kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

Guest AdminGuyX
Bah. Suddenly no one wants to talk about GTHM anymore.

Well Dark Country just came out, so yeah we'll concentrate on that for a bit. When Malone comes out I'm sure we will shift our focus to discussing this film.

Why so cranky about it?

:P

Edited: I note that on the Hannibal Pictures Website, Canada and USA are no longer on the list for available for distribution!

News! :)

Yeah, Hannibal's in final negotiations with a company for domestic rights, which is why they wouldn't let us screen the film. SUPPOSEDLY they were going to finalize negotiations last week but I haven't heard a peep. Sometimes these things drag out ... and sometimes the writer's the last to know ; )

Will let you know when I know. Fingers crossed its a good company!!

Mark

BTW: "GIVE 'EM HELL MALONE Catalog Number: NEMDV11, UPC# 652405001191. Release date Jan 26,2010"

Is scary -- it's listed as a US import, which is weird -- maybe they have the inside scoop and the dom distributor hasn't officially posted yet. Or else maybe they have bad info. If you check out the companies on IMDB, you'll see a bunch of foreign companies listed. I'm just guessing but it'll probably hit in early 2010.

I don't know, DTV or Theatrical -- I mean we all want it to be a Theatrical release, it SHOULD be a theatrical release, but it seems like Hollywood is DECIDEDLY spineless these days in what it will and won't take a chance on. I know TJs really pushing for a proper treatment of the film. We'll see.

Mark

I just heard the other day that studios don't bother collecting data on folks over 59. Once a person has turned 60, the studios no longer think they exist.

Bruce Springsteen turned 60 this year. "poof"

Who do they think would be interested in a ramped up version of all the movies they watched in the "old days?" Who knows or cares about noir? Who watched Bogart and Newman and McQueen on the big screen? I'll give you a hint - not the G4 crowd.

Don't get me wrong. I get the impression Malone could have a broad spectrum of appeal. But the studios only look at one end of the spectrum.

Sorry for the rant. I'll get off of my soapbox now.

BTW: "GIVE 'EM HELL MALONE Catalog Number: NEMDV11, UPC# 652405001191. Release date Jan 26,2010"

Is scary -- it's listed as a US import, which is weird -- maybe they have the inside scoop and the dom distributor hasn't officially posted yet. Or else maybe they have bad info. If you check out the companies on IMDB, you'll see a bunch of foreign companies listed. I'm just guessing but it'll probably hit in early 2010.

I don't know, DTV or Theatrical -- I mean we all want it to be a Theatrical release, it SHOULD be a theatrical release, but it seems like Hollywood is DECIDEDLY spineless these days in what it will and won't take a chance on. I know TJs really pushing for a proper treatment of the film. We'll see.

Mark

Thank you Mr. Hosack, for your input. I was hoping I was wrong. I still am.

I'll stop fretting and causing unsolicited rumours. :) I just want some info.

Sue me. I'm in it for the gun and make no bones about it. I'm just weird that way :)

I just heard the other day that studios don't bother collecting data on folks over 59. Once a person has turned 60, the studios no longer think they exist.

Bruce Springsteen turned 60 this year. "poof"

Who do they think would be interested in a ramped up version of all the movies they watched in the "old days?" Who knows or cares about noir? Who watched Bogart and Newman and McQueen on the big screen? I'll give you a hint - not the G4 crowd.

Don't get me wrong. I get the impression Malone could have a broad spectrum of appeal. But the studios only look at one end of the spectrum.

Sorry for the rant. I'll get off of my soapbox now.

The G4 crowd likes usually a couple things. Lots of techo-gadgets/guns/action. However, Gamer (directed at G4 crowd) died after only 5 weeks in the theatre.

As much as I want Malone to run in theaters, there's a selfish part of me that wants it to go straight to dvd, just to watch over and over again.

Course, I could always try to bribe Mark with riches* beyond his wildest imagination** for a bootleg.

*sketches

**pretty much what you'd expect

Thanks for posting the David Williams link, Mark.

I've been spoiled already along with you by getting to listen to the whole (complete) score at the touch of a button.

Don't mean to rub it in, but I urge you all to check out David's music for Malone!!!!

- TB

I like it so far. It has a diffrent feel to it than I thougt it would, but at the same time, it drifts into that crime/noirish type music you think of. Good blending of the two.

Side note, I always had a soft spot for the first two Prophecy films. Loved the music. Now I know who the guy behind it was.

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, I really like those cues. Thanks Mark!!

I'll have to download some of his music.

Course, I could always try to bribe Mark with riches* beyond his wildest imagination** for a bootleg.

*sketches

**pretty much what you'd expect

Hey, I'm pretty cheap these days -- a sketch or two would go a long way. Of course I would have to bribe someone to get a screener too -- cause I don't have one!!! At least not of the finished film. The production company's paranoid about piracy so they aren't letting anything out.

Mark

That sucks Mark.

Can't say that I blame them (about the piracy), but you'd think by now they could put a tracer on screeners. That way when the feed shows up online, they know who to go to.

Well, Malone has an official BluRay street date of Jan 26th on Amazon.

If anyone out there knows about how this Amazon street date thing works let us know -- does this mean any kind of a theatrical is out? Black Dynamite has a street date on Amazon -- it was released just last weekend.

I haven't heard back from the production company beyond, "Yeah, we got domestic." Maybe they'll do limited screenings? I don't know. Surely that's possible. It's all up to the distribution company, National American Media, who I haven't spoken to yet.

Regardless, yes, Malone should get some kind of theatrical, and yes, we should get in there and recut this thing based on feedback from Comic-Con...

But, on a personal note, from a guy who moved to Hollywood without knowing a soul, I have to say:

MALONE GOT MADE WITH TOM F'N JANE AS MALONE and TIM BRADSTREET ON ART!!! AND BY JANUARY 26th, YOU'RE AT LEAST GONNA BE ABLE TO SEE A KICKASS FLICK IN GLORIOUS HD!!!

And THAT is pretty fucking exciting.

I wonder if we're gonna have to do some dvd sleeves for this one.

Either way, I'm excited to see this fucker on dvd, or theater, pop up book, flip book or smoke signals!

I wonder if we're gonna have to do some dvd sleeves for this one.

That would be an affirmative. I'd point out the way to some art I've found on-line but I don't want to give Bradstreet another aneurism.

Either way, I'm excited to see this fucker on dvd, or theater, pop up book, flip book or smoke signals!

I have to admit, I will be pissed if this doesn't get a decent theatrical release.

I haven't heard back from the production company beyond, "Yeah, we got domestic." Maybe they'll do limited screenings? I don't know. Surely that's possible. It's all up to the distribution company, National American Media, who I haven't spoken to yet.

I popped National American Media into google just out of curiosity and got nothin.

Do they really exist?

That's probably because I screwed up the name. It's:

"National Entertainment Media"

They've only put out 3-4 films. I remember seeing trailers for two of those on apple.com but I can't remember if either got a theatrical. At any rate, everything I know is what's up on Amazon, so you guys can take a look and see if you can read anything else into it.

That would be an affirmative. I'd point out the way to some art I've found on-line but I don't want to give Bradstreet another aneurism.

If it ain't any trouble, shoot me a pm with a link. Gotta know what I'm up against. Judging by their other covers, it's looking like generic city.

Amazon is not always the best way to go on street dates. About 90% of the time they are spot on, but I can recall a handfull of items I've waited for that did not come out on the date they posted. So, there's still hope it will get theatrical.

Either way, I have to say if it does go to DVD and Blu Ray, you make a good point Mark. It's cool as hell to have guys like Tim, Tom and Russel Mulcahy putting together a film based on something you created. You could have a bunch of hacks working on it, or it could have been shelved.

All I can say is that Mark sent TJ and I a link to some page with a new poster on display and it's absolute shit.

Even from a 'generic' standpoint it's shit. The photo retouch is shit (Tom looks like he . . . Christ, I can't even say it), the design is first rate forgettable, and they have Ving brandishing a heater and his character never so much as touches a gun in the film. It's every bit a poster advertising some film you'll never see!

It might have been perfect for Shock Festival with a little aging and stressing, and of course, a bit of water damage and some poster folds ;)

If I never had any connection to this film and I saw that art on the DVD sleeve in a store somewhere, I doubt I'd even pick it up.

HOWEVER, it may be the perfect thing for the toothless surface dwellers at Walmart.

The movie itself is still mondo cool though ;)

Not sure if it was Hannibal or this NEM that made the call on that. All I know is - they took a cool movie and made it look cheap.

xo - tb

Tim ain't lying. I described it as looking like a re-release dvd cover to some classic noir film for the dollar bin. I think what is most unsettling is that once again, Tim has provided some eye catching poster designs, things that make you go "Hmmm, that's interesting," and yet the ball is dropped again for some bad photoshop job. At least there are no floating heads.

I told Mark I'd make up a cover for the fans, just like Dark Country. I guess if I can do well, I'll be the alternate cover guy around here.

Should one of us post the link here? Just to share?

The really disappointing thing is that we already HAVE custom covers, at least 4 cool pieces of cover art that were passed over in favor of generic crud.

I actually forgot how bad that art was over the past 12 hours.

Depressing.

- tb