origin1950

DARK COUNTRY

The DVD if Sony doesn't cock it up, will have a regular 2D release and a special edition with the 3D version.

Or both versions available on the same disc, or a two disc special edition with both versions.

Whatever happens the 3D will be available on DVD.

- Or did you get that info off a Sony statement concerning the DVD Mike?

I mean, is 3D even watchable in a tube?

Jane did say they shot the film in two versions - one's 3D and one's not.

-TL

Thomas, they shot the film in 3D entirely, but you just take the left or right eye camera and you have a 2D version. Both happen at once ;)

There is at least one 3D TV on the market. I watched bits off a DVD at the post production house and viewed it with polarized lenses. It looked incredible.

At home I'd guess you could view it that way. There are probably several options. Ray Zone could shed a whole lot more light on this.

Perhaps I can get him to stop by and give us his thoughts.

- TB

Or both versions available on the same disc, or a two disc special edition with both versions.

- Or did you get that info off a Sony statement concerning the DVD Mike?

Thomas, they shot the film in 3D entirely, but you just take the left or right eye camera and you have a 2D version. Both

- TB

Yeah, like The Mist having color and black and white.

And no, that was mis-wording by me, you apparently quoted that before I changed the 'will' to 'could'.

Guest AdminGuyX

Part of the issue for studio folks is probably the idea that 3D is something for kids at Disney World.

Marketing a film like Dark Country in a full on 3D theater release might seem really strange to them, as opposed to Journey to the Center of the Earth or some such nonsense.

From a financial point of view, it makes sense to wanna make a $3 Million movie Straight to Video.

More and more today, I keep hearing studios just don't feel like spending $10 Million on distribution when the film itself cost less than the price for Limited Release distribution.

I won't go as far to say its a smart move (because some films CAN turn the money around) but I will say there's a strong chance the studio doesn't make a cent of the film if they put too much money in it.

DVD means saving money.

-TL

If they are contractual obliged to release in theaters, there will at least be a limited release. I think hat's what happened with Midnight Meat Train, the only reason that didn't straight to DVD was Lionsgate had to put it in the theaters. Hopefully Dark Country won't get as fucked over as Midnight Meat Train did in that respect, being dumped into dollar theaters.

Just tell me when and where the release party is... I gotta make up for some lost time. I'm still kicking my own ass over not being able to hit SDCC this year. Next year.... next year, I promise!

Cool, Great News.

Thanks for getting us an answer on this Tim, appreciate it :D

I just saw this online; not sure if it's "official":

"Variety reports that Sony will release THE DARK COUNTRY in mid 2009. The thriller is shot in stereoscopic 3D and Film Noir style and was directed and starred in by Thomas Jane."

Here's the link to the article:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/09/quic...rk-country.html

Jen

I just saw this online; not sure if it's "official":

"Variety reports that Sony will release THE DARK COUNTRY in mid 2009. The thriller is shot in stereoscopic 3D and Film Noir style and was directed and starred in by Thomas Jane."

Here's the link to the article:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/09/quic...rk-country.html

Jen

thanks Jen. we'll know more in a few weeks when we finish the film and show it to the head honchos at Sony. right now i'm working on sound and music. got a great jazz musician named Eric Lewis to score - so far he's doing a wonderful job. i'll keep you guys posted... anybody know if i can i share sound files on here?

thanks Jen. we'll know more in a few weeks when we finish the film and show it to the head honchos at Sony. right now i'm working on sound and music. got a great jazz musician named Eric Lewis to score - so far he's doing a wonderful job. i'll keep you guys posted... anybody know if i can i share sound files on here?

I know it's a bit early to ask about the score/soundtrack release...but can't wait for the news on that!

Jazz, film noir, and 3-D...dude, I'm so there. B)

Lin

I for one cant wait to see it!

Just not that many good films out these days.

So excited to see it at the Theater or home!

I know it's a bit early to ask about the score/soundtrack release...but can't wait for the news on that!

Jazz, film noir, and 3-D...dude, I'm so there. B)

Lin

With the soundtrack in the works, and the film playing a lot of games with first person perspective with extreme changes in elevation and proximity, will you be doing spatial effects with the audio as well? (i.e. 7.1 and 5.1 surround you with 5 or 7 static positions for a very two dimensional experience in reality.) Are you going to step up above that as well?

Joe

So there's still no announcement of this thing hitting theatres before the DVD release in 6 months.

We got no Trailer either and no official Teaser Poster.

I'd like to see some footage before I watch this on my TV set in March.

-TL

I's my understanding that the movie will be finished toward the end of Oct. At that point, the brain trust (oxymoron?) at Sony will determine whether the film will receive theatrical distribution. Unfortunately, that determination isn't always made based on the quality of the move. More often it has to do with audience demographic and whether they feel they can sell it. Having the film shot in 3-D will help its cause, I would think. Believe me, no one wants a theatrical release more than I do, except for possibly Tom. I've seen a very early cut, and even in its roughest form, it plays like gangbusters.

Tab Murphy

I's my understanding that the movie will be finished toward the end of Oct. At that point, the brain trust (oxymoron?) at Sony will determine whether the film will receive theatrical distribution. Unfortunately, that determination isn't always made based on the quality of the move. More often it has to do with audience demographic and whether they feel they can sell it. Having the film shot in 3-D will help its cause, I would think. Believe me, no one wants a theatrical release more than I do, except for possibly Tom. I've seen a very early cut, and even in its roughest form, it plays like gangbusters.

Tab Murphy

that is good news tab, i really hope it does get theatrical, such a shame if it doesn't get the full cinema 3d exposure.

Tom, or Tim, you should see if you can't get a 3-D trailer for the site. The production pics that worked with the glasses from Bad Planet were great, but a trailer would be too cool.

From Jen's Yahoo group:

Tom phoned Fangoria recently to update the site about what he's

doing. Here's an excerpt about what Tom talked about:

"Fan favorite Thomas Jane of THE MIST phoned in with an update on his

directorial debut, THE DARK COUNTRY (about a psycho tormenting a

couple on a desert road trip), in which he also appears with MUTANT

CHRONICLES co-star Ron Perlman and HOSTEL: PART II's Lauren German.

He said that rumors that the film would be sent straight to DVD this

spring are false. "The studio won't even see the film until May,"

Jane noted. "And then they will decide. I am hoping for a small

theatrical this summer. I am very proud of THE DARK COUNTRY. It's a

strange hybrid of a horror film and art film, and it's in 3-D! The

release will be in theatrical digital 3-D. Right now I am mixing

sound and working on the music. We hired a jazz musician, Eric Lewis,

to do the score.""

Go to this link to Fangoria to find out how to buy the audio clips

from iTunes:

http://www.fangoriaonline.com/home/news/9-...dio-scoops.html

From what I've just read online, Dark Country is in post-production:

"Hyde Park Group ...the company is in post production on Thomas Jane's

directorial debut in 3D, The Dark Country, for Sony's Stage 6."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Bre...er/news/?a=6784

Jen

There's a blurb about Dark Country at ShockTilYouDrop.com from a phone interview that Ron Perlman did, but once again, there are some (major, I think) plot points are given away, so read it at your own risk...

""It's very film noir," Perlman tells ShockTillYouDrop.com during a recent phone interview. "It's got a bit of a Stephen King tonality to it. It's a guy driving across the desert by night and it's a spin-out story."

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=10070

Jen

gotta get rid of the damn spoilers!! anybody else come across any spoilers, PLEASE post them here so i can try to get rid of them. FYI, we are NOT going straight to vid. i've worked to damn hard. the film will land at LGF or Sony will take it theatrical. we finally finished the film last week!!

SONY hasn't even see the finished product yet. they will in a week or so. i'll keep you posted. but i can say that I am extremely happy with the film. and i can't say that about most of my work. but THIS, this is gold to me. i love it. so please let me in on any spoilers you might find. and if you're planning on seeing the film, please don't read about it. just go see it. this film works best the least you know about it going in. this is where the internet, god love her, is a royal pain in the ASS. it's up to you, dear reader, to police yourself and get rid of all the BS! can't wait for you guys to see it. T

With the soundtrack in the works, and the film playing a lot of games with first person perspective with extreme changes in elevation and proximity, will you be doing spatial effects with the audio as well? (i.e. 7.1 and 5.1 surround you with 5 or 7 static positions for a very two dimensional experience in reality.) Are you going to step up above that as well?

Joe

wish i could. right now the facilities to do good work above 7.1 are extremely rare. i was told about a system that is 78.6. that's control over 78 freaking speakers. it's a specialty config, and the theater still needs to be build that would handle it! but think about it. that kind of control just might be the status quo someday. and Dark Country just might be the film that they'd invite to be the flagship ride. that's what's great about innovation. it attracts more of the same. T