kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

Gran Torino was a great film. I didn't think I was going to like it for some reason -- I thought it would be watered down. It wasn't.

Look, regardless of the fate of Malone ... we still don't know ... I will give big kudos to Hannibal Pictures for actually manning up and financing the movie -- I hope to God they make money and the film does well for everyone involved. I hope to God the distributor is able to do great things with it and makes sure that it's rolled out properly.

I think Medium Fan hit the nail on the head -- the big conglomerations own the studios (Hannibal's an Indie, the reason they would make Malone) and what the conglomerates want is a sure thing. The only way to get a sure thing is to make a film based on existing property with an existing fan base. Michael Bay is a great action director -- The Rock proves that (an "original" film) -- but Transformers 2 ... it's the shining example all that is wrong with the film industry ... and yet so right. It made A TON of cash (#20 on the all time highest grossing film list?????)

When you're in the creative business, not being able to be original is the same as getting hobbled, Kathy Bates style.

IT HURTS

Mark

I love movies like Gran Torino and Give 'Em Hell, Malone and Dark Country, because they're made by people who give a shit about movies, and they care enough to make a movie worth seeing. And I'm not just sayin' that because of the company I'm in either. Gran Torino was the best movie I saw last year, and to be honest, if it had been anybody but Clint Eastwood, that movie probably would have never been made.

For some reason I thought you were going to link to the hot tub scene from About Schmidt.

It's fucked up, it really is. I mean not even the new Coen Bros. film is getting a wide release, that should tell you enough about the shitty direction things are going in regarding film.

Look, regardless of the fate of Malone ... we still don't know ... I will give big kudos to Hannibal Pictures for actually manning up and financing the movie -- I hope to God they make money and the film does well for everyone involved. I hope to God the distributor is able to do great things with it and makes sure that it's rolled out properly.

I definitely do not begrudge Hannibal Pictures at all. I do hope that this makes it to a theatrical release. As mentioned by my friend on the facebook page for GEHM, if there is a way to get the picture, he will rent a local theatre to ensure it gets shown on the big screen. Even if it is to a small crowd of "enthusiasts" (fanatics is such a harsh label.)

Damn. I was hoping that what happened to Dark Country wouldn't happen to Malone.

But I hope that the film will be successful despite this awful cover and I will watch it anyway (in the theater or on DVD)...

Is National Entertainment Media a Canadian company? I just see no info out there on it. Is it one guy working out of a spare bedroom at the back of his house?

Is National Entertainment Media a Canadian company? I just see no info out there on it. Is it one guy working out of a spare bedroom at the back of his house?

Canadian Distributor is Entertainment One (Confirmed with Hannibal Pictures....) That being said, Entertainment One has done Theatrical releases in Canada, whereas it doesn't look like NEM has...

National Entertainment Media has distributed the following that I can find, all DVD release only... (Theatrical was to others.)

Night Train (2009, Danny Glover)

Baby on Board (2009, Heather Graham)

Camille (2007, Sienna Millar, James Franco)

Found this (Posted Aug 2009).

Name: National Entertainment Media

Launched in 2008, National Entertainment Media (NEM) is dedicated to delivering compelling, star-powered films to consumers through a variety of distribution channels including DVD /Blu-ray and new media. Boasting top-notch production values and many of Hollywood’s leading actors, NEM’s slate of films includes the romantic comedy Baby on Board, starring Heather G ...raham, Jerry O’Connell, John Corbett and Lara Flynn Boyle; the action-thriller Night Train, featuring Danny Glover, Leelee Sobieski and Steve Zahn; and Camille, a road trip/romantic comedy starring James Franco, Sienna Miller and David Carradine. For more information on NEM’s upcoming features, visit www.nationalentertainmentmedia.com.

Of course the website comes up blank to me....

However the website is registered to:

KOCH Entertainment

Name removed

22 Harbor Park Drive

Port Washington, NY 11050

US

Phone: Number removed

Email: Email Removed

Koch's Distribution site comes up as E1 (Entertainment one)... and one of the E1 distribution labels is for National Entertainment Media...

So E1 is a US company and it isn't one guy (I hope)...

Of course the website comes up blank to me....

However the website is registered to:

KOCH Entertainment

Name removed

22 Harbor Park Drive

Port Washington, NY 11050

US

Phone: Number removed

Email: Email Removed

Koch's Distribution site comes up as E1 (Entertainment one)... and one of the E1 distribution labels is for National Entertainment Media...

So E1 is a US company and it isn't one guy (I hope)...

Website comes up blank for me too, which made me wonder.....

Thanks for the info you scrounged up, such a it is.

If Malone does go the same rout as Dark Country that will mean that there will be no real 'prints' of the film as you would produce many to play theatrically.

They wouldn't have to spend that money going DTV, all of which means that there would be very few actual screenable, projectable copies of the film to show in an actual theater. Meaning there would be hoops to jump through to set up a screening like OK'ing it with the studio or owners, then getting your hands on that print.

Actual screenings would be rare as in the case of Dark Country.

So it would take someone who gave a shit to set the thing up, Tom, Mark, etc . . .

Or on occasion, a theater owner can solicit the studio for the opportunity to show the film.

It's not impossible to see Malone on the big screen if it does not go theatrical (and I'm assuming it won't), it's just a lot of coordination and effort.

Not sure yet if this deal means that Malone will have the music cues (Mamas and the Papas, The Animals) restored to the film as was intended by Russell Mulcahy.

But I doubt anyone will offer additional expense. My understanding is that Hannibal made this film to go DTV.

My belief is that with some smart editing, inclusion of the aforementioned music cues, and some decent marketing, Malone could perform decently if it went theatrical and could definitely turn a buck.

My feeling is that they are buying it as is and will shuffle it out on DVD asap to begin generating some financial return.

I say all that without any real knowledge of what is actually going on behind closed doors at Hannibal right now, so understand that this is only my opinion based of some of the facts we do have.

- TB

Not sure yet if this deal means that Malone will have the music cues (Mamas and the Papas, The Animals) restored to the film as was intended by Russell Mulcahy.

But I doubt anyone will offer additional expense. My understanding is that Hannibal made this film to go DTV.

My belief is that with some smart editing, restoration of the music cues, and some decent marketing, Malone could perform decently if it went theatrical and could definitely turn a buck.

My feeling is that they are buying it as is and will shuffle it out on DVD asap to begin generating some financial return.

Wow... I guess I definitely need to learn more about the world of movie making.

So after the screening of GEHM, and to which Mr. Hosack and the crew noted where they could fix up some items and re-edit some scenes, and redo some music to make it a better film, the companies would rather sell the "crude version" than a finished version? Anyone else make it sound like the horrible video game industry? "Aka. Deadline no matter what. We can patch it later." Only there is no later unless sales do well and then you may later see the director's cut etc...?

Sad. Very sad...

Tim, how many Malone posters are there now? If anything, I'll have to get a few as prints.

From my hands there are 2 official posters (White Noir, and the photo retouch Jane with Mateba graphic background.

There is one official key art design - So 3, officially.

There is 1 unused photo based design which I've never shown publically,

1 unused graphic Malone design (the baddass one they shoulda used for Cannes),

And there is that retro 70's thing posted way back in this thread (which is the ONLY place it's been published).

= 3 more unofficial.

Then there's that third party 'thing' we've been discussing which I would have to assume is official.

I actually printed out both official posters on awesome giclee paper, been showing them at Con's, and they look fucking fantastic, especially White Noir.

Wow... I guess I definitely need to learn more about the world of movie making.

So after the screening of GEHM, and to which Mr. Hosack and the crew noted where they could fix up some items and re-edit some scenes, and redo some music to make it a better film, the companies would rather sell the "crude version" than a finished version? Anyone else make it sound like the horrible video game industry? "Aka. Deadline no matter what. We can patch it later." Only there is no later unless sales do well and then you may later see the director's cut etc...?

Sad. Very sad...

Yeah, we screened the film at SDCC to a full room and had great response. The feedback we got was pretty much just confirming what we already knew - Needed a nip/tuck and tightening in the edit, and the studio needed to spend a few bucks to ensure licensing of the music. Not a whole lot and easily doable so long as EVERYONE'S aim is to make a better film.

Booking time for editing costs, buying the rights to music costs. It isn't personal with them, it's just that they won't spend the money.

The creative faction wants to create the best film possible - The financial faction wants to turn the fastest buck possible.

It's the reality of this industry for the most part.

- TB

FYI: I popped a call into Hannibal today. They aren't announcing anything official or "unofficial" to the writer re: distribution -- so beyond what we've found on the internet, there's nothing official to report. I'm sure they'll get in touch with us when everything is figured out.

Is there another Animal's music cue, or is it the same from the trailer? Just curious how the music thing works, if the track has to be licensed for both the trailer and the film, or if it's a one shot deal?

Is there another Animal's music cue, or is it the same from the trailer? Just curious how the music thing works, if the track has to be licensed for both the trailer and the film, or if it's a one shot deal?

None of the music in the trailer is licensed. Its okay as long as it isn't "Official" -- it can't be put on a DVD or run in front of a movie. They've recently swapped that music out for original music in the film. But yes, the song at the end of the trailer is the one Russell wants in the film, but also a Mammas and Pappas song, which is the big one, for the end.

Sucks we won't see at least a small theatrical run of Malone, think it lends itself to a good time in a movie theater. When dealing with these lower budget, independents, it really does come down to money. Their reasoning of why risk losing $15-20 million on advertising when we've already made $3 million on pre-sales or DVD/Cable makes sense but blows from a creative standpoint.

And the generic artwork isn't a surprise, a friend dealing with First Look was fighting for new cover art as the current one is from a different movie entirely! But First Look basically said, we need something simple, direct and this actors last movie didn't do very well so who cares? C'est la vie.

OOOHHH, Nashville . . .

Did someone say, The Pancake Pantry?

I can taste the incredibleness now.

- tb

Mike is correct. Reubens was for Matchstick. "Suck my Sinatra" was one of those lines that "fell out of the typewriter" one late caffeine drenched rewrite night about a week before the shoot. In fact, Frankie the Crooner wasn't in the original script. He TOO "Fell outta my typewriter" about two months before the shoot because about a third of the way through the movie, after Malone kills...

Well, you're not gonna get THAT much outta me.

Mike is correct. Reubens was for Matchstick.

Mike also cheated, but he isn't saying where he got the info :unsure:

OOOHHH, Nashville . . .

Did someone say, The Pancake Pantry?

I can taste the incredibleness now.

- tb

No, Bradstreet, someone said Belcourt Theater. You really shouldn't read the forums when you're hungry.

There's a lot more to Nashville than country music and....pancakes.

I fuckin' tore UP Nashville last time I was there!

Had a ball, and yeah, it wasn't all Pancakes, and absolutely NO country music ;)

I painted the town with Barry Pepper and some crew while visiting the set of Green Mile for a week.

It was AWESOME. Got to see a Predator's game too!

I wish I could still drink my way through town like that and not be doomed for a week.

Belcourt sounds DEVINE. Will look into it.

Thanks Kwiat.

- TB