Guest AdminGuyX

HUNG

I don't disagree that television is the most viable and easily accessible option for many people to see their favorite (where I live it's a 25 mile drive to get to the nearest theater), but there was a time when it was considered heresy for a "film star" to stoop to doing television. I was simply stating that that is no longer the case, as many "movie stars" such as Patricia, Glenn Close, Sally Field, Jeff Goldblum, Christian Slater, and Holly Hunter, to name a few, are enjoying renewed success on television, and as in Patricia's case, receiving much-deserved critical acclaim and recognition. And a big part of the reason is that the movies that are being made these days (such as the incessant toilet humor of Judd Apatow, among others) aren't worth watching, imo. Or they're boringly redundant remakes or sequels that we've all long since grown tired of seeing made again and again with different titles, or with a different number after the title, e.g. __________(fill in the blank with the most recent three or four part franchise here) 1,2, or 3, or ___________ Returns or Begins, etc. etc, etc.

Television is creatively stepping up the bar these days, where Hollywood moviedom is falling behind, which is why "movie" stars aren't so hesitant to make the leap anymore, as it really isn't much of a leap these days, but rather more of a sidestep.

Loved that about seeing "The Punisher" displayed prominently at Wal-Mart, even if it was on the center aisle, it's always good to see actors like Thomas who work so hard and deserve it get a little nudge sometimes. And I hope that that's what this series will do for him if it pans out.

Loved that about seeing "The Punisher" displayed prominently at Wal-Mart, even if it was on the center aisle,

Placement was actually really solid. Most of the WalMarts look like they have moved to a planogram model. To get into electronics, you have to cross an overtly wide back aisle. (10-12' wide) They setup feature racks that are tall and thin in front of the entry points to the section. Everybody that goes to look at a Blu-Ray player or an HDTV is going to walk upto and passed a display with "The Punisher" starring Thomas Jane fully in their face. The racks also featured Batman product. Again, this display screamed high traffic.

Joe

and see him starting getting the respect he has long deserved.

That's right ! :)

The advantage of a TV show is that we will see Thomas "each week". ^_^

But it's even better to see him on the big screen, even if it is only once a year...

(so if the series lasts a few years, we will not see him on the big screen for a long time...)

Arfff, anyway, see Thomas remains a real pleasure, no importance "where", "when", "how"... B)

truth be told, i would not be doing this show if it interfered with my film career. it's a half hour, single camera show (meaning it'll be shot on film, like a movie, not with three vid cams.) it's 13 episodes, so i'll only be working 3 - 4 months out of the year on the show, leaving plenty of time for a film or two, and all the comic stuff we're doing with Raw, as well as the series i'm developing for sci fi channel - VOYAGE TO SAVAGE PLANET.

Why am i doing small screen? - mediumfan nailed it: the material is great. and finally someone is interested in another side of me than kicking someone's ass or killing ugly monsters. i LOVE that shit, but there's more to a meal than a burger and fries, ya know? sometimes i just wanna freaking steak.

and hell yes i've wanted to work with alexander payne since i saw election. I auditioned for about schmidt and sideways. alexander has always brought me in on whatever he's doing - i dunno why but i've always made him laugh. so i don't care if the screen is big or small, when he called i jumped at it.

the writing is kick ass and the characters are great. and yeah it's a world of dick jokes for years to come, but actors learn pretty quickly that whatEVER you're doing, you become the target for a lot of banal shit. and hey, it could be worse. i could be doing a show about a guy with an asshole on his forehead...

Working with Payne will be a great experience.

I'm so glad you took this.

Congratulations by the way.

- TB

It will be nice to see the comedic side again. Your appearance in Arrested Development was too funny, it's a shame we don't get to see more of that side (although, when the gloves are off, I'm more of a genera film guy). Payne's darkness to his comedy seems like a perfect fit for you. Can't wait.

truth be told, i would not be doing this show if it interfered with my film career. it's a half hour, single camera show (meaning it'll be shot on film, like a movie, not with three vid cams.) it's 13 episodes, so i'll only be working 3 - 4 months out of the year on the show, leaving plenty of time for a film or two, and all the comic stuff we're doing with Raw, as well as the series i'm developing for sci fi channel - VOYAGE TO SAVAGE PLANET.

When would Voyage To The Savage Planet start? I thought I heard this announced a while back on another news site, can't remember which one. One of the best things about RAW are the titles you come up with. They evoke the old Sci-fi/horror titles of films and comics. Cool stuff.

From The Punisher to Womanizer :D not bad

Guest AdminGuyX
i could be doing a show about a guy with an asshole on his forehead...

That would only work if Garth Ennis was the head writer and showrunner.

;)

Thanks for posting TJ, here is to hoping this becomes one of the HBO classics!!

And by the way, how fucking excited am I for Voyage to The Savage Planet?

In this case, I am reassured ! ;)

I hope this will bring to you even greater success ! Your career will be even more grown up... B)

That's really cool, she was great in 'Happiness' (kind of reminded me of Hope Davis). From the (brief) description of the part, I can really see her fitting the role.

Looks like Alexander Payne is really getting a great cast together for this..... Man I wish I had HBO. Guess I'll have to wait and see if the BBC pick 'Hung' up

Here's some more casting news about "Hung". Zap2it is reporting that Kristin Bauer has been cast in the show as Thomas' ex-wife. Her IMDb resume looks pretty interesting and she does have some comedy experience (George Lopez, Everybody Loves Raymond, Men Behaving Badly, Two and a Half Men, Just Shoot Me, Dharma & Greg, and Seinfeld are all in her list of guest spots.)

The more I hear about this show, the more I can't wait to see it. Any word on when this will start filming or when it will air, Thomas?

Here's some more casting news about "Hung". Zap2it is reporting that Kristin Bauer has been cast in the show as Thomas' ex-wife. Her IMDb resume looks pretty interesting and she does have some comedy experience (George Lopez, Everybody Loves Raymond, Men Behaving Badly, Two and a Half Men, Just Shoot Me, Dharma & Greg, and Seinfeld are all in her list of guest spots.)

The more I hear about this show, the more I can't wait to see it. Any word on when this will start filming or when it will air, Thomas?

I don't remember this actress...

yep, rightly, I clicked on the link. ;)

I saw much the TV Shows in which she played, and I don't remember at all ... lol

Okay folks, just wanted to let you know i had the distinct honor and privilege to be booked as Thomas' stand-in on this project. We shot in metro detroit (where i am unfortunately stuck for the moment); i interviewed on Sept 5 (which happened to be my birthday), and we shot our first scene the following day. Thomas walked right up and introduced himself to me, and we talked for a while about acting, government kickbacks, and The Punisher.

He was such a cool, down-to-earth kind of guy, as opposed to some of the prima donnas i've worked with on other sets. i first took notice of him way back in The Crow: City of Angels (he was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal and disappointing movie--more on that in a different post). And i had been a Punisher fan since i was a kid, actually had his first few appearances in Spider-Man, so of course i was very impressed with the lengths Thomas went to prepare for the part. When we were talking about the new "Punisher" flick, and his reasons for walking away, i told him that was why he IS The Punisher, because of his respect for the character.

Anyway, as for this project, it was truly the best set i've ever been on. Very relaxed and friendly environment, the entire cast and crew were great, and Alexander runs a great set. i can't really give too many details about the project itself, but the script was one of the funniest i've ever read. It actually made me laugh out loud at some points, which almost never happens (and Thomas called me his 'Stunt Cock', which was fucking hilarious--that's going right on the resume).

Plus, i was upgraded to Thomas' on-screen double for some second unit stuff. Once they fixed my hair the first time, people were constantly mistaking me for him--an honor--so they had me do some driving shots, stuff like that.

This entire project was definitely an experience i would like to repeat, any time, anywhere.

Now that's just showing off :P

Sounds like a pretty cool experience (and what a great job title, talk about a pick up line and a half :-). Can't wait to see it. Any idea of the number of episodes are planned? Guessing Alexander Payne is just directing the pilot, but do you have any idea if any other promising directors have been discussed yet?

That's cool !

Is this TV Show is done as a sitcom or as a TV show "normal" (humour, etc...) ?

Definitely a great pick-up line--"Yeah, i was the Stunt Cock on a show called 'Hung'"--heh heh.

No idea on other directors yet, although i've heard rumors that Alexander will serve as one of the Exec Producers if the show gets picked up...should run for 13 episodes, and probably the back 9 if people catch on. Hoping they will, it is really good.

Shot on film, with one camera--more of a 'Name is Earl' style i'd say, where the humor arises from the material, as opposed to being forced with a laugh track or cued audience. Believe me, there were times when even the crew was cracking up. Thomas is naturally funny, the script works, so this should get a good audience.

dont forget the fact that he always takes time out to come on this forum and chat it up with us...stick around you might run into him! B)

more of a 'Name is Earl' style i'd say, where the humor arises from the material, as opposed to being forced with a laugh track or cued audience. Believe me, there were times when even the crew was cracking up. Thomas is naturally funny, the script works, so this should get a good audience.

Oula ... "My name is Earl" is completely crazy ! lol

Moreover, I don't like... it's like "scrubs", I am not fan at all...

So... wait and see.

It's definitely not over the top like 'Earl', not as silly.

What's wrong with Scrubs? The first few seasons were comedy classics (before it got all sentimental).

Thank feck there is no laugh track, nothing grates me more than being told 'when' to laugh. I can make up my own mind thanks. All the best comedies avoid them (The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Weeds etc...).

Those are excellent examples; the script is definitely more in that vein. While i love a good pratfall every now and then, and the Stooges rule, but sometimes comedy should be more reality-based, and the laughs flow naturally.