kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

Glad to see people are interested. I sure it was nice to see people lined up to get into your film. I'm glad to hear that the film does not stick to a specific model. Makes it too predictable.

How much screen time do you end up getting Mark? I've seen the pics when the first few were posted, but nothing since.

How much screen time do you end up getting Mark? I've seen the pics when the first few were posted, but nothing since.

I get about 20 seconds and one word. A record!

So would you say noir-camp is an accurate description of the movie?

So would you say noir-camp is an accurate description of the movie?

I'm not a big fan of the word CAMP -- only because for me personally it only harkens to mind THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW.

I think its more PULP rather than CAMP -- It's more of a graphic novel, tonally. It's certainly over the top at times -- but the comedy is DARK -- Pulpy Dark. Hows that for a genre shelf at blockbuster? Pulpy Dark.

From the characters I've seen, plus the great monolouge that Jane has in the trailer, I get vibes similar to Sin City. Sin City does go over the top, but I can't see anyone calling it camp. It just takes things from all over the map to give the reader a rollicking good time.

Both are their own beast stylistically, but I feel the same way with Malone.

Well, I brought up the noir-camp because one of the FSR fellows did an video blog reaction for Give 'em Hell, Malone. It was positive, but I really didn't know what to make of camp comment, though I don't recall him saying it's camp in a negative fashion.

I think "camp" is just one of those words where it depends on the person who hears it/reads it. It could go either way, bad or good.

I think its more PULP rather than CAMP -- It's more of a graphic novel, tonally. It's certainly over the top at times -- but the comedy is DARK -- Pulpy Dark. Hows that for a genre shelf at blockbuster? Pulpy Dark.

I saw this, I've seen it twice in various forms and that right there is absolutely accurate to my read.

Pulpy Dark. Fuckin' A right.

- TB

Yep, that's from our pal Steve Ekstrom.

I thought his review was nice and unbiased.

Took a fair run at it.

He really seemed to dig it.

I know I did ;)

- TB

PS - Thanks for the link Nilsayer

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, lets not veer too off topic with the cars. Get it? Veer.

I suppose my choice would be the same choice as Bullitt. That's been my favorite set of wheels since long before I even had a drivers license.

You just have to sign up for a "viddler" account to watch the video, by the way. Can anyone tell us if it's worth the hassle? I hate having to do that.

Glad the film is getting a decent critical response thus far. Hopefully that will be a trend.

Dig this bit of the review:

I was awash in a bevy of layered concepts—some good, some really good, and some painfully bad-turned-shockingly humorous like an ironic lead pipe to the head.

:)

It seems to me that the people who are critical of the movie tend to hate the whole thing(which is a good sign!); although it's

wise not to start fanboying about a movie I haven't seen. With regards to some of Russell's previous movies, the only one that left me feeling

that the script hadn't matched the quality of filmmaking on display was Resurrection. And that was shot in 28 days. The Audio Commentary offers you a decent insight into the making of such a film. I'd recommend it for that, and the swooshy camera effects. Are any of those present in Malone? Please say yes! It's called ramping.

Yes!

Russell did do some ramping in Malone. We shot Malone in 25 days. That was nuts.

Most of the criticism seems to be from people who think they're going to show up and get a straight film like LA Confidential. Well, the name of this film is GIVE EM HELL, MALONE -- that should tip you off that it's not gonna take itself quite as seriously.

I also liked that line about the ironic lead pipe from the reviewer. Good stuff! He got it!

My wife's having contractions and I'm on the RAW board.

I think I'm in trouble.

My wife's having contractions and I'm on the RAW board.

I think I'm in trouble.

You'll never hear the end if it, trust me ;)

Glad to hear some of the reviewers are getting what it's about.

Pulling off dark comedy and action is a tough thing (well unless your name is Shane Black).

Pulling off dark comedy and action is a tough thing (well unless your name is Shane Black).

And even that's tough for him. Look at Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I can't belive that didn't make any money. Sharp as hell.

Hosack's likely been on a newborn infant bender since last Thursday so I'll take the lead and link you HERE -To Film School Rejects' Rob Fure's fresh out of the gate review of Give 'Em Hell Malone.

Rob was in attendance Saturday night at SDCC for the world premiere screening of the film.

Of special note because FSR only had one guy at SDCC this year and Rob decided to spend the evening with us instead of getting whined, dined, and courted by other films and film studios. Thanks a TON Rob!!!!

Another positive review of this film that deserves the finishing touches it needs along with a theatrical release on at least 1000 screens.

Seriously.

One thing I'd argue with is the bit about the film being described as camp. There is humor, but it's black humor. There are one-liners, but in the style of an old black and white noir film. It's all in the spirit. This is not any kind of standard camp if that's what you choose to call it. It's a film of heart, tough luck, hard drinking, pretty dames, sleazy bad guys, sometimes brutal but always knowing exactly what it is. "Camp" seems a harsh, and ill defined category to plunk Malone into.

Yes, it's certain. I don't agree.

Still, aside from that easy label, Rob's review is pretty straight up.

- TB

Nice review, TB. Thanks for sharing that. He does get a little spoilery, but not too bad. Nice to see someone who can appreciate that when something is not quite finished, it should be judged as such and not too harshly because it isn't quite polished.

Still a very positive review and makes me hope even more that this gets a decent release and doesn't get shelved or shoved straight to DVD.

That's a pretty nice review. I have my fingers crossed for a theatrical release. Seems like a good film to take the guys to and go for drinks after. Hope this hits soon.

As for the whole 'camp' thing, I believe Fure is using the term loosely in an attempt to classify the style of film.

But I think that a lot of people can be misled by the connotation.

My clarification hopefully clears that up a little.

Such a broad term like 'camp' can often be misconstrued.

My feeling is that Fure is implying their are shades of quirk in the film, and that's true.

It's very much it's own animal.

- tB