B)

But with the HD video equipment getting more and more affordable, we'll see that $2.50 flick soon enough.

Well said.

Personally I love the way the film looks as is.

A lot of the interior stuff already has a great color pallette reminiscent of 70's films like The Seven Ups.

I think the only polish it needs is synching things up color-wise from scene to scene, maybe punch up some blacks too.

But yeah, I agree that the rougher look is perfect for a film like this. It feels street dirty and genuine.

The Seven Ups! Perfect comparison Tim (of course).

I love the stills, and I LOVE the teaser, and I have no doubt this is going to be one of the flicks I watch over and over again.

I'd love to read the script too (after I see the flick) if anyone is able to pass it along.

:)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.