Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

Actually, Lexi Alexander went and touched up Santora's script and then Marcum & Holloway punched that version up. According to Sutter, the only thing from his draft taht survived was Russoti getting tossed into the glass grinding machine.

But since Santora's name is still on it, plenty of his ideas were left intact.

One thing I remember Tom Jane saying in an interview was that he wanted the movie to be like Taxi Driver...A few people I know of got on his case about it and took it as him saying he wanted to turn Frank Castle into Travis Bickle...And when I read what Tom said it didnt sound to me like thats what he wanted at all. It just sounded like he wanted that same dark, gritty and slightly depressing tone that Taxi Driver had...And I agree completely with that...I already feel as if the new Warzone movie isnt gonna have that dark, serious tone I was hoping for. But its alright because my standards are pretty low for this film, I hope its at least as good as Death Sentence or Hitman, since the movie definitely looks comparable to them already.

Hello, this is my first post on the internet, (no joke) Its a little late here and I’m tired but hey finally working up the nerve to rant to others the horrors you know is worth it, apologies for any horrible spelling or grammar mistakes in advance.

I’m from Montréal, I know several people who were involved directly or indirectly with the film, I even got to see and yes read a shooting script. ( Not a pre-production script a shooting script.) On top of that I witnessed how the film got brought to Montreal and why. Oh and yes the shooting script changed.....due to locations and budgets not because of say a genius idea the writers or director had, needless to say most of what you have read or had access to online is what the shooting script was.

And more importantly I really have to say something about the Punisher Warzone rant above. (The long one posted by Nomad)

It sucks. Your friend’s explanation sucks. Not only does it suck but is has a few large logic holes that it leaves out.

1) This film is not going to suck because of the script, editors, crew, actors, studio, or even the director its going to suck because all of these people working together created a perfect storm of crap. On their own all of them are talented artists, together like those annoying kids on captain planet the formed a vortex of crap so large that not even Shiva destroyer of worlds could compare with its awesome powers of destroying our hopes of a good punisher film. The unbelievable part is we ditched the western to do a Ennis style movie and we got instead a fantastic four or even spider man 3, pile of crap, Don’t believe me? Mute the trailer and watch and compare that with the last ten minutes or so of the first punisher, and while your at it find shots of jigsaws face and costume and shudder in horror, that should seal the deal, if that doesn’t work remember that people online at other sites have actually thought Steven Seagull is doing this film from press photos....if the fan boys goes into the forest but nobody else goes, does the forest still make money?

2) Seriously LionsGate you dropped the ball. When people are still arguing on whether this is a reboot or not ( the fan boys don’t matter they know without you telling them what blood type the punisher has in his last comic series, the others are still wondering if this is a sequel, prequel, crapathon, or whatnot cause you have NOT MARKETED THE FILM!.) Oh and viral marketing only works when your Harvy Dent. Period.

3) How the hell is it Thomas Janes fault??? The one thing that got people renting the last one was his performance, not the script. Thomas Jane wasn’t needed to do another film granted but You didn’t listen to the actor who made the first one sell decently on DVD and he left so shut up move on and realize you got yourselves to blame.

4) If you like this film trailer then you liked hitmans trailer, and for those who saw hitman and played the games we all know that’s bad ( by liked I don’t mean “ hey that was a great pop corn flick worth $12 once or even a rental or cheap buy.” More of a “ HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS I HAVE NEVER THOUGHT FILM COULD TRANSCEND MY LIFE TO THE NEXT LEVEL OF EXISTENCE I THINK I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO ENJOY LIFE IF NOT WATCHING THIS OR BLADE 3 EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE FROM NOW ON.”) This my friends are rabid fan boys, they are scary if only because all logic, truth and reason will forever be ignored by them since if the trailer has explosions, women, or explosive women with a nice score underneath the trailer their sold.

5) Sweet god your friend makes it sound like she burnt a few bridges let me tell you a funny little story, everyone in Montreal is still talking about the train wreck that she was in charge of, plus she managed to piss off not one not two but all four major film unions in town with her antics. She didn’t burn bridges she nuked entire cities in her wake. She fired the same guy THREE TIMES from her unit and then when he transferred to the second unit she fired him AGAIN....not saying he didn’t deserve it but How the hell do fire someone three times?

6) Have you ever heard of Boondock Saints. Great Movie. Cult Classic, some strong performances from a underrated but talented cast, tight script, and hell they even had a hanging-from-the-ceiling-shoot-out between the saints and the Russians. What does that film and Punisher warzone have in common. The epic story of how two directors given a gold plate with all the right pieces screwed up and how big name producers walk over their corpses to survive.

7) If any of you have ever read a work by Nick Santoraaaa whatever his name is, or seen his website you will almost immediately understand why it’s bad that his name is still on the script.....

On that note I need to sleep perhaps watching green street hooligans or reading punisher truth rants about Lexi being a victim will put me to sleep but alas most likely i will settle for Batman Forever,

Until this film comes out.

~KROMTAR SMASH!~

Sutter basically said "The movie is a piece of shit."

When did he say that? Everything I've ever seen from him had him really saying nothing but good things. Even after he removed his name from the film, not a real foul word. All he said is that hardly anything he wrote remained.

He didn't say it was a piece of shit so much as say it was going to be just another formulaic cliched comic book movie. Which Lexi apparently got pissed off at.

simple story, very obvious dialog and the inclusion of as many characters from the anthology that a movie will allow.

The connotation to Taxi Driver has been interpreted many different ways.

And somewhere in these 132 freaking pages I spoke to the true meaning behind Tom's statement.

Suffice it to say that, no, Tom didn't want to rehash Taxi Driver.

The idea was to attempt to make something of equal impact which sets the bar very high.

Taxi Driver is gritty and dirty; the ugly underbelly of society, and it's completely believable.

Sticking Frank Castle into Travis Bickle's shoes would not make a good Punisher film.

However, if you took Frank Castle and you plopped him down into a world close to what was created by Paul Schrader and Martin Scorsese, then you have a recipe for the tone Tom was looking for. Then throw Jigsaw into the mix (just for kicks, imagine Paddy Considine there). Now you begin to understand the direction TJ wanted to go. Now imagine Walter Hill directing - going back to his filmmaking roots.

Now imagine you are handed a script that is a complete 180 from this concept.

A lot of people argue that a more serious film adaptation of The Punisher is silly or wouldn't work. I strongly disagree.

They say, "c'mon, it's a comic book movie for chrissakes", or "serious is boring". I cringe when I hear the IQ level drop off towards this line of . . . thinking is perhaps too strong a word. Maybe that line of thinking would work for an adaptation of an earlier Punisher incarnation, or for that matter, the current War Journal. But this is based on Ennis' Punisher Max, which creates the perfect opportunity to check out of a formulaic template and into deeper territory. I think we could have had the best of both worlds, a harmonious blend of the best of what makes The Punisher a great comic book character, coupled with a realistic, dramatic, and hardcore cinematic approach. The Punisher is one of the few characters from a world dominated by super heroes that could have a chance at real cinematic immortality beyond the comic book page. If what most people want out of their comic book films is a Stephen Summers' adaptation of something dark and serious in tone like . . . say, Scalped - just because it's a fucking comic book, then we're just not speaking the same language. Fair enough.

The above statement is not shared in an attempt to take a dump on what Warzone came to be (Especially 'cause we're still waiting to see for ourselves).

I am in no way calling into question the work of the creators that took over the franchise.

Only speculating on what might have been if TJ and the studio had found common ground.

- Tb

The Taxi Driver thing was on the first page.

But it also didn't mean that he wanted a "like" journey for the character or for that matter to have it play out in any way like the narrative in Taxi Driver.

And I'm not saying that's what you mean.

I only mean to clarify that by saying he wants a Punisher film like Taxi Driver, Tom meant he wanted that seedy, realistic portrayal of the events, a dark urban story that gets to the guts of the characterizations. A bare bones look at the underbelly of society and the monsters that exist there. The feel and the vibe of Taxi Driver which is a lonely story of a lonely man who responds to the violence with his own brand of violence. He's the monster's monster. That's how Tom saw Frank Castle. A hard "R" for very mature subject matter and an unflinching look at the violence that exists in that world. Frank's world.

- TB

And as much as Ennis despises superhero, I'd say he get them though. Like the JLA/Hitman two parter that came out recently, I thought he wrote Clark Kent/Superman pretty great really.

Especially 'cause we're still waiting to see for ourselves.

The only thing we're waiting for is to see how terrible it really is.

And I'm gonna exclude myself from that statement because I KNOW what's coming.

Jane knows what's coming.

And I'm sure the few intelligent people on this board know what's coming.

In a few months, the people that supported Warzone will get exactly what they deserve...

A slap in the face.

-TL

I think you deserve a slap in the face...

Don't blame me for Warzone's failure.

Blame the people that made a mediocre movie starring Frank Castle.

Blame the people that adapted Ennis' MAX into a live action cartoon.

Blame the people that said no to a crime drama and said yes to a cheesy generic action movie.

But you know what? In the end this movie teaches a valuable lesson to all of those that supported Warzone.

Because next time they will...

cheese2rb5.jpg

Pass on the word.

-TL

The Taxi Driver thing was on the first page.

And as much as Ennis despises superhero, I'd say he get them though. Like the JLA/Hitman two parter that came out recently, I thought he wrote Clark Kent/Superman pretty great really.

Ennis may not be very keen on superheroes as a whole, but he loves Superman.

Don't blame me for Warzone's failure.

Blame the people that made a mediocre movie starring Frank Castle.

I love that you've been to the future and have seen the movie. It's awesome.

And somewhere in these 132 freaking pages I spoke to the true meaning behind Tom's statement.

The idea was to attempt to make something of equal impact which sets the bar very high.

The fact that you still feel compelled to explain the reference to Taxi Driver just shows how visceral people's reactions were, and are, to that film. It doesn't have the market cornered on gritty and realistic, but it does evoke a sort of iconic image that is hard to seperate out. I think that's what confuses people. Well, it confused me for a while, anyway.

k-skye

Taxi Driver is gritty and dirty; the ugly underbelly of society, and it's completely believable.

Sticking Frank Castle into Travis Bickle's shoes would not make a good Punisher film.

However, if you took Frank Castle and you plopped him down into a world close to what was created by Paul Schrader and Martin Scorsese, then you have a recipe for the tone Tom was looking for. Then throw Jigsaw into the mix (just for kicks, imagine Paddy Considine there). Now you begin to understand the direction TJ wanted to go. Now imagine Walter Hill directing - going back to his filmmaking roots.

Now imagine you are handed a script that is a complete 180 from this concept.

A lot of people argue that a more serious film adaptation of The Punisher is silly or wouldn't work. I strongly disagree.

They say, "c'mon, it's a comic book movie for chrissakes", or "serious is boring". I cringe when I hear the IQ level drop off towards this line of . . . thinking is perhaps too strong a word. Maybe that line of thinking would work for an adaptation of an earlier Punisher incarnation, or for that matter, the current War Journal. But this is based on Ennis' Punisher Max, which creates the perfect opportunity to check out of a formulaic template and into deeper territory. I think we could have had the best of both worlds, a harmonious blend of the best of what makes The Punisher a great comic book character, coupled with a realistic, dramatic, and hardcore cinematic approach. The Punisher is one of the few characters from a world dominated by super heroes that could have a chance at real cinematic immortality beyond the comic book page. If what most people want out of their comic book films is a Stephen Summers' adaptation of something dark and serious in tone like . . . say, Scalped - just because it's a fucking comic book, then we're just not speaking the same language. Fair enough.

The above statement is not shared in an attempt to take a dump on what Warzone came to be (Especially 'cause we're still waiting to see for ourselves).

I am in no way calling into question the work of the creators that took over the franchise.

Only speculating on what might have been if TJ and the studio had found common ground.- Tb

And to this day it still kills me that we're never gonna see it...What Tom had planned for Punisher 2 had me excited as hell...I think that The Punisher could be every bit as iconic as Batman is...

you know if this movie does bomb, do you think they would call Mr. Jane back and ask if he would do another one the way he wanted too? I mean i know it's probably something Mr. Jane wants to move away from now......but maybe if it did fail, that would be what it takes for the studio to give someone correct the reins? I would hate to think this movie would be the one that kills the franchise...i would have no probem forgetting a movie in order to get to one i was waiting for....

Guest AdminGuyX

There will be another Punisher film someday. The character is too strong on paper not to come back in some fashion.

i sure hope so.....i mean look how many batmans we had to go through to get to the one that most resembles the comic

They say, "c'mon, it's a comic book movie for chrissakes",

- Tb

I know that the masses will probably never get over the use of "comic book" to infer "for children", but as an avid fan of the medium, I'm getting really sick of people saying that. Granted the men/women in tights have always been front and center, but there are a lot of really serious books out there, more serious than some of the crap Hollywood shoves down our throats.

Sorry, it's been nagging on me for a while now. Had to get it out. ;)

Guest FADoss

TL,

Your assumption that no intelligent person could support War Zone is a bit daft. I could argue that no intelligent person would read comic books either. How's that for elitism? And MANY people think that's true.

I know you feel the need to be the IN guy...Jane's buddy...smarter than everyone else...right. I get that...and I still love ya. :)

I really think that regardless of what you see in December you'll hate it. You'll get on here and flame it just so you don't have to eat crow.

And also, I hope you aren't lumping me into the idiot War Zone supporters? I've not been raising ANY flags saying this will be a great film. I've spent most of my time attempting to counter flagrant illogical arguments, slander and bullshit coming from your direction.

And that slap in the face will definitely be figurative. :D

Tim,

My only statement about a more realistic Punisher film is that it goes against the grain of the core of who Frank is. I'm all about a Dark Knight Punisher film (AND YES I KNOW THAT IS NOT GOING TO BE WAR ZONE). A film that respects the comic book elements without tossing the baby out with the bath water. You can make a SERIOUS comic book film. Hope you haven't misunderstood my comments.

I don't want spandex and white gloves. I like being in a world where Daredevil and Spidey are out there. I like some of Punisher's Super Villains. I also like the grittiness of Ennis. But one without the other just doesn't work for me...at least not as the same story.

Fred

Tim Bradstreet-

I say relax. All of this pre-film frenzy soap opera can get almost as theatrical and melodramatic as a fucking movie.

for real! There's 133 pages of anticipation here and though I think its great to breakdown a film concept cause this thread did reveal a lot of insight into peoples take on the Punisher and the stories' dynamics- that's all cool and everything- but WAY too much analysis and speculation will totally trash your experience of the movie. Cause some of you will be watching it and will be trying to figure out how to justify your predictions during the whole thing.

chill out- for those that expect to hate it- it might surprise you.

for those that expect to love it- it might surprise you.

I'm just sayin don't ruin it for yourselves. All this can make it stale.

They should make a movie about a bunch of guys talking about a movie before it comes out and one of em loses his shit and kills everyone.

sveinx

i get what your saying, but isnt that why the thread started? to have a place where fans of punisher could hash out our feelings on it? i mean killing people over it might be a little much dont you think? seems to me we all are having fun, expressing our feeling on it....and last time i checked,we were still allowed to do that.....

you know i've been to alot of forums where people just argued to argue, and thats a waste frankly, but here, i've actually learned things about the movies we talk about....i kinda like round house talks like these....and they keep me informed too....so theres banter among the fans....it's all apart of the love for the industry i say....

I have to agree. I love coming here just to read what people write, and how they feel about this movie, Jane's movie, and all the different interpretations of the character. There have been a few people who seem very angry or just plain pissed off about random things, and I find those to be the most amusing thing to read.

I have to agree. I love coming here just to read what people write, and how they feel about this movie, Jane's movie, and all the different interpretations of the character. There have been a few people who seem very angry or just plain pissed off about random things, and I find those to be the most amusing thing to read.

Yeah I do the same thing:)I love coming here and reading what people think about PWZ and The 04 film.I might write something here or there,but I think it's best to keep out of it sometimes.I really like the 04 film(I don't think it was the best Punisher film,but it was way better then the 89 film) and I don't know if PWZ is going the best Punisher film.But I give it a chance and it seems like they understand the character this time.Plus I like what I see so far:)( I will admit that I didn't like the purple background behind Ray. But do you know what, it grew on me)

I loves me a good ol' heated discussion, but hijacking threads and post-whoring hearsay and contradictions is lame.

Back to topic...

Microchip!

BAM!

:)