kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

I couldn't find a thread for this flick, so thought I'd go ahead and start one.

SonoftheDark posted a similar link on the Thomas Jane thread, and it has a lot of good info on it.

http://www.hannibalpictures.com/flash/hannibal.html

click on "coming soon" at the bottom of the page

They need to update the director, though.

k-skye

The cast is great!

By cons, I read on the Internet that the film will not come out in theaters, but only dvd ... :blink:

http://www.toutlecine.com/cinema/l-actu-ci...tres-prive.html

I just read the plot synopsis at the Hannibal Pictures page, and it sounds fantastic! I'm anxious to see how the rest of the cast is going to be filled out and who will be playing Murph, Evelyn, Whisper, Monsieur Blanc, and even Malone's mom. :D

The plot sounds very reminiscent of a Quentin Tarantino styled action flick, ala True Romance, Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. I am lovin' that!

Can't wait to hear more about this. I hope it doesn't go straight to DVD. This sounds like it could be another cult classic like True Romance, which did very poorly in theaters, but became a favorite on dvd. But this sounds like a movie that needs to be seen on the big screen, for sure.

By cons, I read on the Internet that the film will not come out in theaters, but only dvd.

Dark Country had a $3 Million budget and SONY might dump that on DVD.

I'm hoping this film costs at least $15 Million+ so the studio won't even consider Straight to Video.

-TL

TL- I'm hoping this film costs at least $15 Million+ so the studio won't even consider Straight to Video.

According to the studio's site, it's got a $10 million budget, so maybe they'll push it into theaters.

Dark Country had a $3 Million budget and SONY might dump that on DVD.

I'm hoping this film costs at least $15 Million+ so the studio won't even consider Straight to Video.

Given that Outlander (shaping up to be my guilty pleasure of the year) cost $47 million and stars Jim Caviezel, John Hurt and Ron Perlman (as well as the luminous Sophia Myles) is reportedly getting released straight to DVD (despite positive reviews), I think Malone could easily end up not being released theatrically on a wide scale, depending on it's commercial viability.

I'm not a troll or a nay-sayer, but sadly this is just the way the film industry is leaning at the moment. Corporations really really want to be sure of a films income potential before commiting huge amounts of money to a marketing campaign to open a film wide.

It's a sad state of affairs when people generally only go to see films that have been aggressively marketed, rather than say, read reviews etc... Hopefully the internet will continue to change that (so easy to put trailers online), generating 'buzz' for lesser known/marketed films.

That all being said, if Malone gets released, I'll be first in line to see it at my cinema :)

I agree with you a great deal.

If a film is questionable the studio usually leans towards Straight to Video these days.

Unfortunately sometimes the film in question may be very good and the studio simply feels it won't make any money.

Punisher: Warzone cost an alleged $34 Million and the studio is considering making it Straight to Video after getting a bad response from Trailers.

-TL

$20 Million according to Wiki, but either way from the trailer I saw, the money didn't seem to make it on to the screen.

It pains me to think of the Punisher sequel we should have had. :(

That all being said, if Malone gets released, I'll be first in line to see it at my cinema :)

Me too of course ! :D

Briefly, I hope that the distribution will not be as chaotic that for "mutant chronicles" and "killshot" ... <_<

well we're shooting the film anamorphic, so that should tell ya something right there.

rarely (although it happens) do they make movies hoping they go straight to DVD. there are companies for that, but none i've worked with so far (thank god.) when we spend 10 mil to make a film, we are damn hopeful that it goes theatrically. if nothing else, this helps enormously with the - you guessed it - dvd sales. it's only when they turn out bad that the curse of the STV strikes down many a well intentioned film. looks like KILLSHOT is going to be my first.

MUTANT is still fighting for a shot at the big screen, and i think it really deserves it. in a different market it would have gotten a good release already. Pressman produced THE CROW, and he likes to say that no one in town would touch it forever, before it became an international hit.

Weirdly, I've been offered a lot of bigger budget films and turned them down, cause i though they were crap. these films are definitely coming out big screen, but i just don't give a shit about them. these little films have been turning me on lately. why? you can do whatever the fuck you want. bleak endings, twisted characters - insane directors - they take CHANCES. the down side is that you take a film like GEHM and you finish it and hope for a distributor like LG or the Weinstein co or Sony to coma along and pick it up. and whether they do often has little to do with how good it is. sometimes they are just looking for that kind of film at that time. the only way to beat this is by making something so undeniably good that they can't say no.

The market is really changing. just look at the Indie scene. the good festivals are complaining that there is precious little to show this year and next. the smaller, riskier, often GUTSIER film, for better or worse, is becoming an endangered species. Hence my passion for them. at least for now, until I can't pay for the Maser.

Here's the press release for GEHM - going out on Tues:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

HANNIBAL PICTURES AND CONTINENTAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP

Announce the first time collaboration of Russell Mulcahy, Thomas Jane and Ving Rhames.

Los Angeles – August 29, 2008 – Russell Mulcahy has signed on to direct the action film

“GIVE ‘EM HELL, MALONE”, starring Thomas Jane as the title character and Ving Rhames as

his rival, “Boulder”. Malone, tough private eye, takes a job retrieving a case containing a

mysterious secret. Bullets, fists, and blood fly as he fights through an army of thugs to protect the

secret.

The film, from a screenplay by Mark Hosack, will be produced by Richard Rionda Del Castro

(“Giallo”, “Crime Spree”), along with Richard Salvatore (“My Mom’s New Boyfriend”), and his

partner Johnny Martin, who brought the project along to fruition and will over see production for

Hannibal Pictures. Cam Cannon and Hayley Magourik from Hannibal Pictures are supervising

production. Martin Barab, Oscar Generale, and Armand Speca will executive produce with

Walter Josten and Jeffrey Geoffray of Blue Rider Pictures.

Hannibal Pictures will act as the worldwide sales agent for the film and William Morris

Independent is co-representing with Hannibal for US rights.

North By Northwest, represented by Richard Cowan, will handle production services, with

Continental Entertainment Group co-financing. "Give ‘em Hell, Malone" is set to go into

production in Spokane, Washington on October 6, 2008, and will be delivered in Summer 2009.

Jane, known for his acclaimed performance in “Stander", starred most recently in "The Mist",

“The Punisher”, and “Dreamcatcher”. He just wrapped production on “The Mutant Chronicles”

and is in post-production on "Dark Country”, which he also directed in 3D. Rhames is known for his

stirring performance in “Pulp Fiction”, and as Luther, the expert hacker in the “Mission:

Impossible” franchise.

Russell Mulcahy most recently directed “The Scorpion King 2: The Rise of a Warrior” for

Universal Pictures and the hit “Resident Evil: Extinction” for Sony Screen Gems. His credits also

include the cult classic “Highlander”.

Mulcahy is repped by manager Armand Speca, agent David Saunders of APA, and attorney Eric

Hyman of Loeb & Loeb. Reps for Thomas Jane in the deal are agents Cassian Elwes of William

Morris, and Matt DelPiano of CAA. Ving Rhames is repped by Steve Muller of Innovative

Artists. Attorney Martin Barab of Hamrick & Evans is repping Hannibal Pictures.

I like Russel. he's had some stinkers like most veterans but his good stuff is really good. great imagination. passionate. good sense of style and knows his way around a camera. plus i get to have a killer fight scene with Ving. Ving actually told me that's why he wants to do the film. to fight me. all right Ving, let's get it on.

TJ

well we're shooting the film anamorphic, so that should tell ya something right there.

rarely (although it happens) do they make movies hoping they go straight to DVD. there are companies for that, but none i've worked with so far (thank god.) when we spend 10 mil to make a film, we are damn hopeful that it goes theatrically. if nothing else, this helps enormously with the - you guessed it - dvd sales. it's only when they turn out bad that the curse of the STV strikes down many a well intentioned film. looks like KILLSHOT is going to be my first.

MUTANT is still fighting for a shot at the big screen, and i think it really deserves it. in a different market it would have gotten a good release already. Pressman produced THE CROW, and he likes to say that no one in town would touch it forever, before it became an international hit.

Weirdly, I've been offered a lot of bigger budget films and turned them down, cause i though they were crap. these films are definitely coming out big screen, but i just don't give a shit about them. these little films have been turning me on lately. why? you can do whatever the fuck you want. bleak endings, twisted characters - insane directors - they take CHANCES. the down side is that you take a film like GEHM and you finish it and hope for a distributor like LG or the Weinstein co or Sony to coma along and pick it up. and whether they do often has little to do with how good it is. sometimes they are just looking for that kind of film at that time. the only way to beat this is by making something so undeniably good that they can't say no.

The market is really changing. just look at the Indie scene. the good festivals are complaining that there is precious little to show this year and next. the smaller, riskier, often GUTSIER film, for better or worse, is becoming an endangered species. Hence my passion for them. at least for now, until I can't pay for the Maser.

Here's the press release for GEHM - going out on Tues:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

HANNIBAL PICTURES AND CONTINENTAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP

Announce the first time collaboration of Russell Mulcahy, Thomas Jane and Ving Rhames.

Los Angeles – August 29, 2008 – Russell Mulcahy has signed on to direct the action film

“GIVE ‘EM HELL, MALONE”, starring Thomas Jane as the title character and Ving Rhames as

his rival, “Boulder”. Malone, tough private eye, takes a job retrieving a case containing a

mysterious secret. Bullets, fists, and blood fly as he fights through an army of thugs to protect the

secret.

The film, from a screenplay by Mark Hosack, will be produced by Richard Rionda Del Castro

(“Giallo”, “Crime Spree”), along with Richard Salvatore (“My Mom’s New Boyfriend”), and his

partner Johnny Martin, who brought the project along to fruition and will over see production for

Hannibal Pictures. Cam Cannon and Hayley Magourik from Hannibal Pictures are supervising

production. Martin Barab, Oscar Generale, and Armand Speca will executive produce with

Walter Josten and Jeffrey Geoffray of Blue Rider Pictures.

Hannibal Pictures will act as the worldwide sales agent for the film and William Morris

Independent is co-representing with Hannibal for US rights.

North By Northwest, represented by Richard Cowan, will handle production services, with

Continental Entertainment Group co-financing. "Give ‘em Hell, Malone" is set to go into

production in Spokane, Washington on October 6, 2008, and will be delivered in Summer 2009.

Jane, known for his acclaimed performance in “Stander", starred most recently in "The Mist",

“The Punisher”, and “Dreamcatcher”. He just wrapped production on “The Mutant Chronicles”

and is in post-production on "Dark Country”, which he also directed in 3D. Rhames is known for his

stirring performance in “Pulp Fiction”, and as Luther, the expert hacker in the “Mission:

Impossible” franchise.

Russell Mulcahy most recently directed “The Scorpion King 2: The Rise of a Warrior” for

Universal Pictures and the hit “Resident Evil: Extinction” for Sony Screen Gems. His credits also

include the cult classic “Highlander”.

Mulcahy is repped by manager Armand Speca, agent David Saunders of APA, and attorney Eric

Hyman of Loeb & Loeb. Reps for Thomas Jane in the deal are agents Cassian Elwes of William

Morris, and Matt DelPiano of CAA. Ving Rhames is repped by Steve Muller of Innovative

Artists. Attorney Martin Barab of Hamrick & Evans is repping Hannibal Pictures.

I like Russel. he's had some stinkers like most veterans but his good stuff is really good. great imagination. passionate. good sense of style and knows his way around a camera. plus i get to have a killer fight scene with Ving. Ving actually told me that's why he wants to do the film. to fight me. all right Ving, let's get it on.

TJ

If they ever put Barracuda on the big screen, I always thought Rhames would be a pretty good candidate to play him...now he's going up against someone who i still look at as the best Punisher ever cast...This is like a dream come true for me...Punisher vs. Barracuda im there!

TJ

Look out, Tom. Ving may be a bit old now, but I guess he can still pack a "phantom punch" :P

Hallo, Mr. Jane

I'm really looking forward to see your new flick.

I've got a few questions on "Give 'em Hell Malone".

I know its a little to early but maybe you know already how this movie should be.

1. Would you prefer a PG13 or the risky R-Rating. (I would fully understand if the movie would get PG13. Today films like Terminator Salvation or Punisher Warzone are made for Kids. :lol: )

2.What about a female cast. Which with one would you like to work. (What about your pretty wife. I think it would be really cool)

3.How is the action sequences going to be? Something like "Crank", "Shoot Em Up" or more realistic like in "Heat".

I just hope that it wont be like in "The Bourne Trilogy". I dont like the abrupt fast groggy action.

But whatever you prefer I believe that "Give 'Em Hell Malone" will be a good entartaining movie.

PS: In Thursday your are really brilliant. It would be cool if your new flick would have a little black humor.

MCEDIU

Hallo, Mr. Jane

I'm really looking forward to see your new flick.

I've got a few questions on "Give 'em Hell Malone".

I know its a little to early but maybe you know already how this movie should be.

1. Would you prefer a PG13 or the risky R-Rating. (I would fully understand if the movie would get PG13. Today films like Terminator Salvation or Punisher Warzone are made for Kids. :lol: )

2.What about a female cast. Which with one would you like to work. (What about your pretty wife. I think it would be really cool)

3.How is the action sequences going to be? Something like "Crank", "Shoot Em Up" or more realistic like in "Heat".

I just hope that it wont be like in "The Bourne Trilogy". I dont like the abrupt fast groggy action.

But whatever you prefer I believe that "Give 'Em Hell Malone" will be a good entartaining movie.

PS: In Thursday your are really brilliant. It would be cool if your new flick would have a little black humor.

MCEDIU

lotsa black humor. got a kinda noir feel to it, like sin city but more realistic. looking at girls now. let you know who is cast. 'R' rating as of now. hope it stays that way!

I never cared for Rodriguez, she was so damn fucking annoying on Lost. I wanted Mr. Eko to bludgeon her to death with his Jesus stick.

She's really only good at one type of role imo...but its fun watching her be a badass...Which I think she probably will be (again) if she's in this movie.

lotsa black humor. got a kinda noir feel to it, like sin city but more realistic. looking at girls now. let you know who is cast. 'R' rating as of now. hope it stays that way!

Thomas, what kind of actresses are you looking at for the role of Evelyn? Will there be a romantic attachment between she and Malone, or will he be more of a father figure to her? Are you looking for younger actresses for the part and is there anyone in particular you would like to play opposite?

Who would you like to play Malone's mother? I kind of like Frances Sternhagen for that part. She was fantastic in The Mist.

Thank God for that,I hope it stay an rated R:)

don't think so. but i'm hoping that my pal PAUL RUEBENS does a part...

It's always nice to see Paul on screen. He was excellent in Blow and too funny in The Tripper.

Guest FADoss
don't think so. but i'm hoping that my pal PAUL RUEBENS does a part...

He is one talented guy! When did you guys meet? Tripper?

Fred

He is one talented guy! When did you guys meet? Tripper?

Fred

They were both in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the movie. That's my guess.

k-skye

Guest FADoss

Kwiat,

I was in Transformers, but never met Shia...or Ms. Fox. Not sure that they ever did a scene together (been so long since I've seen Buffy...at least 3 years) so they may never have met, but could have.

Might have met off set just hanging at the same establishments as well. We're probably both wrong. :)

Fred