kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

I tried searching again and failed. Next stop, Amazon or eBay.

Yep, I've gotten mine from Amazon. B)

...and here's another blogger's review of GEMH; 4 and 1/2 stars out of 5:

"This movie was CRAYYY-ZEEEE… not just a little insane or out of the ordinary, but that extra touch of something special..."

http://redcapjack.blogspot.com/2010/02/hou...-malone-gi.html

and

from a "Twitterer":

"Finished Russell Mulcahy's Give 'Em Hell, Malone, which is campy, noir fun, like Sin City. Thomas Jane delivers hard boiled lines well."

http://twitter.com/whatalanwatches/statuses/8796624730

Jen

Alright guys, I'm now one of the hosts of the new german film podcast MovieFeature (www.moviefeature.de) and today we did a cool interview with Mark (thanks again!). It should be online on Thursday or Friday, we will let you know... :)

Plus, we just found out today that Splendid Entertainment will release Malone on DVD & BluRay in Germany/Austria on April 30th and they provided us with this awesome cover:

giveemhellmalonesteelv2.jpg

giveemhellmalonesteelv2.jpg

See, that's really all you need, Malone looking badass . . . Oh No! We have to have the other stars on the cover so we can reach as many people as possible!!

No goddammit, all you need is the guy with the name big in the fucking title!

The blood is fun but would never fly here in the states.

Someone just did a nice classy job of re-touching my retouch. And it looks BADASS.

It sucks in a way when the necessities of having a nice composition forces an artist to flip a shot.

Malonsey ain't left handed, but this layout works better this way.

See? I'm not THAT hard to please ;)

- TB

That's a lot better than what we got! If this has some better features, (hell, even if it doesn't) I may have to import this.

Well I've scoured most of the larger chain retailers in my area (Canadian urban population of roughly 500K). All have the movie in the records as being released today. Zero on hand, Zero waiting (aka in transit) = ZERO supply.

So Amazon.ca I go for Blueray for $22.99 Ordered the the Mist while I was there shopping online too.

No offense but the North American distributing for this movie SUCKS. Horrible distribution, Zero advertising, Phenominally poor disc box artwork.

Look at the artwork in Germany. That is fabulous and is heads and shoulders above the US version.

Yeah, I've still not found it in a retail store.

Normally, as a consumer interested in picking this up yet unwilling to shop online cause I'm stubborn, I'd skip this, even if I REALLY wanted to see it.

They can't even get the DVD into a freaking WALMART in a major city!!!! Let alone Best Buy, Fry's or Target (the places I've looked).

No way I'd shell out B&N, or Borders retail for ANYTHING unless it was a sale like someone else mentioned, even then you can get that stuff cheaper just about anywhere else.

If I didn't have MAJOR ulterior motives for grabbing this I'd give up and wait for cable.

This is just one of the many reasons people illegally download stuff . . . Hard to find.

They're missing out on a large chunk of potential purchasers by not making it widely available in a PHYSICAL store.

I'm not the only one who prefers to shop on a rack.

If it's up to retail stores to order it or not then geeeez, who's buying for these fuckers?

Wouldn't a DVD that ranked anywhere from #1 to #3 as an exclusive rental at Blockbuster seem like a good investment?

Malone sure as shit isn't the only low budget, un-marketed, DTV, new release DVD this month. Yet I see plenty of other 'new release' options that classify the same as Malone.

WTF?

I could've gone to Amazon a few weeks ago and made the purchase. It'd already be in my collection and you wouldn't be hearing me rant ;)

Like I said, I'm stubborn. And this is very disappointing.

- tb

I could've gone to Amazon a few weeks ago and made the purchase. It'd already be in my collection and you wouldn't be hearing me rant ;)

Like I said, I'm stubborn. And this is very disappointing.

- tb

I understand exactly where you're coming from, Tim. Does that mean you're not going to buy it until you actually find it in a real store?

I understand exactly where you're coming from, Tim. Does that mean you're not going to buy it until you actually find it in a real store?

I'm guessing that the retail stores are partly to blame, in effect it's the whole magilla, changing times, changing technologies, the current economic climate, the chaos in the film industry . . .

So funny, the film industry had the opportunity to sit back and watch what happened to the music industry and LEARN from it, but instead they find themselves caught in the same trap.

Only now are studios accepting the digital stream and they could have been on the cusp of it with their content.

Unfortunately for me and others like me, physical ownership is becoming a thing of the past.

You can't really blame studios for being resistant, NO ONE is good at embracing change . . . unless it's maybe NATURE ;)

Stores like Best Buy (And I live next to one of the country's top 10 worst ones) only make available stuff that has a track record of selling and it's a crap shoot when ordering new content.

Even Fry's, which has a much wider selection is subject to a similar restriction, they can't order everything with the market flooded with content each month . . each week.

I'm a sucker for packaging, which makes picking up Malone still slightly painful ;)

But yeah, I can replace with our own graphics, maybe even GERMAN graphics ;)

I've got a plan, when next I'm in LA I'll just go to Amoeba and pick it up. The one place in the entire country that is SURE to have it in stock.

Being stubborn and waiting seem to go hand in hand so I'll wait for that opportunity and then have satisfaction.

The world changes exponentially more and more everyday and we're simultaneously propelling it along at breakneck speed AND trying to hold on for dear life.

I just sometimes wish there was a fucking safety harness and a book of instructions ;)

- tb

God damned, Amazon.ca is FAST.

Placed my order Feb 8th, online at around 4:30 PM. Added in The Mist on DVD and a novel to get the free shipping. Recieved my invoice via email on Feb 9th. The Blu-Ray, DVD, and Novel all arrived Today.

Holy Geeze that was damned fast for not paying for faster service.

The Bad news? The COVER of Canada's GEHM SUCKS as much as the US one, only worse. Double the amount of writing on the back side and make 1/2 of it french.

I've got a plan, when next I'm in LA I'll just go to Amoeba and pick it up. The one place in the entire country that is SURE to have it in stock.

Being stubborn and waiting seem to go hand in hand so I'll wait for that opportunity and then have satisfaction.

- tb

You're lucky you have a dependable store like that. If I don't buy it online, then my only other option is to not get it at all. :(

Not finding Give 'Em Hell Malone reminds me of other times when getting a DVD in a store wasn't a possibilty. I had the same problem with two Criterion Collections-Bottle Rocket and The Hit. I was very excited to find out that The Hit was going to be available, again. I even marked my calendar. After it's DVD release day, I only found it at one store, Barnes and Noble. It was $40. I had it in my hand, and I had to put it down. Eventually, I bought them both at Amazon. I didn't want to, but what choice did I have? I think Amazon will have to come to my rescue once again.

Blu-Ray.com review of Give 'Em Hell Malone, with a couple of stills of Tom; gives it 3.5 out of 5:

"Thomas Jane clearly has the part down pat, the actor reveling in every cliché in the book while looking good doing it, playing not only to the script but also the costumes and style, the actor embracing and accentuating all the right mannerisms and speech patterns that truly sell the movie as a modern take on a classic genre."

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Give-em-Hell...ay-Review/7827/

Jen

I'm guessing that the retail stores are partly to blame, in effect it's the whole magilla, changing times, changing technologies, the current economic climate, the chaos in the film industry . . .

So funny, the film industry had the opportunity to sit back and watch what happened to the music industry and LEARN from it, but instead they find themselves caught in the same trap.

Only now are studios accepting the digital stream and they could have been on the cusp of it with their content.

- tb

One thing I noticed (which is why I special ordered my copy) before the release of Malone was that the store I work in gets a video purchacing magazine called Ingram. I always check them out so I know what's on the horizon, but in the months leading up to Malone, not once did I see it advertised. It struck me as odd considering the magazine features damn near every 3rd-rate D-film/DTV childrens films/foreign film out there.

I'm not sure how many other companies there are out there like Ingram, but it would be interesting to see if they featured Malone. Like Shawn, our Family Video has copies, so I'm spreading the word like Matchstick and his fire for folks in town to go see this. It'd be a damned shame for Malone not to get another go-round.

You're lucky you have a dependable store like that. If I don't buy it online, then my only other option is to not get it at all. :(

Not finding Give 'Em Hell Malone reminds me of other times when getting a DVD in a store wasn't a possibilty. I had the same problem with two Criterion Collections-Bottle Rocket and The Hit. I was very excited to find out that The Hit was going to be available, again. I even marked my calendar. After it's DVD release day, I only found it at one store, Barnes and Noble. It was $40. I had it in my hand, and I had to put it down. Eventually, I bought them both at Amazon. I didn't want to, but what choice did I have? I think Amazon will have to come to my rescue once again.

At my local Fry's they always have a copy of Bottle Rocket in their Criterion section but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I read about the release of Criterion's The Friends Of Eddie Coyle, and knew I HAD to have it.

Checked Fry's (the one place that actually stocks Criterion) and they didn't have it. Checked back a few weeks later, they still didn't have it.

But they DID have The Hit, the release of which I had not been aware of. Surprise! I bought The Hit, it made me feel marginally better about Fry's not having my Mitchum classic.

Hadn't seen The Hit since the old days of Cinemax's Vanguard Cinema. So glad I grabbed it. I remembered loving it but wow has it improved even with age.

Then I was in LA, SURE I'd find Eddie Coyle at Amoeba . . . NO! They didn't have it either! They were waiting for re-stock. Damn the timing.

Finally picked it up at Fry's about 6 weeks ago. God, the print is amazing, the sound, it's like it was shot last year. Amazing.

Give 'Em Hell Malone is waiting for the next impulse buy.

- TB

At my local Fry's they always have a copy of Bottle Rocket in their Criterion section but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

But they DID have The Hit, the release of which I had not been aware of. Surprise! I bought The Hit, it made me feel marginally better about Fry's not having my Mitchum classic.

Hadn't seen The Hit since the old days of Cinemax's Vanguard Cinema. So glad I grabbed it. I remembered loving it but wow has it improved even with age.

Give 'Em Hell Malone is waiting for the next impulse buy.

- TB

I highly recommend Bottle Rocket: Criterion Collection. Great movie! Excellent special features!

I'm so glad I got The Hit, too. Worth every penny!

As for Give 'Em Hell Malone, I don't think I'll be getting it for awhile. I just bought something on eBay, and only recently found out that the guy is a fraud. A lot of people are just now giving him negative feedback; he had a 100% positive feedback when I bought from him. I doubt I'll be getting the item I ordered, and soon I have to go through the process of getting my money back. This is the second time I've been scammed with buying online. What's worse is that the item isn't even for me. It's a gift.

I've become hesitant to order anything else, including impossible to find movies.

So, if you're feeling extra generous Tim, feel free to pick me up a copy of Give 'Em Hell Malone at Amoeba when you buy yours. ;)

I'd really appreciate it. :)

I had to order it through Amazon, cause nowhere around me was carrying it in store and it wass only 12.99 with delivery compared to the big box store online where it was closer to 20.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows what brand of shoe/boot Malone is wearing? I have an idea but don't want to influence anyones thoughts just yet.

First Post!!!

I highly recommend Bottle Rocket: Criterion Collection. Great movie! Excellent special features!

I'm so glad I got The Hit, too. Worth every penny!

As for Give 'Em Hell Malone, I don't think I'll be getting it for awhile. I just bought something on eBay, and only recently found out that the guy is a fraud. A lot of people are just now giving him negative feedback; he had a 100% positive feedback when I bought from him. I doubt I'll be getting the item I ordered, and soon I have to go through the process of getting my money back. This is the second time I've been scammed with buying online. What's worse is that the item isn't even for me. It's a gift.

I've become hesitant to order anything else, including impossible to find movies.

So, if you're feeling extra generous Tim, feel free to pick me up a copy of Give 'Em Hell Malone at Amoeba when you buy yours. ;)

I'd really appreciate it. :)

Roger that, adding one to Amoeba grab.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows what brand of shoe/boot Malone is wearing? I have an idea but don't want to influence anyones thoughts just yet.

I'll see if TJ knows. He had a lot to do with his costume so he may have a solid answer for the shoes/boots.

- TB

Roger that, adding one to Amoeba grab.

- TB

Sounds great. :D