Sign in to follow this  
origin1950

100 FEET

I saw the announcement for this film over a year ago and I know it wrapped filming a while back.

100feetgv6.jpg

I'm happy to hear its almost here and I must say lookin better and better.

The last Eric Red movie that caught my eye was his dog vs werewolf fright fest Bad Moon. It really kicked ass and reminded me of good old 80s horror. It also made me hug my dog for no good reason.

Bad Moon is classic Red because after all - He made a name for himself by writing The Hitcher, which I proudly own.

I think this could be a good revival vehicle for him.

Famke I am an enormous fan of. She just keeps getting better with age like a fine wine.

This thing is set for an early 2009 release.

-TL

Eric touched base with me last year about doing a poster for this.

Then he went to Budapest to shoot the picture and we lost contact for a while.

I had an email database crash and had lost ALL of our previous correspondence.

I ended up talking to one of the producers and in spite of the things that Eric and I discussed concerning concept for the poster, I was put on a different tack.

I then created a design based on the conversation with producer guy (industry vet, real good eye, can't fucking remember his name).

Finally I got back in touch with Eric who was simply jazzed about the production. Famke is a pretty amazing dame. She worked her ass off and Eric was extremely pleased with the performance. Another Eric Red vet, Michael Paré is also on the scene. Love to see him make a comeback.

Anyway, Eric was not so happy with my design since it turned out differently than we had discussed.

What is a poor artist to do? I was under the impression that producer guy had picked up the creative ball and I was doing the right thing.

I was pretty bummed out that Eric didn't like it for the film.

He was extremely busy wrapping the movie and we sorta fell out of contact.

I never got paid for my work but that was really no big deal for me as I had done the stuff as a favor for Eric.

He's a great guy and I have a lot of respect for him.

We spent one afternoon on the phone for 3 hours. We talked Hitcher and Near Dark, and I got that fanboy opportunity to pick his brain.

Naturally, that was ga-ga geek time for me.

Then he wanted to know about Red Sky Diary and I spilled the story for him. He dug it big time and made some very astute suggestions to me about shaping it up.

Neat shit.

Anyway, Eric's script for 100 Feet was damned good. I could pretty much see the movie unfold, very visual. I can't wait to actually see it.

He had some really wonderful ideas about the ghost make-up and that should be cool to see fully realized (I saw some concepts).

I have some really wonderful stills from the film, great Famke shots. I wish I could share them here.

I'm going to throw caution into the wind and show you my rejected design.

Since I was never actually hired and have signed nothing, and since there seems to be an official poster now . . .

I can't think anyone would have a problem with my sharing it.

With a little more work I think it would have made a spectacular poster. Alas.

What do you think?

100ft.jpg

Understand too that I didn't have the Famke stills yet when I did this. I was using an existing image of Famke.

I think if I could take another pass at this using those shots it would be kick ass.

Also, check out my original concept -

100ft1a.jpg

I did this based on our initial conversation, before I read the script.

I was in quasi Saul Bass mode and used the leg with ankle bracelet as the anchor image.

More of a graphic design piece.

- TB

I'm diggin the [first] poster you did alot more than what they went for.

Their choice is very generic. Typical 2000's horror movie. Feels like One Missed Call or The Grudge.

Fortunately Famke's face is the center of attention for me when I'm looking at it - so I can get past the other shit.

Your poster has a very occult feel.

Like the whole movie is some kinda Indie horror project about hell.

I think this genre suits you well Street and you oughtta pursue whatever horror projects come your way.

As you may have read, I felt your poster for Warzone was off and didn't contrast the SDCC footage.

I like the poster on its own, but I can' possibly link it with the actual movie.

This on the other hand looks right on cue.

Maybe you need to start REQUESTING the final scripts to the film's you're designing posters for.

-TL

I think if Eric and I could have sorted all this out before he went to Budapest I'd have hit it squarely.

His idea was cool but we needed specific reference. It wasn't something I could manufacture.

It would have been a simple thing to actually shoot it on set at the Brownstone location had I been there.

Or the still photographer could have set it up pretty quick and got the shots if only we had planned it.

The communication blackout kinda fucked that, and by the time Eric and I spoke again it was too late to go back and get the shot.

I'd love to do some horror posters. Hopefully I'll have the chance soon. Getting ready to start on some Dark Country stuff and am getting excited.

I think scripts are a priority when working with this kind of imagery, and in addition, a conduit to the director or other creative entities is a real bonus.

Not sure why Eric didn't come back to me for this. I'd have done it for him for free.

As for Warzone, they really just wanted a Punisher shot. I think it turned out pretty well but I'd love to get another crack at it.

I don't hold out much hope for getting the theatrical gig since Palen kicked so much ass with that recent round of photo posters.

He knows I'm game though. Maybe I should get proactive and show them how I'd attack it. Could help.

So did ya see The Devil's Commandos teaser that we had hanging in our booth at SDCC?

You are going to go apeshit when you discover what all that is about.

- TB

100ft1a.jpg

I was in quasi Saul Bass mode and used the leg with ankle bracelet as the anchor image.

- TB

This one is very cool.

Also, when the fuck is a decent DVD of The Hitcher going to be released over here (with the original ending, which would be cool to see)? I was hoping for one when the shitty remake was released, but still nothing. Fuck it I might just import the R2 DVD.

great poster i think yours is actually better than the ones they used though some of their Korean posters were pretty good.

did you also do the teaser poster for The Finest?

it looks awefully similar to that

finest.jpg

I don't think Famke is still attached to that movie.

It looked good though, so fuck.

-TL

really? where'd you hear that she's no longer attached? i was really looking forward to that one

great poster i think yours is actually better than the ones they used though some of their Korean posters were pretty good.

did you also do the teaser poster for The Finest?

it looks awefully similar to that

finest.jpg

Holy shit they must be poaching my stuff!

Not that it's direct swipage but one has to wonder.

Yikes. Hmmmmmm.

When did that get released? The poster I mean.

- TB

"100 FEET, Famke Janssen stars in Eric Red's comeback horror"

You had me at "Famke"..! ;)

I dig this poster design.

100ft1a.jpg

- TB

And if I were you, Tim- I'd be watching what I threw out in the trash!

Holy shit they must be poaching my stuff!

Not that it's direct swipage but one has to wonder.

Yikes. Hmmmmmm.

When did that get released? The poster I mean.

- TB

i think they were using it in Cannes 2008

A number of different sites list the rest of the cast featured in the poster as still involved.

Famke seems to be the only one that's out.

A schedule conflict perhaps?

She's shooting 2 films this year, so that might be it.

-TL

aaah i understand now that doesn't mean she's out

i added the cast to IMDB and they refused to add her without an official annoucement given how her star meter is so much higher than the rest of the cast

and other sites copy from IMDB etc.

First thing, this erroneous IMDB stuff that mentioned or suggested Famke was out of 100 Feet was and is utter nonsense.

Especially when you consider that towards the beginning of this thread I mentioned the still shots from the shoot in Budapest.

Also, this film had already wrapped - With Famke starring before we even started this thread. I guess IMDB finally got their info straight.

This film has played at a couple of festivals but I've heard of no theatrical release info as of yet.

I just traded some emails with Yohko Kaneko, who runs Michael Paré's official website. They have some nice updates over there including a link for a clip to the film, more poster art etc . . . It's a nice site dedicated to one of our favorite actors. Check it out --> The Official Michael Paré Fan Club Website

Paré keeps a blog on there too.

Here's a link to the clip - > 100 Feet clip introduced by Eric Red

Lots more to look at here at Eric Red's Blog

Hopefully we'll have some new news on this film soon.

- TB

wow...bad news...SCI-FI channel hasn't shown a good original release in...um....hmmm, I don't think they have ever shown a good original release?...bodes ill for this flick. I'll check out the dvd version and more'n likely ignore the sci-fi chopped up version.