Sign in to follow this  
Mike V

Inglorious Bastards

I loved it. Saw it twice. I was a bit worried going into it because a few moments aside (Kurt Russell can't NOT be awesome) Death Proof bored the crap out of me. But this was a major return to form.

The dialogue and performances were fantastic, and the tension in some scenes had me gnawing my fist off. I think it says a lot that when you see a 2 and a hour long film and you notice no one in the cinema is talking to each other. Everyone was glued to the screen.

At the Q & A I attended at the DGA Theater last night, Quentin said that while there will be some deleted scenes on the DVD, he was not including the sequence I was most looking forward to. That's the sequence that bridges Shosanna's escape at the beginning and her re-appearance at the movie theater years later.

I found the film to be disjointed and when I went back and read the screenplay, I felt the film really needed that bridge.

Quentin disagrees. He said there will be no Director's Cut DVD because his Director's Cut is what we see in the theater. And he has decided not to include that sequence on the deleted scenes. He said the differences between the Cannes cut and the theatrical were just pacing a rhythm. It sounds like there were no significant changes.

He did, however, explain why Landa let Shosanna go at the beginning of the film.

Picked up the DVD yesterday, and as much as I loved this movie, I was a bit disapointed by the extras on the DVD. Mainly because there where two things I wanted to see, and they are not on there. My rational side said this could be a good thing though.

What I'm refering to is two scenes from the film that where shot (I'm not sure about the second one, though it was cast), but never used, one being Donnie visiting an elderly lady, having her carve a name into his bat. Then there was a scene explaining how Shoshana got the theater. On one of the bonus docs, there is a small clip of the Donnie scene. It's in script, and was on of my favorite parts, but not on the DVD.

Now, the plus side, Quentin has said that the response to the film was overwhelming, and there have been talks of doing a prequel (I know, QT talks a lot about things he wants to do and never does), and that scene will be in that film.

I'd love to see more of the Basterds at work, and more Landa. Christoph Waltz is friggen amazing.

Just watched it about a week ago on Blu Ray. I thought it was a very good film. Great cast as well.

:( watched it tonight...well an hour and a half of it...Tarantino continues to underwelm me...major snooze fest. I couldn't stand anymore and turned it off...Loved Pitt and the much to short cameo of Rod Taylor.

I really wanted Quentin to win the Golden Globe for Best Director for this. I was very disappointed that he didn't and James Cameron did win it for Avatar.

I'm happy that Christoph Waltz won for Supporting Role! Nice speech.

That's the only category where I really wanted Inglourious Basterds to win. I wasn't sure about Best Director and Best Screenplay, because I haven't seen "The Hurt Locker" and "Up in the Air" yet...

I'm happy that Christoph Waltz won for Supporting Role! Nice speech.

Waltz was great in this film; he looks to be equally impressive in the upcoming "Django Unchained" from Tarantino.