kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

So I was pleasantly surprised. Went shopping with the wife on Saturday and as usual she wanted to go to the world's best seller of cheap chinese sweat shop clothing. Walmart. (Which I try my best to avoid like the plague.) Was surprised to find that it had 2 copies of GEHM in it's new release rack (DVD version). Future Shop, Best Buy didn't have any, but all the rental places did.

Now my buddy knows the owners of one of the local theatres and is going to talk to him to see when we can arrange a proper viewing across the 40' screen. Sucks that they never made any film version, but we'll have to make due with Blu-Ray.

Heres the UK cover art, i prefer the german one but at least its better then the US cover.

12505479x.jpg

So finally got to see the movie. I must say I did love the "pulled the hearts out of their chests" as well as the continuing themes throughout the movie.

Kudos to all for doing so much with so little.

I finally saw it, and I liked it quite a lot. Though it could have used another action set piece like the opening in the middle section, but as it is, it's a pretty damn enjoyable film. I also gotta say I loved the end Matchstick make-up, that was nice and gruesome.

Glad you guys watched and enjoyed! Good to hear.

Mike, I got to eat lunch across from Doug Hutchinson when he was in full make-up. I've got a hilarious photo. Will try to find it.

Mark

Glad you guys watched and enjoyed! Good to hear.

Mike, I got to eat lunch across from Doug Hutchinson when he was in full make-up. I've got a hilarious photo. Will try to find it.

Mark

I would love to see that picture. Do you know if Doug fucked with strangers while in it like Bill Paxton did on Near Dark?

I finally saw the movie too, and wow, great "blow 'em away" intro scene, nicely directed overall (not going crazy with unusual shots or editing, but still having pizazz), love the zippy one-liners, especially coming from such a bevy of messed up characters!! :lol:

Tom and Ving were both great, injecting a world-weary seriousness to their roles that made their characters more multi-faceted. Doug was freaky-scary. Not a fan of the whole fire thing, but it was very effective. Loved Eileen's role, again, funny but with heart. Loved the repartee between Tom and Elsa. French was fun-ee. I don't know, I just cracked up when he's trying to be all "Mr. suave crooner", especially at the retirement home.

And I'm so glad that in the end the story did make sense! :lol: I was worried for a bit about the "meaning of love" topic and the suitcase, but it all fit together nicely.

Jen

Okay, I finally got to see this, and I have to say it was fun to watch. I loved the opening sequence (although the blood spurting from the various wounds was a bit overdone for my taste). The shootout was fun and Malone's opening line was perfect. Set the tone for the whole movie. The vast array of characters was fun and kept it interesting, although a couple of them were a bit broadly drawn and somewhat cliched. Loved the characters of Boulder and Frankie the Crooner. Well-cast and well-played. And Malone's mother steals the movie. What a hoot!

I was beginning to worry about the whole "what's the meaning of love" bit and how it connected to the plot, but it all played out nicely in the end. Overall, a fun movie to watch and an entertaining ride. Has a nice noir feel with some great oneliners. The out-of-time feel with Malone's car and some of the clothes and dialogue was a nice touch. Made me feel like I could have been watching The Maltese Falcon or something like that, if it had only been in black and white. ;)

Hopefully we'll get to see more of Malone and his story. Curious to see what happens after the phone call. ;)

Dammit. I thought this was coming to region 2 on March 8th, now its been moved to May 17th. I'd been keeping an eye out for it the last few days. :angry:

Dammit. I thought this was coming to region 2 on March 8th, now its been moved to May 17th. I'd been keeping an eye out for it the last few days. :angry:

I know, its really annoying. I have on pre-order from play.com and was hoping to get it this month :(

I would love to see that picture. Do you know if Doug fucked with strangers while in it like Bill Paxton did on Near Dark?

I wasn't aware that Bill Paxton fucked with strangers on ND, but I did read an old interview in Starlog or some older genre mag where Lance Henrikson talked about it.

The film was in prepro and he had gotten his nails and hair done up in character. Then he'd go out and hitchhike.

People would pick him up and he'd fuck with them. One of the things he did was ask the poor slobs if he could listen to the car radio, the driver would turn the radio on and find a decent station. Then Henrikson would get in character and say stuff like What did you do that for? Turn that shit off! Just completely mind fucking them. What a scream.

What did Paxton do? Was he part of the whole get into character thing with Lance?

- TB

PS - Apologies for the off-topic question.

Here's link to another review; not the greatest one, but still...it's a review; the movie is still being talked about, which is always a good thing:

"...Jane delivers the lines like a classic gumshoe...

http://www.popjournalism.ca/magazine/2010/...em-hell-malone/

Jen

Just came across this review online. It's a nice one!

"With a plot that's refreshingly elemental, this down-and-dirty action thriller from Russell Mulcahy ("Highlander") pummels you with gunfire, car chases and lots of bad guys being set on fire. So far, so standard-issue. But the noir-ish dialogue delivered with precision by Thomas Jane, Doug Hutchinson, Ving Rhames and Gregory Harrison as well as the anything-goes vibe makes this one feel like a giddy cross between "Watchmen" and "The Maltese Falcon.""

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/142607357

Jen

Didn't know Gregory Harrison was in this too. Should bring back good memories of Razorback.

Yeah, the cast is very "wait a minute, I've seen that performer before...". ;)

Leland Orser (I think that's the spelling) is so familiar to me, but I never knew his name and what else he was in, then I saw him in GEHM and also recently saw him in an episode of Shark...

Jen

Review of Give Em Hell Malone:

"Thomas Jane, a Baltimore-born actor...plays the titular Malone, channeling his best Humphry Bogart."

and

"Jane and Rhames both shine, delivering super-gritty, ultra-cool nonsense as easy as they’d order a pepperoni pizza."

http://cavalcadeofschlock.com/2010/03/give...ll-malone-2009/

Jen

Sorry this took so long -- I forgot who asked to see these, but here are two behind the scenes shots of Doug Hutchinson in full Matchstick make-up.

bestfriends-1sm.jpg

lunchsm.jpg

Mark

EDIT: Marky - Made these a bit smaller and switched 'em out with your'n.

Hope ye don't mind none ;)

Thanks Tim!

Doug really struck me as one of those actors that just works so damn well through make up. At the beginning he was just bloody crazy, and by the end, good god all mighty he was creepy!

I hope this things gets a sequel, whether in film, novel, or graphic novel ;)

YES! Malone is coming out in Norway!

Rental: 12.05.10

Sale: 19.05.10

1268052727.jpg