Sign in to follow this  
origin1950

JASON STATHAM AS DAREDEVIL

Brought over from the Embarrassment of Daredevil thread

This is Statham's Comicon interview with George Roush, they were sitting next to Frank Miller...

GR: "Could a British actor wear the red horns of the Man Without Fear?"

JS: "Absolutely, just give me the chance, I would love to be Daredevil."

GR: "What about Bullseye? You don't think you'd make a better Bullseye?"

JS: "Forget Bullseye, I want to be Daredevil!!!"

FM: "I think he should be Daredevil too."

After seeing Statham in LONDON with Chris Evans, I can definitely see him doing Matt Murdock justice.

stathamkj3.jpg

Ben Affleck blows ass and should be banned from cinema in every context.

Bring on Statham.

-TL

I'm sorry but I really don't want to see this. I have only liked Statham in 5 films. Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels. Snatch. Revolver. Crank. London. I don't see him as Daredevil and I don't see him anywhere near a comicbook franchise. I like action films as much as the next but I also like actors with range. This guy is almost the same person in every film and hasn't proved me wrong besides those 5 films.

The only thing I liked about the first film was Colin Farrell as Bullseye and I really don't want to see someone trying to replace him.

If you want a reboot, how about rebooting the Superman franchise or Spawn, I want to see a fuckin' Spawn film.

JO

Statham is a guy I can take or leave. I thought The Bank Job was good, same as Lock, Stock and Snatch.

I do agree with you James on the Spawn reboot. There is so much potential for the character and so many diffrent stories. I can't figure out why McFarlane is dragging his feet on this one. It really pissed me off when they ditched the relaunch of the animated series as well.

Statham is a guy I can take or leave. I thought The Bank Job was good, same as Lock, Stock and Snatch.

I do agree with you James on the Spawn reboot. There is so much potential for the character and so many diffrent stories. I can't figure out why McFarlane is dragging his feet on this one. It really pissed me off when they ditched the relaunch of the animated series as well.

McFarlane is in talks to do a reboot but I don't know what's up with it. I'd love to see that fuckin' film. There is so much they could do with that character. With McFarlane writing and the right cast & director it would kill.

I loved the original animated series. Just bought the 4 disc steelcase, amazing.

To me The Bank Job was basically The Transporter 3 except different name. Am I the only one that thought that? And the new Transporter? I don't think I'll visit that one. I got to see Death Race for free since my work had free 1st screening tickets. It was an alright flick but Statham was himself. I saw The Transporter written all over that performance. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guy, I mean he isn't Justin Timberlake trying to act but he just hasn't really impressed me. The only thing this guy is coming out with that I want to see is Crank: High Voltage. Other than that he's not on my radar.

JO

I can see where people think that The Bank Job is similar to The Transporter, but I thought there was more going on in TBJ.

For me, the big thing that really pulled me out of The Transporter was the crappy CG. Yeah, it's rediculous car stunts, and yeah, I expected there to be CG, but it was pretty bad. I don't know why, but I have a high tolorence for bad practical effects, but bad CG gets under my skin.

As for Spawn movie, I hear you on that. They just need to go all out, hard R. In the original, the alley scene with Violator was good, the rest, not so much. The animation thing has not had an update since the end of 2005. Too bad, the trailer they had looked good, and they had Keith David back.

If Statham ever did out on the horns, I'd like to see Typhoid Mary as a villian. Maybe bring back Collin as Bullseye, but I think Typhoid Mary would give the film much more dynamic.

If Statham ever did out on the horns, I'd like to see Typhoid Mary as a villian. Maybe bring back Collin as Bullseye, but I think Typhoid Mary would give the film much more dynamic.

If they had Colin back I'd be on board. The scene after the credits where he nails the fly with the paper clip sold me on him as Bullseye, besides the obvious attitude and charisma he brought to the character. And Typhoid Mary, excellent. Just what I was thinking. She would be fuckin' creepy and deadly. Perfect mix. ;)

JO

I can see where people think that The Bank Job is similar to The Transporter, but I thought there was more going on in TBJ.

For me, the big thing that really pulled me out of The Transporter was the crappy CG. Yeah, it's rediculous car stunts, and yeah, I expected there to be CG, but it was pretty bad. I don't know why, but I have a high tolorence for bad practical effects, but bad CG gets under my skin.

As for Spawn movie, I hear you on that. They just need to go all out, hard R. In the original, the alley scene with Violator was good, the rest, not so much. The animation thing has not had an update since the end of 2005. Too bad, the trailer they had looked good, and they had Keith David back.

To me John Leguizamo was the best part of the flick, this is back when he was more of a character actor then he is now, which is a cash in.

JO

Ok guys, enough SPAWN.

Now as for Statham as DAREDEVIL...

The Bank Job was a fantastic movie.

One of the best throwbacks I've seen in years and with a very good feel of 1971.

Brings back memories of a younger Michael Caine.

David Suchet was awesome, Colin Salmon's 5 minutes were an affirmation to his acting talent and Statham OWNED.

The Transporter films are video action - but who cares?

Everyone here knows what a surprise Louis Leterrier's Incredible Hulk movie was.

A much better Hulk movie overall and a very serious take by a guy that doesn't have a reputation for making serious action films.

Its not as if FOX is gonna greenlight an ultra serious Daredevil movie anyway.

I'll take a good action Daredevil movie over that mediocre piece of crap Johnson conceived in 2002.

Statham's got two big films coming out - CRANK 2: High Voltage and The Transporter 3.

Those movies WILL bank, and since they didn't cost much to make its a win/win situation.

Putting Stathman on the forefront of a DAREDEVIL reboot is a very smart financial move by FOX.

Specially if it has Frank Miller's approval - the man who said Mickey Rourke IS Marv the moment he met him.

Farrell will NOT be returning. That's one of the reboot "laws" in MARVEL.

-TL

Its not as if FOX is gonna greenlight an ultra serious Daredevil movie anyway.

-TL

I'd wish someone at Fox would see that this really needs to be the case. Daredevil IS a tourtured soul. Miller's stuff is legend. People like to slag on Bendis, but I thought his run was excellent.

I agree completely.

DAREDEVIL should be rebooted into a serious vigilante movie.

Or at least an Incredible Hulk type of MARVEL movie.

Problem is - Nolan won't be directing, MARVEL won't be producing and Hugh Jackman won't be playing Wolverine in it.

This will be a good action film that will do its best to erase the memory of Johnson's crapola.

That's all.

-TL

I think that was one of the biggest problems with Johnson's DAREDEVIL.

The overemphasis on Murdock's lawyer/detective tactics.

BORING.

The best rendition of Daredevil in years was done by Garth Ennis in the Marvel Knights story Confederacy of Dunces.

Its Daredevil vs The Punisher.

And Murdock is as BAD as Castle.

Mean, pissed off, fed up with Castle's bullshit, annoyed by Spider Man's gayness.

That's the Daredevil I can see Jason Statham playing.

The "bad motherfucker" Daredevil.

The "frustrated with society's bullshit" Daredevil.

A man two steps shy of becoming The Punisher.

Affleck's Daredevil was a pussy.

Ennis' Daredevil is definitely the right fit for Statham.

-TL

If we had a poll for this one I would vote, I'm not gonna' pay a dime to watch this!

Not even DVD. I'd maybe catch the cable release if the word of mouth was decent.

Statham hasn't made a good flick in forever (haven't seen death race yet.) so him

attached to it doesn't do anything for me.

I don't want to come across as a Statham hater though. I really enjoy alot of his roles. I just think he is not a good fit at all for Daredevil.

I'm feeling like a rundown of Statham's TDs and injuries over the years...

PART I: BRITAIN

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) His first film and a revelation to say the least. The guy has talent. And this was a comedy. B+

SNATCH (1999) Almost a sequel of sorts to Lock Stock. He's funny, he's cool, he's stylish, he's Turkish. Its also the film that got him to the US of A and he actually got a little violent in this one. A

Mean Machine (2000) Statham and Vinnie Jones were both conceived by Papa Guy Ritchie. That alone says alot. They should always stick together. This was Statham at his funniest and at the same time it was the beginning of his dark side. B

PART II: AMERICA

Turn It Up (2000) WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT. Man's gotta make a living though. He wasn't exactly Tom Cruise at this point. F-

Ghosts of Mars (2001) Carpenter's worst movie, but Natasha Henstridge is a wet dream in it and all Statham does for 2 hours is attempt to get some of that. Like I said, he wasn't exactly Jason Statham at that point. D

The One (2001) Its a Jet Li movie I can't say much about. Statham had some REALLY cheesy lines in it, but the role wasn't completely terrible. C

PART III: RECOGNITION

The Transporter (2002) Louis Leterrier and Luc Besson see a combination of 007, Bruce Willis and Jean Claude Van Damme in ONE. They make him the star of what would be the first of many modern day action burgers. This film is kickass despite its cheesy implications. Its actually better than all the rest because it has a hint of Besson in it. B+

The Italian Job (2003) Statham rides back seat to bad motherfucker Mark Wahlberg in this one. Its interesting seeing him in this movie after you've seen him in his solo action vehicles. Kinda like seeing Swayze in The Outsiders. C+

CELLULAR (2004) Statham plays the villain in this Chris Evans torcher. I REALLY LIKE THIS MOVIE. Its simple, Jessica Biel is just askin to be eaten, Evans is at his best, Statham is Statham. Not bad for something directed by a stunt coordinator turned director. B

PART IV: OLD HABITS DIE HARD

The Transporter 2 (2005) Not as good as the first one, but ten times more generic and 50 times more like a European commercial for after shave. Its enjoyable but nothing worth callin your brother for. Statham is more liberated in this one being set lose in Fort Lauderdale. The Besson vibe is long gone now. C+

LONDON (2005) The runt of the litter. This movie truly doesn't fit with the rest of them, but then again this was shot the year Papa Guy Ritchie asked The Statham to come home for work. Chris Evans and Jason Statham take a walk from their usual popcorn selves and actually make a movie. To make things even more absurd (in a good fashion) Jessica Biel is also in this and she's great! What the fuck. Great move for the guy by going back to basics, but still throwing a few punches in the film to keep the image going. B+

REVOLVER (2005) Statham returns to his roots, and thanks to Madonna - they don't work all that well. He's great in this, but the movie isn't all that great. Ritchie needs a divorce. C+

CHAOS (2005 - Straight to Video) It happens to the best of us. Fuckin Vinnie Jones ended up doing a supporting role in a Steven Seagal video crapola where Seagal's voice is dubbed cause he's too fat to speak into a mic. This movie shoulda been in theatres though. Its kinda good except for the HORRIBLE Wesley Snipes. The clean cut Statham is really trying hard here to play a negotiator with a bad rep and a hidden agenda. C

PART V: REDEMPTION?

CRANK (2006) "My name is Chev Chelios and today is the day I die." This is the Jason Statham movie we had to wait 5 years to see since he arrived here in the States. An indirect adaptation of Grand Theft Auto (yeah the game) it suits him sooo perfectly you can't help but enjoy this very wired up, coked up movie. Its silly, violent, sexy, its my kinda movie. Alotta people feel this one redeemed Statham after a few years of played out junk. I always liked him, so this was just a bonus. A

WAR (2007) What shoulda been a great film - wasn't. The focus was put primarily on Jet Li when it shoulda been an equal share to both. The film wants you to shit on Statham. It still has its moments, but he kinda went back a few steps with this one. C-

In The Name Of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2008) OH GOD JASON. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE. RAY LIOTTA WHAT THE FUCK??? D

The Bank Job (2008) THANK GOD JASON. THANK GOD. This is a kickass throwback to the old British capers of the 70s. Its set in 1971 and has a fantastic feel for the time period. Roger Donaldson COMPLETELY got my support back with this one. I mean, this guy must have watched EVERY early 70s Michael Caine crime thriller to get this thing right. He toned down Statham to the point that you feel this is the next step after SNATCH. He's back on earth in this one and far from his gravity defying kicks. David Suchet is a pleasure to watch as well - even though Jason starts kickin him for a while. Literally. A-

*Haven't seen DEATH RACE yet, but it smells kinda...Statham.

In the end, the guy is an action star with some charisma.

That's the reason people like him, that's the reason the guy's rich and no longer starving under the Queen's rule.

He didn't go to any fancy arts institute or Royal Academy.

Guy Ritchie spotted a cool guy that he felt people would connect with.

He was right.

And why not have a DAREDEVIL people can connect with?

-TL

Guest FADoss

Cellular was ASS...F in spite of a good cast.

Transporter 2 was absolute crap as well...D

Fred

Ben Affleck blows ass and should be banned from cinema in every context.

Bring on Statham.

-TL

lol, I'm not sure why Affleck gets hated on so much. I actually think dude's pretty funny, and he's a decent actor. Not GREAT, but I think he's been pretty good in a few films (Bounce and Good Will Hunting are two). Chasing Amy as well.

Plus he did a damn good job directing Gone Baby Gone last year.

Guest FADoss
lol, I'm not sure why Affleck gets hated on so much. I actually think dude's pretty funny, and he's a decent actor. Not GREAT, but I think he's been pretty good in a few films (Bounce and Good Will Hunting are two). Chasing Amy as well.

Plus he did a damn good job directing Gone Baby Gone last year.

Ben gets a bad wrap because he picks BAD scripts. He needs to get his Tom Jane on and start saying NO!!!

Fred

I like JASON STATHAM

but DAREDEVIL would be a farcry for his traditional running around with his bald head, grizzle and angry face...

These days, there are a lot of new sources for news and scoops and one of the oddest ones might be the local comic shop who have become the go-to place for actors hoping to get coveted roles in the latest superhero movie.

The blog for the Los Angeles-based store Golden Apple Comics spotted one such actor when "Battlestar Gallactica" star Katee Sackhoff went there to buy every single comic featuring Typhoid Mary she could get her hands on with "hopes to get a part for a marvel movie."

Comic fans will realize right away that Typhoid Mary is the longtime foe (and lover) of Marvel's Daredevil, a mutant with a multiple personality who develops various powers depending on which personality inhabits her at the time. She was created by Ann Nocenti and John Romita Jr., first appearing in their run with Daredevil #254.

That makes one wonder whether Marvel Studios are already looking into possibly relaunching Daredevil on the big screen, following the Mark Steven Johnson version starring Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner, which came out in 2003. Natassia Malthe played Typhoid in the 2005 spin-off Elektra with Garner. Typhoid also appeared in the early "Deadpool" comics, so this might be for the Deadpool spin-off with Ryan Reynolds.

Check out Golden Apple's blog post here and decide for yourself whether Marvel is setting their sights on relaunching Daredevil like they did with The Incredible Hulk last year, and then let us know how you feel about it below.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=55775