Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

Guest AdminGuyX

Well shit. I was going to reply to some of TL's comments about Ray, but that was like 5 pages, and 100 mother fuckers ago. So, I'll just post some general feelings about what's been posted.

The music in that scene from Rome SUCKED like a hoover.

Personally I don't need Frank Caste to be intimidating. Intimidation is a weakness anyway, and a function of insecurity. It's the kind of thing insecure people do to other insecure people. It does not equal capable, strong, or badass. I need Frank Castle to be capable, strong, and badass, and able to kill 25 gladiators when he's standing toe to toe with them.

And TL, whether you agree or not, I feel Ray was believable killing all those gladiators. That is a good scene, but that music was . . . not good at all.

Frank Castle is supposed to be average, by the way. He was an average every day family man. For me, that's a very important aspect of his character.

But TL I'm not surprised you're rallying so hard against Ray. I expected that you would, and you have. I'm not surprised you're taking it to the level you are, and hating everything you see from him. That's just your thing.

Lets try to keep in mind that we've seen 1 shot of Steven Seagal, and now 3 teeny tiny shots of Ray on Lexi's blog.

A few low res, online still shots does not a movie make.

Honestly though, Clint Eastwood is a pacifist in real life (he is a politician too), and Mickey Rourke is, I'm told, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet in person. A real "sweetheart" so says Robert Rodriquez. Maybe you should consider those real life personality traits more than the characters these guys play on screen TL.

For me, Clint Eastwood has been an inspiration in his real life choices. He's one of the best directors around, and he's a caring person who never lets the people he knows, or the people he works with feel slighted. My understanding is that he goes out of his way to make sure his films are a good experience for all those involved. That's incredibly rare. Though it does seem like Tom Jane is following in his footsteps!

Viggo is also a pacifist. He took the other guys on the LOTR on fishing trips and camping trips, and also, my understanding is that he's a quiet soft spoken man in his daily life. Again, he's an inspiring person to me because he seems to carry himself with dignity and respect.

I'm sure that if he had ever been cast as Frank Castle he would have done very well, but I'd rather see him play Mack Bolan to be honest.

Anyway, back on TOPIC!

I'm looking forward to the trailer for War Zone more than new pictures. Do we have any idea when a trailer is supposed to hit the street?

Anybody?

No idea yet Noeland. Unless someone else has heard otherwise?

Noeland, if you think intimidation is not an important part of the Punisher's persona (because you consider it a weakness), and you feel he's just average, then maybe Steve Buscemi should play him.

As for the on and off-screen comparisons of Rourke, Eastwood and Mortensen - I made sure to clarify that I was referring to their badass personifications in film, not outside of it.

In response to the Stevenson disection, Noeland you know that despite my hard attitude towards Stevenson, I spoke only truth about his highlights.

-TL

I think Stevenson does look pretty intimidating. Where Jane had a really great "pissed and not letting it go" look to him (particularly the final fight scene, great expressions) Stevenson comes to it with a strong "I'm going to get you and there's nothing you can do to stop it" look to him. He looks like he will do whatever he has to in order to put his enemies in the ground. The former is more of a classic Punisher thing (he was REALLY angry, but he had a lot of lines he wouldn't cross.) The latter is more of an Ennis thing. Both can be supported by the comics.

We've only seen a little bit of the "shove your face in a meat grinder" Punisher on screen, and that's really what has been missing... I'm sure that's why they're going with the speculated ultra violent approach to the new movie. The Punisher video game HAD to take the violence approach... that's pretty much the only part of the character's life you'd want to pick up a controller for... but as a result, the story and unflinching brutality of the character was highly regarded.

In the recent audio interview with Alexander, she mentions a brawl between the Punisher and Agent Budiansky... and that's the kind of boundary twisting that I'd really like to see: what would make a man who is stone-cold opposed to criminality mix it up with law enforcement? Probably going to be a memorable scene.

Guest AdminGuyX

Tim, I've only seen a few episodes of Rome. I seem to record the same ones on the DVR every time I record one. But I'm interested in it now to see Ray's chops. So far I like it. I'll have to see if it's available on demand. Is it out on DVD yet?

HEY TL, what's wrong with Buscemi? If he bulked up and fixed his teeth he could do it!!

:) Yeah, yeah, I'm just kidding. Don't flame me. Just kidding around.

One of the reasons I enjoyed Tom's portrayal of the character was because he didn't try to play it for intimidation. He played it as an average family man thrown into hell, who suddenly had to make sense of all of this loss, pain, and anguish. He had to live through it, he had to do something about it, and fall back on his past training and experience. The only way to deal with it was to kill a whole bunch of bad people who needed killing.

I'm very interested to see Ray's take on it, hear his voice, see what kind of physicality he brings to the character, and see what the action looks like. Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't, but I'm kind of anxious to see how I react to the first bits of footage we get!

I hope the whole film isn't candy colored, but I like that color is being brought into the visuals. Though I have to say if we got a Punisher that had the look and feel of Saving Private Ryan, well, I'd fucking love it.

We've only seen a little bit of the "shove your face in a meat grinder" Punisher on screen

I agree. I usually pop in Denzel Washington in Man on Fire and pretend I'm watching The Punisher when he was a black guy for a little while. :)

But I prefer that kind of character. The simple, matter of fact, capable killer. He's not perfect, he's not posing or "trying" to be a badass. He does what he does well, and he's not flashy about it. He's not evil, just ruthless in his measures.

I haven't played the video game, but I have heard it's pretty good.

Anyway, lets hope for the best with Lexi and Ray. The pictures give it a very hightened, sort of fantasy reality vibe. The remind me a bit of the second Crow film.

Njc-----------

Tim, I've only seen a few episodes of Rome. I seem to record the same ones on the DVR every time I record one. But I'm interested in it now to see Ray's chops. So far I like it. I'll have to see if it's available on demand. Is it out on DVD yet?

We've been watching it through netflix, so I guess that means yes, it is out on DVD. The gladiator scene Raffi posted from YouTube is, I believe, on Series I disc 5. I did not like it with the classical music on YouTube.

I only started getting the Rome discs so as to see Ray Stevenson on screen, but I am enjoying Rome and recommend it, especially to anyone who likes history. I am learning a lot from the special features that are included with it.

-Vicki

Guest AdminGuyX

Definately looks like he's wearing not only tactical armor, but bomb squad armor with the neck guard.

How much older than Tom is Ray? They definately went older than I thought they would for the role.

Love the lighting in that alley.

Ray is 42. Tom is turning 39 in 18 days.

That's the picture I was waiting for to be developed in a higher resolution. Thanks buddy.

Correction, Ray is 43 turning 44 on the 24th of May. Tom will still be 39 on the 22nd of this month ;)

Definately looks like he's wearing not only tactical armor, but bomb squad armor with the neck guard.

It makes me wonder if they're going to keep him covered from the neck down through the whole film. Although this is New York, not Tampa. As much as folks didn't like the '04 Punisher being set in Tampa, it gave plenty of opportunity for Jane's incarnation of The Punisher to be in a t-shirt (or not) so that we could see all the work he'd put into creating the physical persona of Frank Castle. If Stevenson is about the same, physically, as he was when he portrayed Titus Pullo in Rome, he will be no comparison to either Jane's '04 Punisher or Bradstreet's depictions of him on his fantastic covers. But, who knows, since so little has been released so far.

I'm a little more concerned about what Stevenson will sound like. As far as I know, he hasn't done anything with an American accent before. Anybody know? For me at least, the sound is as important as the look. With his height and facial features, he can certainly look fierce enough. I hope he can pull it off when he starts talking.

It makes me wonder if they're going to keep him covered from the neck down through the whole film. Although this is New York, not Tampa. As much as folks didn't like the '04 Punisher being set in Tampa, it gave plenty of opportunity for Jane's incarnation of The Punisher to be in a t-shirt (or not) so that we could see all the work he'd put into creating the physical persona of Frank Castle. If Stevenson is about the same, physically, as he was when he portrayed Titus Pullo in Rome, he will be no comparison to either Jane's '04 Punisher or Bradstreet's depictions of him on his fantastic covers. But, who knows, since so little has been released so far.

I'm a little more concerned about what Stevenson will sound like. As far as I know, he hasn't done anything with an American accent before. Anybody know? For me at least, the sound is as important as the look. With his height and facial features, he can certainly look fierce enough. I hope he can pull it off when he starts talking.

Yeah, it wouldn't help if he opened his mouth and sounded like Timmy Turner.

But I was a really big fan of ROME. In one episode he took his friends, wifes, lover down into the sewers and killed him. But 1st he cut the guys thumbs off...nice. Ray sold me then ass a bad ass. He pulled it off with being very intimidating and low key. He'll be just fine as the character, attitude and vocals. I'm still a bit nervous that it is still so hush hush. But I do like what little I've seen since that 1st god awful pic that was released.

From an interview in Wizard:

Wizard: Is this a different Frank Castle than we saw in the first film?

Stevenson: He's not there to protect the innocent, he's there to punish the corrupt. He exists in the dark so others can live in the light. I think he's an epic, doomed character. He knows he is doomed. People will hopefully be thankful they don't have to go [to that dark place] themselves, but they can't wait to see how he deals with the next guy [laughs].

Wizard: How are you enjoying the guns?

Stevenson: The guns are like an extension of [the Punisher]. They're not there to pose with or be flashed around. If he pulls one out, it's gonne be fired. We did an awful lot of hand-to-hand combat training as well, even though his martial arts training would have been so long ago that he's more adept to street fighting. He's got an arsenal of moves, but it's not a kicking movie or a martial arts movie at all. He is the weapon.

Wizard: The sequel had a bumpy road to production; were you nervous signing up for a film that's changed hands so many times?

Stevenson: I took the movie because [director] Lexi [Alexander] called me up in England and we had a chat, and I just wanted to work with her. I was aware there was another "Punisher" movie, but I hadn't seen the Thomas Jane one before until I was way into training and I just saw it out of curiosity.

Wizard: Since you're not using your native accent in the film, can I hear a little bit of your Frank Castle?

Stevenson: Uhh... can you pay me? [Laughs]

Wizard: Give us this one on credit, and I'll hit you back after the flick opens.

Stevenson: [Laughs] Okay, then. Let me see [in deep, middle American growl] "I see you anywhere near hell and I'll kick your ass out." That's taken from Garth Ennis. We're gonna get a lot of that in there. There's a lot of growl. We are doing a generic American accent. He's not from Brooklyn. He's an iconic American who's traveled to Vietnam, he's military -- He's hopefully what's been breathing and brooding in people's minds.

Guest FADoss

The fact that the man spoke the name "Garth Ennis" makes me much more confident in the film.

:)

It makes me wonder if they're going to keep him covered from the neck down through the whole film.

I was worried about that myself because I don't like that bomb squad suit. I read elsewhere that he is going to have more than one uniform on. In fact it was on a message board on Ray's website and Ms. Lexi Alexander stated that herself. So I have one less thing to worry about there.

-Raf

Guest AdminGuyX

He also said "Vietnam" which made me smile, bigtime.

I'm digging the high res closeup of him with the plate armor. Least it looks like plate armor.

He looks the part though in that shot. Looks great.

The skull I'm just not feeling that skull, but I like the rest of it.

Great shot of Ray.

Not really concerned that he takes his shirt off or has bulging muscles. Sorry KS :) But I understand what you mean!

Njc-----------------

ps- I wouldn't be surprised if this punisher look becomes very popular as convention costumes.

Guest FADoss

About the armor...if you plan on wading into an army of thugs, you WANT armor. I'd rather have armor then plan on the enemy MISSING. :)

Frederic

I was worried about that myself because I don't like that bomb squad suit. I read elsewhere that he is going to have more than one uniform on. In fact it was on a message board on Ray's website and Ms. Lexi Alexander stated that herself. So I have one less thing to worry about there.

-Raf

I'm pretty sure that was the fake Lexi, that said that.

I think you gotta look a this just like any other film in terms of what has or has not been released to the public yet.

I don't believe there is any reason for nervousness in terms of what we've been offered so far.

I don't have any inside information and this purely my own speculation based on things I've learned about this industry over the years.

So please don't take this as any kind of official statement.

They only wrapped production a month ago. Right now they are doing a few pick up shots in Montreal based on Lexi's blog.

There was no time to make a teaser trailer prior to production as was the case in '04.

And that may or may not have been a mistake depending on how you reacted to it at the time.

Memory informs me that a lot of folks were disheartened by Jane's look in that teaser. His hair wasn't dyed black yet right?

I just remember folks being very critical of it.

As I mentioned above, this production chose to get into production rather than waste time and resources on a teaser.

It seems to me that getting the film finished, cut, and into post production is the focus here.

A teaser is I'm sure very much on their minds but that will come in time.

If it were me I wouldn't want to rush something out just to alleviate speculation.

So I'd say take the lack of consumables with a grain of salt.

They are barely into post production. I would bet it might still be a few months before we see a teaser.

It's always a waiting game with a project of this nature, and I mean films in general. We should consider ourselves fortunate because of this age of internet and high flying, fast news - getting access to the filmmaker's views, production updates, etc . . . We are offered information very early, additional info is doled out in small increments along the way to keep us interested. Making a film is a long arduous process and I'd think you have to be somewhat realistic about the amount of stuff we're given during that process. If Warzone had a huge budget they likely could have thrown a few more bells and whistles into the mix, made the time to do a teaser, thrown major dough at a website, etc . . . But this isn't an Iron Man or a Batman budget.

Having just worked on a film with roughly a 4 million dollar budget I can tell you without any doubt that there is only so much you can afford to do in terms of EARLY promotion. And in a lot of cases the studios themselves have to see what they have before they can even begin to approach things from a marketing standpoint.

13 million isn't going to garner a heck of a lot more in this case. Filming in Montreal VS filming in New Mexico is a major difference monetarily. We probably got double out of our production budget by filming in NM. Montreal is much more affordable than filming in NY but it's still damned expensive. And we shot for 8 weeks VS Warzone filming for 10 plus.

Anyway, as fans we're going to speculate, get nervous, get excited, talk the pros and cons until we're blue in the face and our fingers get numb from discussing it on message boards, that's what we do right! ;) No matter what it is, now that we're securely dropped ground zero in the information age, we're going to microscope it all.

That's kind of what's fun about it.

I don't know if this film will kick ass or fall flat on it's face.

But I do know that it won't be out in theaters until September, and along the way there will be much more to see and discuss.

And patience goes a long way.

- TB

I'm cautiously looking forward to it. The cast seems great and from the recent photos seems like the look of it will be great. My only real worry is the story.

Well aside from the bomb sqaud suit thingie, which isn't all that bad, Ray has an excellent Punisher face.

Mike - You're probably right about that being the fake Lexi on the message boards. This was on the Stevenson website as opposed to the other message board though. Still, like I said, you're probably right. I would like to see more uniforms though.

Tim - I just wanna know, is Ray like really buff and defined? I ask this because one of the picture I saw of him training with the weapons and shit. Yeah he was big in those pictures but he didn't look too lean and defined you know? This was before filming started of course but if you have the answer to that question and can let me know I would really appreciate it buddy. ;)

Guest FADoss

Well he's not wearing the same outfit in the Seagal photo as in the new shots. That should say something...