Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

this and the spirit were just really bad movies. it was funny finding out the same studio was behind both of them.

Lionsgate really sucks, and I hope they go out of business, and take that fucking Saw franchise with them.

I don't know how much footage was cut, or if there was footage cut at all, but an extended cut would be cool to check out. I actually watched it again with my wife, I figured she would have ripped it a new one. She didn't think it was that bad, and she said that she could see what the intention was, but didn't know if it was properly executed. I'd have to agree with her.

I think she mentioned it was only quieter talky parts that were cut. And including those scenes isn't going help one bit considering all the rest of the dialogue.

I think she mentioned it was only quieter talky parts that were cut. And including those scenes isn't going help one bit considering all the rest of the dialogue.

Agreed. A few extra scenes are not going to improve the crap that was in the movie, unless those scene are actually alternate scenes, in which there is not cheesy, bad acting and dialogue. Lexi Alexander was quoted as saying "I'm glad with what's on the screen.". There's not a whole lot to be glad with. The only good things about the movie were Ray as Frank, and Knight as Microchip, and some of the action, a little bit of the dialogue, and the look of most of the movie. Poor Frank Castle :(

I'm hard pressed to think of any good lines from the movie, there wasn't any wit or seeming attempt at wit with the dialogue, it was all tongue in cheek ham. I did genuinely laugh at the last line by Soap though.

I didn't really like how Soap was portrayed, he came off more mildly retarded than this somewhat square and inept officer that got no respect. The reveal that he was working with Frank was just played down that instead of it being this big surprise, it comes off as 'oh hey, he's working with the Punisher, huh'.

I don't even know how to say this without it sounding like I'm piling on.

But from what I've heard from a few folks who worked on the film and have seen the pre re-edited version . . . you don't want to see a director's cut.

Jacking something you worked on is tough to swallow, but there it is.

- TB

I'm so thankful that Ms. Alexander did not get ahold of Jonah Hex! I pray Warners doesn't screw that one up.

I only just recently discovered something very interesting. Alexander was shut out of post on Hooligans too. It is actually surprising that this information didn't come out more publicly when allthe rumors were flying on pwz. Is anyone else seeing a trend developing? The hooligans report comes from a very reliable source. Ouch. I was completely discouraged by pwz. I spent the last half hour of the movie talking to a friend in the parking lot on my cell phone. I don't ordinarily walk out of a movie but this one was one of the few. Sorry Imissed your sign tribute Tim. That was a pretty neat thing to do.

I'm so thankful that Ms. Alexander did not get ahold of Jonah Hex! I pray Warners doesn't screw that one up.

I only just recently discovered something very interesting. Alexander was shut out of post on Hooligans too. It is actually surprising that this information didn't come out more publicly when allthe rumors were flying on pwz. Is anyone else seeing a trend developing? The hooligans report comes from a very reliable source. Ouch. I was completely discouraged by pwz. I spent the last half hour of the movie talking to a friend in the parking lot on my cell phone. I don't ordinarily walk out of a movie but this one was one of the few. Sorry Imissed your sign tribute Tim. That was a pretty neat thing to do.

Even the writer of Green Street Hooligans has said he was unhappy with the direction that Alexander took the movie, and apparently the studio/marketing came up with this thing about it being about her brother's experience in Hooliganism in Germany since Brimson decided to distance himself from the movie. Shit, he even popped up on the Film School Rejects site during all the Punisher: War Zone brew-ha-ha, suffice to say he didn't have kind words.

Ouch.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought.

Wow, I didn't know that.

I know you know some people so I'm not doubting you necessarily,

just surprised as well that someone didn't report that when the proverbial shit was hitting the fan last August.

Seems like someone would have jumped all over it.

- TB

The way it was explained to me is that alexander was unceremoniously asked to leave and the picture was recut without her... that there was some ugliness. I completely understand what you are saying Tim. All I can really say is that this person would know. Sorry so cryptic :)

I don't want to turn this into a Lexi bashing forum, but she is a damn liar too. She said we would get a great story dealing greatly with Castle's pain, and why he does what he does. We barely got anything with that. That was the biggest disappointment. This WAS just another stupid shoot 'em up movie, and even though they did his Origin, it was pretty lazy and lame. You didn't even see his wife. I'm starting to wish that Ray Stevenson didn't take the role, since he's a very fine actor, and this can't do anything but damage his career. :(

I think Stevenson will be fine, he already has 2 movies coming up. West on the other hand....

I'm not exactly clear on the order of events as they happened. Only that Hooligans was finished without her.

I don't want to turn this into a Lexi bashing forum, but she is a damn liar too. She said we would get a great story dealing greatly with Castle's pain, and why he does what he does. We barely got anything with that. That was the biggest disappointment. This WAS just another stupid shoot 'em up movie, and even though they did his Origin, it was pretty lazy and lame. You didn't even see his wife. I'm starting to wish that Ray Stevenson didn't take the role, since he's a very fine actor, and this can't do anything but damage his career. :(

I think Ray was one of the things that made the movie watchable, and there weren't that many things. I just don't understand why they released it knowing that it was as bad as it was.

They wanted to make a quick buck, I bet they thought because they had success with the SAW movies this would be no problem.

They wanted to make a quick buck, I bet they thought because they had success with the SAW movies this would be no problem.

I'd see any Saw movie multiple times before I'd see PWZ again.

Im guessing we will get a regular 1 disc version of Punisher War Zone and then a 2 disc blu ray/dvd with digital copy. I hope it gets a good transfer...would look kickass in HD! All of the darkish colors and what not.

Guest AdminGuyX

I'd be pretty floored if there was a directors commentary, but you never know.

If Gainer and Wandmacher did commentaries, I'd buy the DVD just to hear them.

I'd be pretty floored if there was a directors commentary, but you never know.

If Gainer and Wandmacher did commentaries, I'd buy the DVD just to hear them.

I would love to hear one from them too, as well as Ray. I could not care less if Lexi does one or not.

well this thread is damn entertaining. question is, what will we do with ourselves once the damn film comes and goes?

the problem is how things get out of hand and blown around and facts get distorted to support whatever argument some one is trying to make.

i didn't leave over walter hill. i left because i saw in castle a true tragic figure in fiction, and i loved the guy and i wanted HIS STORY to be told in a realistic manner that is fitting the tale. like taxi driver. like dog day afternoon. like fuckin SERPICO, with some death wish mixed in and yeah it's an action film and yeah it's a comic book but i think the way to keep comic book films alive is to treat them with the respect that the stories deserve. and look out! a guy named Nolan does just that a year later and look what happens.

i went to LGF with a BAG of dvd's. thirty or forty. big meeting with everyone from marvel and LG there. and i laid them on the table. all gritty urban crime dramas and action films. you all know the ones. and i said this is what we want to see with P2. i even outlined a simple story where we had a female FBI agent working on bringing down a mob family for three years, doing wiretaps and collecting evidence, and on the big night of the bust, FC walks in and kills every one of them in three minutes. job done. and this chick, she's like who the FUCK is this asshole? Three years down the drain in three minutes by some joker with a skull on his chest? no fucking way. and she goes to her boss and says I WANT FRANK CASTLE. he's an affront to the System. this is a girl who had to do everything by the book just to get where she is, loves her job and believes in it, but is kinda feeling that 'glass ceiling' that women sometimes hit in a man's world. she's had to have all the T's crossed and I's dotted to make it, and FC just pisses her off to no end. she goes after him, and she CATCHES him. Locks him up. job done. but at the same time, the MOB goes after her, and kidnaps her kid. (this was Jigsaw and his men.) they are gonna kill the kid. no time for 'by the book.' so she goes to castle in lock up. she looks at him and he looks at her. and she leaves the key on the floor and walks out. and castle destroys every last one of them.

that was the story in a nutshell. i wasn't hung up on that story in particular, just something with some emotion and balls and speaks to the fact that love him or hate him Frank Castle does what he does so we don't have to. he's a necessary evil, because he's the only guy in town who's willing to live with the heinous fucking shit that sometimes has got to be done. everyone nodded their heads and we talked for an hour about bringing back the Great Urban Crime Film. problem was, no one could write it. we went through so many drafts. i even worked with Ennis on an outline. but LG could not get away from the Comic Book Film. it was very light and the characters were just superficial. Sutter did professional work. great guy, trying to give the studio what they wanted. like him a lot. but when it became obvious that LG wasn't interested in developing that KIND of story, and frankly weren't interested in spending the cash on a good script. i said guys, i just can't do this to the character i love. can't live with it. can't make the 'would have been great if' movie of frank one more time. this is me speaking from the heart, and not trying to be PC here. so i walked away and i sent an open letter to Quint at ain't it cool outlining my feelings on the thing. i'm sure you can look it up. THEN LG got another director. THEN the 'reboot' stuff. makes sense to reboot after the actor walks, right?

Bradstreet is right - when i say 'piece of crap' that's just me talking. Hey, might be a masterpiece from someone else's POV. i guess if i wanted to be polite i could say 'not my cup 'o tea.' but then that wouldn't be me talking, would it.

After reading this all I can say is:

Shit. Now that sounds like the kind of Punisher sequel I was hoping to see.

It’s a bloody shame it never happened.

I can also respect a person who has the guts to walk away from something they love when he feels it’s getting hosed over.

Not an easy choice to make. Granted alot of people are playing it up as you throwing a temper tantrum, but I take comments like that with a grain of salt (about 2 grams shy a lethal dose grain of salt that is).

Thanks for giving your views on the direction you were aiming for. I’ve been looking for that for a couple months now (not that computer/internet savvy… you push buttons and it works, right?). When it comes to what people want… I prefer to get it straight from the source. Until then it’s merely rumor and conjecture.

Anyways good luck with your current and future projects. I'm looking forward to Give 'em Hell, Malone