Tim Bradstreet

The Art Of Joe Jusko

Guest AdminGuyX

Joe, Lucas needs to take some lessons from you.

That is how you return to a piece of work years later.

Damn.

All in the book! And yeah, the original cover was mine, too.

I still get chills when I see that Hulk cover— it totally traumatized me as a kid... the recreation is quite nice, too.

If I recall correctly, the interior to that particular issue was done by the legendary Alfredo Alcala. Back in those days there was nothing finer than than picking up and issue of Hulk or Savage Sword with a Jusko cover and a Buscema interior inked by Alcala...

It's a shame we don't have anything comparable to those books today.

Hear Him, hear him!

A glass of wine with you Sir.

I give you joy of your obvious good taste!

- TB

Thanks, guys!!!! Appreciate all the kind words!!!

Been away for a bit finishing up my "Art of Joe Jusko" book from Desperado! Tim and I apparently keep good company. :-) It's set for a Christmas release and topped out at 328 pages! Tell Santa!!!

JuskoCovers1.jpg

Man, ANYTIME I had a chance to paint over Big John was a treat! He's my idol since childhood!

God I bet you had a ball working over "Jolly" John Buscema! Or however Stan Lee used to refer to him in "Stan's Soapbox".

Joe, I feel like a nit for asking, just want to be sure . . . The original The Hulk! magazine cover was also done by you right?

The repaint was your own repaint correct?

Goddamn cool.

New Conan piece is wonderful brother.

I hope all of this will be in your new book.

- TB

Please draw me...LOL

Guest AdminGuyX
Hope you like it!

Love it. The way you lit the piece is pretty damn great. The breaks in the clouds, carried through with the lighting on the ground, rocks, and her legs.

I swear, nobody does flesh tones like you do. Just amazing.

Thanks for sharing it Joe.

:)

Oh, this is definitely going to be a treat!

I hope this sells out, then gets reprinted successively until your grandkids are out of college, Joe...

But uuhhh... how come you didn't call it "Requiem" or "Solstice" or anything like that? :-)

Seems to be the trend for these sorts of things...

Thanks, guys!!!! Appreciate all the kind words!!!

Been away for a bit finishing up my "Art of Joe Jusko" book from Desperado! Tim and I apparently keep good company. :-) It's set for a Christmas release and topped out at 328 pages! Tell Santa!!!

JuskoCovers1.jpg

HA! Funny you mention that! As TM will attest, it's so NOT my personality to name the book something like "Godworks" or some other pretentious bullshit. I always have this image in my head of artists sweating profusely as they scan through a thesaurus searching for something profound to name their book. "Crap I've Done; the Art of Joe Jusko' would have worked, but I liked the more concise, identifiable title it has. :-) (Not that "Archtype" isn't AWESOME, Tim!) LOL If there's ever a second book I'm sure I'll come up with something more catchy than "Volume 2", though. :-)

I STILL Laugh that Wrightson's first book was named "A Look Back", like he was dead at 30. LOL

Thanks for the well wishes, BTW!!

Oh, this is definitely going to be a treat!

I hope this sells out, then gets reprinted successively until your grandkids are out of college, Joe...

But uuhhh... how come you didn't call it "Requiem" or "Solstice" or anything like that? :-)

Seems to be the trend for these sorts of things...

Oh, and just for the hell of it, here's a recent private commission. Hope you like it!

72REDSONJATotheVictor.jpg

Thank you for sharing the private commission, as well. While distracted by her beauty, I can't help but feel a foreboding that the blade in the foreground is meant for her - No! Why? Why!

Gorgeous work. I love it.

- Joanna

Yeah. That's the impression I got from our brief encounters over the years...

Not at all an assuming figure, you seemed to project a more of a blue-collar/working class type attitude (and I say that with complete respect and reverence). Now that I'm thinking of it— it's remarkable that Bradstreet hasn't pegged you to produce a piece for Bad Planet (I hate to throw that out there-not knowing if it's a contentious issue or not); but it seems obvious to me that something of that order should happen at some point...

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to this book-should be a treat.

HA! Funny you mention that! As TM will attest, it's so NOT my personality to name the book something like "Godworks" or some other pretentious bullshit. I always have this image in my head of artists sweating profusely as they scan through a thesaurus searching for something profound to name their book. "Crap I've Done; the Art of Joe Jusko' would have worked, but I liked the more concise, identifiable title it has. :-) (Not that "Archtype" isn't AWESOME, Tim!) LOL If there's ever a second book I'm sure I'll come up with something more catchy than "Volume 2", though. :-)

I STILL Laugh that Wrightson's first book was named "A Look Back", like he was dead at 30. LOL

Thanks for the well wishes, BTW!!

More an insecurity than a blue collar issue, actually. LOL

Would love to do a Bad Planet cover. Guys.........? :-)

Yeah. That's the impression I got from our brief encounters over the years...

Not at all an assuming figure, you seemed to project a more of a blue-collar/working class type attitude (and I say that with complete respect and reverence). Now that I'm thinking of it— it's remarkable that Bradstreet hasn't pegged you to produce a piece for Bad Planet (I hate to throw that out there-not knowing if it's a contentious issue or not); but it seems obvious to me that something of that order should happen at some point...

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to this book-should be a treat.

Thanks, Joanna!!!!

Thank you for sharing the private commission, as well. While distracted by her beauty, I can't help but feel a foreboding that the blade in the foreground is meant for her - No! Why? Why!

Gorgeous work. I love it.

- Joanna

Now that I'm thinking of it— it's remarkable that Bradstreet hasn't pegged you to produce a piece for Bad Planet (I hate to throw that out there-not knowing if it's a contentious issue or not); but it seems obvious to me that something of that order should happen at some point..

Joe WAS tabbed for a Bad Planet cover at one point, and then we went in a different direction for how we wanted to present them. Originally we were talking painted covers.

Not that Joe isn't capable of creating fantastic imagery in black and white, but if I/we hire Joe Jusko we want the whole fucking beautiful full-on package. We want a Jusko painting.

Joe has been a member of our extended family for a long time now. And we WILL find something interesting for him to tackle in the very near future. Perhaps the next round of Bad Planet? I'm thinking Trade cover! Gogos vol.1 and Jusko vol.2 That would be bliss ;)

No shit Joe ;)

It's pretty amazing though, by 30 the fucking bastard was already a legend.

We three need to get together SOON.

Y'know SD or LA is gonna look awful good come late January in the Iron City ;)

. . . And the bar is open at Casa del Street.

- TB

I'm such a friggin retard. I can't figure out how the Quote feature works.

I'm ready when you are for the cover, big guy.

Casa del Street sounds great, especially since I'm driving from Pittsburgh to Syracuse in a snow storm tomorrow. ^^%$#@

Joe WAS tabbed for a Bad Planet cover at one point, and then we went in a different direction for how we wanted to present them. Originally we were talking painted covers.

Not that Joe isn't capable of creating fantastic imagery in black and white, but if I/we hire Joe Jusko we want the whole fucking beautiful full-on package. We want a Jusko painting.

Joe has been a member of our extended family for a long time now. And we WILL find something interesting for him to tackle in the very near future. Perhaps the next round of Bad Planet? I'm thinking Trade cover! Gogos vol.1 and Jusko vol.2 That would be bliss ;)

No shit Joe ;)

It's pretty amazing though, by 30 the fucking bastard was already a legend.

We three need to get together SOON.

Y'know SD or LA is gonna look awful good come late January in the Iron City ;)

. . . And the bar is open at Casa del Street.

- TB

especially since I'm driving from Pittsburgh to Syracuse in a snow storm tomorrow. ^^%$#@

Poor Joe! I don't know what's worse - lake effect snow on I-79 or I-90?

Be safe!

YOU KNOW THE AREA!!!!!

That's EXACTLY the area I'm dreading; the I-80 corridor and the I-79/I-90 intersect. And I'm doing it in a Mustang!!! If no one hears from me in a week send out the dog team.

Poor Joe! I don't know what's worse - lake effect snow on I-79 or I-90?

Be safe!

YOU KNOW THE AREA!!!!!

That's EXACTLY the area I'm dreading; the I-80 corridor and the I-79/I-90 intersect. And I'm doing it in a Mustang!!! If no one hears from me in a week send out the dog team.

My in-laws are in Erie so I'll send them out with some whiskey for ya! They've been driving that area for over 40 years with rear-wheel drive so you'll be OK. Really!

Make it Patron and you have a deal! LOL

My in-laws are in Erie so I'll send them out with some whiskey for ya! They've been driving that area for over 40 years with rear-wheel drive so you'll be OK. Really!

Another Patron Silver man? That's what I'm talking about. I used to live up that way, myself (14 years in Erie and Pittsburgh). Fond memories of sliding sideways down backstreets in my Ford Tempo...

Make it Patron and you have a deal! LOL

Another Patron Silver man? That's what I'm talking about. I used to live up that way, myself (14 years in Erie and Pittsburgh). Fond memories of sliding sideways down backstreets in my Ford Tempo...

Small World! When did you live in Erie? I was there from 94-97. Married a Prep boy and learned to love the snow that wouldn't melt until April.

Maybe one day we'll all meet up in Erie and have a Patron at Docksiders!

First landed in Erie in '87, been in and out of the tri-state area til about 2000. I miss the change off seasons—but not scraping snow off my windshield at 6:00am. lol

Anyway, didn't know Docksiders was still around... was always more of a Plymouth guy, myself or that Irish pub across from the museum... drank many a quarter-draft in there... :P

But to get back on topic, Joe has been going great guns on his deviantart page. Looking at all those classic Conan covers and the newly discovered work just has me beside myself with grief! The man has forgotten about more great art that he did than many artists will ever do... and he's not even 50!

When Jusko was creating all that art in the early 80's which was defining my childhood and ultimately my life—Joe was just a kid himself!! My god, the man is a National monument.

I love you Joe!!*

*In the most admirable sense .

Small World! When did you live in Erie? I was there from 94-97. Married a Prep boy and learned to love the snow that wouldn't melt until April.

Oh, I'm in for THAT!!!!

I've converted more people to Silver in the past year! Convention bartenders LOVE me! LOL