Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

These look fucking sweet... Lexi updated with three more photos.

Déjà Vu (1/28/08)

Greetings from Vancouver, BC, where we will shoot a pick up scene during the night on top of a high-rise roof at below zero temperatures. I don’t know what it is with this film, but apparently, the price of getting it right seems to be complete torture of both the crew and cast. Ha, ha. This time, though, we all seem to be less bothered by the conditions, mainly because we look forward to seeing each other again to complete a film we are all very proud of.

They say that if a film is blessed with the birth of a baby during its production it will have all the luck in the world and will be hugely successful. Well, fasten your seatbelts, because we had not one but two little ones arrive. None other than the Punisher himself, Ray Stevenson and his beautiful lady Betta celebrated the birth of their son Sebastiano Derek Stevenson (aka Future Punisher) on December 24th.

My cinematographer Steve Gainer actually missed the birth of his beautiful daughter Lexi Lu Gainer, since she was born during pre-production on October 12th, when we were buried in so much work that he couldn’t leave Montreal even for a day. So there you have it -- The PUNISHER in luck -- not that we relied on that!!

My team and I spent a lot of time researching the comic books, Tim Bradstreet’s art and all the reference films we decided upon. I think we watched one of those films at least 25 times during prep. Thank God Montreal has an endless supply of excellent wine and cheese, which made those sessions much more enjoyable.

Tim Bradstreet was especially helpful to us during prep and we were lucky enough to get him on the phone a couple of times to pick his brain. So you can imagine how stoked I am to get Tim’s first reaction to what he had seen of the film so far. Here is an excerpt from his email: “I had an opportunity to see a ton of stills from the film and it looks sensational. The Jigsaw makeup is top. LOVED seeing Doug Hutchinson look like such a hard assed nut, and of course, Ray Stevenson looks AWESOME. They lit a lot of it like I light and [they] did a great job.”

raypunisherstillskj8.jpg

I know you guys haven’t really seen any of my favorite shots of Ray Stevenson as Frank Castle, so I am attaching a couple of stills. Hope you enjoy them and, if I make it down from the roof without freezing any limbs off, I’ll update you on the post progress very soon.

Onwards and upwards!

Lexi

Dammit I was gonna upload the pics myself but Mike beat me to the punch! Good job

That first picture, should have been the promo photo they released. But with the addition of the skull being visible. It would've gotten a whole lot less shit, well not from TL.

Gentlemen, are you actually approving of that piece of goat shit skull?

I know you guys are pro-Warzone, but you can still be judgmental when it is called for. The Jane skull and the Bradstreet skull make that skull look like something a 3rd grader drew in class.

-TL

Gentlemen, are you actually approving of that piece of goat shit skull?

I know you guys are pro-Warzone, but you can still be judgmental when it is called for. The Jane skull and the Bradstreet skull make that skull look like something a 3rd grader drew in class.

-TL

The skull itself is fine, though it is too dark, that's my only problem with it.

It looks like the skull that Fernandez draws. I like that.

And I think the three new shots are great. They are definitely much cooler than the first shot. These got a sort of noir/Punisher MAX look. The lighting, the shadows, the general mood. You have to admit, even if you have a problem with the skull, and think the film itself will suck, admit that the shots, on their own, look awesome. My favourite is the second one, the one in the cold blue light. I wish Lexi would have posted them in a higher resolution though. I wish Lexi had used one of these shots instead of the previous one that many people complained as Segal-like. These shots are great. They even look like a Bradstreet cover. It's as if Bradstreet was the director of cinematography here or something.

The lighting and cinematography isn't bad on the pics, unfortunately Stevenson looks robotic in that far away shot and I don't understand why you would give the skull any praise at all. It looks like a shrunken head. The atmosphere has the Bradstreet vibe, but the Punisher isn't looking impressive at all.

-TL

The lighting and cinematography isn't bad on the pics, unfortunately Stevenson looks robotic in that far away shot and I don't understand why you would give the skull any praise at all. It looks like a shrunken head. The atmosphere has the Bradstreet vibe, but the Punisher isn't looking impressive at all.

-TL

The faraway shot reminds me of one of the beginning scenes of The Cell.

-TL

Yeah, god damn them for making a skull that looks like some kind of head! Those bitches. :rolleyes:

I agree about Stevenson looking robotic. He's not even moving in these three new videos! What is wrong with Lexi Alexander for allowing him to just stand there?

Guest AdminGuyX

I can't even see the skull in these teeny tiny pics. Barely. It's definately too dark.

But I love the alley shot (You guys see the skull in the doorway behind frank?) and the armory shot is interesting. It looks like smoke behind the G36 hanging on the fencing or grate or whatever it is.

I do like that the pics present us with a color pallette, but I don't want to see Dick Tracy either, know what I mean?

But so far I'm giving them a thumbs up. I can forgive the skull if the film is watchable.

Noeland I really didn't expect you to be leniant about the Punisher's defiining trait.

And here's another thing, Stevenson doesn't look menacing at all. I can think of a hundred film characters that by the looks of him can take him.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, it's not like I have any control over the thing. The film is made, you know? If I were in control it's not the skull I'd of used, no doubt about that.

Personally, the only thing that would make the alley shot better is to have the skull on his chest visible. I don't mean glowing like a lightbulb on his chest, but you know, "present" in the composition of the shot.

Not very practical mind you, as it would make an excellent target, which is probably why they made it darker.

I really don't want to judge the skull until I see it in the context of the film, and if it has any meaning in the context of whatever story they are telling. In the first film, I didn't like the way the skull was used. I didn't care for the "weathered" skull, but I liked the drippy paint skull on his body armor a lot.

I really like those new shots. Much better than the first promotional image. The skull could be a tad brighter, a bit more menacing. Looks a bit too much like the one t-shirt design from a few years ago.

skull-punisher-tee-shirt.jpg

If they were gonna go with a design of that choice, might as well stuck with the Graphitti Designs shirt that O'Brien wears on Bradstreet's covers. But thats just a little nit pick, not too bothered by it.

Ready for some high resolution images of these bad boys, and some news ones.

I'm so stoked to see Dominic West as Jigsaw I cant stand it.

Noeland I really didn't expect you to be leniant about the Punisher's defiining trait.

And here's another thing, Stevenson doesn't look menacing at all. I can think of a hundred film characters that by the looks of him can take him.

-TL

The Skull is NOT his defining trait. It's a symbol.

Castle's defining trait is his relentlessness, his utter disdain, rage, and hate for criminals and evil. Those are traits. Don't confuse a trait with a symbol. That's like saying that Wolverine's defining trait is his metal claws instead of his brutal animalistic nature or that Captain America's shield is a trait instead of his patriotism.

You know, if you can think of a hundred people that could take Ray Stevenson's Frank (without having seen him in action), I'd like to see that list.

Arsh you are twisting my statement.

I wrote "I can think of a hundred film characters that by the looks of him can take him."

He doesn't look fierce. He wouldn't intimidate me if I walked on the set of Warzone and saw him in person. Thomas Jane, Tom O'Brien, Dolph Lundgren, those guys looked intimidating. I've been streetfighting for ages, and those are the guys I would think twice about fucking with. Stevenson (in his guise as Punisher) looks like the kinda guy I wouldn't hesitate to kick in the kneeecap.

The man looks average, and Frank Castle is anything BUT average.

-TL

This will go on until September 12th. I want more higher resolution pictures because I still think there is some potential.

Also, I was on Stevenson's website and came across the message boards and Lexi Alexander was describing what he was wearing (after the release of the first picture) and she stated that there will be more costumes that he will be sporting. That makes me feel a bit better because I'm not completely happy with this get up he has in these pictures. It's fine, but I want something better.

Question:

From what I've read here, it sounds like Lexi has basically aimed to please the same audience that reads Punisher Max. So, does anyone here know how many copies of these comics have been sold? Or, maybe more specifically, how many copies of #60 will be printed to meet the expected demand?

Excellent question. I always wanted to know how many MAX comics were sold as well but I could never find this information. Same thing goes for #60.

In the pics released so far, it looks like he's wearing some sort of SWAT Tactical gear... though I'm not an expert, but it looks similar to photos of SWAT on the net.

And as for Punisher MAX sales... it tends to vary between 30 and 50 thousand copies sold a month.

Let's hope enough copies are printed out of 60... Ennis' last Punisher issue oughta be spectacular.

Though the Punisher MAX series will continue after Ennis with a super-secret writer that still hasn't been revealed.