origin1950

DARK COUNTRY

According to many credible sites, SONY is releasing Dark Country on DVD this Spring.

What does this mean?

Is the film hitting theatres this Fall?

Or is this just going Straight to Video???

-TL

I wonder if the release is going to be like Hell Ride's, a limited release, take a few months off and out on DVD. I hope not, I'm really excited to see this on the big screen. I did go to the Sony site, and it is listed for DVD in March 24th. Of course, you get the right movie, and it's out on DVD before you know it. What is the average time frame know, 4-5 months?

I wouldn't put too much stock in these reports, in terms of DC not seeing any theatrical release.

I haven't heard anything like that and I'm sure Tom would have said something were this the case.

I'll find out more.

- TB

That's still plenty of time for a theatrical release, TL. The window from theater to dvd is getting smaller and smaller these days. Remember how fast The Mist went to dvd? The turnaround for that was between three and four months. So Dark Country could have a good release as late as November or December, and still be released on dvd as early as March with no problem. Especially if the studio is already planning for it, and have the marketing and such set up in advance. Jmo.

In his Podcast interview, I recall Jane saying this thing was coming out in 2009...

-TL

And Harry Potter was coming out in 2008. And look where it is now. Summer of 2009. Those things change all the time. Look how many times Valkyrie has been moved around. At least 4 by my count, and now it's back on the 2008 schedule of releases.

Nothing is set in stone.

Nothing is set in stone.

Amen.

Talked to Tom about 20 minutes ago, he and Darabont are up at a car show in Carmel (the bastards).

Tom says the DVD slate is something that normally happens. He's thinking the film will get a release in December.

Whether that is a small or limited release is still unknown but Tom is 99% sure that it will get a theatrical release.

Truth be told he isn't so concerned with the scope of the release. He's just happy that he got to make the film he wanted to make, fairly free of compromise.

He LOVES it and is content with that. He mentioned how much he'd love to screen it for college campuses and film festivals.

He didn't set out to make a commercial picture per say. What he wanted was to do was something he could be proud of.

As of now that is exactly the case.

More info as we get it.

- TB

The Harry Potter argument doesn't apply because Dark Country is a low budget film.

With the way studios are treating low budget films these days, I wouldn't be surprised if Dark Country gets fucked over and never sees theatres.

What bothers me about that, is that the entire concept of Dark Country was supposed to be the in-theatre 3D experience.

If it goes Straight to Video, that concept dies.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

TL, where did you hear about the direct to DVD stuff anyway?

Tom, maybe you should send them an email and set 'em straight.

;)

The reports are using the 7 month window as a catalyst for that possibility.

It takes 3 months minimum for a film to hit the shelves after its been in theatres.

That means Dark Country would have to be released in December.

Jane's been open about 2009 being the film's opening year.

Limited Release is definitely an option.

-TL

Jane's been open about 2009 being the film's opening year.

Limited Release is definitely an option.

-TL

Yeah and keep in mind that Tom wasn't aware of the DVD date when he mentioned 2009.

Not sure of the ins and the outs but Sony's release date of the DVD would almost certainly assure a release in 2008.

Again, Tom or I will give more details and solid intel as this all unfolds.

- TB

Guest FADoss

I'll be truly disappointed if it doesn't hit theaters. Living in Austin though, I'm sure I can catch a limited release.

Fred

Truth be told he isn't so concerned with the scope of the release. He's just happy that he got to make the film he wanted to make, fairly free of compromise.

He LOVES it and is content with that. He mentioned how much he'd love to screen it for college campuses and film festivals.

In that case, the Nashville film festival is calling for entrants. http://www.nashvillefilmfestival.org/

But it's in April, so I don't know if that would work if they're going to put it out on DVD in March.

Anyway, think about it. :)

k-skye

P.S. - Also the home of Vanderbilt University.

Call me the glass half full guy, but I'm just glad that it's been picked up by a 'major' distributor in the first place.

How many low budget/indie movies get made every year that never see the light of day outside of festivals? Much as I hate 'Sony' as a corporation, they should easily guarantee major distribution making the film more widely available/seen in the first place.

So, I've asked on the Raw Entertainment forum and not had a response yet. Will (or even can) 'Dark Country' be viewed on a DVD/Blu Ray in 3D? I assume it's technically possible so I'm guessing it just comes down to the 'will' to do it.

I've never been nominated for an Oscar for writing a screenplay but I did get a 'very good effort' for an english essay I wrote once.... so nope, sorry, sadly I'm not Tab Murphy... guess I'm not interesting anymore then :P

Call me the glass half full guy, but I'm just glad that it's been picked up by a 'major' distributor in the first place.

How many low budget/indie movies get made every year that never see the light of day outside of festivals? Much as I hate 'Sony' as a corporation, they should easily guarantee major distribution making the film more widely available/seen in the first place.

So, I've asked on the Raw Entertainment forum and not had a response yet. Will (or even can) 'Dark Country' be viewed on a DVD/Blu Ray in 3D? I assume it's technically possible so I'm guessing it just comes down to the 'will' to do it.

I'll direct Tom here to field some of these questions, though at this stage there is nothing written in stone.

Questions of Blue Ray, and 3D versions for home video will be answered fully soon enough.

I have a strong notion that the 3D experience of Dark Country will most certainly be available to the consumer.

- TB

Guest FADoss
I think LA's your best bet, unless you wanna fly out to NYC.

-TL

You don't know Austin...

:)

Thanks Tim

As for film festivals, best not to put the cart before the horse. It all depeneds on when the final cut of the film is in the bag really. There is no point entering a film festival if you don't have a decently edited cut to show - look what happened to David Kelley with 'Southland Tales' in Cannes!

Heck- if they did show it in Nashville I'd make the drive. It's a straight shot from here up I-40 and only about 3hrs away. Would sooooo love to see this film in 3-D in a theater.

As far as 3-D at home, I've got the Shrek 3-D and I know one of the spy kids movies was released on DVD in 3-D. I picked up some extra 3-D glasses and we watched the Shrek 3-D in my friend Tim's back yard TIMAX screen (about 15-18ft tall and 30ft wide!) TimHX surround sound. The kids got a kick out of it when we showed it before the main flick.

Since they've been filming the DVD extras in 3-D I'd hope it would be on the DVD. ;)

So glad Tom's a fan of 3-D and got to make this film!

Lin

If this thing does go Straight to Video, I wanna know if SONY is dropping the entire 3D aspect of it for the DVD release.

I mean, is 3D even watchable in a tube?

Jane did say they shot the film in two versions - one's 3D and one's not.

-TL

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the fucking Rodriguez 3D movies came with glass for the DVD release.

The DVD if Sony doesn't cock it up, could have a regular 2D release and a special edition with the 3D version.