kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

Man, can't we get this on the other side of the country? :(

Hell, even in Michigan would be nice, I could drive there to see it.

A Long Beach Comic-Con with Thomas Jane? Sa-weet! Any idea if Give'em Hell Malone will be Friday or Saturday night? The press release and website don't mention specifics.

A Long Beach Comic-Con with Thomas Jane? Sa-weet! Any idea if Give'em Hell Malone will be Friday or Saturday night? The press release and website don't mention specifics.

I don't think the date / time is set yet -- But RAW is throwing the party so I'm sure it'll be announced here first.

Hey East Coast -- There's gotta be some Cons coming up soon, right?

I don't think the date / time is set yet -- But RAW is throwing the party so I'm sure it'll be announced here first.

Got the youmacon coming up on Halloween weekend here in Detroit. Seems like central Ohio always has a ton of cons in the fall...

Got the youmacon coming up on Halloween weekend here in Detroit. Seems like central Ohio always has a ton of cons in the fall...

Why yes, yes it does *peers over at his current location being Ohio*.... MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Cool, thanks Mr. Hosack. On a sidenote, I recently caught Confessions Of An Action Star and found it pretty funny, were you a hired gun for that or just lending a hand to the Brad Martin/David Leitch crew?

Cool, thanks Mr. Hosack. On a sidenote, I recently caught Confessions Of An Action Star and found it pretty funny, were you a hired gun for that or just lending a hand to the Brad Martin/David Leitch crew?

Hired Gun -- I came on after the film was finished and recut the movie. I thought the film was a lot of fun and am glad I had the chance to roll with it for a while. My only regret is there's a Ben Stiller outtake that's hilarious but due to some politicking, they couldn't get the rights to it.

If the film isn't out yet -- Maybe when Raw travels East to a Con they can show MALONE for you guys????

We'll be screening either Malone or Dark Country at the Big Apple Con in NY, October 16-18.

Not sure of the exact screening date yet either but all that will be worked out.

Stay tuned for updates in the Raw Studios section.

- TB

That sounds awesome, TB. I'm dying to see both of these, and since I didn't get the chance while I was in CA, I'll have to try to make it down to NYC to see it. I hope it's on Sat. or Sun that you get to show it. Looking forward to more news. Hope I get to come down there and see you guys.

Hired Gun -- I came on after the film was finished and recut the movie. I thought the film was a lot of fun and am glad I had the chance to roll with it for a while. My only regret is there's a Ben Stiller outtake that's hilarious but due to some politicking, they couldn't get the rights to it.

If the film isn't out yet -- Maybe when Raw travels East to a Con they can show MALONE for you guys????

The cameos cracked me up, from the stunt guys to actual movie stars. Were their any prevalent influences or inspirations floating around your head when you were writing Give'em Hell?

Anybody have any Noir style flicks to recommend while we wait for Malone? Always enjoyed watching movie stars like Kirk Douglas, Humphrey Bogart, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster and Lee Marvin play in the low budge B-flicks before making it to the big, studio leagues.

Bogart's Key Largo is always a favorite but he was in the big time by then.

I'm kinda stuck on the noir women of the "A" list. Anything w/ Barbara Stanwyck - Double Indemnity is the first place to start. Stanwyck is my idol. While not technically noir ,Lady Eve and Ball of Fire are great and show Stanwyck at her wicked best. If you haven't seen Joan Crawfordin Mildred Pierce or Rita Hayworth's Gilda - you must. I think Faye Dunaway was the last actress who could channel the same energy these women did - i.e. Bonnie & Clyde & Chinatown. My other idol is Raquel Welch - crazy - I know. Does anyone know if Welch did a noir film in her prime?

I am really excited to see it at LBCC, since I missed the first preview. I did have the opportunity to speak with Mark Hosack about the movie at SDCC, so I am all pumped up for the LBCC to get here already.

Mike

The cameos cracked me up, from the stunt guys to actual movie stars. Were their any prevalent influences or inspirations floating around your head when you were writing Give'em Hell?

No, I had written Malone 5 years before I cut CONFESSIONS -- I mostly had Johnny Cash on my brain while writing MALONE.

Mike -- I'm glad you're gonna catch this screening -- no excuses this time!!

Bogart's Key Largo is always a favorite but he was in the big time by then.

I'm kinda stuck on the noir women of the "A" list. Anything w/ Barbara Stanwyck - Double Indemnity is the first place to start. Stanwyck is my idol. While not technically noir ,Lady Eve and Ball of Fire are great and show Stanwyck at her wicked best. If you haven't seen Joan Crawfordin Mildred Pierce or Rita Hayworth's Gilda - you must. I think Faye Dunaway was the last actress who could channel the same energy these women did - i.e. Bonnie & Clyde & Chinatown. My other idol is Raquel Welch - crazy - I know. Does anyone know if Welch did a noir film in her prime?

Key Largo was great, I'll never forget the way Lionel Barrymore says "maybe" when being questioned. Just totally owns a mundane word and turns it into a silent "F You!"

Key Largo is TOP.

I also highly recommend The Lady From Shanghai, one of my all time favorites.

Also Dark Passage. Bogey and Bacall were never better.

The Third Man, FUCK YES. Carol Reed's direction and Graham Greene's screenplay adaptation of his own book are as good as it gets.

Too many to list but start with some of the best.

- TB

I just watched The Third Man last week. Fucking amazing, that's all there is to it.

I always liked The Maltese Falcon. Bogart in his breakthrough role, and just solid story-telling all around.

Detour is another I like. I picked that up sometime last year upon hearing it was an influence on Dark Country. I actually got to see it on the big screen this Spring.

Since Mr. Bradstreet had mentioned in a different thread that it was Hannibal Pictures that kiboshed the GEHM screening at Long Beach, can we expect any good news soon???? :)

Add that with the the Facebook update that says it is with good reason...

Hoping so!

Edited: I note that on the Hannibal Pictures Website, Canada and USA are no longer on the list for available for distribution!

News! :)

Bah. Suddenly no one wants to talk about GTHM anymore.

I hope someone in the know can prove me wrong. I did find a DVD release date in my searches.

GIVE 'EM HELL MALONE Catalog Number: NEMDV11, UPC# 652405001191. Release date Jan 26,2010

If that is true, then the franchise lovers (Toy Story 3 and Pirates 4 etc...) can kiss my ass about going to see their regurgitated crap....

They did the same with Dark Country, although, it did end up on DVD, but not even close to the date Sony posted. Which site was this picked up on? From the hinting around by Mark, I'm going to geuss Malone was just picked up about a week ago, but no studio has been mentioned, at least not publicly.

Jarlath, no theatrical release is not really a bad thing for US! Here is why. It means the film doesn't have "mass market appeal" which means your average Jo Blo won't get it OR like it. Which means...it's likely a damn good movie. :)

Not that I wouldn't dig seeing Malone on the big screen, but it may be seen as a kind of compliment that it's not mass schlock.

Jarlath, no theatrical release is not really a bad thing for US! Here is why. It means the film doesn't have "mass market appeal" which means your average Jo Blo won't get it OR like it. Which means...it's likely a damn good movie. :)

Not that I wouldn't dig seeing Malone on the big screen, but it may be seen as a kind of compliment that it's not mass schlock.

Oh I agree, but look at some movies and their thatrical releases. They started small and grew into a decently viewed movie.

Example:

The Hurt Locker, 2009 (Budget estimate of $11 million)

Started with four (4) theatre release domestically (North America) and grew to over 500 theatres by pure demand. It is still playing. Has earned over $12 million domestically.

While I have no problem with watching movies at home (Just got the PS3 hooked up to the 47" LCD and watched Iron Man on Blu-Ray), but I do like to see some films "Larger than Life". Which is also why I agree with some of the written comments from Mr. Jane, and Mr. Bradstreet that the mainstream companies are being idiots and not looking at anything that doesn't follow their patented "marketing formula".

Can you imagine if the following films went straight to video?

Reservoir Dogs, 1992 (basically launched Quentin Tarantino into mainstream. Initial release of 19 theatures and only expanded to 67)

The Blair Witch Project, 1999 (Opening theatre count, 27, jumped to 1000 in week 3 of release)

Brokeback Mountain, 2005 (Not my cup o tea, but initial release of 69 theatres and peaked at over 2000)

Wow. Look, given a shot some of these otherwise low release movies turned out to be ridiculously successful.

And on the other hand they can continue to to put out horrible flops and not bat an eye because it was due to their success formula of "Star Power".

Imagine That, Meet Dave, The Adventures of Pluto Nash (Eddie Murphy)

T-Dox, Driven, Get Carter, (Sylvester Stallone)

That being said... Look at the long term success of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.... Cult Classic...

It's a tough market these days what with the average print and advertising costs for a feature film being around $20 million. That's probably double the budget of Malone. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony or whoever pick it up and will release it Direct To DVD given its cast and concept. Hopefully they'll give it a nice treatment, similar to Dark Country or Blood and Bone with featurettes and commentary. That's leaps and bounds above what Van Damme or Seagal releases get. With Mr. Jane being as proactive as he is, we might see a small release in a few theaters in Los Angeles or maybe even some screenings with Q&A's. I guess we'll just have to see. Still stoked though.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.