Give 'em Hell Malone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"That was....special..."

So many things to love here. The cinematography is great, the dialogue sharp, the violence bloody and adult. When the promo reel hit the net, the shoot-out felt like a Heroic Bloodshed movie (lots and lots of squibs and walls painted in blood). The new trailer definitely hits the Mike Hammer vibe. Like Mutant Chronicles, it's great to see something which feels like nothing else out there.

Great to hear your excellent feedback folks. I know a certain writer/part-time trailer editor who really appreciates it.

Speaking of that certain someone, Hosack just sent me this link to Slashfilm - http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/06/give-e...-promo-trailer/

Looks like the fire is spreading and the reaction is overwhelmingly positive.

Fuck yes.

- TB

Great trailer, Mark!

Finally we see the whole principal cast. Ving rules (Next time there is a new guy... ^^), Doug looks crazy as Matchstick and Chris Yen knows how to handle a sword, that's for sure. Good choice of music (Rusty Cage and Boom Boom, yeah!), Noir, violence, black humor and cool lines: Suck my Sinatra :D

So, whats the meaning of love?

I guess no one knows it, but everybody wants to :P

Love the grading! I hadn't expected such rich and warm colors, but I think it looks really cool. Overall everything sounds and looks very high budgety and professional.

I don't know why, but I got a whole Tex Murphy feel from it, with all the one-liners and so on. If anyone here's heard of him you'll prolly know what I mean.

Anyway, way to go Hosack! And Rusty Cage really fits. Mr. Cash adds lots of rough class to the clip, but the dialogue rocked the most, no... Ving did. ;)

Film School Rejects has picked up on the fun too!

Must See: Give ‘Em Hell Malone Redband Trailer

We're standing pretty tall at the AICN talkback thread. Always a fucking pit of vipers.

It's gotta crack you up to look at this trailer and then read some complete ass-hat's take on it.

It would be infuriating if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Still, I'd say 80% or better are digging what they've seen.

For AICN talkback, that's a pretty impressive showing.

- tb

Worth the wait. I couldn't have said that better myself. This is off the hook in every sense of the word. I think the star wars music works reeelly well. I had no idea until someone mentioned it. This one of my most anticipated films of the year Ving Rhames is glorious in that last part. The shattering glass was crazy neat. Thomas Jane is not afraid to do a small movie with guts. Really impressed.

Holy Crap!!!!!

Let me join in the praise for this! That trailer is out of this world! I was wondering when we would get a taste of some of the dialogue, and this definitely does not disappoint! WOW!! The opening monologue is killer!! I love that!

It's hard to say which part I liked best: Malone spitting fire in the guy's face, or him staring down Elsa Pataky as he delivers that speech, or Ving Rhames greeting the security guy with a fist to the face! :lol:

Loved that Ving line as he enters the elevator!

This trailer rocks, and rocks hard!! I am even more excited now than ever to see this movie!!

Glad to hear that the buzz is building and it's getting raves! Hopefully it'll keep building!

Mike V, I knew you were going to like this the moment it was confirmed that the CASH was going to stay ;)

Put me in that camp too.

Noeland, loved your post. So glad you liked what you saw. I had a feeling you'd be grinning.

Yeah, F these rubes who are making any kind of deal over the Star Wars music.

Hosack was going to remove it but I think both Russell and I may have helped convince him that it was perfect.

I know Mark didn't necessarily want to pull it but I think he was feeling conscious of the source and feared it would be too recognizable.

I've had the score for 25 plus years and I didn't pick up on what it was until he told me.

It's such a small thing to be fixating on.

These kinda guys give geeks a bad name ;)

Mark actually did remove that music for a pass but nothing even came close to the SW cue insofar as mood, timing, etc . . .

Funny, I was just reading some comments on youtube in reference to the dailies footage.

Amazing that there are people on this planet who have never heard of Bad To The Bone.

Shocking really ;)

- tb

Yeah, F these rubes who are making any kind of deal over the Star Wars music.

Hosack was going to remove it but I think both Russell and I may have helped convince him that it was perfect.

I know Mark didn't necessarily want to pull it but I think he was feeling conscious of the source and feared it would be too recognizable.

I've had the score for 25 plus years and I didn't pick up on what it was until he told me.

It's such a small thing to be fixating on.

These kinda guys give geeks a bad name ;)

I think I've watched the trailer about five or six times now. I didn't pick up on it. I'll have to go listen to the trailer again. I guess this makes me officially non-Star Wars geeky.

Amazing that there are people on this planet who have never heard of Bad To The Bone.

Shocking really ;)

My guess is they were raised in a cave in Outer Mongolia.

Mike V, I knew you were going to like this the moment it was confirmed that the CASH was going to stay ;)

Put me in that camp too.

The Cash was awesome, I personally would have liked it if that shot of Malone walking into profile was the beginning of the Cash montage, but that's just me.

I also loved that sort of Saul Bass-esque title card, is that any indication of what the actual opening credits of the film will be like or is it just a trailer thing?

"That was....special..."

So many things to love here. The cinematography is great, the dialogue sharp, the violence bloody and adult. When the promo reel hit the net, the shoot-out felt like a Heroic Bloodshed movie (lots and lots of squibs and walls painted in blood). The new trailer definitely hits the Mike Hammer vibe. Like Mutant Chronicles, it's great to see something which feels like nothing else out there.

You mean you don't think it feels like the Spirit or Sin City like some nitwits do?

Thankfully your perspective is right on :)

It just makes me weep for movie nerds when they cannot grasp a concept past anything produced more than 3 years ago.

Just one of the many reasons that people outside the US believe America's tastes are stuck in our asses.

And incidentally, one of the big reasons Hollywood continues to serve up derivative garbage at every turn.

God forbid someone attempts to create something different ;) But these fucksticks don't even see that! *

They think it IS derivative!!!

As I said, I weep . . . .

Ha, sorry, it just galls me a bit when I see such short sightedness on display.

Hey, by the way . . . Welcome to the boards MikeOutWest!!

Glad to have you.

- TB

* - Just to clarify, I'm speaking about a few arrogant finger pointers, acting like someone ripped off Frank Miller.

Cheers Tim

The thing it reminded me of most - and I guess this is showing my age - was the Mike Hammer tv show starring Stacy Keech - hard drinking, hard fighting, hard loving, not afraid to give a downer of an ending every now and then.

IMHO anyone who jumps to the Sin City, or even The Spirit (a movie I haven't seen because of the dreadful trailer - reminded me too much of Dick Tracy) can't see past the hats and the big guns. Those movies were merely adaptations of graphic novels, where as this, while it riffs off classic hard boiled detective movies, is something original (as far as I can tell).

Cheers...

You nailed it again Mike -

And never be afraid to show your age here. I do it all the time ;)

I used to watch Stacy Keach as Mike Hammer every week!!!

Was in love with his secretary, was it Velda?

Rock on.

- TB

I also loved that sort of Saul Bass-esque title card, is that any indication of what the actual opening credits of the film will be like or is it just a trailer thing?

Oh, shit Mike, somehow I missed this.

Yeah, the title card. The version in the trailer is the animatic that a fella named Paul Gross and I cooked up.

I provided Paul with all of the materials I'd designed for the opening title sequence plus my storyboards and he animated it.

Maybe I can get Mark to host the final animatic.

The full sequence is about 14 seconds long. The title card obviously comes at the end, and what you don't see is a graphic of Malone's car buzzing past the frame from right to left. It's pretty cool.

I also uploaded all of my materials to North By Northwest, they are the post production house. Right now, as we speak they are re-assembling the animatic all high res for the film. I most definitely went Saul Bass-seque with the style. It simply had to be. Luckily Russell loved the whole concept and EVERYTHING went off without a hitch. It was the quickest, cleanest job I had on this thing. Hope to give you the full look soon.

Cheers - Tim

I am hooked from second one. That first shot... when Malone fires that gun.... It's like he wanted to shoot, but didn't at the same time, or he's tired of killing or just pissed...and now I'm wondering what he's thinking, what situation brought him to that grisly action... and suddenly Malone is fucking real.

DAMN if this doesn't feel like something so bright and shiny against all the same old shit out there right now. Bravo. Love the colors, the lighting...shit the lighting is so gorgeous and just captures it. Somehow...it's subtle and bold in all the right ways. (and I don't know shit about lighting anything, but it looks too damned good to me anyway)

...It's Tom in that hat, but fuck if I forgot that the minute he clenched his teeth and fired that first shot. I'm ready to get lost in Malone's world...bring it the fuck on. HAH...Sooo good. Malone talking about Scotch....Class, style and fucking character. BOOM. Malone just made James Bond and Han Solo turn in their man-cards. AND THAT GUN! Wow.

I will anxiously wait to spam the planet once AICN posts the trailer.

thanks for sharing this early!

-Jim

Hey Jim -- Glad you liked it! AICN posted so please spam away. Yeah, James Bond, Han Solo, Bullitt, Mike Hammer, Marlowe, Malone's got a bit of 'em all in them -- but he lives in a unique world populated by creepos like Matchstick and Mauler.

So here's the full Title Sequence Tim designed:

BOOM BOOM

They are very cool, indeed.

I'm glad everyone dug the trailer -- the real star is the actors, of course. TJ chews the scenery throughout --- And that opening monologue aint the whole speech -- at any rate, thanks for following and enjoy those titles up there.

I LOVE that show!!!!!!! There's a retro station here in Pittsburgh that runs the Darren McGavin "Mike Hammer" show back to back on Sunday nights. It's friggin' great! Kolchak kicking ass! LOL

Was in love with his secretary, was it Velda?

Rock on.

- TB

That being said, are they going to screw up and only market this to the 18-25 male population?

There are a lot of boomers who don't park their butts in front of a computer screen, but would love to go out to see a movie like this on the big screen. Hopefully, they'll know how and where to place TV ads when the time comes. Maybe magazine ads as well.

BTW, I like that the red lipstick made an appearance near the end of the trailer.

Darnit! I can't see the title sequences that Tim did! They won't come up on my computer at work! But I'll see them eventually! I bet they're great, coming from TB!

Love the references to Mike Hammer here. I used to love that show, and for a while I was kind of in love with Stacy Keach, lol! But I was just a baby then, and I outgrew it. But I still love that "Hammer/Spade/Marlowe" kind of feel, and this movie has all that and then some!

I can't help but think of movies like The Maltese Falcon when I look at this. Bogie will always be one of my favorites, but I'd say Thomas Jane's Malone could give him a run for his money. :D

xNLx just pm'ed me with a mind-blowingly super-cool parody of the White Noir style B poster art.

It's an absolute fucking scream and REALLY well done.

I won't say anything else to spoil it.

You gotta post it xNLx!

- TB

PS - @ MF - Damn and Blast your work computer to HELL!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.