Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

Jimmy took over Bulworth in Part I, Part II has an older Jimmy fighting to regain control and facing a new nemesis that wants to reign the playgrounds and hallways.

-TL

Bully 2's coming? Are you 100% sure on that? Bully was amazing, I loved it. But I heard that it didn't sell enough copies to warrant a sequel. If a sequel's coming... fucking sweet.

The scanner's acting up, so here's my will to read and type:

"Top Video Games December

BULLY: SCHOLARSHIP (Wii, X360)

Rockstar's translation of its Grand Theft Auto formula into an oak-hall private school set off one of the greatest romps ever to Rollerblade in the hallways and raid the girls' dormitory. The original PS2 game placed you in the shoes of a roughed-up runt rising to alpha male dominance at a well-to-do school where his mom and stepfather deposit him in hopes of getting some more intimate time together. Setting off smoke bombs in the hallways, befriending the local homeless man, kissing the girls and earning your cred the hard way among all the school's cliques was a riot, and the new rendition for next-gen consoles promises a deluxe edition with added features and content. BW"

*From Wizard Magazine #195 (January 2008)

It may sound like just a re-release for better consoles hence better graphics, but there's yet another article I read (also looking for link), that actually confirms it as a follow up/Part II. The title gives it away, clearly indicating a senior year for bad brother Jimmy.

-TL

Guest FADoss

Thanks Kwiat...

I fell into this category:

"Some fans expressed anger with the fact that the "Punisher" storyline took a lot of liberties from the original comic, including a change of setting from New York City to Tampa, Fla."

And as much as I loved Tom and thought he played the role flawlessly...I thought he was too "pretty". I think Ray has the more fucked up look I associate with The Punisher. He looks like he's been in a lot of scraps.

Frederic

Guest AdminGuyX

Dude, you can't just go fucking with a man's artwork like that!!!!!!

EGADS!!

Tim, send Tom O'Brien over there to kick his ass already!

And YES, I know you didn't do those Fred, I'm just busting your chops for posting this shit on the BRADSTREET board.

The first one, where Frank's holding the Ruger Super Blackhawk, that's my favorite Punisher illustration ever. I have a super clean print of the "real" one hanging in my office.

Ray's head looks a bit small in that . . .

haha...

Truth be told...

Two of those are ones that I did. And neither are completely finished. You can guess which ones I did.

And as much as I loved Tom and thought he played the role flawlessly...I thought he was too "pretty". I think Ray has the more fucked up look I associate with The Punisher. He looks like he's been in a lot of scraps.

Frederic

I see TJ as a starting Frank Castle/Punisher... just beginning. Ray Stevenson is like 10 years later after all that warfare. A before and after so to speak. This is just in terms of looks I'm talking about.

Yeah, actually, I manipped Tim's cover (the Mother Russia one) to have Stevenson's face on it. On my own behalf and on the behalf of everybody else who used Tim's art for their manips, it's because he's the definitive Punisher artist of this decade... the work speaks for itself. They're obviously manips and obviously not meant to claim credit for his work. We use them because they kick ass. If Tim wants me to take down the image, I will do so out of total respect for him.

Doss I really wonder where you come up with this shit. "Too Pretty". Do you feel Steve McQueen was too pretty? Now, if its a "I want the Punisher to look like he's been through hell" mentality, then I say - TJ woulda STILL been right on the money. Look at those Cal Macdonald covers, they're PURE Frank Castle.

Arsh, I prefer your take on this - in seeing Stevenson as an evolution from Thomas Jane. I don't agree, but I feel its a legitimate way of lookin at it and a smart way of trying to cope with the change of actors.

-TL

You know I've heard maybe 2 or 3 people say that they thought Tom was "too pretty". He's not "too pretty". He has that rugged look. The good rugged look kinda like a Harrison Ford thing. I'm not saying he looks like Harrison but in terms of the way they look, they can be described the same way. That rugged action movie type look. He's a good looking guy none the less. I wouldn't call Tom a pretty boy though. He can fuck you up haha. Pretty boys are pansies most of the time.

You know I've heard maybe 2 or 3 people say that they thought Tom was "too pretty". He's not "too pretty". He has that rugged look. The good rugged look kinda like a Harrison Ford thing. I'm not saying he looks like Harrison but in terms of the way they look, they can be described the same way. That rugged action movie type look. He's a good looking guy none the less. I wouldn't call Tom a pretty boy though. He can fuck you up haha. Pretty boys are pansies most of the time.

True that man.

Justin Timberlake or whatever the hell you say his name is a pretty boy.

Theres a certain look to rugged looks.

Noe -

I totally appreciate the sentiments, truly.

But this is the age we live in and I am very used to seeing the "manips" (lovely nomenclature).

Seen a ton over at Punisher.com over the years and I guess I never really was offended by them.

Maybe when I saw the first few, really bad digital manips with people's faces pasted on them.

My thought is, hey, interesting idea, and done right they are pretty fun.

I DO take it as a sincere form of flattery. Also all the desktop reconfigures.

I understand what Fred means when he says Jane was too "pretty" for him as Castle but I do not agree.

I know that face pretty well, and aside from a stupid "glam" shoot they did with Jane, complete with purple lights and sweat beads (One of those was on the cover to Wizard), I'd say that Jane looks 100% "lived in".

Scar on the chin, rugged, etc. Tom as Cal McDonald (as TL, mentions), is even closer to the look I might have given him.

Ray is a bruiser, no question. But again, this falls under "Personal Interpretation" territory.

EVERYONE has differing viewpoints on this subject so it's useless to beat it to death.

It will only inspire anger and resentment towards our RAW bretheren to pursue the line.

We'd get into that whole Connery VS Moore arguement, or even better, a Connery VS Craig.

It kind of IS like Bonds changing. Like it or not we are dealing with a beloved actor being replaced.

It's never a seemless transition and we all have to be realistic about that.

Hey, argue away on the subject, just keep it clean compadres.

Cheers - TB

Guest FADoss

I think Tom was to Frank as Keaton was to Batman. Keaton was NOT what anyone expected when they looked at Bruce Wayne, but he pulled it off with flying colors. He WAS Batman. However, now we have Christian Bale and he's the PERFECT Batman in that he has the character and the true look of the character down pat.

I think Tom was an amazing Punisher...I'm just not convinced that Ray won't be better in that he looks more the part. I mean, every but of art prior to the film, if you would have showed it to me (to include Tim's work) and then showed me a picture of Tom and then a picture of Ray and asked me who LOOKED more like the Punisher, I'd say Ray...hands down.

From everything I've seen he has the acting talent to bring to the screen as well. I seriously HOPE for all of our sakes that he pulls it off.

I realize that this is Tom's board and that there will be a lot of biased opinions out there. I love the man as an actor and creator. I'm just totally objective about the whole thing.

My sincerest hope is that whatever made Tom walk off the project has been fixed and we get a great film.

Frederic

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, just for the record, I do accept the reality of the age we live in too. I work in photoshop every day like a lot of you guys, and some of these "manips" are quite good. I've only ever done it once myself. A gallows image, I sepiatoned out. I didn't change it beyond that though. It's actually on my desktop!

:)

I wasn't being the least bit serious in my post, BTW.

Still, I just couldn't let that slide, now could I?

And on the issue of Tom being "too pretty" and kind of knowing that Fred didn't mean to incite Justin Timberlake comparisons, I think Tom was a perfect Steve Dillon looking punisher. A younger looking guy, and to the point a "good looking" guy. Dillon's Punisher to me always looked late 30's early 40's kind of world weary.

But I think I know what Fred meant, and I don't think it was boy band pretty! :)

Some artists make him look very Italian, especially in the older days, but the fellow doing War Journal right now gives him a wider nose, and a more ethnic look than some others do.

And Bond is actually a good comparison. Mind you, Bond has sort of transcended identity, but that doesn't mean he's got to be the only character to do that. We've had 3 actors "officially" playing him, and a slew of unknowns in fan films and such.

I've watched a lot of these, maybe that's why I'm open to the new film.

Noeland - ;)

Fred - Apples and Oranges though right?

Still, I'm not quite on board with the Keaton analogy.

I hear what you are saying in a generalized sort of way, but the Keaton thing was also completely different in terms of mass fan approval.

Fans were up in ARMS when Keaton was cast as he was primarily know as a comedy actor.

To most folks, if not all, he looked nothing like the charcter. Nor did it seem that his pedigree as an actor was enough to get people on board with the idea. It seemed that the only guy who believed in him was Tim Burton. I worked in a shop at the time and I can tell you, the comics community was outraged.

It was like Andy Kaufman being cast as Superman.

Until they saw the first trailer.

Not trying to nitpick or argue semantics, I'm just saying that there is a lot more baggage associated with that analogy than the points you touch on, consequently I don't see it as quite the same thing.

I do agree that Ray seems more beefy and more like some of the recent portrayal of the character, like Olivetti's.

I think he's a good fit. You have no idea the sigh of relief I experienced when I saw Ray had been cast. I was sure they were going to go for a pro wrestler or some such nonsense. Thankfully we got a guy with the looks, the chops, and a man who knows what violence is when it comes to a character like this. We're way better off than I thought we'd be.

As for who is better in the role? Only time will tell what the popular consenses will decide.

Apples and Oranges? Or Apples and Entrails.

- TB

Tom looked to me like the Castle that was present in Year One or early Punisher issues... from the 90s... possibly yeah, Steve Dillon Punisher. Ray looks like the version drawn in MAX by Lan Medina or Leandro Fernandez. His look in MAX is quite different from the general MU... more hardened. Tom does look like the younger incarnation of Castle and Ray is what Tom's version would eventually change into... it's odd, yeah, but interesting to see. That's why the change of actors doesn't bother me. There are different versions in the comics and it's like the different versions in comics are coinciding with different film versions.

Ok, this is how I wanted to show it:

To me, this is Tom, an image from Born with a young Captain Castle:

punisher_born_3_13.jpg

And this is Ray, a page from the recent Widowmaker art:

pun_max_45_04.jpg

Sidenote: Third and fourth manips were ones that I had done. Still... incomplete though. So... Tim, you don't at all have a problem with them? Cool.

Guest FADoss

Tim,

You're right, Tom is a hell of a lot closer to FC than Keaton was to BW. However, Batman has a much bigger following and pop culture presence. Keaton was also famous for doing comedy up to that point. Tom wasn't widely known at the time. I saw him and said...well he can act (loved him in "The Sweetest Thing" and "Dreamcatcher") and he kind of looks the part. We'll see.

But when I think Punisher, I'm thinking:

1-3.jpg

punm2f.jpg

ASM129Cover.jpg

WAIT A SECOND...that last cover kind of looks like Steven Segal...The way he's holding the rifle and...HOLY FUCK!!!

punisher-first-ray.jpg

Just saying...

To me, Tom looked like the Steve Dillon version as well. Also a little like the early to late 90's version. I think Dolph, looks like the Jim Lee and Mike Zeck versions. And I think Ray looks like Lan Medina's or just the all around MAX series Punisher look. TL, I felt that I could always compare Tom and Harrison to each other for some reason. Harrison happens to be my favorite actor. He's my idol. Tom is my favorite somewhat "younger" actor. If I may though, I would guess that if Tim were in charge of casting Frank, I think he would have chose Dominic West actually. Now we're gonna see him as Jigsaw though. Kind of a funny situation. That's my guess though.

You know what movie was on the other night? Deep Blue Sea. I love Tom in that movie. I swear if the CGI was a tid-bit better, the movie woulda been great. Or it could just be the one fuckin scene wear Sam Jackson gets eaten by the shark. CHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEZY as hell. A great movie all around though. And I love the movie score my Trevor Rabin.

I don't see Seagal in the first Punisher cover at all Doss. And the Jane movies you mentioned are terrible examples of pre-Castle performances.

Thursday would be the best film to watch, its practically his bloodiest role next to The Punisher. Aside from that, is Stander. But you already saw that, right? Truth of the matter is, you seem to prefer foreign actors because they have a finesse us white guys don't have. I don't see that as a flaw though. I like Christian Bale and I like Gerard Butler. I like Russell Crowe and I like Julian McMahon. Yet I prefer Mickey Rourke and Thomas Jane a thousand times more than those guys. When I read for a role, those are the guys I identify with. I've been told I sound like Chris Walken most of the time.

I'm only bringin up background, because I see a pattern in the actors you seem to admire. Hopefully you're not judging Stevenson based on looks and instead on acting (hopefully NOT just King Arthur and Rome). Look at that suckass Brandon Routh that along with the rest of the Superman Returns cast went straight to the shitter.

Raffi, Harrison Ford is the ultimate American action hero. I own EVERY film he's done - including The Conversation and Apocalypse Now. His best HAS to be Raiders though. I know Street would shake his head and say "These young cats got no respect for Blade Runner". Anyway, I think Frank Castle shoulda been an American the same way I loved Michael Keaton (Pennsylvania native) as Batman. I enjoy Bale very much and I'll be first in line in Santa Monica for Dark Knight in July. I just feel that much like TJ's situation, Mike Keaton deserved a third and darker Burton Batman film to go out. TWO awesome movies just wasn't enough.

-TL

TL, I feel ya on the Keaton thing buddy. You're prolly right about Tim shaken his head to Blade Runner haha. I love that movie. In fact, I was just listening to the musical score on the road just a few moments ago. It's a good sountrack by Vangelis. I also own the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". So I think I'm in good hands. It's not just one of my favorites. I just got Apocolypse now for 8 fuckin dollars on dvd. Special edition. Hell of a price. Journey to Shiloh was on tv the other night. An older western movie starring James Caan. Harrison is one of his supporting actors. When I was a kid, the only two movies I watched were the Punisher and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. They were released the same year. EVERY FUCKIN DAY I WOULD WATCH THEM BOTH. I know every single line in every Indy movie. I'm a loser.