kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

Had a ball, and yeah, it wasn't all Pancakes, and absolutely NO country music

Hey, what's wrong with COUNTRY music? That's some of the best stuff playin' out there. ;) Oh, and if you really want to have a blast, the town to go crazy on is New Orleans. Hit up Tropic Isle and The Dungeon, (yeah, it's exactly what it sounds like) in the French Quarter, then ya gotta go to the Mid-City Rock 'n Bowl (think a poor man's Lucky Strike Lanes), then for a late night snack, hit up Port of Call for the best hamburger you ever put in your mouth. Or if the sun's about to come up and you're really craving pancakes (or the best pecan pie this side of the Mississippi), then hit the Camellia Grill down in the Garden District.

That is a helluva good time.

Oh, and there's lots of theaters in NOLA too. That would be a really cool place to have a screening if you want to take it on the road.

Sorry for removing the concept/rejected poster art - I'll probably add it back at some point.

Still hoping to get to the bottom of this whole thing.

- TB

Light years beyond any studio poster. Digging the fairis wheel, car and gun, how they frame up the characters. That should have been the DVD cover instead.

Yeah, I like the expression on Jane's face in your work, as well as how it highlights the scar on his chin. That fits with my impression of the character.

On one hand, at least the studio art wasn't crappily photo-shopped floating heads, still bland as all fuck. Yours reminds me of one of the Iron Man posters.

There is some good/interesting new country out there, you have to disregard all that mainstream pop shit.

Malone looks kinda stoned on the new studio artwork ^^ And what's with the background and that title font? Oh man...

The background has nothing to do with anything, and why stick the car in there if we can't even see it?

Malone's hat is just plain wrong, it looks like it was obviously 'frankensteined' off of another shot and the angles don't match up at all.

I've got all the gallery shots from Malone and there is no shot like this that exists so it was obviously manufactured from pieces and parts.

You can see from the other designs how the hat sits on Tom's head, they have it pulled down lower and it just looks badly awkward.

You also gotta love what looks like a white racing stripe around the outer brim of the hat. WTF?

This feels very much slapped together by someone who knows their way around photoshop a bit but has only basic practical art skills.

Someone who was inexpensive is my guess. No offense to them, they were being art directed by people who are not artists and have no eye for these things.

It's just cut, pasted, retouched, and thrown together with no real sense of the mood of this film.

Damn shame.

- tb

Guest AdminGuyX

Tim, did they ever ask you to remove or change the pistol graphic? I know that having a gun in the characters hand is no big deal, but I have heard that the studios don't like having large graphics of real guns on posters and DVD art. Just wondered if that was ever a factor.

You know, this art was probably designed by someones brother, best friend, or lover. It's shit. It's the only way this kind of shit gets accepted.

I cannot express my deep hatred of this art. It makes the Dark Country DVD look like a real gem, and that's saying something.

It really chaps my ass to see this kind of work officially attached to these films.

I just want to punch someone in the fucking throat.

They did, and the man in the background standing in the snow!

Oh, wait . . .

It looks like he's taking a leak.

you know, I didn't get involved in that dvd cover contest for Dark Country because I know the level of work I would of produced would have been crap...but for fuck sake, I coulda' produced better crap than this. This is the kind of dvd cover that would make me NOT BUY THIS FUCKING MOVIE! Don't they fucking get it? What the FUCK!

That said I'll get this any way because I know of the internal content. But if I was just casually browsing through videos looking to buy something new and interesting (which I do all the TIME!) this cover would tell me the movie is a cheap piece of shit that deserves a cheap piece of shit cover ( but honestly I know it isn't!) so if they (studio fucks) don't think it is worth a decent cover why the fuck should I spend my hard earned yen on it?

you know, I didn't get involved in that dvd cover contest for Dark Country because I know the level of work I would of produced would have been crap...but for fuck sake, I coulda' produced better crap than this. This is the kind of dvd cover that would make me NOT BUY THIS FUCKING MOVIE! Don't they fucking get it? What the FUCK!

That said I'll get this any way because I know of the internal content. But if I was just casually browsing through videos looking to buy something new and interesting (which I do all the TIME!) this cover would tell me the movie is a cheap piece of shit that deserves a cheap piece of shit cover ( but honestly I know it isn't!) so if they (studio fucks) don't think it is worth a decent cover why the fuck should I spend my hard earned yen on it?

Cool, you guys are using yen now ;)

The rejected poster Tim did was actually along the lines of what I thought they would end up using. Irish is right, this cover looks like it belongs in a slim line case in the dollar bin, right next to Hercules vs the Moon Men.

That poster looks like shit. This is gonna be another one of those make-your-own-dvd-sleeve movies, ain't it? ;) I would have loved to see them use Tim's white noir poster. That one was my favorite, but once again, they've shown that idiocy rules the day at the top of the studios. I could go on, but it's all been said already. Just makes me sick though. Another damn good movie about to be thrown in the discount movie bin.

That's a cryin' damn shame. Like Irish said, that poster makes it look like a cheap-ass movie that you wouldn't pay a buck to see at the dollar matinee.

i'm hoping this is just some intermediate shit that they produced to lay claim to the film early on. apparently the deal hasn't yet closed - so hopefully they will spend some money when they actually own the film and hire a real artist to do the cover. i know a guy if they have any trouble...

i'm hoping this is just some intermediate shit that they produced to lay claim to the film early on. apparently the deal hasn't yet closed - so hopefully they will spend some money when they actually own the film and hire a real artist to do the cover. i know a guy if they have any trouble...

I wonder who that might be....

Well I'm in correspondence with a couple people @ Entertainment One about inquiries into theatrical release (widespread and limited) and I've been forwarded further up the food chain. Slow, but steady. Hopefully something positive comes out of it. I really wanna see this on a 40' screen.

I wonder who that might be....

Well I'm in correspondence with a couple people @ Entertainment One about inquiries into theatrical release (widespread and limited) and I've been forwarded further up the food chain. Slow, but steady. Hopefully something positive comes out of it. I really wanna see this on a 40' screen.

amen brother!

Good news is that Hannibal is not responsible for that ridiculous key art we've been screaming over.

They are not even sure where it came from but all evidence points to the distributor.

Word from the inside is that every distributor is contractually permitted to generate their own key art.

All apologies to Hannibal if they have been painted villainous unduly during our recent conversation.

Not sure why the distributor felt the need to have new art created unless they themselves considered that the imagery already generated needed to be dumbed down and made retard friendly.

My thinking is that the artwork in question is simply that, "key art", representing the film visually for the distributor and their buyers.

But I do not believe that it's necessarily the actual DVD sleeve artwork. Jury is still out.

Bigger, more prominent creative entities are keeping watch so let's all say a little prayer and hope the distributor generated key art never sees life in actual print on a DVD cover.

- TB

Ahhh, well that's good news!

I'm going to AFM this week and plan on dropping by the distributor's to say "Hey" and let them know that there's a legion of Raw dudes and dudettes who will either shower them with love or with pain depending upon how they release the film.

The choice is theirs...

Dude it won't just be us. I'll start an internet brushfire they won't fucking believe if they release that shit on the cover ;)

It'd be superfuckingcool if my art was on the DVD, that I cannot deny.

But I'm DEAD serious, it doesn't matter to me WHO does the artwork so long as it honors and represents the film, and doesn't cheapen it with a half-assed graphic, PERIOD.

- TB

But I'm DEAD serious, it doesn't matter to me WHO does the artwork so long as it honors and represents the film, and doesn't cheapen it with a half-assed graphic, PERIOD.

I agree!