kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

We already HAVE custom covers, at least 4 cool pieces of cover art anyway.

I actually forgot how bad that art was over the past 12 hours.

Depressing.

- tb

But Tiiiiiimmmmm! I wannna do a covah!!!! :lol:

I seriously cannot figure out why one of your posters wasn't picked... or like JWeber said, ripped off or knocked off. The current cover does not jump out at me, it looks like it wants to hide behind everything else.

Someone somewhere probably got a pat on the back for that. Depressing indeed.

I'm sure I didn't get the call because I actually gave a damn, fought them tooth and nail doing the other stuff so this film would be left with a shred of credibility from a marketing standpoint.

Obviously they chose to go third party with no ties and no qualms about chucking out a king sized shit burger for them.

I really have to stop sugar coating my feelings ;)

Mostly I feel sick for Tom, Russell, and Mark.

- TB

Yeah, that's the one. To be fair, I have NO IDEA if that's going to be the final art or not. I just found it on a search. It could be from a totally different territory than America, though it is in English.

I'm looking forward to my trailer being Wal-Mart-ized.

V.O. GUY: "ONLY ONE MAN CAN TURN BAD BLOOD INTO TRUE LOVE. MALONE."

Oh, that's giving them too much credit.

V.O. GUY: "ONE MAN... ON A COLLISION COURSE... TO HELL!"

But Tiiiiiimmmmm! I wannna do a covah!!!! :lol:

I seriously cannot figure out why one of your posters wasn't picked... or like JWeber said, ripped off or knocked off. The current cover does not jump out at me, it looks like it wants to hide behind everything else.

re-read my post which i've since edited, it wasn't getting across the point I was actually trying to make.

Of course - feel free to do some custom.

The current cover doesn't jump out at me either, it doesn't even limp.

And my responses here have NOTHING to do with my work being left on the sidelines, seriously. I got paid (like a monkey, but I got paid) , I HAVE a one-sheet of the art that's going to hang in my studio. This stuff happens all the time, I'm used to that. I'm just sickened, and depressed on behalf of the film and it's true creators.

Someday, somehow, SOMEONE has to stop the insanity. Amateur hour.

- tb

LOL!!!!

- tb

I'm sure I didn't get the call because I actually gave a damn, fought them tooth and nail doing the other stuff so this film would be left with a shred of credibility from a marketing standpoint.

Obviously they chose to go third party with no ties and no qualms about chucking out a king sized shit burger for them.

I really have to stop sugar coating my feelings ;)

Mostly I feel sick for Tom, Russell, and Mark.

- TB

That's why we love you big guy ;)

Yeah, that's the one. To be fair, I have NO IDEA if that's going to be the final art or not. I just found it on a search. It could be from a totally different territory than America, though it is in English.

You should beat them to the punch and do one yourself. Maybe they could catch the sarcasim.

re-read my post which was edited since after reading it wasn't getting across the point I was actually trying to make.

Of course - feel free to do some custom.

The current cover doesn't jump out at me either, it doesn't even limp.

And my responses here have NOTHING to do with my work being left on the sidelines, seriously. I got paid (like a monkey, but I got paid) , I HAVE a one-sheet of the art that's going to hang in my studio. This stuff happens all the time, I'm used to that. I'm just sickened, and depressed on behalf of the film and it's true creators.

Someday, somehow, SOMEONE has to stop the insanity. Amateur hour.

- tb

Nah, I got 'cha bro ;) I don't think I'm going to go all out and do up three, gonna try to design at least one. Although another Mr. Sparkle Edition is tempting...

You haven't come across as a "but my art is good" pride issue. Your posters are WORLDS better than that. Things I've made from my ass are only slightly better than the cover we've seen. Simply put, you've provided a top notch, eye catching, and wonderful series of posters. I imagine most studios don't have these just land on their doorsteps, so its puzzling as to why they would go for... that. This cover in no way represents the trailer I've seen, and surely it represents the film less.

Oh and Tim... is there any possible way I could get a one-sheet as well? Maybe a proof like that Lurkers one from a ways back?

You haven't come across as a "but my art is good" pride issue.

Totally agree. It's just nice when someone gets what the film is about and tries the capture that in an image.

Nah, I got 'cha bro ;) I don't think I'm going to go all out and do up three, gonna try to design at least one. Although another Mr. Sparkle Edition is tempting...

You haven't come across as a "but my art is good" pride issue. Your posters are WORLDS better than that. Things I've made from my ass are only slightly better than the cover we've seen. Simply put, you've provided a top notch, eye catching, and wonderful series of posters. I imagine most studios don't have these just land on their doorsteps, so its puzzling as to why they would got for... that.

Oh and Tim... is there any possible way I could get a one-sheet as well? Maybe a proof like that Lurkers one from a ways back?

I'll tell you why they went for it, because they needed generic art for broad appeal, even if they stretch the truth or outright lie to the public to fool them visually.

Believe me, these apes have NO scruples when it comes to selling their product, and that's EXACTLY what it is to them, there is NO artistic decision-making going on other than 'hit them in the head' and be as wide with the demographic as you possibly can.

I just thought they were smarter than that. They think they ARE being smart, but they're just following a marketing formula handbook that was a waste of time even when it had some relevance. Going with something stylized like the stuff I did, puts the film in a nitch, and to them NITCH is a dirty word that means no sales. They don't give the entertainment buying public ANY credit at all. We're just a bunch of mindless automatons that need our fix.

- TB

PS - Can't help out with the one-sheet white noir poster. I had to kill someone to get the last one we had.

And BTW: On this Theatrical / Blu-Ray thing -- I just have to vent for a second, here's the problem: It isn't that small films like Malone & Dark Country wouldn't make money if they were released theatrically -- they WOULD and they would make a shitload of more money in BLU-RAY / DVD sales. Theatrical these days is just ADVERTISING for the DVD. The problem is that they wouldn't make a SHITLOAD of money theatrically. Moviemaking has turned into VEGAS. At least in the development end of things. Trust me, the fastest way to kill a pitch is to utter two evil words: Character-Driven.

Quick! Give me your pitch in 25 words or less! I can do it. I can do it well. But can anyone tell me why I should have to boil my 100 page script, my 100,000 word book, into 25 words or less? That's right. MARKETING.

Okay. I cut trailers for a living. I could "market" a movie about my newborn lying in her crib and make it compelling. You can market ANYTHING. Why in the hell does my script have to be bite-sized? It's not a package of M&Ms, it's a character driven story. Does a 25 word or less pitch actually do justice to a script like SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION? Could it even possibly BEGIN to describe that incredibly complicated, CHARACTER DRIVEN story? (with a great plot twist)

The problem is that the distribution system out of Hollywood has been conglomerated by giant corporations who own the studios. They only want to produce and release giant spectacle movies that are going to make bonzo amounts of money. Really. OR they want part 2, 3, 4, OR they want an adaptation to a book / video game / toy line. Why take the TIME and RESOURCES to release a small film theatrically if it isn't going to make a gazillion dollars? If it's only going to bring in a modest return? And are they WRONG for thinking this way?

TRANSFORMERS 2 WAS THE WORST FILM I'VE EVER WATCHED IN FAST FORWARD.

19% on RottenTomatoes!

Really, I LOVE pulpy tongue in cheek, over the top films. I wrote MALONE for Christ's sake. I have every line muttered by Bruce Campbell in ARMY OF DARKNESS occupying precious grey matter space. But there was nothing good about that film, the critics agree, my friends agree, BUT I STILL WATCHED IT IN FAST FORWARD (though I didn't PAY for it) and so did enough people that it made 832 MILLION DOLLARS WORLD WIDE.

That's nearly 1 BILLION DOLLARS. THIS IS INSANITY. I MEAN REALLY. WTF?

I'm all about mainstream films -- I believe in bringing great entertainment to a wide audience. I freakin' love Spielberg. I love Darabont. I love Zemeckis (but go back to live action, eh?).

BUT WHY IS TRANSFORMERS 2 #20 ON THE TOP GROSSING FILMS OF ALL TIME?????

I think this says more of Cultural Trends than Michael Bay's directing prowess. Let's face it, if people didn't pay for it, they wouldn't drop 200 million to make it.

As a still struggling writer in Hollywood-- I gotta tell you, we're not moving away from films like this, we're moving toward them. No one, and I mean no one, is looking to make the next "PARANORMAL ACTIVITY" -- they view indies like they're freaks -- which they are -- but films like that show that with a clever advertising campaign, small films CAN do big business, or there's at least a theatrical market for them. But for every Paranormal Activity, there's a BLACK DYNAMITE, there's a TRICK R TREAT, good independent films that got A LOT of buzz on the festival / Comic-Con circuits that will either bomb at the box office (see Black Dynamite) or go straight to DVD, despite a big following (see Trick R Treat).

But hey, I didn't go running out to see Black Dynamite (only because I have a new born), and yes, I do enjoy big event movies, but you better believe I'm going to go catch the latest Coen Bros film over an Independence Day.

I was reading an interview with Willem Dafoe over at aintitcoolnews just a second ago and he was talking about how he'd rather work with these mad directors, Lars Von Trier, in particular, who I guess is something of a nutjob. He said he'd take a PASSIONATE NUTJOB any day, because they "put their blood into the movie." And succeed or fail, they give it their all, they try to do something different, something unique, instead of just "making a career."

I like to think that that's what we did with Malone. Succeed or fail, we at least put our guts into it and tried to do something unique.

I've had too much coffee -- I'm bitching, I know, and I know that I shouldn't bitch. I think it's silly to complain about something you can't change. But as artists, as writers and actors and illustrators and colorists and directors, as many of us on this forum are, this is the environment in which we operate, and I think that it's important to know and understand the rules.

That way we can feel better when we break them.

I'll tell you why they went for it, because they needed generic art for broad appeal, even if they stretch the truth or outright lie to the public to fool them visually.

Believe me, these apes have NO scruples when it comes to selling their product, and that's EXACTLY what it is to them, there is NO artistic decision-making going on other than 'hit them in the head' and be as wide with the demographic as you possibly can.

I just thought they were smarter than that. They think they ARE being smart, but they're just following a marketing formula handbook that was a waste of time even when it had some relevance. Going with something stylized like the stuff I did, puts the film in a nitch, and to them NITCH is a dirty word that means no sales. They don't give the entertainment buying public ANY credit at all. We're just a bunch of mindless automatons that need our fix.

- TB

PS - Can't help out with the one-sheet white noir poster. I had to kill someone to get the last one we had. The Lurkers is no problem though, got a few of those all tucked away.

Absolute truth, every word. Unfortunately, this generic is just way below most other companies efforts. WAY BELOW. Actually, you said it best.... shitburger.

In a way, I understand the mentality. Provide to the broadest market possible. But, when you MAKE a nitch film, all you do is turn off people who buy your movie, find its nothing like what the cover depicts, return the fucker, only to repeat the process again. Bah.

The film deserves better. Hell, I'd settle for good.

I figured it was a shot in the dark for the print though. I do have the Lurkers one, and my lazy ass has yet to get a proper frame for it. I suck.

PS - Can't help out with the one-sheet white noir poster. I had to kill someone to get the last one we had.

Think I was the one that died for that. S'ok since RAW folks can come from the grave anyway :P

I still think they could have used this one.

8783d1238352404-movie-trailers-give.jpg

It's got the car, Malone, the girl and the gun.

Yeah, but it's dark and shadowy with a monotone background. They want COLOR, and no shadows, they want to SEE their stars, not obscure them in ANY way, no dramatic impact, just hollywood stars and their names above the logo. See how they changed the logo? Ours was too nitch, too pulpy, so they changed the 'Malone' part to look all slick-like, which has nothing to do with the tone of the film whatsoever. How about the fiery bullet hole at upper left of logo. Oh my that is SO clever ;)

I kept saying, guys, ever see the poster for Taken, almost all shadow. I'm pretty sure that movie was rather nitch and it made like ridiculous $$$

sigh

- tb

You should have brought them the Taken DVD and Gran Torino, both big money makers, and showed them that.

Mark, :D One day (probably decades from now) someone will get it, and we won't have to beat our heads into the walls.

And BTW: On this Theatrical / Blu-Ray thing -- I just have to vent for a second, here's the problem: It isn't that small films like Malone & Dark Country wouldn't make money if they were released theatrically -- they WOULD and they would make a shitload of more money in BLU-RAY / DVD sales. Theatrical these days is just ADVERTISING for the DVD. The problem is that they wouldn't make a SHITLOAD of money theatrically. Moviemaking has turned into VEGAS. At least in the development end of things. Trust me, the fastest way to kill a pitch is to utter two evil words: Character-Driven.

Quick! Give me your pitch in 25 words or less! I can do it. I can do it well. But can anyone tell me why I should have to boil my 100 page script, my 100,000 word book, into 25 words or less? That's right. MARKETING.

Okay. I cut trailers for a living. I could "market" a movie about my newborn lying in her crib and make it compelling. You can market ANYTHING. Why in the hell does my script have to be bite-sized? It's not a package of M&Ms, it's a character driven story. Does a 25 word or less pitch actually do justice to a script like SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION? Could it even possibly BEGIN to describe that incredibly complicated, CHARACTER DRIVEN story? (with a great plot twist)

The problem is that the distribution system out of Hollywood has been conglomerated by giant corporations who own the studios. They only want to produce and release giant spectacle movies that are going to make bonzo amounts of money. Really. OR they want part 2, 3, 4, OR they want an adaptation to a book / video game / toy line. Why take the TIME and RESOURCES to release a small film theatrically if it isn't going to make a gazillion dollars? If it's only going to bring in a modest return? And are they WRONG for thinking this way?

TRANSFORMERS 2 WAS THE WORST FILM I'VE EVER WATCHED IN FAST FORWARD.

19% on RottenTomatoes!

Really, I LOVE pulpy tongue in cheek, over the top films. I wrote MALONE for Christ's sake. I have every line muttered by Bruce Campbell in ARMY OF DARKNESS occupying precious grey matter space. But there was nothing good about that film, the critics agree, my friends agree, BUT I STILL WATCHED IT IN FAST FORWARD (though I didn't PAY for it) and so did enough people that it made 832 MILLION DOLLARS WORLD WIDE.

That's nearly 1 BILLION DOLLARS. THIS IS INSANITY. I MEAN REALLY. WTF?

I'm all about mainstream films -- I believe in bringing great entertainment to a wide audience. I freakin' love Spielberg. I love Darabont. I love Zemeckis (but go back to live action, eh?).

BUT WHY IS TRANSFORMERS 2 #20 ON THE TOP GROSSING FILMS OF ALL TIME?????

I think this says more of Cultural Trends than Michael Bay's directing prowess. Let's face it, if people didn't pay for it, they wouldn't drop 200 million to make it.

As a still struggling writer in Hollywood-- I gotta tell you, we're not moving away from films like this, we're moving toward them. No one, and I mean no one, is looking to make the next "PARANORMAL ACTIVITY" -- they view indies like they're freaks -- which they are -- but films like that show that with a clever advertising campaign, small films CAN do big business, or there's at least a theatrical market for them. But for every Paranormal Activity, there's a BLACK DYNAMITE, there's a TRICK R TREAT, good independent films that got A LOT of buzz on the festival / Comic-Con circuits that will either bomb at the box office (see Black Dynamite) or go straight to DVD, despite a big following (see Trick R Treat).

But hey, I didn't go running out to see Black Dynamite (only because I have a new born), and yes, I do enjoy big event movies, but you better believe I'm going to go catch the latest Coen Bros film over an Independence Day.

I was reading an interview with Willem Dafoe over at aintitcoolnews just a second ago and he was talking about how he'd rather work with these mad directors, Lars Von Trier, in particular, who I guess is something of a nutjob. He said he'd take a PASSIONATE NUTJOB any day, because they "put their blood into the movie." And succeed or fail, they give it their all, they try to do something different, something unique, instead of just "making a career."

I like to think that that's what we did with Malone. Succeed or fail, we at least put our guts into it and tried to do something unique.

I've had too much coffee -- I'm bitching, I know, and I know that I shouldn't bitch. I think it's silly to complain about something you can't change. But as artists, as writers and actors and illustrators and colorists and directors, as many of us on this forum are, this is the environment in which we operate, and I think that it's important to know and understand the rules.

That way we can feel better when we break them.

AMEN Mark, and BRAVO for the rant!

Bless you ya magnificent bastard.

- tb

You should have brought them the Taken DVD and Gran Torino, both big money makers, and showed them that.

Mark, :D One day (probably decades from now) someone will get it, and we won't have to beat our heads into the walls.

Gran Torino was one of the first posters I showed them and they loved it.

But at every step we moved farther and farther away until Russell intervened and we ended up with White Noir and the photo Malone with the Mateba design motif.

- tb

Where's the emoticon of the guy putting a gun to his head when you need it ;)

suicide.gif

gehm.png

Once again.

KenPark-Suicide.gif

Well it's possible we/I could be ranting and bitching for no reason, that the other art is just 'other art' and they could still use some cool shit for the DVD.

But I've got a sinking feeling that the new art is the DVD sleeve which they touched base with me on several weeks back, but only to get access to ancillary materials that they didn't have (cause they ALWAYS lose the stuff and I gotta upload shit again for them all the time). Someone else was doing the sleeve design which was never a big deal for me personally. I assumed they were using the existing art. Maybe they will, they DID ask for the two main poster files.

I'll happily eat a big platter of crow if all the bitching was for nothing, and offer a king sized apology.

But I can't get that 'other' art out of my head here. I mean why? Why generate that shit if you aren't planning on using it?

- TB

DAMNIT!

I hate it when I find stuff that is bad news....

I have to apologize to Mr. Hosack. I never should have brought up my find on that Canadian distributor. It is too depressing. One can only hope that this movie does get it's day in Theatrical release prior to January. I really want to see this on the big screen and not my home theatre. Sigh....

Maybe it's just that sad excuse for a cover, but did they repaint in the guns in the image?

At least this time the catch line stayed the same.... "Hard to Love, Harder to Kill."

I'm just at a loss...

What a effin' tragedy. I gotta agree with Mark Hosack and his rant about the quality of "entertainment" coming out of Hollywood these days. And it's becoming rampant in every genre (movies, television, etc.). Every new movie is a remake of an old movie. Every new show is a ripoff of another show (or a "spinoff" as they sometimes call them). For Chrissakes, how many freakin' CSIs, Law & Orders, and NCIS' do we need?! And don't even get me started on the dozens upon dozens of "reality shows" that are absolute clones of one another.

It's a cryin' shame that there is not one iota of originality left in the Hollywood executive ranks anymore. It has become exceedingly rare to find an original concept (like Hung) much less someone with the balls to put it out there and give the public something different for a change, and take a chance, rather than follow the same old pattern.

I heard a very smart lady say one time that the Hollywood system had been taken over by big corporations who wanted to get in on the "glamour" of Hollywood, and as a result, everything became about marketing strategy, rather than creating entertainment that was worth watching. And in the end, a lot of really talented and creative people got booted out the door because they didn't fit the new ideals.

That's just disgusting. I'll admit to going to see the big "tentpole" pictures once in a while, but only if it's something that really interests me. I refuse to go just because someone is yelling in my face that I have to see it, which is usually how I feel when I see 50,000 commercials for some garbage like Transformers 2. (Seriously, who do I see to get that two effin' hours of my life back? Does anybody have Michael Bay's number?!)

I love movies like Gran Torino and Give 'Em Hell, Malone and Dark Country, because they're made by people who give a shit about movies, and they care enough to make a movie worth seeing. And I'm not just sayin' that because of the company I'm in either. Gran Torino was the best movie I saw last year, and to be honest, if it had been anybody but Clint Eastwood, that movie probably would have never been made.