Thomas Jane

COMICON 08

well i had a blast. i'm damn tired, but it was worth it.

who was at the Mutant screening? well what did ya think? who stopped by the booth? who got into a fight? any good stories or pics, share them here. i'll share some pics of the booth as soon as i get them. TJ

I was not there... sniff... :(

but I will be there next year ! :D

I look forward to seeing the pics !

(when does the "store" will open on the website ? ^_^ )

Guest FADoss

I have been an avid gamer and comic geek for YEARS. Since I was 11. And EVERY FUCKING YEAR SOMETHING comes up to destroy my chances of attending any major con.

THIS FALL...come hell or high water I plan to AT LEAST make the Dallas Comicon...since my man Street will be there. It will be my first.

Some day...eventually...I will make THE Comicon. Hell, by the time I do it will probably be with a film that I'm IN.

Congrats to all who got to go...you bastards.

Fred

Here are some links to photos of Tom at the con from Flickr.com

and Photobucket.com; love the T-shirt!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahatwood/2700273364/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhickman/2711619294/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richlovatt/2704850721/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennerator/2700784333/

and at Photobucket:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/%22thomas%20jane%

22/Katsumoto04/DSC01879.jpg?o=1

and

http://media.photobucket.com/image/%22thomas%20jane%

22/llironsidell/IMG_0379.jpg?o=2

Jen

Great pics ! Thanks ! :)

post-12-1217351833_thumb.jpg

I can't see this pic...

(I have this message : Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information AND Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available) :huh:

post-12-1217351833_thumb.jpg

Dude, I don't think you've posted a pic in here yet that most, if not all, of us have been able to open.

Somebody, please help the man! :rolleyes:

Guest FADoss

So Jane, if you click ADD REPLY and then select the button that looks like a picture frame with a sunrise/sunset (just under the "Fonts" drop down). Then cut and paste the URL of the address where the picture is found.

You may have to upload the pic first. I usually use my myspace page to put my pics on the internet because I'm a queer.

For those non gay types... http://www.flickr.com/ works for uploading photos.

Fred

Again, I was able to open it just fine, but will drop here for a better look for those of you without Safari.

IMG_0367.jpg

- TB

Also double posting my thoughts which I posted in my section.

Didn't realize Tom had started a thread. I thought he was out in the desert scouting locations ;)

Comicon report -

For first pics hit Todd Farmer's Journal - You don't want to miss it!

Wednesday - Preview night

My pal Mike Hess deserves huge kudos. We packed up his vehicle with all of our RAW stuff (T-shirts, posters, stickers, balsa wood gliders, and other swag) Tuesday night and Mike parked in the underground structure (underneath the convention hall) Wednesday morning to be sure we had a spot. He hung out, bored to tears until our crew began to show up around 12:00pm. He coordinated with me, Jane, Pressman Productions, and the union convention dudes to get our banner hung (outrageous stupid cost), he coordinated with Pressman to make sure Mutant Chronicles promotional items were delivered to the booth (more juggling), and had everything hauled up from the car and waiting for us in the booth by the time Jane and Farmer arrived. The booth set-up ran SMOOTH which was a huge change from last year. I arrived around 3:00pm and it was all but finished. THANKS MIKE!!!!!!

The rest of Preview night was nuts, Preview night used to be a rather small affair, now it's like a Friday at the show. Real busy. We mostly saw old friends, made some new, and hawked our projects. We broke from the show around 9:30pm and had dinner at Lou And Mickey's across from the show. Then I threw Jane into my car and we saved a night of Hotel rate rape by shooting out to my place for a little rest before the invasion.

Thursday (Day 1)

Everyone got in early and we all hung in the booth. "WE" consisted of Hess, Jane, Todd Farmer, myself, and Ludon Lee (with part-timer Mark Walters). Tom and I were signing away and taking pictures with fans. When you have Jane in the booth that also means you have camera crews in and out doing interviews and such. I hope you guys find some of those cause it's really cool to listen to Tom talk about how much he loves comics and it's even cooler to realize that his knowledge and passions are well researched and genuine. We flipped out when we found out that EC Comics artist and legend, Al Feldstein was sitting over in artist alley, along with Jim Woodring and Kim Deitch, alt comics GODS.

It was somewhat of a relief not being tied to artist alley this year. It's all the way at the far end of the hall, stuffed into the back. The location means walking through hordes of fans to get to a door outside, or to any booth you may have a signing at. As it was, the RAW booth was located on the wall near the hall C door which was hugely convenient. No stress = better Comicon ;)

Signing at Marvel booth for Punisher Warzone was easy too, The LGF staff took great care of me. I went a little early and hit the green room to find Ray Stevenson and Gale Anne Hurd hanging out. Before I knew it, Ray and Gale came over and Ray was handing me a gift, which turned out to be a gold Punisher lapel pin with Ruby eyes.

Ray had them made for the cast and crew of the film. Pretty cool. Luckily I came bearing gifts as well and handed him a limited edition giclee of my last Max cover.

Gale was great and Ray was a true gentleman, a very classy man. We sat around visiting and signing posters for each other. Then we did the signing which ran without a hitch. The fans were spectacular. A real bonus was Dark Country Producer Patrick Aiello stopping by to say hello (he came down from LA for a whole 3 hours to do some business).

Back to the RAW booth and a great afternoon.

Todd Farmer and I then went to a LGF cocktail party hosted by SPIKE. Good times hanging out with Tim Palen and Sarah Greenberg, the co-presidents of marketing for LGF, old friends from the 2004 film. Midway through the party Ray Stevenson and his stunt double Jeff and I went outside for a smoke. Ray humbled me greatly when he told me that he had my cover from Punisher Max #50 folded up in his back pocket throughout the production. He'd take it out periodically and look at it to remind him what Frank Castle is all about, that it inspired him. Sheesh! He said that the sets in the film were like a love letter to my covers, he and Jeff then began showing me pictures of some of the sets lifted directly from my covers. I was fairly blown away. I had no idea they had done that. He really wanted to meet Jane, he loved what Tom did in the 2004 film and is a big fan of Stander. Unfortunately Tom was tied up doing promo for the Blue Ray edition of The Mist and couldn't get over to the party. It would have been cool to see Tom and Ray at least, come together amidst the firestorm of craziness surrounding the new film. I stayed on my best behavior and didn't inundate Ray with too much fan appreciation for Rome. Ray and Jeff, GREAT fellas.

Private dinner with friends followed. EXCELLENT day.

Friday (day 2)

Friday was spent hanging between the RAW booth and my art dealer's booth. I met so many cool people it really is a blur. The fans again were fantastic. I sold a few originals which takes some of the sting out of those jacked-up hotel rates, moved a slew of art proofs, and mainly wise-assed around with Tom and Todd. Did an interview for a WAY COOL French comic mag, saw some old friends, and periodically hit the smoking ring with my pal Kevin Chapman (Graphitti Designs).

Another excellent day.

For dinner, Tom, Todd, Ludon, Hess, and I joined our Dark Country Digital FX supervisor Jules, and one of his staff, along with a few Asian beauty queens (no joke), and some of Ludon's artist friends (names, I'm so bad with names) for dinner at the amazing RED PEARL. Asian cuisine doesn't get any better.

We arrived at our own party about an hour late.

RAW/Grapple party - All our friends in the house including Jim Daly, Bernie Wrightson (and wife Liz), Tim Vigil, director Wayne Kramer, Casper Van Dein (cool guy), Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, The FSR gang . . . Fuck me, I can't even begin to remember who all was there.

We left a little early and went around the corner for Pizza. Jane kept us entertained by reprising his role as "The Homeless Guy", from Arrested Development. Found out the next day that the party was finally ended by hotel security, who shut it down because of the noise. Wish I'd have been there for that.

Saturday (day 3)

Saturday started early, too early. I had a signing at the Image booth at 10:00 am for Studio Space, a new art book edited by Joel Meadows and Gary Marshall of Trip Wire Magazine. Studio Space is a collection of interviews and looks into the studios of 20 artists, including - Brian Bolland, Adam Hughes, Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, Sergio Toppi, Duncan Fegredo, Dave Gibbons, Steve Dillon, Joe Kubert, Howard Chaykin, and Bryan Talbot. If you get a chance to pick one up, DO IT!

Afternoon was wonderful, hanging in the RAW booth and letting the show wash over us. Everyone agreed, we were having a great time. No drama, low stress, fans were GREAT, and really cool people stopped by the booth to say hey. My fondest memory is when Jim Warren, the publisher behind Famous Monsters Of Filmland, Creepy, Eerie, and Vampirella, stopped by the booth and actually was fawning all over my art. I didn't even know it was him until I looked down and saw his badge. Then I freaked. He said "Where the hell were you 25 years ago". He told me he was a huge fan and had been following my work for years. That made my weekend. I said "that's pretty fucking ironic Jim, cause I've been a fan of yours all my life."

At 3pm I went over to the Harlequin/Gold Eagle booth and signed Rogue Angel for an hour. That was awesome as I got to spend time with good pals and editor's Blake and Tony. Andy Mangles stopped by for a while and chatted us all up which was fun.

Back to RAW to finish up the day. We left early to join Ed Pressman and his lovely wife Annie for dinner. Ed is the man who made Mutant Chronicles possible.

Dinner was incredible and we (Tom, Todd, Hess, and I) were joined by Ron Perlman, Devon Aoki (and her gorgeous mother), Simon Hunter (the director), and the guys from Paradox Entertainment, who own the rights to Mutant.

So funny how this stuff works. I was sitting next to a guy from Paradox and didn't know it. When he said who he worked for I said, "Y'know I've been dealing with some guy at Paradox about illustrating a Robert E. Howard project . . . " The guy said "Tim Bradstreet?" I said "Jay?" and as it tuns out the guy I've been talking to for months is the very same guy sitting right next to me. Totally hilarious. Great to finally meet those guys and it looks like I'll be picking up the mammoth job of ilustrating one of their Howard books. More news on that soon!

The Mutant Chronicles screening.

We pretty much ate and ran, still chewing our food as we humped it back to the convention center for the screening.

Once there, Tom, Simon, and Jeff Conner from Pressman introduced the film, explaining that it is still a work in progress, a rough cut.

They wanted fan reaction and are searching to pick up some additional financial help to complete the film.

Rarely have I been witness to a better crowd. there was cheering throughout the film and huge applause at the end.

5 years ago I don't think you could have shown a rough cut to an audience and had them understand that what they were seeing was by no means the finished product. Even when you tell people it's not finished they still want to read too much into what they are seeing. The internet has loosened the bonds on grasping this. Audiences are more savvy now. The film is not graded yet for the most part, flying blood is not color timed and suffers for it, the audio is a mess, there are still some major things in the editing to work out. The fans accepted this for what it was and loved it. The theater was pretty much packed. It was a smashing success.

Biggest applause came when Tom Jane utters the classic line "I don't get paid to believe, I get paid to fuck shit up".

After the film there was a Q&A with Pressman, Jane, Perlman, Aoki, and Simon Hunter. Fans got to ask questions and that turned out cool.

After the Q&A there was a meet and greet cocktail party attended by the film's creators and stars. Winners of the AICN Mutant Chronicles "write in" posted by Quint were invited along as well. Perlman was mobbed, naturally ;)

The evening was a total blast.

Sunday (day 4)

Made it to the show early again! This low stress thing is great.

Spent the morning in the RAW booth, a repeat of days 1 through 3. Glorious.

At 1pm I wandered over to my art dealer's booth to sign for a few hours.

My buddy-pal Lee Bermejo came by and we FINALLY got a chance to catch up.

Also had a great time with Mitch Brightwieser and his wife, cool as shit folks.

Jim Lee stopped by and Bermejo and I chatted with him and his entourage for a little while.

Nice and relaxing.

Went back to the RAW booth and hung out for the last few hours.

Niles and his gal (my pal) Sarah Wilkinson (awesome artist) dropped by and there were hugs and kisses.

He'd been jumped out in front of the convention only minutes earlier by some dipshit asshole who has been spamming him with threatening emails of late.

This all ties into the Matt Busch (Bush, Bucsh?) drama that has been going on for the last few years. Some people just never get tired of moving on or being assholes.

That guy takes offense to what I say here? Tough shit.

One small drama, not bad.

Booth breakdown was a breeze, we were also joined this weekend by my pal Chris Frobose who gave us a helping hand.

Annual Sunday evening gathering at Horton's was nice and relaxing. Todd, Tom, Hess, Brian McQuery, Mark Walters, Jim Daly, ERock, Jaime Mendoza, and some of our Aussie pals broke bread and had a few drinks together before Tom, Todd, Mark, and I headed over to the Annual Graphitti Dead Dog party graciously hosted by Bob Chapman. This year's theme was a celebration of the life and art of Dave Stevens, and also a celbration of Dave's 53rd Birthday which is today. Bob, William Stout, and Paul Chadwick shared some anecdotes about Dave with everyone. Everyone who was invited got a complimentary "BULLDOG STUDIOS" T-shirt with the classic art by Dave. On the back it said "Happy birthday Dave. We miss you." I hung around with Palmiotti, tipped some steam with my pal John Cassaday (we're going to do something together real soon), Met Dave Gibbons, had some drinks with Ron T from LAST GASP, Talked at Frank Miller for a few minutes, licked the icing off of Diana Schutz's forhead (she did an honorary face plant in the cake), tickled Bob Schreck's ass, met some cool folks I never met before, and enjoyed what I like to call, "The family Reunion".

I'm leaving out a lot, but I'm not one to kiss and tell.

Great weekend.

- TB

Here's a better look, just remember, jpeg compression KILLS the real color.

This is not entirely accurate.

We brought our big Dave Stevens cover over to the Dead Dog party to honor Dave.

We'll post some pics when we get to it.

BP6Stevenscovorcolor22fTD2F.jpg

Enjoy - TB

Again, I was able to open it just fine, but will drop here for a better look for those of you without Safari.

- TB

Thanks Tim.

I got the error message using IE and using Safari, so I dunno.

I strive to be as computer illiterate as possible while still functioning minimally online.

k-skye

Sounds like it was a fun one. Dammit. I couldn't afford it this year so I stayed at home and drank. Well, Step Brothers made it okay. That flick was hilarious.

Wow! I got an advanced peek at BP 6? Thanks Tom! For those scratchin heads, it's up with the interview I posted for Bad Planet.

So... any Raw freebies still floatin around from SDCC? And did Farmer whip out his lightsaber?

Thomas and Tim I have admired your work for a long time, and meeting the two of you made Comic Con 08 (my first ever) Incredible!

2715401221_122a9a61dd_s.jpg

2716214796_8ce1cc37bc_s.jpg

Thanks again for allowing me to hang out with the two of you! I look foreward to seeing you guys again next year!

Scott

This report is very tempting ! Deeply next year ! :)

In regard to your works, including "Bad Planet", I would really read them. Unfortunately, they exist only in english, so for me it's a little difficult... :rolleyes:

Accordingly, I am a little foreign compared to this ... (intruder? :wacko: lol)

I am so relieved to hear that the Mutant Chronicles movie was so well received by the audience. Great sum-up Tim, cheers!

I am so relieved to hear that the Mutant Chronicles movie was so well received by the audience. Great sum-up Tim, cheers!

I really wish you all could have been there. Seeing a film with an audience like that reminds me why it's fun to go to the movies.

I'm also glad in a way that hardly a one of you DID see it. I'd rather you wait and get to see a finished product.

Incidentally, a very good friend of mine stopped in for the show. He's been living in Beijing for the last 2 years. It was a complete surprise to see him.

It was even more of a surprise when he handed me a black market DVD copy of The Mutant Chronicles, complete with cover art that was only approved and released in the last 3 weeks. The Pressman's were not too thrilled as you can imagine. This outright thievery is reprehensible. I have mixed feelings about P2P stuff, but to be selling bootleg DVD's of a film that isn't even finished yet just blows my mind.

- TB

At the outset, I am against P2P, but I must confess that at times, it is quite useful, because some films are unfortunately not available in some countries (many films with Thomas was never released in France by example). by cons, in other cases it is obvious that this can harm at films (box office, etc...).

Personally, I prefer a thousand times have a DVD film purchased : more "clean", with bonus, etc (I love the boxes collector), and ... legal !

For Mutant Chronicles, I will not have the pleasure of seeing this movie in theater, because apparently, again, it will not be distributed in France. It's lamentable...

For Mutant Chronicles, I will love to have the pleasure of seeing this movie in theater, but apparently, again, it will not be distributed in France. It's lamentable...

Don't be too sure of that. Once this film is actually finished and given a release in the states I'd think it's very possible it will show up in Europe on the big screen.

We'll know a lot more in the next 6 months. If it does go to DVD I predict it will have the same kind of grass roots, film festival success that preceded Bubba Ho-Tep.

That is, if Mutant can be further shaped into what it can be.

- TB