Tim Bradstreet

The Art Of Joe Jusko

Awwwwww. I have such a severe case of the warm fuzzies after reading this! I had forgotten how many years ago those covers were done until I started putting the book together. 25 years ago! Where did all those years since go? Man I'm feeling creaky in the knees. Thanks for the superbly flattering compliments! Definitely feeling the love! :-)

First landed in Erie in '87, been in and out of the tri-state area til about 2000. I miss the change off seasons—but not scraping snow off my windshield at 6:00am. lol

Anyway, didn't know Docksiders was still around... was always more of a Plymouth guy, myself or that Irish pub across from the museum... drank many a quarter-draft in there... :P

But to get back on topic, Joe has been going great guns on his deviantart page (http://joejusko.deviantart.com). Looking at all those classic Conan covers and the newly discovered work just has me beside myself with grief! The man has forgotten about more great art that he did than many artists will ever do... and he's not even 50!

When Jusko was creating all that art in the early 80's which was defining my childhood and ultimately my life—Joe was just a kid himself!! My god, the man is a National monument.

I love you Joe!!*

*In the most admirable sense .

Speaking of wiping the corners of your mouth ;)

Joe, that stuff is Dyn O Mite!

Noeland, check out that deviant art link of Joe's to get more of that gorgeous and creamy black and white style you were drooling over!

- tb

PS - P Silver has long been my Tequila of choice. But if I'm in a sippin' mood I also like to go with the Don Julio Blanco. It's got a smooth peppery finish that puts you in the mood to eat something good. Which is always a wise idea when you're sitting around getting smashed on good liquor ;)

wow.

I don't want to come off like an alcoholic, but all this talk of good tequila is getting me stoked. Both the Patron and the Don Julio leave me feeling "lovely" and without any nausea hang-over symptoms. My only problem is that I think I'm wearing a red "S" cape after a few rounds, which has led to missing teeth, misappropriated pool cues and bar furniture about my cranium. lol

Okay, back on topic: Joe's black and white art/light washes stuff.

HO-LEE- SHIT. That Leia slave girl pic is jaw-dropping. I-I never knew you "brought the pain" like that, Mr. J! *choke*

To be clear, I'm not shocked (or even surprised) that you can do this type of work... I guess the feeling is more of pleasant reaffirmation...

Speaking of wiping the corners of your mouth ;)

Joe, that stuff is Dyn O Mite!

Noeland, check out that deviant art link of Joe's to get more of that gorgeous and creamy black and white style you were drooling over!

- tb

PS - P Silver has long been my Tequila of choice. But if I'm in a sippin' mood I also like to go with the Don Julio Blanco. It's got a smooth peppery finish that puts you in the mood to eat something good. Which is always a wise idea when you're sitting around getting smashed on good liquor ;)

Guest AdminGuyX

Wow, Joe the page is absolutely amazing. Love seeing some of your covers without the trade dress. And this piece in particular I'd not seen before.

Megan_from_100_BULLETS_by_JoeJusko.jpg

I'd love to see more like this, but I'm a sucker for this high contrast stuff. I just can't get enough.

Also loved seeing this in vivid RGB!!

Nick_Fury__Agent_of_SHIELD_by_JoeJusko.j

Like I said in the bad planet thread Joe, my eyes are melted.

Thanks for the link Tim.

Now . . . need that artbook!!

;)

Twas Gunplanet who provided the URLs - I just made it a link and then doubled up on the affirmation ;)

- TB

Noeland,

Thanks, man! That was a fun piece! I was trying to be faithful to the feel of the book. I very seldom get a chance to work in that style, and would LOVE to do more. The Fury piece is a fave, too, especially since Steranko really liked it!

On another note, I haven't had a chance to catch War Zone, yet, but plan to tomorrow. I'll letcha know what I think.

Well, I know where my friends are, that's for sure! :-) Glad you guys are diggin' the gallery. BTW, Tim, I spoke to Pruett today. Our books are a bit delayed by the new printer. You're looking at early January and I'm looking at late Jan. I was REALLY hoping for Christmas. :-( I don't think he'll be using this printer again.

Twas Gunplanet who provided the URLs - I just made it a link and then doubled up on the affirmation ;)

- TB

That printer ought to be fucking drawn and quartered.

They had my book just sitting there for 3 months while Joe tried to get a quote out of them.

Wasn't happy with the way my tip-in sheet printed either.

Though Joe assures me that the book will print fine.

It fuckin' A better or I'll fly to Korea myself and give their wives something to hang their towels on.

- TB

I specifically asked him today if he had seen proofs yet. He said he saw yours and it looked good. Mine is supposedly coming in next week. Bad sign with the tip in plate. If my book doesn't look as good as the Bolland and Russell books I'm gonna be really upset. I wasn't exactly thrilled when I heard he was changing printers. That's "heart in your mouth" until you see the finished product. No fault of Joe's, but they're obviously an unknown quantity.

That printer ought to be fucking drawn and quartered.

They had my book just sitting there for 3 months while Joe tried to get a quote out of them.

Wasn't happy with the way my tip-in sheet printed either.

Though Joe assures me that the book will print fine.

It fuckin' A better or I'll fly to Korea myself and give their wives something to hang their towels on.

- TB

I must have read this 15 times over... verges on Hai Ku. :lol:

It fuckin' A better or I'll fly to Korea myself and give their wives something to hang their towels on. - TB

Anyway, I really hope the final printed product is immaculate and does the work justice (in both instances).

There was a Bolland book mentioned. Is the one being referred to the over-sized black and white collection of Dredd strips that came out a few years ago or is there another one?

Different book. It's called "The Art of Brian Bolland" from Desperado Publishing. Big career retrospective.

I must have read this 15 times over... verges on Hai Ku. :lol:

Anyway, I really hope the final printed product is immaculate and does the work justice (in both instances).

There was a Bolland book mentioned. Is the one being referred to the over-sized black and white collection of Dredd strips that came out a few years ago or is there another one?

Joe, you are so skilled at drawing beautiful, powerful women, does your inspiration come from your childhood? Were you raised among strong women?

I just draws 'em the way I likes 'em. :-)

Joe, you are so skilled at drawing beautiful, powerful women, does your inspiration come from your childhood? Were you raised among strong women?

Who are your favorite artists?

Where do I start? While most would think Frazetta, Boris and most fantasy guys, I like a lot of old paperback guys from the 60's like Bob Abbett, Bob McGinnis, Ron Lesser, Robert Maguire and fine artists like Steve Hanks (LOVE him) and wildlife guys like Simon Combes and John Seerey Lester. The list is endless.

Who are your favorite artists?

So when did you know that this was what you wanted to do? Was it any one particular moment or just a building up of the process? When you saw your work published for the first time, where were you and what did you think? Were you satisfied or critical of yourself?

The promo reel for my Creator Chronicles DVD is up. I'm finding it excruciating to watch myself on camera but the tutorial seems to play pretty well.

The promo reel for my Creator Chronicles DVD is up. I'm finding it excruciating to watch myself on camera but the tutorial seems to play pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8h1Mo9UD6Q

Thank you so much Joe; I am going to forward it along. You spoke exactly like I thought you would... :lol:

True New Yorker!!

Thanks, Tiara, but it's horrifying to listen to! LOL

Thank you so much Joe; I am going to forward it along. You spoke exactly like I thought you would... :lol:

True New Yorker!!

Thanks, Tiara, but it's horrifying to listen to! LOL

I learned a lot Joe; and I think everybody wants to be doing something they truly love, and I picked that up immediately watching this. You're still "12 until you're 80" (paraphrasing here). I loved that!

I definitely understand why many actors won't watch their own films! LOL

I learned a lot Joe; and I think everybody wants to be doing something they truly love, and I picked that up immediately watching this. You're still "12 until you're 80" (paraphrasing here). I loved that!

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing this. I always love watching artists at work since I was a kid and would watch my big brother Irish 46 sit at the drawing table, or sit and listen to my brother Tom learn new songs on his Les paul.

That time lapse thing is just for the reel right? Do we get to see you working in real time on the DVD a bit?

ABSOLUTELY!!! It's just for the reel. They had to condense 40 hours into 3, but it should work fine. I haven't seen the final cut, yet. It goes to real time for the important stuff, like the face and hair, and various details.

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing this. I always love watching artists at work since I was a kid and would watch my big brother Irish 46 sit at the drawing table, or sit and listen to my brother Tom learn new songs on his Les paul.

That time lapse thing is just for the reel right? Do we get to see you working in real time on the DVD a bit?