Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

You are correct Fred. The thing is that the costume isn't that much different though aside from the neck guard and flak jacket. The thing I'm hoping to see is a t-shirt. Not many people like the skull he has but I'm sure that skull would look more than decent on a black tee in my opinion.

As for Stevenson's physique, I've got no idea. Never made it to the set because my friggin passport is expired.

As for other costumes I'd say that if Lexi said he wears different costumes then I guess she'd know right?

As for the skull being too dark, I haven't seen anything different on that front then what the rest of you have.

I'm not wild about it being hard to read, AND, I'd have loved a crack at the redesign, but it is slowly growing on me, and after all, it's there.

As for the costume we DO see Ray wearing I think it's badass. But I've had the benefit of some much better looks at it.

From a practical standpoint I think it makes a lot of sense to wear this type of body armor before you step into a room with 35 bad guys with guns pointed at you.

I think the neck piece is a nice addition, to me it makes him look even more imposing. And it makes sense right? Frank's no idiot. He knows combat. Does it make him a pussy if he doesn't like the idea of being shot in the throat or groin? Headshot aside (and anyone has to take their chances there so as to see with good mobility, sacrifice defense for offense), you stand a good chance of living through a firefight if you protect the vitals. If I'd have had the budget I might have tried something like this with my covers provided it made sense to the story.

What I know for a fact is that people will bitch if their fucking Ice Cream is cold.

Me included ;)

- TB

Guest FADoss

We all wear similar neck collars in Afghanistan/Iraq (or at least I did). Good costume choice.

I don't mind it at all but I want at least one more costume. Dolph had 2 costumes in '89, Jane had 2 costumes in '04, and I think Ray should have 2 costumes in '08.

You're right about the ice cream Tim. Another reason I don't eat it ;)

I don't mind it at all but I want at least one more costume. Dolph had 2 costumes in '89, Jane had 2 costumes in '04, and I think Ray should have 2 costumes in '08.

You're right about the ice cream Tim. Another reason I don't eat it ;)

It's almost definite the trenchcoat/shirt combo will make an appearance, as well as the tactical/war gear. Two already, and there are other variations we can speculate on.

The other wardrobe I was hoping for was the trenchcoat/shirt combo.

Funnily enough, Tom recently said to me that if he would have done Warzone he would not have worn the trench coat again.

I may have tried to talk him into a redesign, but he was adamant that he wanted something else as the signature look.

- TB

Tom could have just done the black leather jacket along with the tee like Frank does in the MAX series sometimes. What was wrong with the trench coat? I thought it gave a good signature look and I know it was really hot in Tampa but I'm sure a leather trench coat in Montreal would have been nice. If it was the weather that made him dislike it that is. Why didn't you design the costume for War Zone Tim?

Tom could have just done the black leather jacket along with the tee like Frank does in the MAX series sometimes. What was wrong with the trench coat? I thought it gave a good signature look and I know it was really hot in Tampa but I'm sure a leather trench coat in Montreal would have been nice. If it was the weather that made him dislike it that is. Why didn't you design the costume for War Zone Tim?

I'm guessing they never asked him.

Why didn't you design the costume for War Zone Tim?

I wasn't asked.

That was probably one of the first things they tackled in preproduction, and at the time I wasn't sure they were going to involve me at all, pursuant to my relationship with Tom. I didn't invite myself aboard, I waited to see if they wanted me involved in any way. I probably could have made some calls and volunteered or offered my services in a "work on the production" capacity, but with Tom out I wasn't sure I wanted in at that point.

- TB

Well... the vest really was the best thing on screen in the last one. That's the look that says "that's it, I'm done screwing around." The look for Castle in War Zone is pretty much the look I was hoping for. Somebody on SHH nailed it... he looks like Castle did in the final issue of "Kitchen Irish," which is ready to fight in cold conditions.

I can definitely understand Ray's costume for the cold and for large casualty conditions. However as I mentioned before, I'd like to see another costume.

I'm entering into the Punisher 2 fray for a bit here, with some news from Kurt Sutter's official blog. He's removing his name from the screenwriter credits, mainly because not much of his draft is in the final version, but there are other reasons too. You can read all about it in his blog here:

http://sutterink.blogspot.com/2008/02/puni...one-update.html

Jen

I like that Sutter is upfront about all of it. He gives the credit where it's due somehow, someway. lol.

Also this article was released today....

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=31361

p.s.

I think we're due for a few more War Zone pics!!!!

-Raf

Kurt Sutter posted to his blog again, doing a little 'clearing up of the issues', so to speak:

http://sutterink.blogspot.com/2008/02/puni...ibe-amends.html

It's funny what he says about not many people reading his blog, until his involvement with Punisher 2, and then, bam!, tons of hits... :lol:

Jen

NEW INTERVIEW WITH RAY STEVENSON:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/855/855338p1.html

Exclusive: Frank Castle Speaks

IGN talks to actor Ray Stevenson about playing The Punisher in Warzone.

by IGN Staff

February 27, 2008 - IGN recently spoke with Ray Stevenson... No, not the country singer that sang all those crazy songs in the '80s... that's Ray Stevens! This is Ray Stevenson, the guy who plays comic book anti-hero The Punisher/Frank Castle in the new movie.

We asked Ray about his experience working on Punisher: War Zone, at which point he dropped to the floor and did 50 push-ups while holding a semi-automatic rifle up to our head. We promised never to make fun of his name again. This is the conversation that followed...

IGN: You're about to embark on what I'm sure many people hope will be the first of several great Punisher films. What was it like tackling the character?

RAY STEVENSON: It was fantastic. It was beyond any of my expectations. I didn't watch the Thomas Jane film beforehand. We were taking a completely new slant. We weren't doing numbers. It's not Punisher 3; it's Punisher: War Zone. We're going exclusively for the MAX series with Garth Ennis writing and Tim Bradstreet doing the cover illustrations. That was the look – the New York, night-time predator, with all the incredible, dark psyche that goes along with him. Certainly not a superhero, but an anti-hero.

IGN: And again – a strong character with legitimate depth.

STEVENSON: This guy is really on a trajectory. Things have happened in his life; he's a vigilante. Some people are beyond redemption and it doesn't matter how many criminal dollars you have to buy the very best criminal lawyers – if you're beyond redemption, that's it. One of the lines from Garth: "If you work for the devil, you better be prepared to die for him." When you really get behind and underneath that, it's a very dark place to be. It's a very human feeling, but to actually systematically go about it as a mission – as a job of work – you know that you're damned. Every choice you make only damns you deeper. There's no light at the end of your tunnel, but you're doing it so that other people can live in that light.

IGN: Would you be ready to don the trench-coat and t-shirt again?

STEVENSON: Hopefully, we'll get a franchise. I'd be delighted to play Frank again. We've opened him with this one; we've opened up wounds. It was a very interesting journey as an actor because it really does raise some quite severe moral and social issues. The state can still kill people, but we can't license individuals to kill people. We've advanced, as it were. Yet if somebody harmed my son, I would absolutely stop their seed. I don't think I'd be big enough, or magnanimous enough, to allow due process. And if they got off, how would I feel then? But where is the advancement if we constantly revert back to eye-for-an-eye, to the ancient law of retribution? Are you happy that he's out there, knowing full well that you'll never be a target? But what if you transgress? Where does he draw his line? And if we entertain, and at the same time hold up a mirror, then we're in…

IGN: Jigsaw is obviously the villain with this film, but what other Punisher villains would you like to go up against?

STEVENSON: There's obviously Barracuda. He's indestructible. It's that old paradox – the unstoppable force meets the immovable object. But I think that the most interesting thing for me is that Frank is constantly coming up against Frank. He's always his own greatest adversary. Hopefully, it doesn't sound too patsy. It's not meant to be diversionary. Jigsaw has been an amazing adversary, but in the long scheme of things, Frank still has a core of what it really means to be human. It's just a question of what constitutes a soul – of what is good and what is bad – and so his greatest adversary of all time with always be himself.

IGN: So what's next?

STEVENSON: I'm just about to go up to New Orleans to start a movie called Cirque du Freak with Selma Hayek, John C. Riley and Ken Wantanabe. I'm playing the lead vampire – the lead bad-guy…This will be great fun. Here I get a chance to play a bourgeoning Stalin or Hitler. It should be such a romp. It's creature, it's carnival, it's traveling street show. It should be a hell of a ride!

Thanks to norse_sage from the GPA.

I put an interview with Doug Hutchison under "The Punisher" thread; can someone move it here?

Tiara's original post from the TJ Punisher thread, as per request.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actor Doug Hutchinson appears in the upcoming 'Punisher: War Zone' as Looney Bin Jim, a character created for the screen by director Lexi Alexander. Comicus.it sat down with the actor for an in-depth Q & A (presented in both Italian and English).

English version: Interview by Carlo Coratelli

Translation by Andrea Cassola

2/24/08

Welcome to Comicus. First of all, who is Looney Bin Jim?

Looney Bin Jim is described by another character in the movie as a cross between "Hannibal Lecter and Hitler". He's the only character in the film that does not exist in the graphic novel. LBJ is an invention of Lexi Alexander, the director/writer.

What is your relationship with Jigsaw and the Punisher, the two main characters of the film?

Looney Bin Jim is Jigsaw's brother and Frank Castle's worst nightmare.

Recently, on your official website, you said that for this role director Lexi Alexander let you free you instincts. How would describe your preparation to do this?

I changed physically. LBJ resided in an asylum for the criminally insane for 10 years. So, I shaved my head and worked diligently with our make-up artist to add a pale pallor, dark circles under my eyes, and a gaunt "craziness" to my appearance. I worked with our dialect coach to hone a Brooklyn accent. Also, LBJ disintegrates both mentally and physically throughout the film as his medication wears off and he grows increasingly violent. I "scored" the script (and my character arc) with Lexi in order to keep track of the gradual transformations. Other than that, I just had a hell of a lot of fun playing a deranged psycho!

Let’s talk about Lexi Alexander. Many people describe her as a fighter. How would you describe her approach to a film like Punisher War Zone?

Lexi's a visionary. She's also a "fighter". Indeed! She fought for me, she fought for Ray Stevenson, and she fought for every single aspect of her vision. We had extensive rehearsals. She and Steve Gainer (our DP) came up with a mind-blowing lighting scheme. I completely trusted Lexi's direction and she, in turn, totally trusted us to bring her characters to life.

What kind of movie-style do you think Punisher War Zone draw up? Is it a sort of urban western, as the previous movie, or is it nearer to classics like The French Connection?

This movie will be nothing like any of the previous Punisher films. In fact, it's not a sequel. It's its own entity. "Punisher: War Zone" is going to blow you away visually. It will be very close to the "look" of the graphic novel. The lighting, the sets, the costumes, the style: all of it is going to have a dynamic gothic gritty urban timeless feel. I think it's going to look as stunning as something like "Blade Runner".

Can you talk about Dominic West, alias Jigsaw?

Dominic and I had a virtual blast together. A lot of laughs! We also worked to find moments of "brotherly love" in our scenes whenever we could. Hopefully, our "tenderness" to one another is gonna come off disturbing as Hell because our characters are such monsters.

You shot some scenes together with the protagonist, Ray Stevenson. What can you tell us about him?

Ray was an absolute pro and a delight to work with. I saw some rough-cut scenes and Ray delivers a poignant stoic heart-felt performance. Ray IS The Punisher.

I suppose that in the movie there will be a confrontation between your character and Stevenson’s. I think this encounter, besides being a physical fight, also has psychological sides. Is there a dialogue, some lines, according you, that underscore this aspect? If so, can you give us a sample, or describe it, without spoiling too much?

LBJ promises Jigsaw that he will "kill Castle, slowly and painfully". Ray and I have a fight scene in the movie that is gonna knock your socks off! It's violent, vicious, and relentless. I'm not gonna tell ya who wins, though!

During these weeks we’ve heard many cast members talking about a very strong resemblance between cast and crew on the set. Can you tell us some funny backstage stories?

Dominic hated his Jigsaw prosthetics. Absolutely HATED it! The poor guy had to sit in the FX make-up chair for approximately 3 hours every day. So, I was constantly ribbing him about it. Saying: "I'm glad I'm playing LBJ and not Jigsaw, you poor bastard". Dom would look at me with that disgusting Jigsaw face and say (in his dry English accent): "Fuck you".

An unusual question: I know you fell in love with Montreal... have you plans of getting back there?

As a matter of fact, I just returned to Montreal for 2 weeks and I'm going back in March for another week. I adore Montreal. It's a clean, safe, gorgeous, exciting city. I'm actually looking into buying property there. Next to New York City, Montreal has my heart.

What are your future projects?

I'm producing an internet-based webisodic series called "Vampire Killers". It's like "Cops" meets "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". We're shooting the Pilot in Spring '08. I'm also hoping to direct my screenplay, "The Damned", in the not so distant future. "Punisher: War Zone" opens in September. Another Lion's Gate film I starred in, "The Burrowers", will hopefully be opening soon as well. Other than that, I'm planning to resume my Art of Stillness acting workshops/classes sometime this Summer. I like to teach.

Thank you Tim.

NEW INTERVIEW WITH RAY from http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/29/27229.php

From what I heard from her, it seems like this is a much much darker movie than the first Punisher. Can you elaborate at all on that?

Ray Stevenson: Oh, are you talking about the Dolph Lundgren Punisher?

No, the Thomas Jane Punisher.

Ray Stevenson: Oh, so the second one. This is the big misconception. People have been throwing numbers at this thing, saying we were Punisher 2, and I'm going, 'No we're fucking not. We're Punisher 3.' But who's counting. This is a complete reinvention of the wheel, as it were. This is going right back to the Max series, I think the fans are really going to love this. I was so thrilled, and so humbled to be involved in this. I find it hard to talk about it, because I'm so excited about it. Warner Brothers are excited about it, Marvel is excited about it. I'm just completely jazzed about it. They showed me some poster ideas, which Tim Bradstreet himself had done as well. I think it's going to be something really really special.

Do you have any word on when a trailer might be coming out for that?

Ray Stevenson: I was shown a teaser that Lexi just put together, and (Laughs). What can I say. If you're a fan of the comic books, if you like this genre, I mean, this is an R-rated Punisher War Zone. We're not a $100 million, blow everything up type of movie. The War Zone happens internally as much as it does externally, and I think the fans of the comic book are as much into the psyche and the psychology and the philosophy behind these characters as they are into the action set pieces. I think they deliver on all levels.

Do you have any idea when we might see that teaser

Ray Stevenson: I don't. I don't, unfortunately. Put a call through to Lionsgate and see if they're going to release any trailer. I don't know. We're just in post-production.

I didn't know you'd already done some poster work, Tim. When can we see it?