Give 'em Hell Malone

As a continuation of my unbearably long Lincoln posters:

20090506-lincoln.jpg

Oddly enough, this is the first real full on parody I've done. I've homaged layouts before, but shyed away from being deliberate. Not that it's an insult, I simply do this for admiration. Also, first one I've actually put real movie stars and directors in the credits.

ps: That's the bus Rosa Parks encountered replacing the sweet ride from Tim's original.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had JD Black flying out my nose when I saw this the first time.

That was OK. It was the ice cube that came with it that was rather uncomfortable.

Well done xNLx.

- tb

I had JD Black flying out my nose when I saw this the first time.

That was OK. It was the ice cube that came with it that was rather uncomfortable.

Well done xNLx.

- tb

How many people can claim they caused Tim "Mother F'N" Bradstreet to sneeze hard liquer out of his nose?

Anytime Tim, anytime.

Here's them side by side, see if you can spot the difference:

20090508-compare.jpg

That's an awesome lincoln poster!!!!!! You need something for the red kiss -- something that goes with Lincoln and Rosa Parks -- Barack Obama is the next logical step -- Does anyone see a "Terrorist Fist Bump" there?

John Wilkes Booth's mustache.

Here's some more buzz from the online world that we all seem to be inhabiting these days - :lol: -

"Give `em Hell, Malone is a noir throwback film that is going to be premiering

at Cannes in a couple of weeks..."

http://screenrant.com/violent-red-band-tra...lone-kofi-7631/

and

"If you're into noir and violence and caper films..."

http://www.thebadandugly.com/2009/05/07/th...\n-city-2/

and

"With its violence, stripped down art direction and attitude, the film has a

rugged and retro noir vibe..."

http://www.kungfucinema.com/cannes-trailer...ell-malone-7074

and

"...oodles of shooting and vats of blood: surely Give 'Em Hell, Malone should be

at least a cult hit..."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=24744

Jen

PS That first one talks about Malone premiering at Cannes in a couple of weeks; I haven't been following the Cannes fest schedule. How's it shaping up? Who gets to see the 1st showing of Malone? Will any of the stars of the film be there, and/or Russell Mulcahy? Will someone fly us all to Cannes to see the film?! :P

Jen

The film is screening through the Market, not the Festival -- I'm not sure if its a public screening, it'll probably be just for distributors, certainly not the press. So there won't be any reviews. I think they're going to try to screen it for domestic distributors at the same time. I think we need to do an on-line RAW screening before anyone else sees it. That would be great.

--Mark

Yes please!! :)

I think we need to do an on-line RAW screening before anyone else sees it. That would be great.

--Mark

Oh, hell, yeah!! That would be off the freakin' chain awesome!!! You gotta try to do that, please?!! :P

And, xNLx, that Lincoln poster ROCKS!! LOVE it!! :lol:

I am just absolutely in LOVE with that Animals song at the end, Boom Boom.

I think the editor Bob Ferretti was the one who pulled that as part of the temp track for the film.

It's so ideal for this world. It's raucous, playful, but has the perfect edge. It's older (like blues inspired), but done in a fresh 60's way that totally fits the bizarre mix of eras represented by the film's overall vibe. I had to buy it on iTunes!

Perfect exit track for the trailer.

Russell wants to get it in the film for true. Smart man.

- TB

Been listening to a lot of Animals since Wed and something kept bugging me. Turns out the Yardbirds did the same song. It has it's own stoned cool, but not snappy enough for an exit track. I've found that the Animals can wear thin, but the Yardbirds, especially Over Under Sideways, Evil Hearted You, Honey in Her Hips hold up to repeated listening. I mean, how can you deny a group that spurred Jimi Page, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck?

PS - @ MF - Damn and Blast your work computer to HELL!

LOL!! You don't know how many times I've said that very thing, Tim!! I'll try to get on another computer this weekend and get a look at those titles. I bet they're great.

Finally saw that title sequence. Very cool, TB! Would be wicked of they did use that, or something like it, for the final cut. Somehow it captures the feel of Malone.

Wonder what it is? :P

The gun with the bullet casings flying was really cool, and the car was great, but I think the thing that jumped out at me was the red lips over Elsa Pataky's name. That was just great!

The film is screening through the Market, not the Festival -- I'm not sure if its a public screening, it'll probably be just for distributors, certainly not the press. So there won't be any reviews. I think they're going to try to screen it for domestic distributors at the same time. I think we need to do an on-line RAW screening before anyone else sees it. That would be great.

--Mark

Thanks for the info Mark! :D I don't know the inner workings of how a film gets distributed, so this info helps. Rock on in Cannes! B) That actually rhymes better if "Cannes" is pronounced in French. ;)

Jen

--Mark

That would be amazing. :) We are entirely unworthy.

Finally saw that title sequence. Very cool, TB! Would be wicked of they did use that, or something like it, for the final cut. Somehow it captures the feel of Malone.

Not to worry, the final version will look pretty much exactly like the animatic, only rebuilt for ultra high resolution.

The opening titles aren't by any means a breakthrough in design, but it's simple, direct, and has the throwback sensibility that we felt this needed.

And at the end of the day when you have no real budget to work with I think it's really all it needs to be.

No need for fancy 3D optical effects or shiny, digitally enhanced tricks.

- tb

• 2 weeks later...

Well. I'm obviously a bit late on the Give 'Em Hell Malone bandwagon. I must say that I am greatly impressed at the retro-esque feel of the trailers and the posters.

Hoping to hear about excellent results from the Cannes screening.

As I expected, excellent artistry by yourself Mr. Bradstreet on the posters. (On posters, I did wonder about the usage of more modern ammunition used mainly in self-loaders, versus the empty rimmed cases in the other.)

It sounds like the international market picked it up, and if I remember right, they are going look for a domestic buyer this week? I could be wrong on that one. Check out the facebook page, there are some updates there.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.