Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

Nomad,

Next year at SD COMICON you should talk to Buzz about Tim's hugging Skills.

Mike

Who's Buzz?

Here are a couple of great video interviews with Lexi and Ray. I don't know how to display them here, so I just have the links. If anybody can fix that, I'd appreciate it.

Ray:

http://www.movieweb.com/video/V08LadeklvDEJQ

Lexi:

http://www.movieweb.com/video/V08L06bhmxCDIQ

Enjoy!

Nomad

Was Buzz naked when Tim hugged him? I remember a classic naked Buzz story at San Diego, but I don't know if one of Tim's hugs was involved.

It is probably a story told best by Buzz, but I think it involved bare skin, a hotel hallway, and a lot of alcohol.

Buzz is a very talented artist and a really good guy. He is usually in Artist Alley every year at SD Comicon.

http://www.justbuzz.com/

Guest AdminGuyX
it involved bare skin, a hotel hallway, and a lot of alcohol.

Which have spawned many of my own stories in life.

:)

Which have spawned many of my own stories in life.

:)

Tut, tut! No spawning allowed here! :P

Nomad

I think they were referring to the Central Park flahsback stuff right?

Steve used a different look for that which I thought was cool.

- TB

I guess so, I'll probably be seeing it tomorrow.

Also, from the folks over at Film School Rejects;

The Punisher: War Zone drinking game.

TAKE A DRINK WHENEVER….

Someone is hit

Someone is shot

Something explodes

Someone picks up or drops a gun

TAKE A DRINK WHEN YOU SEE…

Police paperwork

A reflection in a mirror

The Punisher skull logo

Bright colored lights ala Batman & Robin

TAKE A DRINK WHEN SOMEONE SAYS…

“Frank”

“Castle”

“Jigsaw”

“Punisher”

CHUG YOUR DRINK WHENEVER…

Something bad happen to someone’s head (e.g., decapitation, gunshot, neck broken)

*whispers to Tim* Other than Ray, Michael was the hottest guy at the premiere. Lord have MERCY!!! :P

Nomad

By the way, Vorenus was pretty hot too, and let's not forget, he's "bigger" than Pullo.

“P unisher: War Zone” is the latest Marvel comic book to endure another stab at movie adaptation. Its cinema lineage is long. It’s a sequel to 2004’s “The Punisher,” which was preceded by a 1989 film of the same name.

It’s the story of Frank Castle, aka the Punisher (Ray Stevenson), an ex-Special Forces instructor exacting revenge on all Mafia types like the ones that killed his family after they witnessed a mob execution.

PUNISHER: WAR ZONE

Two stars

STARRING: Ray Stevenson, Julie Benz and Dominic West

DIRECTOR: Lexi Alexander

RUNNING TIME: 100 minutes

RATING: R for pervasive strong brutal violence, language and some drug use.

THE LOWDOWN: Vigilante Frank Castle squares off against a vengeful mob boss he disfigured.

The most recent “Punisher” didn’t get the kind of script treatment or budget that a more lucrative Marvel franchise such as “X-Men” or “Spider Man” would, and it shows. It’s not for lack of trying from director Lexi Alexander, who hit pay dirt with her last effort, 2005’s “Green Street Hooligans.”

So this “Punisher” becomes less of a high-flying superhero flick and more of a cartoony surface-scratching psychological thriller about a tortured-soul antihero. It’s a poor man’s “Batman,” so to speak.

Indeed, it’s one of the few Marvel movies brutally violent enough to get an R rating. And for good reason. Shotgun shells render many of the Punisher’s foes headless. Internal organs are eaten. It goes without saying that it’s not for the squeamish.

At the movie’s opening, the Punisher infiltrates a recycling business (really a front for the mob), and two notable things happen: Boss Billy Russoti (Dominic West) is horribly disfigured by the Punisher in a glass crusher, and the Punisher accidentally kills an undercover FBI agent. “One of the good guys,” he laments.

Russoti’s face is left with the consistency and appearance of a weathered stitched-leather baseball — an altogether unconvincing makeup job. It wouldn’t be a comic book, err, movie, without a hideous villain. Perhaps the painful disfigurement adds another character dimension to the stereotypical mob boss with an exaggerated Brooklyn accent and penchant for settling disputes with a firearm.

Upon his transformation from human to monster, Russoti matter-of-factly announces his nom de guerre, “Jigsaw,” but it sounds pre-planned and came without deliberation. I gave more thought to naming my dog. Presumably there’s no relation to the “Saw” movie killer of the same name, but the equally obscene amount of violence in both movies would suggest otherwise.

Jigsaw assembles his new Cabinet of goons by freeing his brother Loony Bin Jim (Doug Hutchison, in the movie’s most entertaining performance) from an asylum and later recruiting an assortment of ethnic gangs for a final showdown with the Punisher.

Meanwhile, the Punisher is racked by guilt over the friendly-fire killing and considers hanging ’em up. Caught in between all this are the dead agent’s wife and daughter now targeted by Jigsaw.

There’s also something in there about Russian gangsters, a dirty bomb and an impending terrorist attack on New York City — as if we needed another reminder about modern-day security threats. But this is all secondary to the wife-daughter plot, which leaves the movie operating on too many levels.

“Punisher: War Zone” is a low-budget movie that so irritatingly wanted to be anything but. It doesn’t hold up to the standards set by its Marvel brethren, and even fans of the original comic book might be turned off by the gruesome splatter.

Source: http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/story/514198.html

Frank Castle aka The Punisher is re-incarnated today in the form of Ray Stevenson in PUNISHER: WAR ZONE but if you're still undecided about whether or not to see the flick, maybe this final poster will do something to help you decide. In this one, Castle turns his vigilante rage to master criminal Jigsaw and his ragtag band of cronies.

warzone.jpg

Source: http://joblo.com/final-war-zone-poster

PLOT: When a local Mob boss is set free due to a technicality, The Punisher takes out the trash, Punisher style. This soon brings out the wrath of a new villain named Jigsaw… not the one who makes torture devices. With the cops looking for every move the man of vengeance makes and a new group of evildoers to fight, he finds himself protecting a mother and her daughter from this new group of baddies. Meanwhile, every clichéd stereotype is explored. and the Punisher finds himself in a battle to save his city from Jigsaw and his merry band of villains.

REVIEW: Whether or not you are going to like PUNISHER: WAR ZONE depends on one simple thing. If you go in expecting a serious and brutally violent Punisher who is deep in sorrow with mucho pissed off anger management issues, you’ll be very disappointed. Now I’m not saying that it isn’t brutally violent or that the Frank Castle (Ray Stevenson) isn’t pissed off. No, all of that is absolutely true. But what you actually get is an almost comedic version of over the top gore and ridiculously implausible set pieces, that won‘t even step foot in reality. Yes, I did say comedic? Oh yes I did. The dialogue is completely inane that it feels almost like a spoof on comic hero movies. Director Lexi Alexander seems to plant tongue firmly in cheek while directing dialogue that is laughable and action that is oftentimes hilarious. Especially notable is one character that is literally blown up, while doing some ninja flip from one building to another. I’ve rarely heard as many laughs in a theatre this year as I did when this moron explodes.

For me, I kind of appreciate this series in a less hokey format. While it would have been just as annoying to see another superhero movie trying to be dark and brooding, I still would have preferred less funny in my Punisher. But I will say that this story of a vigilante hero knocking off Mafioso types and whoever else gets in his way is gory in all the right ways… at least for my personal tastes. Whether it is a fist through somebody’s face or a man tossed in a bottle recycling facility, the special effects are pretty damn good for the most part. You want to see a bloody pulp? You will here. Heads are blown off, bodies are shot up and stabbed. Hell, even when Dominic West’s Billy Russoti turns into Jigsaw, it is pretty darn gruesome. Marvel Knights has made a nice, hard R super hero flick. But even though I appreciated the bloody aspects, I sometimes felt that someone spliced this film with a FRIDAY THE 13th sequel. Seriously, when Castle shoves his fist into someone’s face, you gotta wonder if he had some training with Jason Voorhees.

Now don’t get me wrong, there is a serious element to the film. When an innocent character is killed by Castle, he has even more pain and guilt. So much so that he attends to the wife and child of this innocent man. While I always seem to like Julie Benz, I just didn’t feel that she was the right choice for this character. I also found the “connection” between her daughter and the Punisher a bit on the silly side. While everything around this storyline is so high octane, I felt like this didn’t quite work with the nature of the film. Especially since the rest of the film is so big, brash and loud. This was an unnecessary set of characters and sequences that the film could have done without. It made me question whether they knew exactly what type of film they were making.

As for the rest of this “epic“, sadly I was hoping for a less laughable romp filled action flick. We find Frank Castle laying low and looking to get rid of a nasty mob boss who the justice system failed to convict. The guy is old, and with the help of a carefully placed chandelier, the Punisher comes in kicking ass and taking names. But sadly, one of the names he doesn’t take is Russoti. Dominic West plays this character as if he were doing Warren Beatty’s DICK TRACY. Even before his accident (courtesy of Frank) turns him into Jigsaw, he is just a walking stereotype. Actually, all the bad guys are walking stereotypes. When Russoti begins recruiting a bunch of minorities to help him destroy his enemies, not a one of them is remotely interesting. These guys are purely a way to boost up the large body count, which is pretty damn high. And the rest of Russoti’s gang, including his criminally insane brother Jim (Doug Hutchinson), are all just a bunch of fodder waiting to die deserving deaths. But in a sense, this may just be the perfect comic book film for this character... after all, in the comics, he once had a gun that shot swords.

My initial reaction to the film was just disappointment. I was really ready to have a blast and I was hoping for the best. Thanks to Lexi and crew, the film is fairly well shot. The lighting design is fitting as it adds that extra touch of atmosphere giving each location its own special look. Yet even that seemed to be a bit obvious. And even though it is a surprisingly well made film and has a groovy gruesome quality, the script and the hammy acting kept me laughing to the point I forgot I was watching an action movie. Jason Voorhees seems to have a bit of competition thanks to this new and improved(?) Frank Castle. My biggest problem is the absolute lack of seriousness here. The charm wears thin after awhile and I just couldn’t wait for Jigsaw to die. His performance feels more like an “Saturday Night Live” sketch than a menacing bad guy. And he was by far the best of the villains. Will audiences like the bang ‘em over the head nature of War Zone? I’m not sure. But I also question whether this will be one of those movies where, after you get the joke, the second viewing may be more pleasurable. Sadly, the first time wasn’t a charm for me… I still prefer the Dolph Lundgren version. My rating 4.5/10 -- JimmyO

Source: http://joblo.com/review-punisher-war-zone

I wanna post my review now, but I'd rather wait until Monday. That way, most people on this board will have seen it already.

I stayed up all night playing Rainbow 6: Vegas with my buddy and then we went to the very first screening available at 11 in the morning. I then only slept about 3 hours and then got up to go to work and now I'm sitting here quoting the movie already (Not in this post. To myself and in my head ;) ).

-Raffi

It's way too damn early to get into it now with a review but here are a couple of quick statements. Ray is fuckin' amazing as Frank. He IS Frank. I loved Jane's performance but I have to say that I think Ray was just made for this role. Like Ebert said, it's a well made movie it's just lacking in plot and dialouge. It looks great, Lexi's direction is amazing as always, and most of the cast surprised the hell out of me. Ray was amazing but I also really loved the relationship portrayed between LBJ and Jigsaw. It was just so damn real. LBJ stole the show in almost every scene he was in. Also, I found that Microchip was cast perfectly and worked well within the story. The action was over the top which means it's just right for a Punisher film. So all in all I would have to say that other than some plotting issues, this is a great Punisher film and should make fans happy. The lighting wasn't at all an issue and Jigsaw's make-up never looked too outragouse. I sure as hell had fun.

I guess that was acctually my full review but oh well.

Andrew

I forgot to mention this cause it really fuckin pissed me off for some damn reason. When I was in line at the theaters, the label for the movie on the board was Punisher 2. Mother fuckers it's not a sequel!

Okay that's it.

-Raf

It seems like Ebert's review basically says nothing. It also seems like everyone else reviewing the movie are more interested in how many movies they can compare it against, and how many directors' names they can drop.

I liked the movie. I don't care what anyone says about "well in 1985's Circle of Blood" or other multi-decades long throwbacks to Spidey supporting appearances. That's not what this movie was about.

This was a $35M rendition of some MAX, mixed with MK, mixed with some classic Jigsaw insanity.

Professional movie reviewers probably don't have every issue, appearance, cameo, and bio publication in their basement.

As far as I am concerned this movie was made for guys like me, and everyone else comparing it to Dark Knight, Spider-Man, X-Men and other big budget hero movies is missing the point by a mile.

Sure, the movie is far from perfect, but as an over-the-top amalgam of the character's last 8 years, this works just fine.

It was never supposed to be high art; the comic isn't, so why would anyone expect the movie to be anything other than a moving cartoon which so far seems to be it's highest accolade.

As for Jigsaw's accent, he sounds exactly like my friend Ken who was born and raised in Brooklyn, and spent 15 years as an adult on Long Island.

Probably the only thing I can agree with reviewers so far is that there can never be a "perfect" Punisher movie because everyone has different ideals of the character.

Been a long time since I was here... but here's my review of the film:

I... loved... this... film.

Here's my review:

Just finished watching the movie a couple hours ago. I caught an early show cause I hate crowds, so it was just me, a couple guys at the back, and a very creepy man in the row ahead of me. But other than that, I got to enjoy the film without douchebags screaming and phones going off, etc.

Ok, so here is my review:

This movie fucking rocks. While I can see why a lot of mainstream critics don't seem to like it, I loved it, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Punisher fans will love it as well. But first things first, this is definitely not a MAX film. While that's been going around, it's not a MAX film. It is a Marvel Knights film that has been drenched in MAX style, and guess what, it works.

What you basically have, in terms of story and style, is a Garth Ennis type MK story, where you have Frank Castle, the consistent and serious center of the story living an absurd and twisted version of New York City, much like in the early 2000s Punisher series, where you had villains like Ma Gnucci, and the Russian, and General Kriegkopf. So, there is quite a bit of very dark humour, which I will admit, I loved in the early Ennis stuff. His MAX series is missing most of the black humour, but it does show up in this film.

The MAX-type gore and style infuse the MK-style story with a sort of otherworldly aura. You see that it's in reality, but it's a reality that's been tweaked. If you are a fan of Ennis' Marvel Knights work, you will definitely love this. This is basically what an MK story would've looked like if Garth Ennis had wanted to use Jigsaw as a villain.

And speaking of Jigsaw, he is fucking awesome. Dominic West plays him as a complete lunatic after his face is recycled in a glass compacter. Yes, he's over-the-top, but that's the point. He's fucking crazy. This is what a Garth Ennis-type villain would be like.

His brother LBJ is equally awesome and is probably more of a lunatic than Jigsaw. Doug Hutchison is awesome here. He's cannibalistic, violent, a total psycho, yet he and Jigsaw are as close as any two brothers could be. Very weird. These two went together so well, every time they showed up on screen, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face even if I wanted to.

Colin Salmon plays Paul Budianski, an FBI agent who is hunting Castle and Jigsaw (sort of). He's great, and the fight scene between him and Castle is awesome. Budianski teams up with Martin Soap, played by Dash Mihok. Soap is awesome. The character in the original MK series was depressed and pathetic, yet still kind of likable. Here, Soap is a hopeless optimist, a little pathetic, but again, very likable, and his scenes with Frank Castle rock.

Julie Benz plays Angela, and she is pretty good, though I must admit, the accent distracted me a little, though maybe it's cause I like her regular voice. Wayne Knight plays Micro, and he is excellent at it.

And finally... Ray Stevenson. He is Frank Castle. He is relentless and stern, though in some scenes, you see his humanity and despair and the sadness in his eyes. After watching Ray in this part, I can't imagine anyone else playing Castle. Ray's is a phenomenal performance.

Steve Gainer's cinematography is wonderful here. I know a lot of people complained about the saturated lighting earlier on in the production of the film, but seriously, it works fantastic here. It gives the night in New York in this film an otherworldly feel, accentuates reality. I definitely loved the work here.

Michael Wandmacher's musical work as well was quite excellent. It didn't detract from the film, and definitely embellished a few scenes with feelings of panic, or a rush of adrenaline, or a tense mood. It is a very good score.

And finally, Lexi Alexander. I just gotta say... fantastic work. We finally got a proper Punisher film. The overall production is fantastic, and Lexi truly was an excellent choice to direct. Amazing work.

So not only is this film, the best Punisher film to date, it is a great film, period. With great performances that will leave either with a huge grin on your face or leave you feeling sad for Frank Castle, it is a great production across the board. A good story, a wicked villain, a compelling protagonist, splattered with a great sense of style and deft touched of dark humour, this is an excellent film, and I would say that every fan of the Punisher should check it out. While it's not a movie for everyone, and it will leave some fans angry, and some critics weirded out, most fans of Garth Ennis' work on MK and MAX will definitely love it.

10/10

Ok, i have to admit--even though i am not a huge fan of this project, i caught myself today referring to someone as going 'all Looney Bin Jim on me'--so i guess it's infectious. i'm wondering if my subcounscious would be enough to convince me to see this...

Ok, i have to admit--even though i am not a huge fan of this project, i caught myself today referring to someone as going 'all Looney Bin Jim on me'--so i guess it's infectious. i'm wondering if my subcounscious would be enough to convince me to see this...

Yeah! I think that "Don't go all postal on me!" is going to be replaced by "Don't go all LBJ on me!" :lol: :P

Meow,

Nomad

Haven't posted in this thread in a very long time, but now that the film is finally here, I figure I'd throw in my .02

I saw the film yesterday and I've gotta say, I don't love or hate this movie. To me, it's head and shoulders above the 2004 film. Everything that they did wrong, this version got right, and everything the 2004 version did right, this version did even better. That being said, to me, this is far from a good movie. In fact, after seeing it, I wish certain things could have been done differently, because there is the core of a good movie here, but they got carried away with something else and kind of created a mess instead.

For starters, Ray Stevenson is PERFECT as the Ennis MAX Punisher. I wasn't expecting some ground breaking perfomance, and we didnt' get that. Instead, we got a character that essentially is there to guide us through a crime story. While the punisher is essentially the main character, there are many stories revolving around him, and he helps us move between them. This might piss some people off because they were looking for a movie ABOUT Frank Castle, but to me, the best punisher stories have been ones that were about a situation and people that the punisher were involved with.

The rest of the cast was nice as well. I have no complaints other than a few instances of grossly overacted parts. Jigsaw suprised me in the sense that I thought I'd absolutely hate the portrayal of that character, and in fact, it was the complete opposite. This was the same Jigsaw that we've seen pop up in the punisher comic over the years, and was adapted perfectly.

The direction of the movie was decent. There were times in this film where I really felt like we were seeing the emergence of a real talent.

Overall, the movie was enjoyable. I've been a punisher fan for the last 21 years and this is the best interpretation of him on film that I've seen. I heard someone in another review compare this to a Paul Veerhoven Robocop style movie and that couldn't be more appropriate. To find yourself laughing as the punisher blows a guys head off at point blank while he's holding a little girl could only be done right by a few directors, and Lexi did Paul V. proud there.

THAT BEING SAID........I think now we deserve a serious take on this character. I understand now what Marvel was going for with this movie. They wanted an adaptation of the Ennis take on the character and they got it. We had the twisted characters, the ridiculous violence, the dark humor. It was all there, and in that respect, it was perfect. After watching this though, it made me really long for a respectable version of this character on film. I think using Frank and his war as a catalyst for other stories is a great idea, and I'd love to see someone take him and tell a serious crime tale. My only caveat though is that it would be as a TV series. There's no reason we need to have these stories squeezed into 2 hour chunks. Why not try and translate it into a weekly crime show, using the concept of the Punisher War Journal to tell the stories. Hopefully someone will realise this, and stop trying to shoehorn this guy into these other ideas they have.

Haven't posted in this thread in a very long time, but now that the film is finally here, I figure I'd throw in my .02

...it would be as a TV series. There's no reason we need to have these stories squeezed into 2 hour chunks. Why not try and translate it into a weekly crime show, using the concept of the Punisher War Journal to tell the stories. Hopefully someone will realise this, and stop trying to shoehorn this guy into these other ideas they have.

What a great idea, as long as it stayed completely away from the networks. Cable is the only wat to go here, or we'd get a watered down version for damn sure.

I'm reminded of the television show "The Equaliser" as an example of a possible structure for the series. It's not quite the same, thematically, because Frank is into punishing the guilty, not necessarily helping the innocent or powerless. But there would need to be elements of a variety of emotions and moral issues explored, along with the violence itself, if any Punisher series is to avoid tediousness.

If something like this ever does occur, PLEASE let Wayne Knight be Microchip!? He's just perfect and his interaction with Frank was so touching to me.

Nomad

What a great idea, as long as it stayed completely away from the networks. Cable is the only wat to go here, or we'd get a watered down version for damn sure.

I'm reminded of the television show "The Equaliser" as an example of a possible structure for the series. It's not quite the same, thematically, because Frank is into punishing the guilty, not necessarily helping the innocent or powerless. But there would need to be elements of a variety of emotions and moral issues explored, along with the violence itself, if any Punisher series is to avoid tediousness.

If something like this ever does occur, PLEASE let Wayne Knight be Microchip!? He's just perfect and his interaction with Frank was so touching to me.

Nomad

I've been saying an HBO series since I was a member of this board. All the stories you can do with it.