Guest FADoss

Shameless Plugs for Frederic Doss

Edits are so quick in that trailer... hard to see. Is that you in the BDUs?

Yep, that's me with shotgun and the hatchet.

Very Cool. Can't wait to see it!!

Nice ford commercial too.

;)

Ha! That Ford spot was pretty fun.

Do you always have that creepy smile when you are driving your Ford?

Do you always have that creepy smile when you are driving your Ford?

Oh yeah...always gotta keep an eye out for the ladies.

So, it's been awhile, but I keep in contact with most of you through facebook. For those that haven't heard, "Humans Vs. Zombies" will be premiering on ChillerTV on 17 February, THIS FRIDAY! Check your listings. Very excited.

Also, we are putting together a GI JOE fan film. If you want to help out, check us out here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/214380334/gi-joe-initiate

Come follow us on FB, donate some cash (even $1 helps) or just spread the word. Lots happening!

Looks like I'll be filming in Bulgaria this summer as well. :D

I honestly don't see why you are doing a fan film, wouldn't it be more creatively satisfying to rework the idea you have into something original? Not to shit on anyone's parade, it's just my thought on the whole fan film thing.

Look at freddiew and pwnisher on youtube. Modern Warfare: Frozen Crossing and the Mortal Kombat series and you'll see exactly what we're doing.

Still, wouldn't the time, energy, and money be better spent on something original and not a fan film?

Guest AdminGuyX

It looks good to me, having done a fan film or two myself, I understand the appeal. It's something you do for fun Mike. Pure and simple.

It's fun and exposure. You capitalize on the existing property's popularity. It's a win/win for you and the property you are paying homage for. Plus, we all love GI Joe. We have original stuff coming too.

On that note, HVZ TONIGHT on ChillerTV! Check me out!

http://www.chillertv.com/

Oh, and check out this crazy interview I did recently:

I just don't get the appeal of doing them. I know I sound like a broken record, with the time and money and originality thing, creating something original seems to me like it would be way more fun and fulfilling.

Well Tim, for instance, does a lot of illustrations for characters he didn't create. The only difference is that we aren't getting paid for it. When you factor in the exposure you get (which is EVERYTHING in this business) of doing a solid fan film, I'm not sure I understand why you WOULDN'T want to do one.

Again, it's taking something we love and adding our flair to it. Similar to Tim, look at Joss Whedon writing the X-Men. He did a great job, I think, but they aren't his creations. I'm not sure how you can support modern comics and be against what we're doing.

I mean, you have a right to that opinion, but trust me, the positives FAR outweigh the negatives and it doesn't make us unoriginal, lazy or dumb for doing a fan film...in the same way that Tim's version of The Punisher is way more badass than the Amazing Spiderman 129 version, we are about ready to kick the door down on some GI JOE.

Or do you think that we have to do it for the money or get official authorization for it to be worthwhile?

So, it's been awhile, but I keep in contact with most of you through facebook. For those that haven't heard, "Humans Vs. Zombies" will be premiering on ChillerTV on 17 February, THIS FRIDAY! Check your listings. Very excited.

Also, we are putting together a GI JOE fan film. If you want to help out, check us out here: http://www.kickstart...gi-joe-initiate

Come follow us on FB, donate some cash (even $1 helps) or just spread the word. Lots happening!

Looks like I'll be filming in Bulgaria this summer as well. :D

Best of luck w/ raising the money for the GI JOE fan film! :)

Thanks! We're up to 48% funded in just a week! Trying to keep up the momentum. Had $200 donated this morning. Learning alot about crowd funding.

Thanks! We're up to 48% funded in just a week! Trying to keep up the momentum. Had $200 donated this morning. Learning alot about crowd funding.

That's incredible! I expect you'll surpass your goal. I'll do my best to help spread the word. B)

Well Tim, for instance, does a lot of illustrations for characters he didn't create. The only difference is that we aren't getting paid for it. When you factor in the exposure you get (which is EVERYTHING in this business) of doing a solid fan film, I'm not sure I understand why you WOULDN'T want to do one.

Again, it's taking something we love and adding our flair to it. Similar to Tim, look at Joss Whedon writing the X-Men. He did a great job, I think, but they aren't his creations. I'm not sure how you can support modern comics and be against what we're doing.

I mean, you have a right to that opinion, but trust me, the positives FAR outweigh the negatives and it doesn't make us unoriginal, lazy or dumb for doing a fan film...in the same way that Tim's version of The Punisher is way more badass than the Amazing Spiderman 129 version, we are about ready to kick the door down on some GI JOE.

Or do you think that we have to do it for the money or get official authorization for it to be worthwhile?

Yeah, but it doesn't cost Tim or any other artist hundreds to thousands of dollars to draw a picture or bang out a convention sketch for fun. And with Whedon and the writing, he got hired to do a job.

Again, I don't think you are getting the marketing or exposure element from doing a fanfilm...

Original work is much harder to push and market (and we are also doing that...for instance with a feature that just hit Chiller), but with an existing fanbase, a fanfilm is a surefire way to get people interested in what you are doing. You can then use that attention to market your original content.

I cited several examples above of very successful use of fan films to build a fanbase for original content. It works, IF your film is done well.

The only point you seem to be making is that since we aren't making money at it, we shouldn't be doing it, regardless of whether it is fun...or that it has built in marketing components. Your above statement implies that Whedon and Bradstreet would only draw/write/create if they were paid lots of money to do so. I think we all know guys like that just love what they do. In fact, I doubt Whedon needed the paycheck he got from Marvel to do Xmen after creating Buffy and Firefly.

I feel a bit cornered here. I'm coming out and saying "look at this cool stuff I'm doing" and you seem to be saying it is irrelevant...or a waste of time, which is a pretty discouraging buzzkillish sort of attitude to take. I just don't get the need to do that...

Guest AdminGuyX

I just don't get the appeal of doing them. I know I sound like a broken record, with the time and money and originality thing, creating something original seems to me like it would be way more fun and fulfilling.

Actually, it's the opposite. When you are doing a film for profit, it's loads of pressure and stress. Non stop. When you get involved in a fan film, that pressure is gone. It's a volunteer project, a not for profit project, and it's something you do for fun and enjoyment. I do understand your point, and before I got involved in a fan film, I thought exactly the same thing. But, it's a very different atmopshere on set and in rehearsals. Much more relxed.