Tim Bradstreet

The Art Of Joe Jusko

Friends and neighbors, just wanted to alert you to the new art book collection of the work of my pal and painter extraordinaire, Joe Jusko.

This book (as well as my new one) is published by Desperado. Not sure of availability yet but keep your eyes peeled.

From the Desperado site -

"For the first time ever, a volume devoted to one of the more popular fantasy/sci fi painters of the past 25 years. This book offers readers and fans a chance to witness his immense and phenomenal career from start to present, offering glimpses of previously never-before-seen material from his files and sketchbooks, his enormously popular comic work, covers and illustrations from his book publishing career, as well as beautifully reproduced images of his personal favorites and insights into his life and creative process. Brought to you by the publishing house responsible for THE ART OF BRIAN BOLLAND and THE ART OF P. CRAIG RUSSELL."

(NOVEMBER 2007) 200 pg FULL COLOR $49.99

Joe is one of my very best friends in this industry, especially cool for me as I used to fawn all over his incredible work as a youngster and a fan. His covers for Marvel's magazine format content of the early 80's first brought Joe's work to my attention. Joe is also someone we here at RAW hope to be bringing to a project in the near future.

His work on characters from the minds of Edgar Rice Burroughs to Robert E. Howard is breathtaking. From Conan, Tarzan, and Jon Carter Of Mars to Vampirella, Spiderman and beyond . . . His amazing work has been thrilling fans for over a quarter of a century. He's one of my favorite people in the business, a true professional.

This is one of my absolute favorites -

VampiTree.jpg

WOW.

- TB

Vampirella...too sweet!

That just happens to be the cover of the TPB, Vampirella Revelations. You can see it and other Vampy stuff here...

http://www.vampirella.com/

Not only do I love Jusko's work, but that is my favorite Vampy illo!

Thanks TB!

Awwwwww. Feelin' the luuuuuvvvvvv. :-)

Jusko is here...FUCKIN' AYE COOL.

HOLY SHIT JOE'S ACTUALLY HERE!

How are you buddy?

By the way.... one of my favorite pictures everrrrrrrrr

jusko_punmag10_cover.jpg

-Raffi

Guest AdminGuyX

Raffi, you beat me to the punch brother, LOVE that painting. It has what I call the "Raw Deal" MP-5 configuration. I know, it's not what that setup is really called. ;) Also just hit me, that depiction of Frank does not look unlike Ray Stephenson. All these years later. Cool.

Joe, welcome to the boards.

I could go all fanboy here, but I will surpress the need to freakout as best I can.

:)

Your work has been a big inspiration to me for many years! Thank you.

Let me first say OMG I cannot believe you are here, and welcome to the RAW family!

I love your work:

jusko_wonderwoman.jpg

jusko_castle.jpg

joe_jusko_003.jpg

joe_jusko_painting.jpg

Hey, all! Thanks for the warm welcome!!! Tim and I have been buds for a looong time! Glad to be here with him (and you)! :) BTW, the book is now over 300 pages and will be out December 2008!

Guest AdminGuyX
the book is now over 300 pages and will be out December 2008!

Oh man, that sounds amazing. I know what's going on my X-mas list!

^_^

Who else is loving the Desperado slate of books? Do you think Pruett would mind if I gave him a big hug next time I see him?

I forgot! I also have an instructional painting DVD coming out ( http://www.woodcrestproductions.com/video.html ) showing the creation of this piece from start to finish. http://cafurl.com?i=8608 Sorry! I'm not sure how to post the actual image. I'm old. :D (But not as old as Tim made me sound!) LOL

MOD EDIT: We are here but to serve:

Sheena%20reduced.jpg

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, yours is a done deal, and there are a few other DVD's I might pick up too.

VERY COOL.

Thank you for the link Joe.

] Sorry! I'm not sure how to post the actual image. I'm old. :D (But not as old as Tim made me sound!) LOL

Sheena%20reduced.jpg

I only made you sound old because you've been a pro for so fucking long ;)

How old were you when you broke in doing those Marvel Mag covers, like 17 right?

Yes, and WELCOME man. Great to have you here. And feel free to plug your book here as much as ever you want (or any other projects). We'll help!

- TB

PS - JJ, I have the PERFECT avatar for you.

Let me see if I can get it to work, if not I'll send it to you in an email and you can upload it yerself (if you want to use it that is). xoxo

And by the way . . . That Sheena piece is STUNNING.

I have to find some of the shots I used of you for Hellblazer.

There is a real good one on one of those issues.

The shot Joe is wearing as his avatar right now is from the cover of Marvel Knights Punisher #29, where he portrayed Joey "The Fork" Moscone - Deceased -

Joe, did you once tell me that your first professional gig in "the industry" was a cover for Heavy Metal? How old were you?

Oh, and by the way, when you get the posting pics thing figured out, you ought to post that Kolchak cover you did. There is a guy here wearing a Kolchak avatar, he'd filp, and so would every other Nightstalker fan here on the boards ;)

xo - TB

PS - When you get the chance take a look at the Bradstreet Pics thread, there are some fun shots of you over there.

Yeah. 17. I painted the cover the summer I graduated high school. Sold to Heavy Metal soon after. I have a scan somewhere. I'll try to dig out the Kolchak piece, too.

Cool pics! I have a couple of us that I'll send you.

I have to find some of the shots I used of you for Hellblazer.

There is a real good one on one of those issues.

The shot Joe is wearing as his avatar right now is from the cover of Marvel Knights Punisher #29, where he portrayed Joey "The Fork" Moscone - Deceased -

Joe, did you once tell me that your first professional gig in "the industry" was a cover for Heavy Metal? How old were you?

Oh, and by the way, when you get the posting pics thing figured out, you ought to post that Kolchak cover you did. There is a guy here wearing a Kolchak avatar, he'd filp, and so would every other Nightstalker fan here on the boards ;)

xo - TB

PS - When you get the chance take a look at the Bradstreet Pics thread, there are some fun shots of you over there.

OKAY! Before I hit the sack I'll make Tim happy. This is the Kolchak cover for Moonstone that will finally see print soon. The second is my very first cover ever, painted when I was 17. G'night, all!

72Kolchak2LG.jpg

HeavyMetalJune78.jpg

Awesome.

Someday Joe, we have to do a jam piece.

Why have we never come up with a good excuse to do that?

Seeing your Punisher painting above makes me want to do a classic Punisher in the costume.

Your painting over top would give it the full power.

On another note. I have a jpeg here that I would love to show off but it's too fucking small to do the thing any justice.

It's your Hulk painting that I want to say was a jam with John Buscema?

I'm going to post it so you can tell me/us if it really is a jam painting with the Master of the Marvel Way or not.

If you have a larger version I'd love to see it!!!

johnbuscemaandjoejuskotheincredible.jpg

xoxo - TB

Thanks for the message cluing me into this thread Tim. Mr. Jusko, fantastic Kolchak painting! I never saw that book, I'll have to find it now. I have been a fan of your work for a long time. Very, very cool to see you on this forum (I love the bonuses). I will be picking up your art book without a doubt. It will have a special home next to this one.

jusko_art_edgar_burroughs_c.jpg

It's very thrilling to see you here. I hope you will share more of your work.

NP Golgotha, thought you might like that ;) Glad to know you are a long-time fan as well.

Here is another one of my favorites -

BuscemaJuskoConan.jpg

I may have to go find my Savage Sword Of Conan mags so I can scan a bunch of those cool Jusko covers.

- TB

Buscema is my God, dude! As a kid I learned to draw by copying Big John. That is indeed a JB pencil, and actually a repaint of the original The Hulk! magazine cover for the Universal theme ride. Any time they offered I jumped at the chance to work over him.

How about a jam for next San Diego? I'm in!!!!

Here's the repaint for Universal

72Hulk.jpg

John's original pencil

HULK26-JohnBuscema.jpg

And the original cover from 1981

HULK26cover.jpg

Awesome.

Someday Joe, we have to do a jam piece.

Why have we never come up with a good excuse to do that?

Seeing your Punisher painting above makes me want to do a classic Punisher in the costume.

Your painting over top would give it the full power.

On another note. I have a jpeg here that I would love to show off but it's too fucking small to do the thing any justice.

It's your Hulk painting that I want to say was a jam with John Buscema?

I'm going to post it so you can tell me/us if it really is a jam painting with the Master of the Marvel Way or not.

If you have a larger version I'd love to see it!!!

Here's my first Conan cover in over 15 years. Done for a hardback called "By This Axe I Rule", a history of the legal issues and battles surrounding the Howard estate. It's my new favorite Conan painting I've done. :-)

72ConantheBarbariansm.jpg

Sweet Jesus, that Conan painting is incredible.

God I bet you had a ball working over "Jolly" John Buscema! Or however Stan Lee used to refer to him in "Stan's Soapbox".

Joe, I feel like a nit for asking, just want to be sure . . . The original The Hulk! magazine cover was also done by you right?

The repaint was your own repaint correct?

Goddamn cool.

New Conan piece is wonderful brother.

I hope all of this will be in your new book.

- TB

All in the book! And yeah, the original cover was mine, too.

God I bet you had a ball working over "Jolly" John Buscema! Or however Stan Lee used to refer to him in "Stan's Soapbox".

Joe, I feel like a nit for asking, just want to be sure . . . The original The Hulk! magazine cover was also done by you right?

The repaint was your own repaint correct?

Goddamn cool.

New Conan piece is wonderful brother.

I hope all of this will be in your new book.

- TB