kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

So with each new region's dvd sleeve shown, I can't help but wonder why the hell the American release looks so shitty. I mean good god, it ain't rocket science, a cool cover can net potential sales! Oy.

GEHM review; 3 stars; beware of plot spoilers:

"Thomas Jane is charismatic and plays the darkly comedic side of the film rather well, the background that’s sketched in for Malone and his world is easily accessible and hangs together convincingly..."

http://www.popsyndicate.com/site/story/give_em_hell_malone/

Jen

Finally! I bought this at Hastings last week and watched it this passed Saturday. I had a feeling Hastings might have it, since it's the best store in the world.

My thoughts of Give 'Em Hell Malone?

Love it! Love it! Love it!

I really enjoyed this movie. It has perfect lighting, great music, fantastic editing, and so on. The writing is clever. I love all of the characters. Malone is great with comedic humor and even better with a gun. I love his relationship with his mother. It's so nice of her to remove his bullets for him. How sweet. Even though, it sounded like it really hurt.

I even loved the villians. Sure, I was cheering for Malone to kill everyone who got in his way, but I felt sorry for the Boulder. I didn't want Witmore to rule over his life.

After Malone, my favorite character is Matchstick. Now, there's a character! He's crazy. Don't get me wrong. But I love him! Doug Hutchison just became one of my favorite actors. I really never payed much attention to him before. (Coincidentally, I bought another movie of his, Moola, the same day without even knowing it) And even though he mainly plays villians, he is somehow able to portray a whole bunch of different characters. Sadly, not too many actors do that. Hutchison is a pure genius, and I can't picture anyone else playing Matchstick.

This movie has so many catchphrases! So many great lines that I will forever quote.

In so many movies, the hero always meets up with the bad guy and doesn't shoot him. I love how Malone had a reason to not shoot the Boulder. He ran out of bullets. That works for me. That's a pretty great excuse.

I was surprised about how the "meaning of love" turned out. I thought the elephant belonged to his late wife. Boy was I wrong!

And the quarters in the phone booth? Perfect. In other movies, he would've got the phone number correct by the third time. But not this one! This movie is different. It's special. And Malone is prepared to try as many numbers as possible, then hang up the phone.

To be continued?

As much as I would love to see a sequel, I very much want to see a prequel even more. I would love to get the backstory on all of those characters who were introduced to us. Pencil Stache? Would love to see more of him. Frankie the Crooner? (Okay, I like French Stewart, but he had to go. His singing was awful.) Witmore? He's a funny bad guy. Murphy? He died too soon. Sammy? (Nice cameo, Mark)

Then there's Matchstick. He just deserves his own movie. Simple as that. It could be titled Light 'Em Up Matchstick . That works, right? I love his look, his mannerisms, his voice (thanks to prosthetics, which were top notch). He kind of reminds me of Heath Ledger's Joker. I was waiting for him to ask "You wanna know how I got these scars?". I love Doug Hutchison. I want Hutchison. If anyone here could get me through to him, that would be great. I'm not even joking. I want to work with him so bad. He's amazing!

I love Give 'Em Hell Malone. I wish I could've seen it on the big screen, but I'm so happy I finally own it. Feels like a victory.

You know what felt like a victory to me? When I finally got a hold of a dvd copy of Thursday. It took me like 6 years to find that movie on dvd. And even though it has "some" german subtitles I was still happy as hell to have it!! :D

You know what felt like a victory to me? When I finally got a hold of a dvd copy of Thursday. It took me like 6 years to find that movie on dvd. And even though it has "some" german subtitles I was still happy as hell to have it!! :D

It's the little things in life that count, right? :)

That's so great that you both have finally gotten the chance to see the movie!! :D

It was a real blast to watch all those stand-out characters, from the not-quite-bad guys to the little guys to the way-out-there villains and of course, Malone.

Jen

That's so great that you both have finally gotten the chance to see the movie!! :D

It was a real blast to watch all those stand-out characters, from the not-quite-bad guys to the little guys to the way-out-there villains and of course, Malone.

Jen

Thanks, Jen!

It really does feel like an accomplishment for me. Took me awhile, though.

I'm always a fan of not-quite-bad guys. They make movies fun. And how can we forget Malone? Such a strong character.

Hey great to read your thoughts Indieflick! It's always great to hear back from people who really dug it. I'm glad you were able to find it (apparently, it's well-hidden) -- and Doug Hutchison's a great guy and actor -- if you haven't found it yet, his website is:

http://www.doughutchison.com/

There's a contact on it -- try it!

Also, whoever liked the film, let's start a campaign emailing Hannibal Pictures to demand that sequel promised at the end of the movie -- !!!

http://www.hannibalpictures.com/contact.php

Sheesh -- Gotta pull teeth in this town.......

Mark

Hey great to read your thoughts Indieflick! It's always great to hear back from people who really dug it. I'm glad you were able to find it (apparently, it's well-hidden) -- and Doug Hutchison's a great guy and actor -- if you haven't found it yet, his website is:

http://www.doughutchison.com/

There's a contact on it -- try it!

Also, whoever liked the film, let's start a campaign emailing Hannibal Pictures to demand that sequel promised at the end of the movie -- !!!

http://www.hannibalpictures.com/contact.php

Sheesh -- Gotta pull teeth in this town.......

Mark

Wow! You are absolutely welcome, Mark! It's not everyday I write a review of a movie, and the writer conveys his appreciation for my thoughts. So, thanks for that first experience.

I love Give 'Em Hell Malone with a passion. Everyone needs to see this film. It's brilliant! It's a piece of art! Simple as that!

I really love Doug Hutchison. I can't say it enough. (My family says I do) And I have visited his website. And I did notice it has contact info. I'm not sure who I'm contacting through his site, though. No way is it Hutchison himself, right? Or is it?

Here's what I'll do. I'll contact the person on that site and try to get in touch with Hutchison. If I can't, then I'm going to depend on you, Mark. Okay? How does that sound? You'll contact him, and ask him (nicely, of course) if you have his permission to give a new, young filmmaker his contact info. If he gives the okay, then you can send his contact info to me. That is a perfect plan. I like it, anyways.

(And it's funny you mentioned the prequel thing -- that was one of the ideas being thrown around on set).

I'm so glad; I thought I was the only one who wants one. I am behind the prequel idea 100%. There aren't too many movies that deserve prequels, but Give 'Em Hell Malone does, because there are so many amazing characters. (How on earth did you come up with them?)

And I sent a message to Hannibal Pictures, demanding a sequel for you, Mark. :) I hope it happens, buddy.

I enjoyed the flick. It's always fun to see Jane throwing Dude's out windows. I'd love to see more of these. I particularly enjoyed the stuff shot on location. Was this Russel Mulcahey? I saw the film when it first came out but haven't seen it since.

Mulcahey seems to thrive on location.

I also love the interview Tom did for the special features. Cracked me up.

You know, I'm not too keen on the idea of prequel. I like keeping Malone as mythic figure in the criminal underworld, and not really knowing how he go to where he was.

Mark, want me to twist Hannible's arm for the comic rights too ;)

Just give me the word, and it'll be like Shawshank, one e-mail a week until they give in.

Sorry for the late response, been out of town --

IndieChick -- Everyone creative who works on a film LOVES to hear from those who enjoyed their work -- whether they admit it or not. That's why we do it. For people to watch and talk about. I've taken my fair share of shots too, and if you don't take the time to appreciate the people who dig your work there's no point in doing it.

Doug Hutchison actually teaches an acting class in LA -- I don't know if you're local or not, but if you are, check it out here:

www.darkwaterinc.com

Then go to: "The Art of Stillness." The next time I correspond with him I will ask for the best way to get in touch with him, but I would definitely pop off emails to his websites -- www.darkwaterinc.com or www.doughutchison.com -- they'll know better than me, and yes, you never know who's checking the emails -- But -- if you can get out to LA you can learn from him directly which would be very cool.

Hey Esco -- Good to hear from you. In a preproduction meeting that was actually one of our questions: "Do we have enough money for Malone to throw someone through a window?" so there you go. Yeah, Russell directed, and yes, 95% was on location -- the only green screen / composite was the interior driving stuff / Carnival Penis Chomp and ... I think that's it.

John -- Shawshank their butts.

All I can say is the sequel is killer. If Hannibal doesn't pull the trigger I'm going to write it and call it MAKE 'EM BLEED, MALONESY.

But we'll see -- the film's just now opening in the UK and Aust and such, so we'll see where their heads are soon.

BTW: Interview with Russell here:

http://www.moviemuser.co.uk/Features/3879/...-Interview.aspx

Mark

Bought it today. Great stuff. Love the characters and dialogue. The opening shootout was a remainer of why good old fashioned squibs are always the best. Tom is cool as ever. And I really loved the last scene with the payphone. It fit the character so well.

But the razor blade in the mouth. Why, Mark, why? :(

Sorry for the late response, been out of town --

IndieChick -- Everyone creative who works on a film LOVES to hear from those who enjoyed their work -- whether they admit it or not. That's why we do it. For people to watch and talk about. I've taken my fair share of shots too, and if you don't take the time to appreciate the people who dig your work there's no point in doing it.

Doug Hutchison actually teaches an acting class in LA -- I don't know if you're local or not, but if you are, check it out here:

www.darkwaterinc.com

Then go to: "The Art of Stillness." The next time I correspond with him I will ask for the best way to get in touch with him, but I would definitely pop off emails to his websites -- www.darkwaterinc.com or www.doughutchison.com -- they'll know better than me, and yes, you never know who's checking the emails -- But -- if you can get out to LA you can learn from him directly which would be very cool.

All I can say is the sequel is killer. If Hannibal doesn't pull the trigger I'm going to write it and call it MAKE 'EM BLEED, MALONESY.

Mark

I read about his acting class. I would love to take it, though I live very far from LA. Taking his class is on my to-do goal list.

I know I'm going to send his site emails. I need to prepare what I'm going to say to him. Any suggestions? Wouldn't want to make a fool of myself to such a brilliant mind. I've seriously never seen any other actor do what he does. It blows my mind.

MAKE 'EM BLEED, MALONESY. I love it!

I would gladly send Hannibal Pictures a weekly message for you.

I just unearthed this super-fun review of Give 'Em Hell Malone that I think has not been posted yet. There are several cool screencaps too that go with the review. Check out the fun 'n' mayhem here:

"...Tom Jane was born to play a role like this. He fits into that fedora and oversized dress shirt so well, you could swear he was a gritty pulp-novel cover come to life. And in the brief 96 minutes allocated, crafts a character I would easily pay good cash to see in future adventures. "

http://www.allouttabubblegum.com/main/?p=5120

Jen

I just unearthed this super-fun review of Give 'Em Hell Malone that I think has not been posted yet. There are several cool screencaps too that go with the review. Check out the fun 'n' mayhem here:

"...Tom Jane was born to play a role like this. He fits into that fedora and oversized dress shirt so well, you could swear he was a gritty pulp-novel cover come to life. And in the brief 96 minutes allocated, crafts a character I would easily pay good cash to see in future adventures. "

http://www.allouttabubblegum.com/main/?p=5120

Jen

This is a REALLY good review Jen! Especially like the quote that you put up...couldn't have said it better!

Padre -- sorry about the blade in the mouth thing -- makes me cringe too!

And yes, firing those emails away to Hannibal about a sequel might be a good thing -- Maybe they'll move it????

And if you didn't like it enough in English:

Malone Auf Deutsch

Mark

I enjoyed the interview with Russell, but I didn't care for the review.

He didn't like Hutchison in it? Didn't find Matchstick to be an interesting character? That's crazy talk! (Oddly enough, Hutchison is compared to Heath Ledger's Joker in both the interview and review. I didn't know other people felt that same vibe I did.)

Question-What is Give 'Em Hell Malone rated? I always thought it was rated R, but my DVD says it's Not Rated. I'm a little confused.