Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

in other words, shape it up or you'll be shipped out, folks.

we wanna heat what you've gotta say, as long as you know how to do it with civility.

TJ

I wish that was possible Tom but on the web.... hardly anything that people talk about is kept civil.

Guest FADoss

Isn't it sad that Tom has 4 posts on the board and one of them had to be wasted telling us to be nice to each other.

Heheh, well he's not much of a "forum guy" though he is an infamous lurker, no pun intended. Oop! no . . . ferget it.

Civility? Sure there is civility and I harken you to check out the Hellblazer boards to really see a community that respects one another for the most part. When the "Constantine" film was announced, in production, and then on display for all to rip on or embrace there was a lot of heated discussion both ways on the subject, but they somehow kept their collective pants up and refrained from taking shots at one another. -----> http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/

Still, it happens. The Punisher always ensures lively debates because of the wide demographic reading it. You got the young'uns who dig him because he's cool, wears a skull on his chest and kills people. You got the Military set 'cause he's ex-military, wears a skull on his chest and kills people. You got the longtime fans who liked a certain run under a certain writer that do not like where the character has gone from the classic days. You got people who dig the Ennis stuff and maybe even the Grant stuff but beyond that they are not onboard. You have Dolph fans, Jane fans, and now . . . without even a frame seen we have Stevenson fans. And all have their detractors as well. And on top of all of that we have the fans that have grown up and in some cases grown old with the Punisher who do not like their world (or their percieved world) of the Punisher being frigged with. Basically this character has a massive amount of die hard fans period.

There is no way to please all these people. Even if Scorsese came in and did a film based on the character I believe it would still not be universally loved. The reasons for that seem obvious. In an attempt to cross all demographics a filmaker would likely take a piece from here, a piece from there, to get the main pieces in place, or they might simply adapt from a single source to make things simpler. No matter what you do or how well you do it it's going to leave some fans in the cold. We can either embrace, or turn a blind eye and be bitter with what we're given. Nature of the beast.

Like it or love it, or not, here comes another incarnation of The Punisher. It's impossible for us to know what the new film will bring, even if you've read an early draft of the script online somewhere. People are going to have a preconcieved notion no matter what.

I think it's kind of fun. This is what the build up is all about right?

I'm thinking of changing this thread title to "The Punisher - Internet Warzone" ;)

Hey, knock yourselves out with discussion here, that's the whole point.

Just try to keep from knocking each other out.

Best - tb

Yeah Tim you're right big guy. You can't please everybody. Can't they try a bit harder though?

Ray photo aside, it seems from all the new articals coming out that they might have this thing nailed in terms of a dark action flick. I must say, I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing. Just as long as the Punisher costume does not have white viynal boots :D .

Lexi has posted on the SHH boards and it sounds like a photo of Jigsaw in on the way soon.

Yeah the action and tone sounds good from what I have been reading. I'm just bitching about some little things here and there. I'm sure a much better photo of Ray will hit the web soon.

Guest AdminGuyX

I post on about 3 or 4 boards daily, and they are, for the most part, very civil. I have my favorites to be sure (do I even have to say this is one of them now?) and along those lines, I consider myself part of a community. My community is important to me!

And I think we've got some cool neighbors here! Anyway . . .

The Punisher is one of those characters that has been written by so many, drawn by so many, and been through so many changes in print it's hard for me to say there is a right way or a wrong way to adapt The Punisher to film. It's a personal matter as much as your favorite kind of food is.

SO, I believe in the end you have to look to the truly "defining" moments of the characters career when you're adapting him to film. The popsicle and the blowtorch, for instance, was one of my favorite moments in the first film. I loved that it was included because I loved it when it was done in the comic. Mind you, the context of the two seperate scenes was very, very different. But I didn't mind, because it was exactly the kind of thing Frank Castle would do, in either context.

I have a feeling this new film isn't going to be interested in recreating moments from print, and that's OK. It is what it is.

Tim mentioned Constantine. I enjoyed the film, and I love the comic book. For me, the movie was so different I had no problem disconnecting one from the other. At the same time, I wholly understand the anger other fans had toward it.

I was looking forward to Tom's next take on Frank Castle, I think we all were, and at the same time I was hoping a fresh director would step in and bring a harder edge, a meaner presence, and a certain type of relentlessness to the character. And while I'm daydreaming, I REALLY want to see a visually stunning Punisher film.

My fingers are crossed.

And, also, while I'm daydreaming, I'll throw this out there at the risk of being off topic. I'd love to see Tom Jane and Will Patton in a film together where they have scenes together. Two of my favorite actors, and I think they could carry one hell of an action/suspense film.

OH, and PS - Tim, thanks for getting this thread back on line for those of us who are interested in discussing it.

Yeah, I'm not sure who made the decision to choose THAT pic to tantalize fans with . . .

But I do know how PR and unit publicity work at this stage. Sometimes I think it's retroactive to try and hide too much in the early stage (which is common practice). Instead I believe this is a case where they should have let the cat completely out of the bag so as to sell their new star properly and entirely. Wanna sell fans of the 2004 flick on the new film with no Tom Jane? Then show them a balls out hero shot of Stevenson, for better or for worse.

- t

Yeah, I'm not sure who made the decision to choose THAT pic to tantalize fans with . . .

But I do know how PR and unit publicity work at this stage. Sometimes I think it's retroactive to try and hide too much in the early stage (which is common practice). Instead I believe this is a case where they should have let the cat completely out of the bag so as to sell their new star properly and entirely. Wanna sell fans of the 2004 flick on the new film with no Tom Jane? Then show them a balls out hero shot of Stevenson, for better or for worse.

- t

I'm a Stevenson fan, but that photo really sucked... when I first saw it I thought somebody was playin' and photoshopped a pic of Segal...I'm LESS OPTIMISTIC...crude...

I'm a fan of Ray's as well. Fucking LOVE Rome, loved him in King Arthur.

I was looking through his website a couple weeks ago and came across some really cool pics of him and thought to myself, "Ray is going to look cool in this." The shots were of Ray with short hair (like Jane in '04), not close cropped, but short, which I wasn't really used to with Ray since I'd only ever seen him almost bald. When I DID see him with hair I breathed a sigh of relief 'cause he looked great. Not sure If I dig the slick back either, but, and no pun intended, it may grow on me. Just won't know until I see more. Judging anything by that ONE pic at this point is silly.

- TB

Hopefully they should be doing a awesome poster for this movie for advertising...

Tim your gonna make movie posters for them this go around?

Oh yeah, play nice everyone ;).

all of ya Should be ashamed, I'm in highschool, and I'm not going explosive here.

Guest FADoss

0000034933_20061021035740.jpg

raystevenson.jpg

1944_3.jpg

punisher.jpg

Some shots of Ray compared to some JRJR and other Punisher images...

Not a bad match...

0000034933_20061021035740.jpg

raystevenson.jpg

1944_3.jpg

punisher.jpg

Some shots of Ray compared to some JRJR and other Punisher images...

Not a bad match...

Yeah I can defiently see what you mean. But he's gotta have a mean stony stare lol.

Guest FADoss
Yeah I can defiently see what you mean. But he's gotta have a mean stony stare lol.

004KAR_Ray_Stevenson_002.jpg

004KAR_Ray_Stevenson_008.jpg

punisher-logo.jpg

stevenson_outpost.jpg

More like so?

004KAR_Ray_Stevenson_002.jpg

004KAR_Ray_Stevenson_008.jpg

punisher-logo.jpg

stevenson_outpost.jpg

More like so?

Bingo.

King Arthur was an Awesome movie.

Now mix the stony stare, and hair in to him, and a skull T-shirt.

Then it might be pretty awesome.

I'm looking at Ray as the Punisher the same way I look at my comics. I love the Punisher as a character, and currently there are two monthly titles. Punisher War Journal is great, and I love the hell out of the MAX, but when it all comes down to it, the Punisher in both are diffrent personalities.

Matt Fraction has taken the Punisher and added a comic edge to him, and that's cool. He's done a fantasic job with it.

Garth on the other hand has taken the Punisher into the darkest corners of humanity that the Punisher (as a character) has never been before. But that's what I love about the books. It's the same character that I love told in two diffrent ways. Look at Spider-Man or X-Men. Both of those have had about 10,000 diffent books with even more writers and most a new take. As a screen writer or director, which version do you take? Do you make up your own?

I see Warzone as a diffrent take on one of my favorite characters, for better or worse. Either way, it's not the final take on Frank, not by a long shot. And who knows, maybe one day Tom will get to take another stab at it. Frank in MAX is up there in age, so there is always hope.

As for Ray, he seems to have come a long way from not knowing anything about the books to getting caught up on Garth's version. I wish him the best.

Now, anyone have any thoughts on the whole "death by lobster" thing that's floating around?

Just like Tim said and I have said like 5 times throughout this forum, that one pic of Ray as Castle is not enough for people to go haywire and automatically think he looks like crap. The very first thing I did when I found out that Stevenson was cast as Frank was go online to his website and look at pics of him. I first looked at his face. Looks like Frank to me. Then I looked at his stature. Fuckin 6'4". That's a big Frank Castle. Not to mention that he has the body type that can easily be built into a muscular frame. My guess is that he probably weighs around 240-260.

When the MAX series began, I recall looking at some production pictures of how artist Lewis Larosa wanted him to look. He described him as "Big Guy, maybe 6'3", 240 pounds". In fact here's the sketch he made.....

punishersketch2.jpg

Now if you ask me, Stevenson definately has a good Punisher build. As for his face......

punisher-logo.jpg

pullo_02.jpg

This pic of Frank actually looks like Ray to me......

pwj2_001_sec.jpg

That intense, dark face has great texture and structure to be named Frank Castle. I honestly think that all 3 Punisher movies have casted actors who have or had the right Punisher look. The one shot released everyone keeps calling Steven Seagal doesn't mean squat. It's only one shot and Lord knows that nobody would ever make the Punisher look like Seagal. It's just a bad angle or just an all around bad picture for a first shot. He's gonna look great. I really believe that. Let's just see what happens with the movie. I'm not worried about how Ray is gonna look as Frank, or West is gonna look as Russo. I'm just worried about how the all around film will turn out.

Mr. Weber, I was actually thinking about that "lobster death" scene that was in a couple of the script reviews that I read and I look at is as one of the humerous kills in the movie or somthing along those lines you know? Just mowing everyone down with a machine gun, stabbing the shit out of people, and then a fuckin lobster. I think it would be funny. Either that or one of those kills where you see and and go "OOOOOOOOOOHHH.....SHIT!" Kind of like when Tom put broke Lincoln's arm, stabben it to the small of his back and then put a knife right through his jaw. I think it would be one of his more memorable kills.

Raff

Lol today at school, I got a comment from one of the kids in my math class that I look like frank Castle/Punisher (Tom Jane).

I started to laugh and said ok buddy.. lmao.

I get that sometimes too haha. I guess it's because I talk about 2 characters all day. The Punisher and Indiana Jones. So people tell me that when they see them that they remind them of me and vice versa. People are always like, the Punisher was on the other day and I thought of you! Same goes for Indy. I love it when that happens. I can't say that I look like either of them myself. I wish I did.

I get that sometimes too haha. I guess it's because I talk about 2 characters all day. The Punisher and Indiana Jones. So people tell me that when they see them that they remind them of me and vice versa. People are always like, the Punisher was on the other day and I thought of you! Same goes for Indy. I love it when that happens. I can't say that I look like either of them myself. I wish I did.

lmao I really don't talk bout any characters all the time, but from time to time, I get that I look like frank castle, and yeah, when they see the punisher movie, they say he reminded them of me.lol

I also have a spirit week at school, which was a while back this year, and I went as Wolverine.. They said I looked like freakin wolverine... I still get people till this day saying hey its wolverine!

lol atleast im entertained...

But I Guess I can say I look sort of like the punisher I guess come to think of it..

Well, thanks guys, I love those shots comparing Ray to the book art. I have to agree that he does look the part. I won't freak out over one bad pic. I am looking forward to seeing this movie when it hits the theatres.

Ray was great in Rome, without a doubt my favorite character. I can easily see him doing justice to the role of Frank Castle Jr.