Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

God knows what we would've gotten stuck with had she been allowed to tarnish the movie further with her choice in music.

Yeah...at least the music was good... :rolleyes:

Seriously, a decent score won't salvage a bad film. I still haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't want to go too overboard on it, but everything I heard up to now disappoints me.

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX

The score is great Fred. Go pick THAT up and you won't be disappointed for a moment.

Frankly I'd love to see what Gainer would have shot if Walter Hill had directed, and someone like Jeb Stuart wrote it with Wandmacher's score.

Ah, to dream. :)

The score is great Fred. Go pick THAT up and you won't be disappointed for a moment.

Frankly I'd love to see what Gainer would have shot if Walter Hill had directed, and someone like Jeb Stuart wrote it with Wandmacher's score.

Ah, to dream. :)

No dogging on Gainer from what I've seen of the trailers. I defended his choices for pages and pages of this blasted thread. Not ripping on the score either. If Bradstreet digs it, it must be good. He's a lot more tuned into music in film than I am. I would love to see someone else tackle the Punisher and not screw it up.

Fred

Yeah, the film is not all bad, just about 60 % or so. For me, I was just so disappointed, because Lexi promised so much more, then she turns around and says that this is what she wanted all along :angry:

If you could choose a director to make the punisher, who would it be? For me, it would be between David Cronenberg or David Fincher. Possibly Zack Snider, but not so much.

No dogging on Gainer from what I've seen of the trailers. I defended his choices for pages and pages of this blasted thread. Not ripping on the score either. If Bradstreet digs it, it must be good. He's a lot more tuned into music in film than I am. I would love to see someone else tackle the Punisher and not screw it up.

Fred

In 15-20 years when I'm 35-40 years old, I'll play Frank ;) and I'll make sure it's done right or not done at all.

Not kidding either!

If you could choose a director to make the punisher, who would it be? For me, it would be between David Cronenberg or David Fincher. Possibly Zack Snider, but not so much.

I would still say Hill, just cause it would have been great to see him do something on the big screen again.

Yeah, the film is not all bad, just about 60 % or so. For me, I was just so disappointed, because Lexi promised so much more, then she turns around and says that this is what she wanted all along :angry:

Snyder would be very loyal to the story...but which one? What about James Gray, director of "We Own the Night" and "Little Odessa"?

Or... David Cronenberg has proven to be very faithful to source material with "History of Violence" and "Eastern Promises" was fabulous! Viggo as Frank anyone?

Snyder would be very loyal to the story...but which one? What about James Gray, director of "We Own the Night" and "Little Odessa"?

Or... David Cronenberg has proven to be very faithful to source material with "History of Violence" and "Eastern Promises" was fabulous! Viggo as Frank anyone?

A lot of people would disagree about the faithfulness to A History of Violence, it's still a great movie though.

Guest AdminGuyX

You know, Snyder would just load The Punisher up with his now signature computerized slow motion, and likely over stylize the thing to the point of it being a 25 minute film slowed down to 2 hours. ;)

I have always liked the idea of making a Punisher flick a throwback to grittier film making. I like the idea of giving it noir story telling devices, and keeping it serious and brutal. The 04 film got some of those things right for me.

I can't say sadism is my bag, so I didn't connect with PWZ on that level . . . or any level. I can't get the high stepping antics out of my brain, or the fucking pencil up the nose, or the . . . well, I could go on and on about why I hated it.

When another Punisher film eventually goes into production, or if a cable series happens, I hope they key on the idea that The Punisher shouldn't be a crime story. It's a story about a hunter, whose prey happen to be criminals. It's about the hunter, not the prey. Frank Castle shouldn't be upstaged by charismatic crime lords.

There is endless potential there for some serious drama if a writer decides to challenge themselves and make a Punisher movie about Frank Castle and his war.

You know, Snyder would just load The Punisher up with his now signature computerized slow motion, and likely over stylize the thing to the point of it being a 25 minute film slowed down to 2 hours. ;)

I have always liked the idea of making a Punisher flick a throwback to grittier film making. I like the idea of giving it noir story telling devices, and keeping it serious and brutal. The 04 film got some of those things right for me.

I can't say sadism is my bag, so I didn't connect with PWZ on that level . . . or any level. I can't get the high stepping antics out of my brain, or the fucking pencil up the nose, or the . . . well, I could go on and on about why I hated it.

When another Punisher film eventually goes into production, or if a cable series happens, I hope they key on the idea that The Punisher shouldn't be a crime story. It's a story about a hunter, whose prey happen to be criminals. It's about the hunter, not the prey. Frank Castle shouldn't be upstaged by charismatic crime lords.

There is endless potential there for some serious drama if a writer decides to challenge themselves and make a Punisher movie about Frank Castle and his war.

Nah, Watchmen only used that in a few instances, and it was pretty much a non-issue. I think (or at least hope) Snyder got that stuff out of his system.

Unless Marvel gets the rights back, Lexi Alexander & Lionsgate pretty much killed the character film and television wise.

Also, for the hell of it here's a new interview with Ray about the movie. No matter how many times he or anyone else says it, this movie was nothing like a MAX story Ennis would have written, having a bunch of unrelated characters from the MAX series doesn't = MAX (and really they were piss poor representations of the characters). But he seems to genuinely love the character and it sucks he got stuck with the piece of shit that was Punisher: War Zone.

I said Zack Snyder...not John Woo... who, by the way, would take the above and make it into one bitching film. :P I take it you didn't like 300? Or Dawn of the Dead? I haven't been able to break away from the 6-year-old long enough to see "The Watchmen" which is I'm assuming what your referencing as I don't remember super-slow-mo in any of the other two films.

Fred

300 had the slow-mo speed ramping in it a lot, Watchmen only has a few instance of slow motion and speed ramping.

Also, for the hell of it here's a new interview with Ray about the movie. No matter how many times he or anyone else says it, this movie was nothing like a MAX story Ennis would have written, having a bunch of unrelated characters from the MAX series doesn't = MAX (and really they were piss poor representations of the characters). But he seems to genuinely love the character and it sucks he got stuck with the piece of shit that was Punisher: War Zone.

The movie was closer to the Marvel Knight series, only it stole characters from MAX. MK and MAX are pretty black and white when it comes to tone (MK being violent and over the top silly). They still have a long way to go to get to MAX. Personally, I'd love to see Aronofsky take a stab at it. Besides some to the hyper editing (though that was more common in Requiem) I think that Darren could bring that grittiness and reality that the last film was lacking. Plus, I think that Darren handles violence well, making it shocking and not heavy handed.

Guest AdminGuyX
I said Zack Snyder...not John Woo... who, by the way, would take the above and make it into one bitching film. :P I take it you didn't like 300? Or Dawn of the Dead? I haven't been able to break away from the 6-year-old long enough to see "The Watchmen" which is I'm assuming what your referencing as I don't remember super-slow-mo in any of the other two films.

Fred

300 has slow motion every 5 minutes. It ruined the film for me the first time I watched it. It's grown on me since, but it still grates on my nerves a bit. I like slow motion when it's effective, and it was a effective a few times in 300. other times it was just annoying to me.

I loved his Dawn of The Dead remake.

I haven't seen watchmen yet either, but there was a lot of slow motion in the trailers, and it, again, bugged the piss out of me.

:)

Njc--------

The movie was closer to the Marvel Knight series, only it stole characters from MAX. MK and MAX are pretty black and white when it comes to tone (MK being violent and over the top silly). They still have a long way to go to get to MAX. Personally, I'd love to see Aronofsky take a stab at it. Besides some to the hyper editing (though that was more common in Requiem) I think that Darren could bring that grittiness and reality that the last film was lacking. Plus, I think that Darren handles violence well, making it shocking and not heavy handed.

Yeah, I guess it was mostly an MK movie (I thought that series was mostly shit really). But the thing is, all that anyone would say is it's based on the MAX series, for all the shit Hensleigh gets at least he was up front about what he was using as a basis for his movie.

I haven't seen watchmen yet either, but there was a lot of slow motion in the trailers, and it, again, bugged the piss out of me.

:)

Njc--------

From what I can recall, all the slow motion was basically shown in the trailers.

I always thought Scorcese would do a fantastic job with The Punisher, but that might be far fetched. I'd say get Jane back to star, and maybe Stallone to direct? He's really got talent behind the camera, and not just in front of it.

Scorsese would have too much story and not enough action. Stallone would probably want to star in it or have a role in it somehow. I don't think he has any business dong a Marvel film. Doesn't suit him. He can make a good action film but that's not all the Punisher is.

I wonder what a Takashi Miike Punisher movie would be like? Because that Harry Heck scene in the 2004 film is so odd and random, that it seems like something from a Miike film. Also, for a man that doesn't speak English, he probably would have gotten better performances from his actors.

What do you think are the odds that if it does well enough on DVD that Lionsgate will go ahead with a direct-to-DVD sequel?

Some I guess good news about the DVD, apparently the commentary is pretty technical, at least when Gainer is talking, and all the extras are basically worthless EPK shit.

Unless they can get a huge star attached to this, I think Lion's Gate is just going to let the rights lapse. I think the 04 film's opening weekend took in more than Warzone for it's entire North American run. It's sad considering that I don't really see what's so hard about making a great Punisher film.

Shit, I think 2004's did better than this ones international and domestic combined. With the 2004 film Hensleigh doing this weird hodgepodge of spaghetti western/melodrama/'70s crime with a dash of Shakespeare, and with Punisher: War Zone I don't know the director apparently really didn't give two shits, just thumbed through the comics over a weekend copied some kills down and character names and went to Canada.

Here's this recent interview with Stevenson.

Ray Stevenson: I'm very excited, actually. It's a movie that I am extremely proud of. The box office wasn't as good as what some people expected. But it did come right on the heels of the last one. Maybe a few people said, "I've seen the Punisher. I don't need to see it again." They just assumed that it would be the same deal. Or maybe they thought it was a continuation of the other film. Which it most certainly is not. I am very excited that the DVD could open up a whole new market to Frank Castle and The Punisher comic books. And everything else that goes along with that. I am sitting here with my fingers crossed that people see it, and take to it.

I wouldn't say 4 years is right on the heels, my theory 1. It was released in December and 2. It was just a bad movie, almost C or D level.

Unless they can get a huge star attached to this, I think Lion's Gate is just going to let the rights lapse. I think the 04 film's opening weekend took in more than Warzone for it's entire North American run. It's sad considering that I don't really see what's so hard about making a great Punisher film.

Ahem..."The Crow"